The New Corolla (Sedan Revealed)

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 104 comments
They could just create their own like Nissan has Done for gtr. And Honda/acura did for nsx. Both Much faster and better looking than the new supra. The old supra was Nice. The new one not So much. At least Nissan gtr is good replacement. As for they are pulling from games becouse they think that their cars being games lower their sales its true, its all over internet. And its old news by now. Mayby even Mitsubishi has gone down the same road but i don't know yet
If they made a new Supra you liked and sold it for a similar price adjusted for inflation, would you buy one new? If not, then unfortunately your opinion doesn't matter to Toyota. Their business is selling cars, not satisfying people on internet forums. Take me, for example. I doubt I'll ever buy a brand new car, which immediately means that I'm not likely to be in a position to actually speak with my wallet, which is the most important way to show an automaker what you like/want. Toyota may not be particularly enthusiast-friendly, but they do sell a lot of cars to ordinary people.

If they made a new Supra you liked and sold it for a similar price adjusted for inflation, would you buy one new? If not, then unfortunately your opinion doesn't matter to Toyota. Their business is selling cars, not satisfying people on internet forums. Take me, for example. I doubt I'll ever buy a brand new car, which immediately means that I'm not likely to be in a position to actually speak with my wallet, which is the most important way to show an automaker what you like/want. Toyota may not be particularly enthusiast-friendly, but they do sell a lot of cars to ordinary people.
That and "they could just create their own" misunderstands quite significantly how expensive coming up with a car like that from scratch is.

This isn't the 1990s any more and car companies can't just churn out new platform after new platform, particularly when it's a sports car and people are buying fewer of those every year.

People may not like it, but the BMW/Toyota collaboration is a very good way of putting a sports car in each maker's range in a cost-effective way. Just as Toyota/Subaru was for the 86/BRZ, and Mazda/Fiat is for the MX-5/124. If Nissan chose to collaborate with someone on the next Z-car I wouldn't object as it means we'd get another Z-car - and provided the basic ingredients are good, I don't really care who's cooking 'em.

Of course not. He didn't get to drive it in Forza first.
I know we're taking the mick somewhat, but in fairness about 90% of the cars I want to buy (and five of the ones I've already owned) are things I drove in videogames before going anywhere near them in real life...

an improvement, the front is really interesting and stricking, while the back is waaay too traditional, reminiscent of the Mazda 3 from many years ago. This is gonna be a dream for tuners, i can see this becoming a favourite; at least from the pictures, it looks like it has already decent stance from the get go.

Last edited:
Gotta admit, the Corolla Hatch front, looks mean with DRLs on. Even in refrigerator white.

Only thing with this car is, it looks so much like the Holden Astra. Almost having to second look, just to make sure which car it is.

Toyota decided to pull a BMW and trigger electric car fans with their Corolla Hybrid advert: :lol:

Be warned, the comments are extra salty.

Toyota decided to pull a BMW and trigger electric car fans with their Corolla Hybrid advert: :lol:

Be warned, the comments are extra salty.

Not sure if salty or if just calling Toyota out.

Calling a hybrid vehicle a self charging electric car kind of looks like false or at least disingenuous advertising to me.

Not sure if salty or if just calling Toyota out.

There is a fair number of comments slewing Toyota's strategy. To say this advert is the reason why one of the world's largest automakers "has no understanding of the future" comes across as salty in my view.

There is a fair number of comments slewing Toyota's strategy. To say this advert is the reason why one of the world's largest automakers "has no understanding of the future" comes across as salty in my view.

I think the saltyness stems not from any apparent lack of awareness, but more the deliberate & cynical denial of the truth, truth in this case meaning the perceived truth of electric car fans.

That is to say, Toyota is basically trolling people. While trolling has definitely proven to be an effective technique (Donald Trump) it's an extremely negative thing to do.

Trolling them with accuracy, fact is when you recharge your sitting there useless for a long period of time.

Sure I doubt it will be an issue in the future, but it's fact now and it's just being salty getting angry about it.

