The New Grand Valley

  • Thread starter Thread starter Event
  • 74 comments
  • 5,142 views
i remember waaay back when i saw my first screenshot of GT1 (when it was still a japan-only game) it was a car on GRand Valley right before the first tunnel and there was a map of the track right next to the tunnel. over the years i noticed the abscence of this map (why would htey take it out?) BUT NOW ITS BACK!!! YAY :dopey: :dunce:
 
Grand Valley Speedway's course layout is not significantly different than it was in GT3. The scenery is a lot nicer though. Grand Valley East though is quite different than it's GT2 incarnation. In particular the last big turn leading into the finishing straightaway has been straightened out. If I remember correctly the final turn had a slight kink in it before. (And was really annoying)
 
I like the new GV, although sometimes I still screw up because I'm used to the old track, actually I like all of the Redone tracks, but despite the real city courses I miss SSRT 11...

On a similar note, a while back I played Pole Postition on one of those plug-it-into-your-tv arcades and I was like "Holy *** this track is "High Speed Ring" without the banking, HAHA, KY and PD giving a nod racing game heritage"

Then I played GT4 and saw Fuji Speedway...
 
Barkode
I like the old one better. The double apex corners after the big hairpin just dont feel right.

I couldn't agree with you more. I hate those 2 new turns coming after the hairpin. They don't feel right at all.

AND... what's up with the high curbs in the tunnels? wtf???

Grand Valley was my favorite course, and now they've ruined it for me.
 
Ev0
Also, has anyone noticed a couple of the corners at Laguna Seca have changed?

Yes, that last corner before the hill up to the corkscrew takes LOTS of practice. I've been in the dirt while learning the new braking point and entry speed.

Overall I've been very pleased with the new GT4 versions. Man there are too many highlights to hit in one post!
 
CaptGeography
Maybe it was the car that I was using, but in GVS they also made middle kink in the long, bendy straight leading into the tight hairpin a little tighter. I could usually go flat out if I hit it right, but now you have to let off for a split second.

Didn't notice anything different about Laguna, some of the turns I have to take differently, but I chalk that up to physics. I do like how the cars go the entire length of the pit out lane instead of blending on the front straight. I think for both laguna and sears point they added a little too much vegetation. From what I remember, its all dirt and sand immediately around the track.

Yes, that's another thing i don't like about the new Grand Valley. You can't go all out on that bendy straight. Before, you could find a line that let you pretty much go full speed through it, but now I have to ease off the gas, or even tap the brakes coming into the slight right to get a good line.

I'm sorry, I needed to vent. Grand Valley really was my all time favorite track.

I'm not crazy about that new sharper left hander before the left on the corkscrew at Laguna either, unless that really is what the real Laguna is like now.
 
Almost sounds like you don't ever want to turn in the game. That's what makes it fun.
 
I liked Grand Valley in previous games, I hope it's still nice to drive in GT4. I hope I'll be able to get used to the new physics to begin with, if not, I'll make myself get used to it.
 
I very much like it. Of course, I was confused when I first unlocked the "east" course and it didn't turn where I expected it to turn :dunce:

But other then that, I think it's a great rendering and much more appealing.
 
How do lap times compare between the old and new Grand Valleys? Anyone feel like popping GT3 back in for a quick experiment?
 
i heard about changes to deep forest? what changes have been done to it?

and are there any other tracks that have alteredt layouts or anything?
 
GT_Fan2005
i heard about changes to deep forest? what changes have been done to it?

and are there any other tracks that have alteredt layouts or anything?

Deep forest in reverse is awesome, whatever they did to it, they definatley refined it, it seems more "right" reverse than in forward!
 
jimihemmy
They have 2 Fuji tracks, 80's and 90's.

Four actually, including the new, god-awful, 2005 versions. Like driving around an airplane runway. Thankfully I've only had two races on them.

I love the new GV, but it freaked me out the first time I saw it. Like getting deja-vu. "hey, this looks kind of familiar, but NOT this!"
 
GT_Fan2005
i heard about changes to deep forest? what changes have been done to it?

and are there any other tracks that have alteredt layouts or anything?

i'm not 100% positive on this one, but the few laps i've run on deep forest, i don't remember any changes to it. no changes to trail mountain either. SSR5 Reverse is practially the same, but i think one of the turns got a little sharper. the sweeping left right before the right hairpin.

can't remember much else. there's just too much game to talk about :)
 
Well I quite liked the Grand-Valley in GT3 because it was just a real nice bright grean circuit, somehow. I think ALL the tracks have MAJOR improvement, and when I played GT4 Prologue, I REALLY liked that Fuji International Speedway, just because it was SO big and wide, especially the straight felt REALLY REALISTIC, but I think this has improved in ANY circuit in GT4, and I saw a lake in a replay on midfield on the background, when that last corner was exit'ed after the tunnel. That was really nice TOO, and Grand Valley just looks FABULOUS as it was before:tup::D
 
I like the changes to most of the tracks. It seems they got away from the tight one laned corners to having more Formula 1 styled high speed corners.

