The New Grand Valley

  • Thread starter Thread starter Event
  • 74 comments
  • 5,142 views
Event Horizon
I must say, PD did an amazing job at fixing up Grand Valley. I did the GV300km in my MOTUL Pitworks Z and it was a great drive. The scenery is magnificent and I was never bored with the track. Every corner seemed different and it seemed to flow perfectly. I was impressed. GV was one of my more less-favored tracks in GT3, but it's one of my favorites in GT4! 👍

Who else likes the redesign?

I ran the enduro with a fully moded Elise 111R (no wings). And it was an absolute blast fighting for 1st throughout the entire race. I had very little difficulty getting the Elise to flow smoothly through the course. She was underpowered... but the JGTC cars couldn't keep up through the corners :)
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful re-design. I wasn't too keen with it at first. But after doing practice laps to get the settings down, then finally taking on the enduro itself... the track grew on me. And I love it!

The changes to the S section really help to smooth the flow of the pace... and to make it quicker overall. The corners work together to gradually slow you down for the hairpin entrance into the tunnel.
Whereas in the old GV... it was fast through the first left, fast through the next right.... then brake hard for the tight left hander into the tunnel.
 
Apollo
The new Fuji track is poor design for everything except the map of the course. There are no markings for the corners and the asphalt runoffs need to be painted so you can tell what is where when you're coming up on them. There are no real braking points or land marks on the course as well, very tough course to get used to.

The runoffs and alternate routes can be confusing on a few tracks. I was on one track (don't recall which one, I'm afraid, might have been Tsubuka or one of the Montegi layouts, or even Fuji), driving the last lap of a short race. About halfway through the circuit, I came to a chicane that I couldn't recall from previous laps for some reason, but I figured I was just not paying attention (all those new Japanese road courses tend to blend together when you haven't driven each one more than a few laps at a time). I still managed to make a pretty good corner of it, so I was pleased with myself - until my opponent came blasting by me on the straight a half-second later, having stayed on the actual track rather than following the completely unneccesary "chicane" that I'd just driven. Oops. :banghead:

Ah well, my win ratio was crap anyway, so not much harm done... ;)
 
On the GT4 US Website (also in my current signature), I had a chance to see the video on Grand Valley. The last post on Grand Valley was about its looks. Now, I tackle its configuration. The one thing I really noticed was that the slower section of road after the final tunnel was now a bit of a 2nd or 3rd Gear chicane complex. Personally, I think having that sort of walled chicane kind of (1) made racing slow, and when reverse (2) becomes a nightmare. I think it better suits faster race cars and flows better. When you have a race track with incredible flow to it, you have a nice circuit suited to as many cars as possible. Now if Turn 16 and Turn 17 were a nicely-flowing chicane rather than two rough turns, I think speeds would be faster. After all, you're going to have to slow down anyways for Turn 18, so it isn't like you're on an oval, and it isn't like you're on some glorified Test Course oval.

I haven't raced it yet, but it should still be fun. Turns 1 through 15 should still be unchanged for what I know.
 
I ♥ GV2.0

The new Fuji course is awesome too.
 
i still prefer the old track too because i feel its got a better sense of speed and its longer so to me is more of a challenge on endurence races because itl get less boring but my fav track has to be autumn ring im happy they added that in after playing concept i really fell back in love with that track.
 
I am very impressed with all the reworked tracks, especially the rally tracks. Tahiti is awesome. I think they did a heck of job with all the tracks. I hope they continue this with GT5.
 
I like the new Grand Valley it's a lot harder now.

As for Deep Forest it's too damn bumpy it feels like GT1,GT2 not enough polys used for the track surface.
 
bfifteenv
I like the new GV, although sometimes I still screw up because I'm used to the old track, actually I like all of the Redone tracks, but despite the real city courses I miss SSRT 11...

On a similar note, a while back I played Pole Postition on one of those plug-it-into-your-tv arcades and I was like "Holy *** this track is "High Speed Ring" without the banking, HAHA, KY and PD giving a nod racing game heritage"

Then I played GT4 and saw Fuji Speedway...

lol when I first saw the map of Fuji I said these words exactly: "Holy s*** it's Grand Valley!"
 
I had a chance to race the Grand Valley Speedway, and I have to state that lookswise, PD has done a beautiful job. I love the area between the bridge and the Start/Finish line. I think it really makes up for GT3's rendition of Grand Valley Speedway. You're actually faster in what used to be a super-slow chicane. When I used the Castrol Supra, I got about 60 or 40 miles per hour before powering through the turns. Normally, I'd be at about 20 mph in a bigtime race car in past GT games.

No question, Grand Valley is one of the most beautiful courses in the game. Haven't raced it yet? Unlock it in Gran Turismo Mode, and race the thing. It's Heaven.
 
I do miss the the GV II with the sun setting as well as Laguana with the sun setting too.
 
IMO it reminds me more of the GV of gran turismo 1 which was my favourite version of the GV which is why I like it a llot more this time around. Although it may not drive like it in GT1 it certainly brings back memories of my first gran turismo experience.
 
Something about GV's new wide-ness made it a much more enjoyable drive, indeed. I can almost feel the car's torque, coming out of the first hairpin! It's crazy - much more realistic. It's now one of my favorite tracks, where as it didn't used to be. 👍 👍

off topic side note: Where is Red Rock Valley? :guilty:
 
I don't like the redesign. The twisty stretch after the first hairpin used to be flat-out (white knuckle in the faster cars), but now you have to slow down. I really liked that run to the second hairpin, but now there is not as much excitement. The double-apex corners that used to be long sweepers suck too. The flow of that whole section has been destroyed.
 
Ev0
I noticed PD widened GV the instant I played it. I loved the older GT3 version of GV; the slow, tight corners nicely contrasted the fast sweepers. Now, those slow bends have been changed so they are not the slow, tight bends that helped make the track great. I for one am disappointed with the new changes.

Also, has anyone noticed a couple of the corners at Laguna Seca have changed?

yeah, last corners before the corkscrew are tighter, and so is the few after it, and the track doesn't feels so wide anymore.
 
Back