The Photography Thread

• Thread starter CDailey
  • 3,605 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent/wasted quite a bit of time getting this shot, C&C would be much appreciated :)

TLHDR.jpg

I think its a pretty good shot. Pretty even lighting and good composition. It would definitely be a lot better without that other car in the background though.

Looks like you lost some quality in the sky and the headlight beam, which takes away from the overall quality of the shot, but there isn't much you can do to prevent that other than maybe shooting lower ISO. Tilt is a little too sharp for my preferences too.

Night shots with no additional lighting is tough to pull off in regards to the colour spectrum. There is so much outside light, from the purple sky, the orange tungsten and whatever else is added to the pallet, in this case the car's lights and the trees, that you end up with a mishmash of colour which is hard to deal with. This is what detracts from this photo the most, at least for me.

Try to find a different backdrop as well. Parking lot shoots can be done so that they don't look like a car in a parking lot, but your background doesn't really make the shot different enough from what you'd see in on any other day or night. I'm also just starting to get into automotive photography specifically, and I've found that the key is to capture the car in a way that the common viewer wouldn't really see if they were walking in that parking lot on that night. I know there is a lot out of your control, but then use what you have to try to capture the car in a different way that you'd otherwise notice. I hope this makes a little sense, because to me, your shot doesn't look very different than if I'd go outside to the parking lot down the street and watch a TL pull into a vacant spot.

====

I've added a link to a Flickr page in my signature that I just made with some of my more recent car photos that I'll try to update as I shoot them.

Ok so something rather unexpected happened this morning.

I was woken by the postman again and had to get up to take a package, it could have been one of four things, 3 of which would still take at least another week to arrive. I was fairly certain it was the Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm f1.7 i'd been waiting for. Soon i was to discover this was not the case!

I opened it up to find this:
img3566jw1.jpg

Not too untoward, i bought the zeiss without a box, so perhaps the seller only had this one handy....again, wrong!
img3567af4.jpg

There was actually a BNIB EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM in there!

img3571bx6.jpg

For those of you that dont know this lens costs upwards of £300, i hadn't bought it, i had not paid for it, i dont know who sent it, and i cant return it (not enough info on return address). I guess all i can do is hang onto it until someone realises thier mistake. But damn! some mistake huh?

img3575xv0.jpg

img3577es0.jpg

BTW, these shots were taken with my 17-85mm IS USM and Speedlite 430EX

ooops, i knew i sent that to the wrong person....guess i will pm you all my info..... :)

Check your credit card bills and everything anyway. They may have charged you and you don't know about it.

But, anyway, if you need a return address I can give you mine.

Which of the following two crops is better? I think I like the landscape shot better than the full building.

106-10.jpg

-or-

109-3.jpg

A couple steps over that seems to work more than I thought the few degrees would.

112-2.jpg

Other side.

101-19.jpg

Ten thousand frames!!!

110-4.jpg

Ok so something rather unexpected happened this morning.

I was woken by the postman again and had to get up to take a package, it could have been one of four things, 3 of which would still take at least another week to arrive. I was fairly certain it was the Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm f1.7 i'd been waiting for. Soon i was to discover this was not the case!

I opened it up to find this:
img3566jw1.jpg

Not too untoward, i bought the zeiss without a box, so perhaps the seller only had this one handy....again, wrong!
img3567af4.jpg

There was actually a BNIB EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM in there!

img3571bx6.jpg

For those of you that dont know this lens costs upwards of £300, i hadn't bought it, i had not paid for it, i dont know who sent it, and i cant return it (not enough info on return address). I guess all i can do is hang onto it until someone realises thier mistake. But damn! some mistake huh?

img3575xv0.jpg

img3577es0.jpg

BTW, these shots were taken with my 17-85mm IS USM and Speedlite 430EX

Oh, go to hell dude. I sooo want one of those (I need it really, I have a really bad pulse) and I've been trying to buy one for a long time, but money just slips off my hands. I dont know if that or a car rig.

awesome lens, would you sell it to me if the mistake doesn't fix itself? of course, if it works, what if it's broken? you could find out, but if it does, IM INTERESTED!!!

