The New Test Drive Kick ass

Powerman - this is completely off topic but FYI - You've got "grenades" spelt "GERNADES". I dunno what a "gernade" is, or how you'd go on a rampage with one.

:D

But, I'll have to rent TestDrive tonite and then pick it up when it comes out for the Xbox as well. Do a little comparison and pick up the best one.

Uh oh... I mentioned Xbox again. :lol: I hope this doesn't end up in the Xbox forum again.

I'm a bit skeptical, the test drive series was great when it first came out (In the 80's) but since then it has been one of the worst series ever. Poor controls, good graphics (but never great.) and irritating AI.
Gamespot also only rated it a 6.9 (for either version), so I probably won't be going down this road...

Ever since Test Drive 2, the series has gone down a hole. The last Test Drive I've played was 5 on PSX, I think, the one with the police cars were first introduced. Man, that was a LONG time ago!

Test Drive isnt half as good as he says it is, its 40 Races and you beat the game.

The AI Sucks, they slow down when you're behind and speed up when you're infront.

The physics are like gokarts with more power.

The graphics look like Project Gotham sept.. different.

Its not worth the $50, unless you need an arcade racing game desperately.

Wait for Pro Race Driver or NFS HP2.

I got Test Drive on PS2 a few days ago, and I can tell you that it's an OK racing game, not a great one. The game has many problems, especially with the AI. I'm only up to Tokyo (race#6 or 7 I think), but so far I have encountered lots of problems. But first I'l tell you the high points of the game. The game has a great soundtrack, runs at a smooth 60fps (almost never drops), and has a great selection of cars (of course not as good as GT3). But, the graphics look like an updated version of Test Drive 6 for Dreamcast. While the game looked stunning in the screenshots, in the game most of the cars have as much detail as in TD6. Look at the Espirit, Supra, Impreza, etc, and you'll see what I mean. Also the tracks while beautiful, also lack detail that is found in other games today. The biggest problem though is the AI, which sucks, but cheats. The police will ONLY chase, and bust YOU (even police in TD5 chased your opponents). Your opponents will continually crash into traffic, or into you which brings me to another flaw: physics. It feels like the developers never took a physics course in high school or college. For example, you are driving a heavy Plymouth Cuda, and your opponent is driving a light Lotus Elise. What happens to your opponent when he hits a traffic car? It flies out of the way. What happens to you? You spin out while the traffic car sits in the middle of the road. The same thing happens when you try to spin out your opponent. If an Elise hits you in back of your car, you spin out, you try that on him, and once again you spin out. You don't know how frustrating it is when you're on your last lap, and your opponent "accidently" touches you a little, and you go flying. The only good thing, is that the game keeps all of the cars close together, so if you crash it's very easy to catch up, but if you're speeding like a demon, even the crappy cars will be right behind you. Also expect SFRush handling rather than GT3 or even NFS handling. This game is VERY frustrating. Despite all the negatives about it, I do like the sense of speed, and the selection of cars. Please note that I am a fan of the Test Drive series, and have played every other one (except 1&2). So in the end it's still a good game, rent it, and if you like it buy it, but if you're short on cash, then wait for NFS6. Hopefully the next installement will be much better.

To add more on this topic, I was playing the final race in Monte Carlo a few mins. ago, and I was leading by about 10 secs, up until the point when a traffic car appeared out of nowhere in front of me, and caused a crash. The 2nd time (right before the finish line) a bus appeared.No win. Also the traffics car always go after you. They can be fliped over, on their side, or be wrecked, but they will slide or drive towards you. Once again save your money.

It's pretty short I finished it already (didn't even play a lot), easy if you play GT3 or NFS. The only thing that prolongs it are it's flaws, if you would'nt crash as much, than you would finish it a lot quicker. Once you're done, you'll be bored, so save that receipt. The game was OK, but they should of fixed these huge problems with all the delays this game had. By the way in the later tracks you will see some MAJOR pop-up (driving toward nothing,until at the last second the rest pops up). Also I don't know if you've noticed, but during night courses, some cars drive with their headlights off until you get really close to them (or crash into them). Still enjoy it while it lasts.

GTS-R_MAN, i entered in the code and got EVERY thing, including the viper concept car. You must have not gone through all of em cause it's there.

and Supra897 the traffic cars do not come after you specifically, but they will come your way at some points. For me they weave out of my way, or crash trying not to crash into me. so you may have a f00ked version.

Originally posted by ethanol
Powerman - this is completely off topic but FYI - You've got "grenades" spelt "GERNADES". I dunno what a "gernade" is, or how you'd go on a rampage with one.

But, I'll have to rent TestDrive tonite and then pick it up when it comes out for the Xbox as well. Do a little comparison and pick up the best one.

Uh oh... I mentioned Xbox again. :lol: I hope this doesn't end up in the Xbox forum again.

you spelt tonight wrong as in tonite

so me and some birds to go watch a film and I will say OI we are stepping out tonite

nah mate just messin

Originally posted by keeno_uk

you spelt tonight wrong as in tonite

nah mate just messin

Ok, ok... you busted me. :lol: while "tonite" is relatively common, and while it is a real word, it doesn't actually mean the same as "tonight".

hahaha - good catch.

Originally posted by Viper Zero
Ever since Test Drive 2, the series has gone down a hole. The last Test Drive I've played was 5 on PSX, I think, the one with the police cars were first introduced. Man, that was a LONG time ago!

I dunno, TD3 is pretty good for my 386 &486's

Back