The non-muscle American car thread (READ THE OP)

• Thread starter The87Dodge
  • 1,520 comments

In your opinion, which country makes the best looking cars?

• Total voters
A) Ugly
B) Steam powered
I don't think the Victress S4 is unattractive--perhaps not as good looking as the S1, and maybe a little awkward in its proportions--and I think the fact that people were experimenting with steam in the '60s is great; particularly in Wisconsin where Keen was located. The S4 body was actually used for another steamer in that period; the Williams.

Speaking of the S1...

Victress-rightfront-remote.jpg

Cobra Shmobra.

1969 Pontiac Farago CF 428

Farago+Pontiac+3.JPG
Farago+Pontiac+4.JPG

Championed by John DeLorean, and styled and crafted by Sergio Coggiola and Paul Farago.

DeLorean, an executive at Pontiac, had lofty goals for the brand and envisioned a personal luxury car (something that GM didn't offer but its competitors did) as a halo vehicle--a beacon to lure customers to dealerships even if they were to purchase something else.

He met with Paul Farago, who'd had experience in these matters as the man behind Dual Motors and its Chrysler-based, Ghia-built Dual-Ghia cars much adored by the rich and famous (an example of which, specifically a stillborn prototype from the end of the company's run, is referred to in the post above this one and an even earlier post).

To better make things happen, Farago, who had previously worked with Ghia while at Chrysler and subsequently through his own Dual Motors, sought the services of Ghia "expat" Coggiola, who'd just established his own Coggiola Carrozziere S.R.L. in 1966.

Despite considerable visual differences, few mechanical changes were made to the Grand Prix chassis and 428cid Pontiac engine procured by DeLorean. The car is named for its design primaries and the engine displacement.

Looking at Christine again makes me wonder why Plymouth had the 1958 Fury only come in that White/Gold Stripe color. Red with white stripe just looks so much better on it.
178583_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

At least the Belvedere came in multiple colors.
01af3c0c3e40bd50a8e6aefd57cc0e9c.jpg

4sw_Trophys_2008_26.jpg

belvederes.jpg

Looking at Christine again makes me wonder why Plymouth had the 1958 Fury only come in that White/Gold Stripe color. Red with white stripe just looks so much better on it.
178583_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

At least the Belvedere came in multiple colors.
01af3c0c3e40bd50a8e6aefd57cc0e9c.jpg

4sw_Trophys_2008_26.jpg

belvederes.jpg
Keep in mind that at that point the Fury was an up-model Belvedere Sport Coupe with the 'Golden Commando' V8. The exclusive use (both in terms of it being the only option for the Fury and it only being an option for the Fury) of the Buckskin Beige and Gold toning called out to the optioning that made the Fury special.

Keep in mind that at that point the Fury was an up-model Belvedere Sport Coupe with the 'Golden Commando' V8. The exclusive use (both in terms of it being the only option for the Fury and it only being an option for the Fury) of the Buckskin Beige and Gold toning called out to the optioning that made the Fury special.
Right, I get that it was a special edition, but why out of any color did Plymouth pick fricken beige? Was it some exciting color back in the 50s?

Because it's honestly one of the most boring choices for a special edition imo.

Right, I get that it was a special edition, but why out of any color did Plymouth pick fricken beige? Was it some exciting color back in the 50s?

Because it's honestly one of the most boring choices for a special edition imo.
I don't know...

*cough*

Back.jpg

:P

People seem to have quite strong preferences for or against the curvy 1990s American stuff but it's really growing on me. Curves were a big part of 1990s car styling in general, but I still find the American ones quite distinctive. The Oldsmobile Aurora is probably one of my favourites from that era.

1995-Oldsmobile-Aurora-Four-Door-Sedan-DN546-U0184.jpg

Oldsmobile_Aurora_1994_-_1999_6.jpg

The Aurora's reasonably attractive, but on the other side of that coin is the 8th gen Buick Riviera...

1996-buick-riviera-4.jpg

Blecch.

Continuing the subject of curvy 90s stuff, the Ford Laser Lynx:

34483087125_a293856dd9_b.jpg

34352618191_26ddf7d4e0_b.jpg

I knew Ford worked closely with Mazda at this point but wasn't aware it sold a version of the three-door 323C. Can't imagine it sold particularly well anywhere (I can't remember the last time I saw the Mazda version in the UK) but it's an intriguing little car, and I'm guessing is related under the skin to the Mazda MX-3 too, though it seems to have missed out on using any tiny V6 engines.

Latest Posts

Back