The new AI - your thoughts

• Thread starter tomcat66
  • 282 comments
Okay maybe I was dreaming or hallucinating. But, on Saturday I was doing the latest seasonal A-Spec races. In both the beginner and intermediate races I had a the AI came up behind me as I was cornering. I braced for impact and began to curse at them for ramming me then the AI car braked and backed off. I also had cars avoid the racing line while I was passing them on the inside of tight corners instead of smashing into the side of my car and pushing me into the grass.

Then once I got to the expert race the ramming and down right malicious driving commenced again.

The AI in the intermediate race was also running off in the final chicane at the Nurburgring GP circuit quite a bit. In fact I ended up in first on the last lap because the leader (who was 5 seconds ahead of me at the time) had gone off there and then waited for me to go by before coming back on track. This reminded me of the frustrating B-Spec moments when my bob would go off and would sit on the grass until the entire field went by. Maybe B-Spec is on the horizon?

I think the A.I. is given boost to be able to keep up. I watched the replay of the Intermediate race on Nurbürgring focusing on the lead cars after I passed them. I saw that, on the straights, their speedometer would glitch then start to climb much more quickly. Also, a weird tire squeal would start at the same time this happened.

Maybe this is why they overshoot the corners, because they were going much faster than they could handle due to the boost?

I think the A.I. is given boost to be able to keep up. I watched the replay of the Intermediate race on Nurbürgring focusing on the lead cars after I passed them. I saw that, on the straights, their speedometer would glitch then start to climb much more quickly. Also, a weird tire squeal would start at the same time this happened.

Maybe this is why they overshoot the corners, because they were going much faster than they could handle due to the boost?
This sounds somehow Illuminati-ish, but it is possible and it would explain, as you said, their "high level" cornering... :lol:

This sounds somehow Illuminati-ish, but it is possible and it would explain, as you said, their "high level" cornering... :lol:
Illuminati-ish? Is this the real B-Spec bob...
subgenius.jpg

I just ran the race at the Nurburgring and you're absolutely right. For the first lap I focused on the lead car and after the first lap the car topped out at 157 on the straight, no tire squeal and took a nice leisurely line into the corner. After the second lap I'd already passed the leader and on the straight the car was now doing 180, getting that tire squeal like it was getting a big boost, and went straight into the sand. :lol::lol:

This psycho stayed on my ass for 3/5 laps despite the fact I caught up to him with absolute ease, so not only is the rubber banding seemingly getting worse
it's not getting worse, it's just there. You catch up to him quickly because of it. Remember he has the Huayra which is an acceleration freak. It seems that Huayra always misses the last chicane or last turn, remember that.
On intermediate, there are no penalties, make them pay for ramming you.

How, exactly - is this better than before?
it's more realistic to have drivers randomly make mistakes, I know I'm bound to make more, including coming too hot in a corner and ramming my opponent, if I'm fighting for the lead with 2 laps left.
Before the "new" IA, cars would just never go off track, like the bots they are, now they seem more "human".

"Illuminati" doesn't exist, it's the adults' boogeyman. The Rothschilds, on the contrary, are very much real.

Liking the new AI, it's more playful.

I had not really noticed it until the latest round of challenges, but on the Nurbürgring races things seemed different, and once I got a handle on how it was going to behave, more fun.

Getting left just enough room on the inside by the back-markers while coming through, overpowered cars missing braking points, and other more fun shenanigans. Sure it's clumsy on attack, but you know that and it's up to you do deal with it, and I thought that was fun.

Not rubberbanding: I liked that they went to some effort to have the AI appear to to have race reasons to close the gap to a player ahead or behind, rather than just appear magically at the next corner. Having the AI adjust it's effort based on player speed is not just more sporting, it's realistic, in that a driver who quali's 1st will happily cruise at 8/10ths if that will win, but when pressed going faster and making a mistake makes sense.

I both like and dislike it. It's the rubberbanding that are anoying.

I did the 500 PP Laguna Seca a few weeks back: I trailed P1 on the 4th lap, he went in to the sandtrap in turn 1 on the 5th lap :D. By the first sector he was 4.5 seconds behind me. By the second sector, he was 2 seconds behind. I won by a few tenths :odd:

Just did the Nurburgring GP one, chase the rabbit standard affair till the end of lap 2 when I caught the leader Mclaren F1, passed him then something amazing happened, for the next 2 laps he gave me a great battle, the first time in a GT game where I was impressed with an AI overtake, then came the last lap and all hell was set loose, most other cars were having huge offs and of course the last lap was ruined.