On the bad side though, Midfield just doesn't seem right through any of the esses? But its reverse seems quicker through the last section than GT3.

Deep Forest is much wider much faster. It lost some of it's quickness being wider through the forest part.

But all of the tracks except for the Japanesse ones have been fun to drive. The new Fuji track is poor design for everything except the map of the course. There are no markings for the corners and the asphalt runoffs need to be painted so you can tell what is where when you're coming up on them. There are no real braking points or land marks on the course as well, very tough course to get used to.
 
GT_Fan2005
i heard about changes to deep forest? what changes have been done to it?

and are there any other tracks that have alteredt layouts or anything?

The biggest difference I noticed in Deep Forest is that they paved some of the run off areas on the left after you enter the forest following the first turn. It doesn't come into play that much for normal orientation, but when you run the track in reverse you can just cut straight across it or at least run through the section harder without worrying about getting your tires in the dirt.

I don't like the esses in mid-field at all. With certain cars, it was a thrilling experience when you could just make it through there flat out and now you can't, at least not with any of my current cars.
 
Kojak1970
Granted, SSR5 is still there in all it's glory, but I had to race on a miniature, dumbed down version of it first.

Miniature and dumbed down? Come on, Clubman Stage R5 was staple in GT1. ;)
 
They also walled off the left lanes right at the junction where SSR5 splits from ClubmanR5. I learned that the hard way on my first lap there... :)
 
Sounds like the course itself has change somewhat dramatically. Can anyone post a picture with an overlay of the two courses? New and old ...
 
Barkode
I like the old one better. The double apex corners after the big hairpin just dont feel right.

I agree with you somewhat the gradual left 'S' followed by the sharper right handed 'S' which comes after that sharp right handed hairpin, at the end of Grand Valley, seemed awkward. I think it's because the right hander isn't nearly as difficult to master, you can hug the inside more and not go off on your exit, which can't be said for the previous versions.

Overall though I think it's much better. Has a better flow to it I agree with everyone on that. But on different not HOW ABOUT THE SCENERY! I love going over the bridge and through that long right handed tunnel. I actually ride the wall sometimes just to look at the countryside. Magnificent detail.
 
GT4's rendition of Grand Valley is actually a hark back to the old school. You have to be a GT veteran to know what Grand Valley was like in GTs 1 and 2. You had a city in the background going into Turn One, you had the lovely hills and mountains before going to the tunnel, and past the second tunnel, you had that lovely final tunnel where you had a beautiful view of the mountains and the water. GT3 took away the city view, the hills and mountains looked a little dull, and the biggest disappointment- taking away the lovely view from the final tunnel of the main course. I recall playing it in my play-test session at EB. You couldn't really see the city into Turn One very well, but damn, man... PD went old school with Grand Valley, and it's never looked better.

Sometimes, I often wish this wasn't just a fictional track. If I were travelling, I'd love to see a race at Grand Valley, had it been real. It just seems completely realistic, almost like you can actually find it or see a race from there.

I would like to see PD maybe try something out, a longer version of the course. Usually, some tracks have much longer configurations to make for extreme endurance racing conditions. I'd like to imagine maybe a longer version. Maybe extend Turn One into the city or around the course, or something like that.

For you Grand Valley fans, the key race for this track is the Grand Valley 300km. Would you want to see a Grand Valley 500km? Or, let's do what Bathurst would- Grand Valley 1,000km? Could we see some more challenging endurances in GT5?
 
When it comes to Deep Forest, I haven't really noticed anything. If anything, Deep Forest looks more like a race track within a forest, rather than a road course probably better off as a rally course (of course, I could make the same argument for Trial Mountain). I noticed some trees missing, and it just feels more like a race course than an actual forest. That's my view. Comment at will.
 
He if its not to much trouble could some please post a few in game pics of Grand Valley?
 
The new GV has got me in a love/hate relationship with the track. I loved the old version(s), and LOVE the new version! But I hate PD didn't inlclude the old version.

I don't mind the double apex in the S section as much as how WIDE and ROUND the hairpin before the tunnel is. It used to come to a point and was hard to hit, but if you hit it right you had some good speed. Now it's a sweeping corner. Ah well. :-)
 
i thought the new GV was changed because the track in japan have a big reconstruction as well...
 
So no one has or are willing to get some in game screens for me?

If anyone does, thanks in advance.
 
This is just my 2 cents...

A lot of the turn markers are higher or more curb like than previous GTs.

Someone posted about the GV tunnel having a tall curb.

To tie these two together I think the dev's did add changes to keep the 900hp Skyline guys from runnin all over the track smashing into everything and still showing 1st place. The simulation aspect of the game is the best it has ever been. 3rd gear flat out on some of the old corners won't work anymore. No more hoppin curbs (and maintaining control), I just don't think all of the old exploits are there anymore. Some maybe but not all.
 
Grand valley and grand valley east were already great in GT1 and 2, its a pitty the east section wasn't in GT3.
 
Back