The official GTP beard thread!

• Thread starter Michael88
  • 37 comments
Austria
Nicest part of hell
This is the official Beard-thread. A place to discuss everything about facial hair - grooming, trimming, styles, general questions about beard growth etc.

Don't by shy, don't hold back!
BJFz5IQ.png

Last edited:
Stubble is my general facial accessory since I’m too lazy to wet shave daily and I look homeless after more than a week of not trimming.

I use a set of hair clippers, not ideal, but they trim enough off so that I appear to have a constant 5 o’clock shadow. It isn’t, however, designer stubble, which is something unachievable with my hair clippers.

I am a fan of sideburns because they just seem natural with my hair type. Not quite Elvis or Guy Martin ‘burns, but a nice fuzzy jawline adornment.

I struggle to grow even facial hair. The right side of my jaw and neck grows significantly more than the left side.

Pair that with the fact that I can't grow much to begin with, it's not worth trying to trim it all even.

I'll check back into this thread in about 10 years and let you guys know if it's any better :lol:.

I've dabbled with keeping a beard over the winter, and thus far it's been a great success. I had to get a beard trimmer after a couple months because I was tired of the Jeremiah Johnson look, but overall I've been happy with it.

The first beard I actually grew died a very slow, and very painful death. Going from a full beard down to a goatee, then handlebar, then mustache, then clean shaven. Learned at that time that I can almost pull off the Goose look from Top Gun.

I'm a very lazy shaver. I have no interest in looking presentable 99% of the time. So my regimen is.... Shave head and beard to lowest grade on my hair trimmer and then leave it until I start to find, lost pets, bakeries & family members trapped on my chin. Then its just rinse and repeat.

I don't presently have one for better mask fitment. I tried mutton chops but Sheila laughed at me and I ended up knocking them down as well before ultimately going all smooth.

I struggle to grow even facial hair. The right side of my jaw and neck grows significantly more than the left side.

Pair that with the fact that I can't grow much to begin with, it's not worth trying to trim it all even.

I'll check back into this thread in about 10 years and let you guys know if it's any better :lol:.
Alright, I've done my best. Have to knock it off today. It's starting to look weird.

EDIT: The other side is more patchy, obviously showed the thicker side.

Snapchat-529745821.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve got a 2 week break from school coming up. I’ll attempt to grow what I can in that time. Before and after pics will added. Depending on how well it goes I may keep something, likely full length sideburns as they’re something I’m used to having.

That reminds me, I still have to shave.

Am I the only one who only shaves once a week? Luckily I wear a KN95 or surgical facial mask when I'm amongst other human beings, so they don't see how unhygienic I'm. :P

Am I the only one who only shaves once a week?

If I’m feeling lazy and I have no particular reason to look presentable I’ll might shave once a week. Otherwise, every few days is enough effort to appease my critics.

I'm a very lazy shaver. I have no interest in looking presentable 99% of the time. So my regimen is.... Shave head and beard to lowest grade on my hair trimmer and then leave it until I start to find, lost pets, bakeries & family members trapped on my chin. Then its just rinse and repeat.

Pretty much the same. Shave my head every 7-10 days (grade 1 with corded Wahl clippers) and at the same time trim my beard/long stubble down to a level that no longer itches. I'll probably trim any neck hair down to the lowest my Philips OneBlade will take it a couple of times between shaves too.

I'd go longer beard, and have done in the past, but i find breaking through that 'itchy like hell' point tough and realistically you spend just as long maintaining a proper beard as you do maintaining stubble, so i don't see the point. MrsCracker isn't into beards either so that seals its fate.

I've been going 2-3 days to let my skin heal. Daily means more work to minimize discomfort, and less frequently means more work to actually knock it down.

I've had a beard of one length or another for about 25 years now, been happy with this length for years now, and spend less time trimming and shaving it than I do my head.

IMG_1607.JPG

Last edited:
Am I the only one who only shaves once a week?
Between November and April I do not shave at all. I consider it illogical to shave off my natural neck/face insulator. Measuring it just now, my beard is about 10cm long.

Over the summer I keep it off the neck, low on my cheeks, and maybe about 3cm long because of the heat.

My shaving "habit":
  • Trim beard
  • Shave beard with an electric shaving thing machine.
  • Shave beard with shaving creme and razor blade thing to finish things off.
After this, my skin feels like a baby's butt. :lol:

Mind the word "feels".

My shaving "habit":
  • Trim beard
  • Shave beard with an electric shaving thing machine.
  • Shave beard with shaving creme and razor blade thing to finish things off.
After this, my skin feels like a baby's butt. :lol:

Mind the word "feels".
I often do that as well, if it gets to a certain length.

At it's current length I can use the trimmer side of my electric shaver, wait a day, then use the actual shaver which typically gets pretty close. Wait one more day, hit it with the safety razor.

