The next-gen MX-5 Miata thread

-> ...
adb
Haven’t spent enough time in ND, but love NA seats so agree :D
^ I've gotten enough seat time on the ND (and the rest of the older gens). The seats felt over-padded to me, I like the thin padding seats on the NA. Believe me, I own one (an NA8 on which is for sale now).

The S2000 has been dead for a decade now. Nobody's cross-shopping a ND with a 2009 or older S2000.
^ I do, I used to own an S2000 and I would gladly to own one again. ;)

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/06/2019-mazda-mx-5-miata-unveiled-japan-181-hp-7500-rpm-redline/

4dfc5a9a-mazda-mx-5-miata-7-768x288.jpg

Starting under the hood, the 2.0-liter SKYACTIV-G engine has been “drastically revised” as it has been equipped with an optimized air intake, new cylinder heads, revised pistons and different connecting rods. Mazda says these modifications were made to increase performance while also reducing weight.

The company was coy on the latter figure but the updated engine now produces “15% or more” horsepower. In addition, torque has increased for the “whole revolution range” and the redline climbs from 6,800 rpm to 7,500 rpm. While the Japanese press release didn’t mention specific outputs, a data sheet revealed the engine will produce 184 PS (135 kW / 181 hp) and 205 Nm (151 lb-ft) of torque.

Suddenly I really want one.

I have a feeling the revised ND is going to feel like a riot to drive. The current car has a nice heap of usable torque (keeping in mind it's an n/a 4) and a pretty broad power band. If the new motor can simply scale that curve upwards, I think it's going to be a real gem.

This news is exciting. I’ve wanted to drive one of these for a while, but now I want to even more with the upgraded engine. Does anyone know if there will be more interior options in the future? As far as I know, the tan leather option is exclusive to the Grand Touring package for both soft top and RF models.

Only an added 1kw/2Nm for the 1.5, but wonder if that too is lighter because of the upgrades.

Now, if that red top option were available...

Just buy it one year used.

Which would be a great idea if it wasn't for the fact MX5 owners in Canada are seemingly not aware of the word depreciation, on top of the MX5 being overpriced here anyway (the RF is a 50k car here, once you factor in taxes and handling fees). 7-8 year old NC's still fetch mid-low 20s here for some incomprehensible reason, and NBs are still in the mid-low 10s.

I've dabbed about that quite a lot in the past, but it's borderline a miracle Mazda still sells any MX5s here.

Which would be a great idea if it wasn't for the fact MX5 owners in Canada are seemingly not aware of the word depreciation, on top of the MX5 being overpriced here anyway (the RF is a 50k car here, once you factor in taxes and handling fees). 7-8 year old NC's still fetch mid-low 20s here for some incomprehensible reason, and NBs are still in the mid-low 10s.

I've dabbed about that quite a lot in the past, but it's borderline a miracle Mazda still sells any MX5s here.
Same here, in Australia. Must be a Commonwealth thing. :sly:

Meanwhile in the UK, decent NAs for around £3k, NBs for £2k, NCs for under £3k, and NDs from maybe £15k at the moment...

It's just nuts. You can buy a fully loaded BRZ with the please-hand-your-money-over tS bodykit for less than the RF starts at. Or, possibly scarier; I just spec'd a Performance Pack Mustang GT for right between the base and GT versions of the RF. :eek:

Or, possibly scarier; I just spec'd a Performance Pack Mustang GT for right between the base and GT versions of the RF. :eek:

It's pretty much within hundreds of a Camaro SS 1LE as well. I'd really like to pick the brains of the head honchos at Mazda and see what's their reasoning for the pricing and the spot it ends up being at on the market. No one's going to cross shop those cars but still...

Lightweight construction costs $$$$.

The 86 is more powerful, more spacious and more everything. It is also more slower. Especially now with the extra power bump for the 2.0.

Basically, you're getting a Lotus Elise - type focus on weight savings at 86 plus pricing.

That's something to celebrate.

A no option 86 is still pretty much 10k less than an MX5 in my neck of the woods... 10k "invested" properly (tires, suspension and whatever else you want) will have an 86/BRZ running circles around an MX5 pretty easily, 181 hp or not.

Though looking at classified ads, a MK2 Elise is exactly worth the same as a brand new GT/RF ND right now.

Now if they could just knock 5k out of its price tag, it'd be perfect-ier.
They should offer a cheaper option without all the parking sensors and city braking crap, for people who actually pay attention while driving, and have some degree of coordination.

Back