The penalty system thread

• Thread starter JacoJa
  • 100 comments
I got nudged and spun out by a car then another 2 or 3 cars behind him all hit me on the way through plus it counted as me cutting the track because I got knocked out of control. Now only 3 races later I'm back up to a B, either it was a glitch or its too easy to fluctuate in SR making the Sr system worthless at the moment anyway.

I've noticed its much easier to climb SR in the longer races.
Not only do you get more SR ticks, but in general you will eventually find some space and get some clean air for an extended period of time.
I went from SR:B to SR:A in a one make race, then did my first FIA cup race on Sunday night and immediately went to SR:S

Having and keeping an SR:S in 3 lap races is drastically harder unless you're either constantly qualifying #1 and never being challenged, or you just drive at the back.

I didn't touch anybody or make contact with anything but the grass and chicane. The point is you can go to that turn cut the exact same way over and over and the penalty will vary seemingly randomly from a reasonable 2secs all the way to 9 or higher. It was +7 for me in this case.

The whole purpose of a penalty system is to discourage a certain behavior and in this scenario it is cutting the track. Sure you may not have gained but .3 tenths of a second by cutting that corner than by not cutting it but if it allowed you to gain on a car ahead of you due to that driver obeying the track rules or get some breathing room from a car behind you not allowing that driver to attempt a pass in an upcoming corner then that .3 tenths of a second you gained can be worth maybe the difference in a couple of positions at races end.

Easy enough not to pick up a penalty is to obey the rules of the game, stay within the tracks allowable borders at a cost of a couple of tenths on the lap time and not get a 2-10 second penalty assessed within the race. Not really a hard concept to understand.

I am just hoping that the penalty system will be adjusted to eliminate penalty time to be scrubbed off during the race and all penalties to be assessed post race to time and finishing positions.

Sadly got a harsh penalty today during the nations race, which ruined the fun early on. A GTR tried to overtake me on a narrow section which made me bounce into him so hard that I drove into the wall, and later got a 10 sec penalty. Don't know what to make of the situation really, so I'll just show it. I'm in the blue and yellow TTS.

Incident 1: I follow the general racing line, as you can see in the picture by looking at the cars ahead. I notice that the GTR is coming at a higher speed than me but not enough to squeeze through. His front wheels does not reach ahead of my back axel when we start to go into the corner so I try to close the gap and turn to the apex. He still insists on making the attack which makes him crash into my side, as expected.

UZ8c.jpg

Incident 2: This is the tricky situation that got me the penalty. I'm surprised that he actually managed to push me aside to get through. I knew at this point that he was right beside me and I could feel that he was trying to wrestle me by using the center of the track. I let him get so far to the left in order to avoid more collision. The moment that catches me by surprise however is when he doesn't start to turn into the apex. He just drives on in almost a straight line, as seen in the picture below. He could of course turn in later, but this is not what happened either. I had no intentions of hitting him but I was expecting us both to start to move into the corner, ultimately avoiding a collision. Sadly this did not happen and I got a harsh penalty for what occurred. I drew the lines in the picture to illustrate how I thought it was going to play out.

YZ8c.jpg

And here's the video showing it in motion:

Not only do you get more SR ticks, but in general you will eventually find some space and get some clean air for an extended period of time.
I went from SR:B to SR:A in a one make race, then did my first FIA cup race on Sunday night and immediately went to SR:S

Having and keeping an SR:S in 3 lap races is drastically harder unless you're either constantly qualifying #1 and never being challenged, or you just drive at the back.
Yep, way too easy to increase SR, this is why there are still plenty of dirty drivers in the higher ranks which there shouldn't be. I found keeping Sr S quite easy, the only reason I lost mine is because I let the other dirty drivers get the better of me and got revenge on them lol.

There is no doubt that the penalty system needs work along with the SR ratings need to be tweaked.

The penalty system needs to totally eliminate the practice of scrubbing off penalties within game other than perhaps allowing a one time stop and go pit stop with no other pit service allowed to eliminate up to a 10 second penalty and one negative SR violation. Otherwise all penalties accrued will be assessed to the final standings.

Just like corner cutting, take a track like Suzuka and a 10 lap race there are several corners you can cut for the first couple of laps and gain a pretty good time advantage as a result over those that race within the rules and the time penalties will eliminate themselves under the current application of penalties as there are enough slow speed corners to basically eliminate the penalties without much of a change to a normal driving pace.

I would say currently just from my own experiences that for every three times I have been passed on track that two of those passes have been from the result of contact by the overtaking car and not a clean pass and 1 pass has been clean and well set up by the overtaking driver. I respect the clean drivers overtake but it gets old getting punted off the track or racing line.

As far as SR if you contact another car from behind that results in you gaining a position as a result you should not only get a 10 second penalty assessed at race end but at the very best you should receive a white SR if the remainder of your race is 100% clean and any more incidents at all should result in a red SR with point deductions towards your ratings.

If you want penalties and rankings to mean anything then the penalty phase has to punish offenders of the rules at a much greater rate than the gains from committing the penalties and as far as SR if you want to be in the high ranks then your choices that result in negative SR need to carry a higher weighting to the rank scoring to discourage overly aggressive or gaming the system for advantages.

Any contact should be registered as a negative with the SR system even if allowed to a degree without a penalty time assessed. Then those that game the system to constantly advance position over time will find themselves racing within the lower SR rankings as a result and those that mainly race in a clean non contact manner will be rid of the dive bombers and intentional rammers within their ranks.

The system mostly as is has the right idea it just needs to be tweaked and adjusted to better target the offenders. Over the long run the system can reward the clean drivers over the dirty drivers.

This is why my SR is B now.

This happens to me quite a lot as well, and its very annoying to lose SR or even get a penalty when the other driver has effectively used me as a wall to get them round the corner. This guy in a race at Interlagos today kept trying to emulate Daniel Ricciardo but with none of the skill and he didn't get penalised at all, despite using my car for leverage in turn 1 several times...

Correct mate, I've discussed this many times in previous posts and this is exactly why the SR system is broken, it shouldn't be that easy to increase SR regardless of race type or length, that only allows the dirty drivers to be mixed in with the clean drivers if they can still hit other racers multiple times in a race but make up for it in the same race with clean sectors due to the lack of other players near them. This shouldn't be an option in SR S or even A for that matter. The reason its harder to hold SR S in 3 lap races is because there's a mad rush for to move up a place because the race is so short so people drive aggressively and use dirty/illegal tactics, another thing that shouldn't be allowed to happen in the higher SR classes.
I have been SR S for most of my time in GTS but I don't care about reaching or holding SR S while the system is broken as the same things happen in the higher SR classes just in a more sneaky and tactical way, I care about clean racing without intentional collisions, even if clean racing happened as soon as you got out of SR E then I wouldn't care less about progressing SR once I was in clean, intentional-incident-free races.

Latest Posts

Back