That is to say, Toyota is basically trolling people. While trolling has definitely proven to be an effective technique (Donald Trump) it's an extremely negative thing to do.

Yeah, Toyota knew what the outcome would be and they got it. They could have omitted the scene of the EV charging, but it wouldn't have got anywhere near as much coverage so I wouldn't say its all negative (no-one seems to be upset at the 330e adverts taking digs at Tesla today, but that gained so much traction 2 years ago )

With that said, the 2000GT that made a cameo looks mighty fine. :cool:

Trolling them with accuracy, fact is when you recharge your sitting there useless for a long period of time.
I've taken a lot of road trips in gasoline cars in my day and I can tell you with certainty that...most gas cars have a longer range than my bladder. Add in the fact that by the time four hours has rolled around, not only do I have to piss but I'm also hungry, and now a stop is in order.

Tesla's Superchargers render your argument irrelevant. On Tesla's website you can plan trips as the car would (automatically, so you know exactly what you're up for) and it tells me I can get from my house in Ohio to Denver within two days. How about that, because it would also take me two days in a gas car. The Tesla takes a longer amount of time in total but would still require two full days of driving with a hotel stop in between. Other trips I've done include from here to Daytona - two days. From here to Houston - two days. Anywhere that a reasonable person in the US would bother driving can be done in Teslas with the help of their Superchargers, and the only complaint is that you get some nice built-in rest stops to eat lunch and use the restroom.

I don't know about the Supercharger network in other countries but here in the US it's pretty well fleshed-out. Unfortunately most electric cars on the market are indeed useless because they're not compatible with Tesla Superchargers. They're all merely urban runabouts, because legacy manufacturers are incompetent.

Apart from say the cost of the car, the fact I couldn't use it here in Australia if I'm outside a major city as there are no chargers.

It's not price efficient nor is most of the world suited to it yet.

There is a solid reason why Teslas cars are blowing everyone out of the park value wise, the company doesn't need to make a profit to exist.

Last edited:
Two new variants of the Corolla have been announced, starting with the GR Sport featuring a revised bodykit (no performance upgrades over the standard Hybrid models though):
toyota-corolla-gr-sport-2019.jpg

And Toyota's answer to the Ford Focus Active; the Corolla TREK:
toyota-corolla-trek-2019.jpg

That's the wagon, in the minority Corolla customers, have been screaming for. Damn shame there's no majority demand for it.

A GR wagon would be crazy cool.

The wagon looks good, nice touch to have an e-bike and traditional bike on top.

The fitment on those wagon rear wheels is awful. Someone get that car a set of spacers, stat.

The wagon looks good, nice touch to have an e-bike and traditional bike on top.

Wonder if this is gonna be a trend. I gather that it's a marketing tie-in with TREK, based on the bikes on top.

Could we see:
Mini Cooper GIANT?
Honda Civic FELT?
Ford Focus FOCUS?
Hyundai Santa Cruz SANTA CRUZ?
Porsche Cayenne SALSA?
Fiat 500 BIANCHI?
Audi (anything) MARIN?
Chevy Cruz SCOTT?
Subaru BRAT SURLY? (ok this one is complete fantasy, but c'mon it sounds awesome!)

:lol:

Wonder if this is gonna be a trend. I gather that it's a marketing tie-in with TREK, based on the bikes on top.

Could we see:
Mini Cooper GIANT?
Honda Civic FELT?
Ford Focus FOCUS?
Hyundai Santa Cruz SANTA CRUZ?
Porsche Cayenne SALSA?
Fiat 500 BIANCHI?
Audi (anything) MARIN?
Chevy Cruz SCOTT?
Subaru BRAT SURLY? (ok this one is complete fantasy, but c'mon it sounds awesome!)

:lol:
The GMC Canyon CANYON.

It's neverending :lol:

I'd be fine with them bringing the wagon even with the extra plastic cladding as long as it had AWD. It'd sell pretty well in the US as a rival to the Golf Alltrack.

I love the Alltrack, but I'd be happier to have one in a Toyota package. (in terms of Toyota's reliability)

Back