Oh, go to hell dude. I sooo want one of those (I need it really, I have a really bad pulse) and I've been trying to buy one for a long time, but money just slips off my hands. I dont know if that or a car rig.

awesome lens, would you sell it to me if the mistake doesn't fix itself? of course, if it works, what if it's broken? you could find out, but if it does, IM INTERESTED!!!

Heh, yeah i got real lucky, it works perfectly, pretty much BNIB. Im still waiting for someone to come forward and say something, knowing my luck it'll happen, but if not in the next 4 days i'll be keeping it.

Sorry Cano, i was actually trying to save up £100 for the 75-300 IS USM, but this is even better, im almost temped to sell it so i can afford a sigma 10-20mm, wanted one of those for some time now too.

I'll wait until at least after i've been to santa pod in july (25th-27th), im pretty sure i'll use it there, then maybe if im not using it as much as i'd thought i would i'll let you know, dont worry if i am gonna sell it you'll be the first to know about it. ;)

Just out of curiosity, how much would you be willing to part for it, considering its a BIN jobbie of £300 GBP on ebay (6,122.60 MXN apparently)?

F1GTR, what are you using as a backdrop for the photos because it almost looks studio like. Personally when I do photo shoots like that with my models using a large reel of paper which acts nicely as a backdrop, did you use a backdrop or did you photoshop the car out into a plain white backround and just edit the shadow in? Also did you use any extra lighting to help?

Oh and BTW that last shot rocks.

Thanks, I just used three sheets of A3 paper, in Photoshop I simply dodge all the texture out so the background is nice and even. I only used natural light for this and a polariser, though ideally I'd have a black background with an external flash that would be reflected around the car.

Thanks, I just used three sheets of A3 paper, in Photoshop I simply dodge all the texture out so the background is nice and even. I only used natural light for this and a polariser, though ideally I'd have a black background with an external flash that would be reflected around the car.

Awesome, did you curve the paper so then there were not straight edges to edit out? I never thought of dodging the texture out, a pretty smart idea really. 👍

However, you know when you see those photo studio shoots with a plain white backround in magazines and stuff, basically the general way they do this is they go around the object with pathes and then copy and paste it into a new layer then fill the backround layer with white, black and sometimes even a gradient. You must excuse me if it seems like I'm acting like a a know it all, I'm not I'm just passing on some of knowledge I picked up at my work experience during the past week.

The way you have done it is effective and works which is the most important thing, and you've done it with a awesome camera. Unlike mine...

Awesome, did you curve the paper so then there were not straight edges to edit out? I never thought of dodging the texture out, a pretty smart idea really. 👍

However, you know when you see those photo studio shoots with a plain white backround in magazines and stuff, basically the general way they do this is they go around the object with pathes and then copy and paste it into a new layer then fill the backround layer with white, black and sometimes even a gradient. You must excuse me if it seems like I'm acting like a a know it all, I'm not I'm just passing on some of knowledge I picked up at my work experience during the past week.

The way you have done it is effective and works which is the most important thing, and you've done it with a awesome camera. Unlike mine...

The paper did curve, it also helped to even out the lighting slightly. I'll try that cut+paste method you mentioned, it'll save me from buying different BGs... And my camera isn't THAT awesome (lusts after D300). :lol:

The paper did curve, it also helped to even out the lighting slightly. I'll try that cut+paste method you mentioned, it'll save me from buying different BGs... And my camera isn't THAT awesome (lusts after D300). :lol:

Hope it helps personally 👍 Also your camera is awesome, well awesome compared to my Fuji Finepix F40fd...Which yes I know, I should have got the F31fd...It was simply what I could afford at the time. :crazy:

I've taken over 8gb worth of pics today so i will try and get some sorted and posted tonight. nice shots guys i must admit i sometimes come here and your shots make me really want to get out and about, I haven't got any new kit since last time so all shots will be a bit sucky but ahh what am i going to do. :)

Well here are the best of the bunch, there are a load of stuff I could have posted but they are a little dull, just spuggies (sparrows) and other birds in the garden. C&C always welcome.