Why not just safety razor it and be done? I don't know. Just my routine lol.

I've got all the length I can out of the small patch that I can grow at the moment. I think that the thing I've done with it really goes well with the Linus face I'm pulling.

DSC_0097.JPG

I found some photos of the last beard's slow, painful death:

Goatee after shaving most of it:

J7eBCH4BviYaIuY0j_s7fPuOwSU3LM5L_PcLcKb4gsJCxCuOwYoDDRi2Bo8NDTukCEwaCy8JTrOmGQ22m3m0M0JVK_xN-2pqKjawgvo3lwDtmbleDY37-njaAyhd6-11aye_w5gepkboNW36AGQdsDwtXCpRnoTrPXzu7gaGWrQvi00iR_8YXmBV18FbIIpfPiQWlQi4TrqhTN9HZombsLHnI3UMc5lvqytvSREbdUtreslkWGdZgYGGXBD_N8Pf-8aLIYdXihaJH1pDvKXImfde_fR-uFf5WSP1oL0_tMctPLp8QqL9BDDC3-EkmJSUu2tjQ-qEfWe7DDK3eOI6wxpRQc5EtNPVIKZLtIclg8j4djcNEhKnrD5shuEiNLeuhlP_q1PulPmV9u5xTn6hxa3WR6hfTLrhDyZDTTSj2FXG3Ou6hbuhByGh4G_2ncjtzDZWynu-UOC9rGGdY9Lyrrk0y0q_G0UHjng7IGOcXd2IWBe6tN7_VxDZGZq1VoEC4dhQbYgZerjaFrJztj9NssmiFHDfco2Myyn3XzCXD6NOcJ2P3biV3UbG7mxQkjYUPsM4kGxyudOBOc00eSnm9DY2jpy2oMWyMex1GsHExLBt4UBmz--dLMP_aKRU2sZ4dTagUOnYmz0p7rkaaD6V6IxFd0jnyNxIZLikiiejd0WffKpPSHRuLvWt1_Y52SlGKAY0Dn750BiTrAvQ2cXOakc=w834-h625-no

After that I decided to really regret my life choices and went for the handlebar:

cGKMYtivCAHztATFR-4Pmwt41PRBGQ-TMzkTZMFwCuzZ4e-6RmzshCIJeTvIMJUS2HwIbETnBKxZMICXE4lqSochEMALc0WzkO_CCiMB6hEQf31GNzKVFt2lYaBLVZgt582qT14jktbUQvsTrZJ6_X3E0QytqNjujYtd3EN8PI_aGPbdNjz_KxmwIxUPfdLYMb2A79iZsKKKkCHT9rlylap3k_A1o04FSFl3mPfxDmWaQ_1KtgLpTO0F2f95AjQaIMeQVIOX0_lWb8VEzMrpE3rswGX1VoHZfHWKdMOvOLJzoaALehbmA0a_WzYzXMwGGIYKfnroPDg3VMfIgqWe3grt2WRWFZ7IIK1ll92yyVOG2o2Iul9o_PJdsn6-PZp9ppAtwu5pD64YOcRhf4vR5PjvaqWFAVQzBpAm04nSMnv2u-TUuBc9imH1dShwfIFZqZixSkKRPNADtdepvT-9r7J20KzPqut3_r60I9VejZ_hZpwIGahwgqEMUa_m1wgVonz1L5bKSiQojIoHC98syjLaV9iQzC-oFo0gzdZmsusLLG5Lh3Hvj9ZvXBe6vLuyDxRvsBmbyj8XaQcr4ILw58sFe2ALcjunKnbjtmKJsYyVeJ4inW2tCXi0uPSNUQTRJBDu-tCk0kdB4TGdD4g68j2D3QDkwjowLYQj9DdzoZD1JvWQAi5p22Z5N-3K2-boxCfL959-T9cMs9LRGATMdCQ=w469-h625-no

The "Goose" look:

q5yxYPXAkTWDlcMKkaCjZ9UD4DR2KE-K5uRRHaTaQjB3sYFnKVgx8srvIw-IlEX_-ZhuT24VVaCFQG8oEnKoWyVMIy057XfWksb-KBztuyhFOqjgidoMNkqcPfLrQRwpnclHJLaXkS_-YxvmqO-oTT98NbpoUGRSB9hYJBXRB5YuQKfKRUaehW9wvRKFKxGa8S2sIPecnU9KUxci6lCqC1tQR3-3OwtnwbR0AOoRGOYwDnIFR_sWsQoy8reCiI17bxk2nimRPxg9612hjWOdVj0Mo3cDiywDLhOA5K3F-ZSb-7ktE8ijJNU-g64gN079keAsX2dv6vWZvpPFkafKN_1liC-43Pt01Tiva1_KlxCuzTlliXFtF-DtxUN6-EThYBC3OGr9VFnxFExpLgHNuB0rs_qImxeFvVbiH0y8CskwvPMNFq6-EUJt-NiUI0TpC_7TvJaxJOCsRx_LDdOG12K58PtQiv252qNutlQgpsem4x73_Ct2Rou5kp-VEWqNGlg4gJgimtjZTpiqsxGMV4-vTqgp31KtBlRXTCo8h85PzTNV0JPyFBQxmBCmObe7YZND5dYBXElwtDwWjBpmHwY2vJbtvf9QA5YSmVkgeMslPT1nK7mYwjWmVdka-zjvP92F05X0nvdsNBhuKHV2y9ABjmqmDg-GUmguvLxEEy1HjGgKM4Zej6yqLn9B31o8UuoGyPgZY3bUC2GHWww9sAo=w469-h625-no

