The OEM Wheels on the "wrong" car thread (Read OP)

United States
Elizabeth, New Jersey, USA
One modification I've always been intrigued by is cars with OEM wheels that came from another car. So, here's the thread to post cars with the "wrong" OEM wheels that you find interesting.

The rules are simple: make sure to post modifications that are at least somewhat tasteful, no photoshops, and no cars with stock or aftermarket wheels allowed.

Lets get the ball rolling! Here are a few examples:

Saab 9-3 on Opel Insignia rims:

N2Fjye1.jpg

BMW E30 with Ferrari 348 rims:

BMW-E30-325i-41-Web.jpg

Nissan Leaf on 350Z rims:

d69ryre.jpg

Porsche 911 on Bugatti EB110 rims:

15961220962_4e876be661_c.jpg

Volkswagen Scirocco on Maserati Biturbo rims:

fQO2JBk.jpg

Honda S2000 on NSX rims:

med_gallery_45031_16_1114011376.jpg

Pontiac G8 GT on BMW X5 rims.

6780058851_3ea906e2ff_b.jpg

422107_10150566068590789_175836540788_8872559_928745322_n.jpg

Mini Cooper on Porsche 924 rims:

4423435284_9dd4fa4de5_o.jpg

3rd-gen Legacy on 4th-gen rims.

7M2uZAL.jpg

What's wrong with sidewalls? Serious question. The only thing here that has any of note is that Civic. Do you just want big "rims" (I feel like at a certain ratio of wheel diameter to sidewall height the appropriate 'wheels' moniker is ditched for the colloquial term that technically refers to "the upper or outer edge of an object, typically something circular or approximately circular", presumably because it sounds better) so badly that you're willing to do away with comfortable and quiet (at least in terms of road noise) progress?

What's wrong with sidewalls? Serious question. The only thing here that has any of note is that Civic. Do you just want big "rims" (I feel like at a certain ratio of wheel diameter to sidewall height the appropriate 'wheels' moniker is ditched for the colloquial term that technically refers to "the upper or outer edge of an object, typically something circular or approximately circular", presumably because it sounds better) so badly that you're willing to do away with comfortable and quiet (at least in terms of road noise) progress?
I'd be more concerned with some of these for width. I know I'm not really one to talk, but for example, if you go with the second design salad shooters specifically, like this one:
0c84725e27d3b81f7b9c82c889802203.jpg

Those were only available in 17x9.5 or 17x11 (whereas the original salad shooters and the sawblades were common in narrower width that can mount tires that aren't completely insane for a hot hatch). It probably looks pretty damn cool when you turn the wheel (all of the 12 degrees I suspect is allowed without rubbing) to see the tire, but I'm guessing the Mk IV Golf, even in R32 form, wasn't meant to have 9.5 inch wheels or 265-285 tires

I'd be more concerned with some of these for width. I know I'm not really one to talk, but for example, if you go with the second design salad shooters specifically, like this one:
0c84725e27d3b81f7b9c82c889802203.jpg

Those were only available in 17x9.5 or 17x11 (whereas the original salad shooters and the sawblades were common in narrower width that can mount tires that aren't completely insane for a hot hatch). It probably looks pretty damn cool when you turn the wheel (all of the 12 degrees I suspect is allowed without rubbing) to see the tire, but I'm guessing the Mk IV Golf, even in R32 form, wasn't meant to have 9.5 inch wheels or 265-285 tires
Wow, yeah, the width hadn't even occurred to me as it doesn't stand out as much as those rubberbands.

I'm generally on your page with this, but I suspect the main idea of most of these cars is style over substance, so I can't imagine most people care that much. It's not like people were seeking actual downforce with the bodykits of the late 90s and early 2000s, either...

The number of modification styles that actually result in a car that drives better than OEM is fairly small.

I'm generally on your page with this, but I suspect the main idea of most of these cars is style over substance, so I can't imagine most people care that much. It's not like people were seeking actual downforce with the bodykits of the late 90s and early 2000s, either...

The number of modification styles that actually result in a car that drives better than OEM is fairly small.
[begrudgingly] Yeah...that's fair.

High profile tyres tend to be quite flexible. Great for ride comfort but not necessarily for precision handling.
I'm not talking about 85-series rubber here. At 19", I think the OEM wheels on my Acura are massive, but they're also shod with 255/50 Michelins that really envelope them. And while I absolutely won't go up a size, I'm not compelled to go down either. Heck, just look at that ND below your post.

I also question performance being the reason for the choice. As was suggested, I suspect it's only about appearance in most (if not all) cases here...and I don't get the appeal. But, you know, I readily acknowledge that that's me. I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just asking, "What's wrong with sidewalls?"

I also question performance being the reason for the choice. As was suggested, I suspect it's only about appearance in most (if not all) cases here...and I don't get the appeal. But, you know, I readily acknowledge that that's me. I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just asking, "What's wrong with sidewalls?"
Performance would be my reason.

Appearance is probably the reason for the cars posted here though. If you want bigger rims and the change to the original circumference of the wheel is limited by law* you don't really have any other options.

*the law, where I live, limits the change to 5%.

[begrudgingly] Yeah...that's fair.

I'm not talking about 85-series rubber here. At 19", I think the OEM wheels on my Acura are massive, but they're also shod with 255/50 Michelins that really envelope them. And while I absolutely won't go up a size, I'm not compelled to go down either. Heck, just look at that ND below your post.

Always hated small sidewalls myself. Just makes a car look purely for aesthetic for me, and I think that kinda gets bland.

I'm just asking, "What's wrong with sidewalls?"
Some people, according to their own words, absolutely need 35 series or something like that as anything higher makes the handling all mushy and unresponsive. If anything it makes me wonder what kind of pressures they run as I have 205/60R16s at 2,8 bar and I can't call it unresponsive, even coming from a karting background.

Back