I don't know what you are doing PD but those 2 laps you did something right and I have to say this game will be something else with proper AI.

In the La sarthe seasonal i see cars in the sand at the end of mouseline on lap one every time lol.. earlier i saw 3 in there and one putting along after the straight that looked to be serving a penalty.

This is how my Nurburgring seasonal went.

Oh my gosh :lol::lol: I don't mind the boosting so much, I understand PD might just be finding a way to give the player a challenge but I really wish the AI would at least recognize a vehicle in front of it and use the brakes. I don't care if it's a human or an AI, getting punted is the WORST :mad:

Watching that video, I wonder if the AI cars all get a boost when in proximity to the player? To have the whole field go flying into the sand trap is just crazy!!

Oh my god that was hilarious. This AI is a joke you people defending this nonsense are insane.

Idiotic and psychotic behaviour isn't synonymous with challenging or engaging. The old AI was boring but at least they leave you in peace after getting through the rolling chicane - being pitted and bashed off the track and having them fall off the track every corner is not entertaining it feels like driving with children.

Yeah I totally agree with you that the AIs are idiotic and psychotic. I'm not defending any position to say the AIs are good though. The AIs are still bad and need major improvement. However, as of now, we can change our view to make it fun and here is my 2 cents:

1. Treat the AIs as moving chicane or moving corners. Most of us are pretty good with fixed tracks with fixed corner position already so the challenge is what if the corners can move unpredictably just like the AIs do. The goal here is to pass them as cleanly as possible without any contact just like you move through the fixed corner. This could be a challenge!

2. Once you take the lead, treat the AIs as human bomb or rocket or whatever that will shoot you and make you explode. By viewing the AIs like this, you can view the game as you have to drive like you just rob the bank and being chased down by the police. They have no interest in racing, they only have the interest to catch you. Then, the challenge become how do you position the car in a line so that you can avoid their rear ending and as the same time get to the finish line the fastest. This is definitely harder than just driving through the racing line. Challenging isn't it!
I remember the GT Academy show has featured something like this where the racers have to drive the fastest they can and the car following them constantly shoot them with paint gun haha.

2. Once you take the lead, treat the AIs as human bomb or rocket or whatever that will shoot you and make you explode. By viewing the AIs like this, you can view the game as you have to drive like you just rob the bank and being chased down by the police. They have no interest in racing, they only have the interest to catch you. Then, the challenge become how do you position the car in a line so that you can avoid their rear ending and as the same time get to the finish line the fastest. This is definitely harder than just driving through the racing line. Challenging isn't it!

Well you certainly have to watch your rear view mirrors all the time in the seasonal races. And you can see the AI cars sliding around behind you and doing other crazy stuff. But just pay attention when you close in on a tight corner because they obviously try to kill you :lol:

I don't recall the AI in the old PS1 "Formula 1 '97" game being this terrible.
There were qualifications (with AI on the track as well, they needed to qualify too...).
There were gridstarts with at least 21 cars.
There were flags, fuel depletion, changing weather conditions and car failures.

FWIW that was ~18 years ago...
The AI in GT6 is still in "beta" compared to that ancient tech.

I like the new AI. Rubberband, boost or whatever. In gt5, once u catch the rabbit, its over and becomes a tt. In this seasonals, your race just begin when u catch the rabbit. Once caught, they do 5 to 30 seconds faster per lap to race u or run u over. I usually use a car 50-100pp less than allowed so the rabbit car will almost always try to overtake on straights which makes for an entertaining race. Once they punt me off, which is fairly common, the fight at the rear is also highly entertaining with cars making mistakes n overtaking each other. And the rabbit slows for another dogfight. So far been quite lucky, the AI rearend me about 1-5 times per race only.

Yeah it can be nerve racking sometimes hahaha. The AIs are saying: "You sure you wanna pass me, you sure wanna passsssss me...look at me baby, look at me... I gonna freaking wreck your a** big time babyyyyyyy... " and then bammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm you out of the track then AIs keep staring at you and "You got that babbbyyy, don't you ever dare to pass me again, yo" and zroooooommmmmm away to the finish line. :D :D :D

Well you certainly have to watch your rear view mirrors all the time in the seasonal races. And you can see the AI cars sliding around behind you and doing other crazy stuff. But just pay attention when you close in on a tight corner because they obviously try to kill you :lol:

Anybody noticing some differences in the A.I., since maybe 1.11 or 1.12?

