The penalty system thread

• Thread starter JacoJa
  • 100 comments
Got whacked with a fifteen second penalty for putting one wheel over the ripple strip on Kyoto Yamigawa Reverse in my Porsche 911 RSR. Almost ruined my race. Also got a ten second penalty for bumping into a Lamborghini who braked too early, and a five second one for another corner cut. I was demoted to a C Sportsman Rating due to my 30 seconds worth of penalties, which were overly harsh for the most part. Still came third though...

Anyone else started giving up positions easier, out of fear of small contacting with other drivers and losing their SR ? Because it seems that people don't have the patience to wait their chance and pass you clean and all of this is turning into a fight for keeping your SR clean.
Last evening at the FIA Manufacturers race was running in my 911 RSR . So i clipped one strip on the S's , span out - hit the wall and got 10 sec of penalties . OK game, even tho i lost positions on the grid and haven't had any contact with any other car i still get punished for it ? Makes sense.
And to top that, on the last lap at the last corner this GTR goes tunnel vision - rocket diving into my rear (i was on the inside with more than 0.5 sec) completely blowing me out of the track and had to wait another 5 gentleman racers to pass before i made my way back onto the track.
Result ? started in 3'rd , finished 15th , went from blue S-SR to red A-SR. This was on a B-A DR / S SR race btw.

Anyone else started giving up positions easier, out of fear of small contacting with other drivers and losing their SR ? Because it seems that people don't have the patience to wait their chance and pass you clean and all of this is turning into a fight for keeping your SR clean.
Last evening at the FIA Manufacturers race was running in my 911 RSR . So i clipped one strip on the S's , span out - hit the wall and got 10 sec of penalties . OK game, even tho i lost positions on the grid and haven't had any contact with any other car i still get punished for it ? Makes sense.
And to top that, on the last lap at the last corner this GTR goes tunnel vision - rocket diving into my rear (i was on the inside with more than 0.5 sec) completely blowing me out of the track and had to wait another 5 gentleman racers to pass before i made my way back onto the track.
Result ? started in 3'rd , finished 15th , went from blue S-SR to red A-SR. This was on a B-A DR / S SR race btw.

The red and blue only signify loss or gain.

Yes this what I'm talking about. No way to rank up if you wanna race clean and fair. You can choose to get pummelled or choose not to fight for a position.
:(

One thing I think PD could do that would make a good change it looking at the SR algorithm specifically surrounding cars re-entering the track.
Last night I was driving the Alsace Village II GR.4 race. I'm driving at DR:B and SR:A, coming into the final downhill hairpin a GT-R running in 2nd at the time goes wide and into the grass.

I was in 4th at the time and notice him in the grass, I give him over 2 car widths of space to come back onto the track, yet he still manages to swerve into me when he comes back on, hits me in the rear quarter panel - I stay in front so no problem in that regard.

However, this incident gave me a -SR tick, which really shouldn't be happening - it should be the responsibility of the car rejoining the track to be safe, especially when I gave him ample room.
It's frustrating because I made extra effort in this race to drive especially clean to try and get my SR to S, yet this - combined with somebody rear ending me in the first chicane on lap 1 was enough -SR to keep my letter white at the end of the race.

Just got given a 10 second penalty for a shunt in the back, as I'm coming out of the sweeping first bend at Kyoto driving park and given a slow down warning, for crying out loud! Hello SR system! I was clearly ahead, quite rightfully on the racing line and at a point on the course, where I was supposed to be accelerating!

I'm more annoyed by the level of driving standards of some drivers, specially racing against "A" grade at SR, on Group 4 machinery.

