The non-muscle American car thread (READ THE OP)

• Thread starter The87Dodge
  • 1,522 comments

In your opinion, which country makes the best looking cars?

• Total voters
Yeah, I thought it was an old European car when I first saw it, but after taking a closer look, I realized it was a Maverick.
Only those modifications are, unfortunately, really popular on classic Japanese imports right now and not European ones. And upon a little investigation, it was built under the auspices of someone who indeed molested--or at least commissioned the molestation of--a Japanese classic.

sung-kang-fast-and-furious-datsun-240z-00.jpg

Only those modifications are, unfortunately, really popular on classic Japanese imports right now and not European ones. And upon a little investigation, it was built under the auspices of someone who indeed molested--or at least commissioned the molestation of--a Japanese classic.

sung-kang-fast-and-furious-datsun-240z-00.jpg
Molested? I think most would say that 240Z is tasteful.

Molested? I think most would say that 240Z is tasteful.
Clearly I'm not among them and would say they're wrong. It reeks of the whole Rocket Bunny and/or Liberty Walk fad and I consider it tacky as all get out. Oh yeah and TE37s.

Uh, what Chrysler is this exactly?
21367048175_43e7dae51e_c.jpg
1931 Model 70, with the visor removed. There's a very slight possibility it's a Club Sedan, as I can't tell whether the windshield is split or not, but it seems unlikely.

ebay323988.jpg

Not a fan of the rims, but otherwise it looks OK. Maybe a tad too low.
I don't really love how the truck was modified, but I mentioned it to you since I know you like lowered trucks. Those rims certainly aren't the right fit IMO.

Okay, I had these pictures on my flickr for months and its driving me crazy that I can't label the car by its proper name. So, can someone tell me what this is? I think it's some kind of Dusenberg, but I don't know what.
28971450393_edd6f58e66_z.jpg

29304831230_d5b4e4eccb_z.jpg

Judging by the fact it's on radial tires, I'm not exactly sure if that thing is legitimate.

IMG_6919.PNG

These are prolly the right tire/wheel combo

Judging by the fact it's on radial tires, I'm not exactly sure if that thing is legitimate.

I hadn't noticed that. The wheels are wrong too. Deusy's had only one set of pipes through the hood, on the passenger side. I figured the pic was reversed, but with the wrong wheels/tires maybe its a kit car.

I hadn't noticed that. The wheels are wrong too. Deusy's had only one set of pipes through the hood, on the passenger side. I figured the pic was reversed, but with the wrong wheels/tires maybe its a kit car.

It's a kit car for sure, probably by some company that's kicked the bucket before the year 2000.

Duesenberg Model J.
I originally thought that, but I didn't see any model Js on google images that shared the same roof as the one in my picture nor the same air vents on the sides.

Ah, so it was a kit car. Okay, thank you fellas.

Though, I'm going to try figuring out what kit car exactly. At least for now I can label those pictures some kit car.

While this doesn't rule out the possibility that it's a replica, it's worth noting that the Duesy replica world gravitates toward the far more desirable speedsters and phaetons. Also, I don't think wheels and tires are indicative of a fake when body, paint and upholstery, while not inexpensive, can be farmed out relatively easily, but a set of correct wheels, unrefurbished, can easily set someone back the cost of a new, well-fitted semi-luxury midsize. Even appropriate, but still not correct, Kelsey Hayes wires like those you'd find on Fords of the period are quite spendy. I'd also choose radials over bias plys for a runner without even batting a lash.

Cadillac Brougham

٢٠١٧٠٣٢٢_١٧٣٦١٤.jpg

espF-LjsZA.jpg

IMO I think it's one of the last Cadillac to have that caddy feelings. There's something missing about the current lineup from the older classics.

Attachments

• BHmCKXBBo5x.jpg
    BHmCKXBBo5x.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 9
IMO I think it's one of the last Cadillac to have that caddy feelings. There's something missing about the current lineup from the older classics.

A former girlfriend had one of those Caddys. The sensory experience was amazing. It was like a floating feeling, isolated from the outside world, and the minions in lesser vehicles. It also had a feeling of substance, like it could have a run-in with a tank and it would come out unscathed. I loved it.

A former girlfriend had one of those Caddys. The sensory experience was amazing. It was like a floating feeling, isolated from the outside world, and the minions in lesser vehicles. It also had a feeling of substance, like it could have a run-in with a tank and it would come out unscathed. I loved it.
My dad, my uncle's and plenty of people who owned/took a ride in that caddy along with several other large American cars often describe to me what you said and also being one of the reason why American cars were so popular over here back in the day.

That image of the white one belong to my neighbour btw.

While this doesn't rule out the possibility that it's a replica, it's worth noting that the Duesy replica world gravitates toward the far more desirable speedsters and phaetons.

Although it's very true they always seem to gravitate towards the roadsters, the example that he posted has a spare that doesn't match the rest of the tires on the car, and the fit and finish that the car has just makes it possibly either a replica or, a really bad and gut-wrenching restoration of a car that deserves something far more than a effort-lacking overhaul.

I'd also choose radials over bias plys for a runner without even batting a lash.

Those bias-ply's might not be as easy to live with, but they look far nicer than those radials on anything that Packard made. The latter just appear to seem too rugged appearing for the classy look that a Packard of any era tries to give off. And yes, even a '58 Packard should at least try to look presentable even if it's a Studebaker with the Packard name on it. Not to mention you're basically slapping on Polyglas GT's with a whitewall side trim.

@Turbo I'm getting insane Flat-Out vibes from those pics, especially from that Aspen/Volare with the sidepipes and foglights. Can't forget that AMC Gremlin. Looks very period with those french Cibie foglights and decals.

Back