I have had some really good races recently. A couple really stand out where I tackled an Arcade 1-lap race at Nurburgring Nordschleife, and then the career mode GT3 series at Suzuka. Both times I was in the Youtube/GT-Academy GT-R. For some reason I love that car like a family member.. ;)

They had decent pace (I'm on comfort soft tires and I think they are on Racing hards, but they just seemed quicker overall than before**). Pretty good awareness giving me obvious room without letting off the throttle like they used to do EVERY time. A couple times I actually got passed. Cleanly. This is certainly a departure from the norm, though not completely unprecedented. It was still shocking and great to see them do it so clean.👍 There were also some awesome, realistic offs and even a full on crash by the A.I. You gotta love that. Great entertainment. In these two races I was not slammed once by them, even though there was lots of close-quarter battling with plenty of opportunities.

Now, there was still a good bit of predictable early braking, allowing me to make easy passes every so often. Lots of gas-brake-gas sillyness through corners where a race driver would be much smoother. And a couple park-jobs when I was close to them, but this specific action seems to have been tuned out by some margin.

Something is definitely up. I just wish PD would tell us a bit more about what is going on. Do they not realize that if they would just make even the smallest A.I. tweaks in every update and advertise the fact in their official changelogs, a whole slew of us would come running like a stampede, popping GT6 into the ps3 to see what's going on? A.I. is so hugely important in this genre, and they seem to be clueless as to the impact improvements have on the perception AND reality surrounding their simulator.

** and this is happening even though my own skill/pace/consistency/reactions have all been improving by leaps over the last few months. Interesting... :mischievous:

Anybody noticing some differences in the A.I., since maybe 1.11 or 1.12?

I have had some really good races recently. A couple really stand out where I tackled an Arcade 1-lap race at Nurburgring Nordschleife, and then the career mode GT3 series at Suzuka. Both times I was in the Youtube/GT-Academy GT-R. For some reason I love that car like a family member.. ;)

They had decent pace (I'm on comfort soft tires and I think they are on Racing hards, but they just seemed quicker overall than before**). Pretty good awareness giving me obvious room without letting off the throttle like they used to do EVERY time. A couple times I actually got passed. Cleanly. This is certainly a departure from the norm, though not completely unprecedented. It was still shocking and great to see them do it so clean.👍 There were also some awesome, realistic offs and even a full on crash by the A.I. You gotta love that. Great entertainment. In these two races I was not slammed once by them, even though there was lots of close-quarter battling with plenty of opportunities.

Now, there was still a good bit of predictable early braking, allowing me to make easy passes every so often. Lots of gas-brake-gas sillyness through corners where a race driver would be much smoother. And a couple park-jobs when I was close to them, but this specific action seems to have been tuned out by some margin.

Something is definitely up. I just wish PD would tell us a bit more about what is going on. Do they not realize that if they would just make even the smallest A.I. tweaks in every update and advertise the fact in their official changelogs, a whole slew of us would come running like a stampede, popping GT6 into the ps3 to see what's going on? A.I. is so hugely important in this genre, and they seem to be clueless as to the impact improvements have on the perception AND reality surrounding their simulator.

** and this is happening even though my own skill/pace/consistency/reactions have all been improving by leaps over the last few months. Interesting... :mischievous:
I completely agree, in fact I was just coming out here to start a thread about a race I just finished because I was thinking the exact same thing. They seem to be bunching up in packs better now too and racing each other more than before. Check this out...

20140923_232853.jpg

That's 1st through 11th in the first turn on lap 4 in the GT3 career race. Some of them were 3 wide with a fourth about 5 inches from the car ahead. I personally have never seen them so bunched up before and NOT brake checking every 5 feet! This was the most fun I've had in GT6 for some time now.

There was anither time a few laps earlier where 3 of the AI were side by side fighting each other through the parabolica while another GTR and I were fighting in the braking zone right behind them.

I have to redo some more races in IA and super to see if they're like this too.

Yeah, I think it was 1.09 or 1.10 that something, albeit a small something changed. They can drive in a tight pack much better, they avoid the user more, but they still brake real early and its easy to overmatch them in A-Spec.

Yeah, I think it was 1.09 or 1.10 that something, albeit a small something changed. They can drive in a tight pack much better, they avoid the user more, but they still brake real early and its easy to overmatch them in A-Spec.
Can't say I experienced them braking super early in the race I ran last night. In fact second place on the last lap actually outbroke and passed me twice (they still have super brakes I guess)

All this makes me wonder though if PD isn't testing for larger fields sort of like Sierra. Not that large of course but more than there is now in some cases.

Back