Gradding from B to A after the first race at Suzuka, I was expecting much cleaner racing at Interlagos, actually was much worse, at a moment I was tapped three times in the same corner, during breaking, turning and exiting, as I was fighting to keep control of the car after the fast tap. And, the long corners of Interlagos allow you to burn easilly your penalties without hurting your result much.
At Brands Hatch, at third race, the driver in front had a poor exit at Druids hairpin, I put some pressure on him going to Graham Hill bend, has I went defensive on the inside, I braked earlier, so I was earlier on the throttle, passing him on the way to Surtees. I was aware he was on my inside behind me, so I took the outside line to Surtees, leaving space to him, but we still hit me on my left back corner, I was awarded with a 10 sec penalty, by some reason. No idea if he was penalised, has I quit the race on the moment, after Interlagos nightmare, that was too much for me. Not even bothering with the rest of the series.

The system isn't always unfair, but lacks consistency to make racing enjoyable.

At Interlagos, by some reason, starting in 19th, I started exactly 4 seconds behind 18th, the back of the back was going through Senna SS allredy, at the moment I was passing the Start/Finnish line. Not I'm complayning, at least I had half a lap of decent racing, until I started catching up the back of the pack.

Another thing to mess up the Gr. 4 races is that many people don't seem to understand that they are racing with cars leveled performance wise, but with very different physics, FWD, RWD, 4WD, some with better aero, other with better grip, not every car brake at the same point, neither go on throttle on the same point, etc.

Another thing to mess up the Gr. 4 races is that many people don't seem to understand that they are racing with cars leveled performance wise, but with very different physics, FWD, RWD, 4WD, some with better aero, other with better grip, not every car brake at the same point, neither go on throttle on the same point, etc.

A prime example is I normally drive a Viper because mainly I like the car and it is a pretty stable machine that really seems to not to excell at anything but does everything fairly well.

Racing if I get behind a Lambo in most drivers hands approaching a tight radius corner then I need to lift off the gas and move my braking point way back or I will usually bump the Lambo in the rear at corner entrance as it appears to be very unstable on the brakes on corner entry and most drivers of the Lambo slow much more at corner entry than my Viper requires.
(I have not driven one in this game although from past games I do remember I did not like the driving style required of most mid engine cars)
The lambos are fast though, this game to do well in multi vehicle races you do need to learn where a vehicles strong points and weak points are going to be.

Some cars are strong and will attack on corner entry, some cars accelerate well out of a corner and will try to gain the advantage there on short straights, some cars carry high corner speeds and long sweepers will be their most likely attack point, some cars carry a quick acceleration and high top end so a long straight will be their choice of attack location.

I think a racer is better off to concentrate on driving and really knowing and understanding the cars they drive strong and weak points and learning the absolute limits these cars are capable of and as they learn what the opposition is capable of then they can more wisely know whether to attack or defend or perhaps give way to try to regain the position later rather than crash or be penalized by overstepping their cars ability or trying to be faster than the talent they have available at their disposal.

This is just my opinion and I am old and slow!

A prime example is I normally drive a Viper because mainly I like the car and it is a pretty stable machine that really seems to not to excell at anything but does everything fairly well.

Racing if I get behind a Lambo in most drivers hands approaching a tight radius corner then I need to lift off the gas and move my braking point way back or I will usually bump the Lambo in the rear at corner entrance as it appears to be very unstable on the brakes on corner entry.
(I have not driven one in this game although from past games I do remember I did not like the driving style required of most mid engine cars)
The lambos are fast though, this game to do well in multi vehicle races you do need to learn where a vehicles strong points and weak points are going to be.

Some cars are strong and will attack on corner entry, some cars accelerate well out of a corner and will try to gain the advantage there on short straights, some cars carry high corner speeds and long sweepers will be their most likely attack point, some cars carry a quick acceleration and high top end so a long straight will be their choice of attack location.

I think a racer is better off to concentrate on driving and really knowing and understanding the cars they drive strong ang weak points and learning the absolute limits these cars are capable of and as they learn what the opposition is capable of then they can more wisely know whether to attack or defend or perhaps give way to try to regain the position later rather than crash or be penalized by overstepping their cars ability or trying to be faster than the talent they have available at their disposal.

This is just my opinion and I am old and slow!

