The New Corolla (Sedan Revealed)

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 104 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
The way this article is worded, it leads you to believe that the Corolla sedan is dead? Also, Toyota: Stahp with the huge mouth grilles...

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/03/new-toyota-auris-crosses-pond-becomes-north-americas-2019-corolla/

2019-toyota-corolla-4.jpg

2019-toyota-corolla-8.jpg

2019-toyota-corolla-3.jpg

I think it looks great. Got a lot of the 1st-gen Mazda 3. Hopefully the interior is better than in the outgoing model.

I think it looks great. Got a lot of the 1st-gen Mazda 3. Hopefully the interior is better than in the outgoing model.

The profile looks a lot like the last-gen Mazda 3 & last-gen Mazda 2, come to think of it. IMO, this is one of Toyota's more successful implementations of their kind-of-out-of-control design language.

I did a crummy edit with gimp to see if it would look better with a smaller grill and a slight alternation to the headlights. Honestly, I think a smaller grill would benefit the style language, but that's just me.
2018 Toyota Auris Edit.png

See, the thing that bothers me is that Toyota called it a "World Premiere" at the Geneva Motorshow, and yet when I spoke to Toyota's employees at their stand, they had no information about it. Nothing. No interior, no engine specs, no trim specs, no release date. I wouldn't really call that a world premiere, or at least send out your employees with some info. It may as well have been a concept car. I really do like the way it looks.

I actually really like it... Not sad if the Corolla sedan is dead, but I wonder if that would affect the sales numbers. Then again, the crossover craze has people skipping compact sedans a lot. Especially in snowy regions. No one's buying the FWD only CH-R here...

Love the minimalist interior. I'm tempted.
image2.jpg

As a side, wonder how the new Mazda 3 interior will look. I hope this is a trend.

The nice interiors go in the Lexus usually, that's why this one looks the way it does.

Perhaps in the US but in Europe and Australialand I'm pretty sure they've been interchangeable for the last 15-ish years?
I think it's moreso, the USA never got the Hatchbacks from the past 10 years.
Please correct me, but the last Corolla Hatch I remember when living in the USA, was either the Chevy Nova thing or the FX-16.

I think it's moreso, the USA never got the Hatchbacks from the past 10 years.
Please correct me, but the last Corolla Hatch I remember when living in the USA, was either the Chevy Nova thing or the FX-16.

The last one we got was during the mid-90's.

93-97_Toyota_Corolla_DX_wagon_front.jpg

Yeah, we never got the Toyota Seca. First time I saw this was back in 1998 on a trip to St. Thomas & St. Maarten. Wondered why it never made it to the States(mainland).
images

The next, we're these models. There's even a Levin ZR spec(not a "true" Levin, just has more amenities).
m6TxfH0fLlMmkLUpCs_O6ePEAuiYli6T1aDAPPhgZ0illpvul2vD31UzwTCXiV6pCNLcebEIx3gPII2OqL96t_AqOMF_OQ59naWku6GyvIa-n4f2b5iMzpRGiU1C_Z2bcmuy_gguD3KTPMkSLDzRDzAddrXK=w511-h288-nc

I guess the hatch wasn't high on the Toyota USA customer list.

The European Auris is coming with a new 2.0 hybrid. I'd be very tempted by one when it comes to change my Swift.

VXR
The European Auris is coming with a new 2.0 hybrid. I'd be very tempted by one when it comes to change my Swift.

It will be rather interesting to see, if it's going to be a more performant version of the hybrid, given that the 2.5 Hybrid in the RAV, NX and IS is rather dull, I doubt that.

The new 2.0 Hybrid is producing a combined output of 180hp, which should provide more than enough potency for a standard hatchback. I wouldn't expect much in terms of driver engagement if it sticks with the same CVT as the less powerful 1.8 Hybrid.

I'm wondering what nasty color the sales people will try to offload. There was that lime green one year and the metallic orange after that. Maybe a metallic baby blue or modern day "Toyota Beige" beige metallic.

New Corolla Touring Sports revealed... Though this is the only shot they have of the "rear" so far. :confused:
ts_high_rear_v9_lr_rgb_1.jpg

ts_loadspace_out_v4_lr_rgb.jpg

So far, every variant of the Corolla looks good - This is the biggest improvement over a generation I've seen since the K14 Micra.

Last edited:
Back