The next-gen MX-5 Miata thread

In the UK the Abarth starts at more than a top-spec MX-5 RF, which seems like lunacy. And that's after they've recently introduced a slightly more affordable trim line it seems - before, it was a good £4k more than a high-end RF, and about £8k more thank you can get a basic 2-litre convertible for over here.

Sport button, from what I remember (it's been about 9 months since I drove one), improved the low-end throttle response a little, but didn't really change the fundamental characteristics of the engine.

If cost wasn't a factor, I think I'd go for the Abarth just for the extra personality it has. I like the Mazda a lot, but having "owned" an RF since February alongside my NA, the ND still isn't my favourite MX-5...

It irks me that PD thought not to include the 2.0L ND in GTS. I don't know why I was expecting the North American version to be included, but I was...

Would be nice to hot lap the both of them on a bunch of tracks and see the difference...

VXR
Having heard it revs more freely, I'd have the 1.5 and fit an LSD.
I need to drive a 1.5 again but I have spent a bit of time in them and I don't think the engine is notably different to the 2.0. Just like the mk1 1.6 MX-5 isn't really that much freer-revving than the 1.8, or the 1.6 205 GTI compared to the 1.9. If I was more of a cynic I'd just say people are claiming these things to make them feel better about owning the slower versions...

However, a 1.5 with BBR's tuning package to take it to 160bhp or so would be right up my alley, and still be a chunk of change cheaper than the 124.

The 1.5 does rev better than the 2.0. Same story in the Mazda3. The 1.5 feels noticeably peppier off idle than the 2.0.

In terms of performance, the 2.0 is much better. But subjectively, the 1.5 is the sweeter engine.

Nice red top option for 2018

bad_tas2018_rs_red_gellery_01.ts.1712120219270000.jpg

Reminds me of those NA special models with the bright wheels and different color tops.
Japan have also the brown leather seat option for the soft top. I've only seen it advertised for the top spec RF. The USA should also be getting more options and I know Australia are getting the MZD screen for the base 1.5L, as standard. Now, Mazda just need to add a yellow and the right shade of green to the MX-5 color palette. :)

Now, Mazda just need to add a yellow and the right shade of green to the MX-5 color palette. :)
A yellow would definitely be good - followed a wrapped one to an event at Goodwood back in the summer and it looked great.

IMG_4354.JPG

The right green might be tricky. Seen a few traditional British Racing Green ones on the internet and they just don't look right. This shade on the other hand suits the car much better:

14596727_1267418419955685_4786133188965564416_n.jpg

The article is in Italian, but it appears that a coupe version of the 124 may be on the way. The article mentions that it would be a retractable roof similar to the RF. I would much prefer a fixed roof 124 as a sort of rally homologation special type thing, but it seems cool nonetheless. The profile is the exact "3-box" design I was hoping they might do.

https://www.clubalfa.it/32460-fiat-124-gt-ultime-foto-spia-della-variante-coupe.html

Abarth 124 GT revealed with removable hard-top

I'm disappointed that it isn't a proper coupe, but I do prefer this to a retractable hardtop. Fiat claims that it will add rigidity and it has a few features an aftermarket top would not. I'm not sure if this is enough to push me to buy one. If it was a genuine fixed roof coupe with some additional storage behind the seats, I was writing a check tomorrow.

Why can't anyone build a 3-box shaped sports car?!

How could I've missed that thread :D
Dig the hardtop on 124, really cool.
Any NA guys on there? :cool:
If it really is ND exclusive thread than I'm sorry

-> Nice! That power bump, plus that Fiata hardtop! All it needs now is to replace those over-padded seats! I prefer the NA seats the best!

Last edited:
A high revving NA engine with throttle bodies and solid lifters would be my preferred method of making that extra power. If they turbocharge it, then it's a slippery slope.

VXR
A high revving NA engine with throttle bodies and solid lifters would be my preferred method of making that extra power. If they turbocharge it, then it's a slippery slope.

To be honest, 181hp out of an n/a 2 liter is hardly show-stopping. Remember when Honda was cranking out 240hp from the same displacement a decade ago? Also, the MZR was only 10-15hp away from this figure, and could easily be modified to make 190+ (see BBI tuning). I agree that a set of throttle bodies would be magic, but I don't see this happening, realistically. Does anyone do this anymore? Last I checked, even Lamborghini was only using a pair of throttles. BMW gave it up after the S65 engine, afaik.

Additionally, I would think a turbo 2 liter producing such little power would probably feel like a truck engine....not likely something Mazda would do.

The S2000 has been dead for a decade now. Nobody's cross-shopping a ND with a 2009 or older S2000. You had to rev the S2000 to 6,000 rpm just to get anything resembling acceleration whereas the ND develops good torque around 3,000 rpm.

That said, the S2000 had somewhere around 11.8 lbs/hp so the ND would need 200 hp to beat that ratio. If Mazda can squeeze 180 out of the motor, it won't take much in upgrades to hit 200. Exhaust and a tune.

Last edited:
If Mazda can squeeze 180 out of the motor, it won't take much in upgrades to hit 200. Exhaust and a tune.
https://www.flyinmiata.com/bbr-super-200.html

From what I've read, they did a bunch of work to the head to get the power bump. That would probably eliminate the need to do the cams, springs and retainers from the kit above, so intake, exhaust and a tune should get you there.

New Document Suggests 2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata Will Have 181-HP

...it reportedly confirmed the 2019 Miata will have an upgraded 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine with an “increased rev capacity.”

In order to achieve this, the engine has apparently been equipped with lightweight pistons, a new crankshaft and an improved intake. Other changes are slated to include lighter connecting rods, a new throttle body and a freer flowing exhaust.

Thanks to all of these modifications, the engine will reportedly produce 181 hp (135 kW) and 151 lb-feet (204 Nm) of torque. If these numbers are correct, the 2019 Miata will have 26 hp (19 kW) and 3 lb-ft (4 Nm) more than its predecessor. The model would also have more horsepower than the turbocharged Fiat 124 Spider but less torque.

To cope with the additional power, engineers have reportedly fitted the car with a dual-mass flywheel. The document suggested it was installed to reduce noise, vibration and harshness issues which were created as a result of the upgraded engine.

Back