To add onto this, I think most people don't understand the difference between a hot lap, and driving in traffic.
I find most people who are driving in traffic are hard on brakes and the throttle like they're setting a qualifying lap which causes a lot of the bumps as they don't allow any wiggle room to navigate.

If people stopped trying to drive every lap at full speed despite the traffic in front of them I think we'd have cleaner races. This doesn't mean purposely drive it slowly, but if you're right on the ass of somebody else and you know you're about to come to a brake point - either lift off the gas, or take a different line.

Especially at the beginning of a race when you have no idea how the guy in front of you drives.

SR:S rating doesn't mean they are clean. But higher DR with SR:S is much more cleaner than lower DR with SR:S. I recorded all my GTS Sport Race at my YT Channel ( http://youtube.com/AzrilNazliAlias ) from Day 1 to today ( from beginning to DR:B ).

Most of the time I'll try to avoid contacts by backing up or reading my opponents move.

To add onto this, I think most people don't understand the difference between a hot lap, and driving in traffic.
I find most people who are driving in traffic are hard on brakes and the throttle like they're setting a qualifying lap which causes a lot of the bumps as they don't allow any wiggle room to navigate.

If people stopped trying to drive every lap at full speed despite the traffic in front of them I think we'd have cleaner races. This doesn't mean purposely drive it slowly, but if you're right on the ass of somebody else and you know you're about to come to a brake point - either lift off the gas, or take a different line.

Especially at the beginning of a race when you have no idea how the guy in front of you drives.

Exactly. How many races we see someone crushing fastest lap times and, at the same time, going down the order due the crashes and handling penalties? My first win on a daily race was against a guy 2 secs faster than anyone else, both on qualifying and fastest lap, but on the race, as the second place guy gave a run for is money on the first corners, kept overcooking it, finished 4th or 5th. All I had to do was to put pressure on the then promoted first, without even trying to pass him, braking earlier, getting slow in, fast out on the corners to keep close on the straights until him too overshot a braking point. I realize I was very lucky, apart from other car o was reasonably close, most of the rivals were much slower and no one really bothered me from the back.

The problem is that when we are careful, we have many times the races ruined by the guys on the back, specially the guys on the back of the grid, who seem to think they can put their cars from last places on a rostrum position in the first half of the first lap of every race.

I stopped entering all short races because of this stuff. At least in the longer races there is more time to assess the field around you.

It still happens in the longer races but the must pass mentality is tempered a little because there is much more time to wait for a proper passing opportunity.

Ok, this one has me confused, just completed the 8 lap Interlagos Gr3 race, I started in second and it was very close between the guy ahead of me and myself. I had many opportunities I could have taken him out with a sly nudge and copped the negative SR and for that section, made up for it in other sections and won the race... except I'm not a grub like that. I got within centimetres of his bumper at times but I wanted a clean fair race so I made sure I didn't hit him. A few laps in he makes a mistake on a corner and I overtake, I'm ahead for a few seconds but he catches up and nudges me from the side twice which slows me down enough for him to overtake and get ahead by a couple of seconds. I think, "Ok, this guy is gonna be dirty, nothing new, I'm having a fun exciting race so I'll leave it at that and try get the win fairly regardless of his dirty tactic". The rest of the race Iwas catching up but he was just out of reach, he won, I finished second, I was happy with that. The board at the end comes up and shows I was the only driver on the race to have a lowering of my SR, one incident to lower my SR and 8 Clean laps to raise my SR, the guy that nudged me and caused the SR incident had an increase in his SR, this doesn't make sense unless PD have stealthily changed something or I experienced a bug. Any ideas?

I just don't understand how they calculate the time penalties. Go to far over a chicane, even a short one in a wide slalom and it's anywhere from 2 to 9 secs? NINE FREAKIN SECONDS??? ....for a cut just a little too far in, that maybe shaved 0.100 off the turn??

