The Olympic Committee Says Esports Meet The Standards of Traditional Sport

Last edited:
I hope that Olympic Games will disappear soon. It's a disaster to every country. It costs millions and millions paid by citizens and after "the party" buildings and facilities are abandoned. As happened in Rio, Barcelone and Sevilla (which was in competition for it).

Olympic games are a great fake to win money.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/gallery/2017/feb/10/rios-olympic-venues-six-months-on-in-pictures

I agree with this statement, for the most part, but there have been successful Olympic ventures. Most of them have been in 'safe' cities such as London and Tokyo. FWIW, every iteration of the LA games so far have made money to my knowledge, and from personal experience, Vancouver's turn in 2010 was successful and came packaged with much needed infrastructure additions such as a safer Sea-to-Sky Highway, the repairs and changes to the roof of BC Place, and others. The only real duds are the Richmond Skating Oval and the Athletes Village.

It's when it's placed in second or third world countries where things get dodgy, or in places where there's an obvious vacuum of real oversight (Montreal in 1976, especially with regards to Olympic Stadium comes to mind)

I don't agree with video games being in the Olympics. The X-games seem like a better fit for something like this.

I hope that the Olympic Games will disappear soon. It's a disaster in every country. It costs millions and millions paid by citizens and after "the party" buildings and facilities are abandoned. As happened in Rio, Barcelone and Sevilla (which was in competition for it).

I think places with the winter Olympics tend to do better. When they were in Salt Lake City in 2002, they actually were fairly successful and turned a profit. It also bolstered tourism by being a two week advertisement that you should come here and ski. The city didn't really feel any ill effects from it and as far as I can see, nothing has gone to waste. They turned the village into condos, the stadium is now the Ute's football stadium, and all the hotels are within minutes of the ski areas. The Olympic park in Park City also still works as a training center and hosts a ton of amateur competitions.

I don't agree with video games being in the Olympics. The X-games seem like a better fit for something like this.

I think places with the winter Olympics tend to do better. When they were in Salt Lake City in 2002, they actually were fairly successful and turned a profit. It also bolstered tourism by being a two week advertisement that you should come here and ski. The city didn't really feel any ill effects from it and as far as I can see, nothing has gone to waste. They turned the village into condos, the stadium is now the Ute's football stadium, and all the hotels are within minutes of the ski areas. The Olympic park in Park City also still works as a training center and hosts a ton of amateur competitions.

Yeah, I'd agree with that assessment that the Winter Olympics generally do better from a money standpoint, with most of the money making Summer Olympiads being in the aforementioned 'safe' cities.

Rocket League already has their own tournaments and big league events(also TV-like coverage). They don't need any stinking Olympics!

So, considering the FIA linkage, I think it's not crazy to think GT Sport would be a perfect candidate for this?

So, considering the FIA linkage, I think it's not crazy to think GT Sport would be a perfect candidate for this?

I'd say it's fine as it is being with the FIA, alongside all the other major motorsport series. It's not like kart racing or F1 is part of the Olympics.

I'd say, most of all, this is a sign that the IOC is desperately trying to stay relevant in the eyes of kids, when at the same time it has become a money-making machine that has long since lost sight of their original values. The schedule is bloated with ridiculous competitions that nobody cares about, but whatever country happens to dominate it pushed for to bolster their medal-count. So it's only natural that they would try to pander to the generation they are losing. They really don't care, if e-Sports (the name itself is misleading in my opinion) actually fits with their ideals. They just want to make sure they have an audience, so that they can continue to sell the TV rights for the right price.

Ladies and gentlemen on tonight's show of David Letterman, our guest include Brad Pitt, Neymar, and Olympian known as yourmomsucks69 who won gold by scoring a glitched injury time winner on FIFA 19 with......Neymar!

Bunch of jokers. There are sports that should not be in the Olympics. There are sports that aren't in the Olympics, shouldn't be in the Olympics, but should be way ahead in the cue of this nonsense.

Lets not exclude them from ped testing either.

I'm intrigued how it will work if all the violent games are prohibited. Those are the most popular ones. If such games aren't allowed I wonder what South Korea is thinking now since they were the ones who really pushed for it.

Like I've said before, sim racing doesn't require any athletis skills; unless you're using high torque wheels & no in-game power steering with full 6DOF motion platforms.

An asthmatic sim-racing weakling on a DFGT with the FFB set to 1 cannot really be considered an athlete!

Last edited:
Desperation in the form of validation. I'm in wonder why the Olympic Committee and the Olympics are even a thing anymore.

Latest Posts

Back