First up, a bunch of shots taken of the various plants and flowers around the garden, some have had sharpening to make the grain of the pics come out a bit more and a small border with just the exposure and colours tweaked a bit, I know the colours are going to be a bit unrealistic, but realism isnt what I was going for, I like coulorfull and strong DOF.

Next shot is the closest I've got to capturing a bid in flight, I know its all out of focus, but It's neat anyway I just need some quicker reflexes and kit.

in_flight.jpg

Now I live in a place where wildlife always shows up when you least expect it, but last night we were out in the garden talking and this fellow showed up and came close to us (I was literally inches away without him/her bothering to scarper) so I took some shots, these were the best two, it was quite dark so I had to use the flash.

And last but not least my dog, we have just had to have one of our dogs put down due to him having Liver failure and diabetes. She has ages so much since he has been gone, but she is still a nutter and love running around like a freak.

lulu.jpg

Heh, yeah i got real lucky, it works perfectly, pretty much BNIB. Im still waiting for someone to come forward and say something, knowing my luck it'll happen, but if not in the next 4 days i'll be keeping it.

Sorry Cano, i was actually trying to save up £100 for the 75-300 IS USM, but this is even better, im almost temped to sell it so i can afford a sigma 10-20mm, wanted one of those for some time now too.

I'll wait until at least after i've been to santa pod in july (25th-27th), im pretty sure i'll use it there, then maybe if im not using it as much as i'd thought i would i'll let you know, dont worry if i am gonna sell it you'll be the first to know about it. ;)

Just out of curiosity, how much would you be willing to part for it, considering its a BIN jobbie of £300 GBP on ebay (6,122.60 MXN apparently)?

well I don't know, I'd also like to save some money, hahaha

It depends on how economy is when you make it available, I know I'd get it cheaper than the 6K mexican pesos you quoted, but I dont even remember how much was it the last time I considered it.

I have an unstabilized one and it works great even with my bad pulse, I've shot a lot of track days with that and its a charm.

Some great pics guys!

This was just a point and shoot out of a taxi window in a tunnel doing about 40mph and in low light with no flash and shot with a Canon compact. I don't have any idea how it came out so well...

mer_sclass.jpg

Same evening, I took this one while hiding from the torrential rain in a wall recess. I used 'colour accent' on the yellow tones. Shame the car wasn't better!

toy_harrier_00a.jpg

Great pic of the S class Rue. Its almost Mercedes advertisement worthy :dopey:

Here is a pic of a friend's IS i shot over the weekend. Just a random shot, not too much planning involved. Personally, i think the trailer on the left ruined the pic, but it was out of my control at the time

DSC_0600.jpg

Went to a fashion show to support some of my friends who were exhibiting work there, decided to fire off a few shots on the catwalk. You'll have to excuse the noise in these, the camera was set to ISO800 to compensate for the lighting effects! I'll post more of these, these aren't generally the best ones, just the perviest. :P I was also a little bit restricted when it came to seating locations. :(

grad4dv0.jpg

grad5oy9.jpg

grad6so5.jpg

grad7yt5.jpg

grad8pi5.jpg

grad9tu4.jpg

grad10vg1.jpg

grad11kp0.jpg

grad12mw3.jpg

grad13zn7.jpg

grad14mh3.jpg

and this pulled up where I was sat. I didn't have to move an inch to get this shot! :D
bentleypk9.jpg

Wow, some nice shots there.

Is the flaring on the second-to-last one from PS, or did it capture like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back