I just don't understand how they calculate the time penalties. Go to far over a chicane, even a short one in a wide slalom and it's anywhere from 2 to 9 secs? NINE FREAKIN SECONDS??? ....for a cut just a little too far in, that maybe shaved 0.100 off the turn??

If you are cutting and making a pass/winning position its far more than just 0.1xxx.Either way,its always more that 0.1xxx when you cut track (especially if you are doing it on purpuse that is).

If you are cutting and making a pass/winning position its far more than just 0.1xxx.Either way,its always more that 0.1xxx when you cut track (especially if you are doing it on purpuse that is).

Well, that may be, but it sure as hell aint 9 seconds.

Well, that may be, but it sure as hell aint 9 seconds.

So whats your point?
When you ramm someone you dont win 10 sec but if the penalty system works well,you'll get 10 sec penalty.
The penalty is not equal to the time gained.

So whats your point?
When you ramm someone you dont win 10 sec but if the penalty system works well,you'll get 10 sec penalty.
The penalty is not equal to the time gained.

I didn't touch anybody or make contact with anything but the grass and chicane. The point is you can go to that turn cut the exact same way over and over and the penalty will vary seemingly randomly from a reasonable 2secs all the way to 9 or higher. It was +7 for me in this case.

I didn't touch anybody or make contact with anything but the grass and chicane. The point is you can go to that turn cut the exact same way over and over and the penalty will vary seemingly randomly from a reasonable 2secs all the way to 9 or higher. It was +7 for me in this case.

Propably it depends on speed,if you are hitting your breaks in order to slow down (or still accelarating) ot lift-off.
Or it could be "random" (that is the bad scenario).

I think it also depends if you're in a normal sport mode or one of the championship seasons. I just got slapped with 25 seconds of penalties in the space of a few seconds because of ramming F wits in a season race thinking they were playing pinball, I've been in similar incidents in Sport mode and never been penalised that much.

Propably it depends on speed,if you are hitting your breaks in order to slow down (or still accelarating) ot lift-off.
Or it could be "random" (that is the bad scenario).

That's what I'd like to figure out. You'd think they'd be specific and precise with the penalties... like RL racing.

Yep, definitely staying away from the championships until they sort this mess of an SR system out. Got slapped with 26 seconds of penalties on top of being brought to a halt sideways due to dirty drivers spinning me out on corners by not hitting the rear of my car directly but the inside of the rear (which seems to be the exploitable spot) and they got nothing, the system is f%$@ed.

Appologies if already asked,but if you are given a penalty to slow down for a given time,what is an acceptabel speed to slow down to?Or have i totally mis-understood this?

Andy

HOLY SH$&! To top it off I went from a SR B to E in that last race! Either this is a bug or the system is completely messed up! I get rammed and my SR goes down from B to E in one race?! This is crazy! If PD want people to play their game for much longer something needs to change, the championships is one less part of the game I'll be touching until this mess of a system is fixed lol.

HOLY SH$&! To top it off I went from a SR B to E in that last race! Either this is a bug or the system is completely messed up! I get rammed and my SR goes down from B to E in one race?! This is crazy! If PD want people to play their game for much longer something needs to change, the championships is one less part of the game I'll be touching until this mess of a system is fixed lol.

i would guess that is possible to drop that much but what happend in order for that to happen?
It must have been the "best demolution derby" recorded in GTS ever.

Sport mode is just an exercise in frustration.​

That first turn is brutal. Especially in the One Make races. Everybody is driving the exact same car, yet some people think they are gonna gain positions on the 1st turn of the 1st lap. Used to drive me nuts. Now it just makes me laugh.

i would guess that is possible to drop that much but what happend in order for that to happen?
It must have been the "best demolution derby" recorded in GTS ever.
I got nudged and spun out by a car then another 2 or 3 cars behind him all hit me on the way through plus it counted as me cutting the track because I got knocked out of control. Now only 3 races later I'm back up to a B, either it was a glitch or its too easy to fluctuate in SR making the Sr system worthless at the moment anyway.

Latest Posts

Back