This is how I'm sitting now:

QOQQemMqGFOJJDZCE3TV0nTsKfhruBtQe2kV7d-6H-KC1qRDRvVidqMQDTHkt_NM9z_mWoS8z8mTHuHeUZea0AdCF9bptIUimBXIfNjgVkf3NRJrHktyJvYzZjL9_OH1NtG8NzzUSCu1miLpnyOyAHfVVxG-rClGh9_evrjnhTSrluQImBr5wZaKxCHndsc8ZSBcFxM15qQfh_yRm6IiPOeqHAKyUWBqRzlPKkG3-Uya2TljVUDD8bevpIx9WCWV_Tn6zLjcCGCXn_DHozYxjoeOna-26aODS6H6EKXyeLeiXXhh0uC7iowpIRiBDeGFw0xuqsUig95gVoT-8FpCth8DcIYWQJeo9AbYqyknZQHBv5Oj83xVd_tJ2TLQGSveZaXur2KuAL6YZV0-41d_n1RtTRxSArliT_e9XDwNL4mfW5a40V1_-haIKNu9VEO1LzK96vTPPWd_eJNrxiryMN5X0uqbuJljIuKbvPZ9nHMe1DBLMO2tonuVL_b6ynfQamjZRK-99cCmsU_k8tSaHcLM04AWi6nH36w2hqO2W5y_BJjMIHhTLFyr-Upkib7gPTkcoQMETixCe5e9k6OW50RUr7jiO72PKRGqSEazFJgY8wPbzSHyTx11gLk1k0XCNS4q1JGnnQ58Ly3PbBp1bJh4Fa0bDdxC_mRqHr8OzfpXFr-tSzZ27kjpFGyrceEt-IBRmdiIzfAe5hnfwQBOn7g=w469-h625-no

I think it's amazing how different you can look just from what you do with your facial hair.

I usually just trim the beard up every week, and knock the stubble down as low as my trimmer will go. No sense wasting the time shaving.

I'll probably keep this around until it warms up a little more, then go back to clean shaven until next fall.

I’m rather surprised I’m not the only one around here who enjoys Stone Sour.
Yeah - really nice bit of variety across a consistently strong discography, though quite the shame that they put the whole thing in the cupboard for the foreseeable future.

I found out today that a week old beard and surgical facial masks don't well together. The beard acts like velcro and pulls the mask down all the time.

I found out today that a week old beard and surgical facial masks don't well together. The beard acts like velcro and pulls the mask down all the time.

I find that slightly grown out facial hair is less Velcroy than fresh stubble, which is probably the inspiration for Velcro.

I have been shoven.

I really am. I shaved my face and got rid of one week of facial hair.

I wanted to grow a beard throughout my 20s, but my job at the time and my ex wife put paid to it. When we split up, I decided to grow one.

I had it fairly short to start, but then I let it grow until I couldn't bare it anymore.

rsz_20190801_160304-01.png

I haven't let it go anywhere near that long since and this current length has grown out from quite a close cut I accidentally gave myself with the wrong attachment on the trimmer...

rsz_20210322_110717-01.png

I can't see myself being clean shaven ever again, quite honestly. Might trim it to just a moustache and chin goatee, but even that I'm not sure about. Over Christmas and into January I did let the chin grow out Serj Tankian style, but I never got a pic.

Last edited:
A dinner party last night saw the end of my most recent lazy spell thanks to Mrs Shem’s demand for me to not look homeless, so I’m back to early growth. However, I did retain the sideburns so will keep those and see how well I can grow them.

Wife and work don’t seem to consider sideburns a “beard” so I can get away with letting those grow wild.

I've had a beard for, oh I don't know, like 7 years now? It's a mess at the moment and I have a serious receding hairline.

BQLyjVj.jpg

Project beard is go!

B5295297-B859-49E1-BCDE-1C14C2B9A127.jpeg

Please excuse the unflattering pic. Did both my face and scalp with 0.5 on the clippers this past Friday (2nd March). I will attempt to remain unshaven until I return to work in a few week.

Last edited:
Back