The Pink Floyd Sound Discussion ThreadMusic 

• Thread starter Event
  • 101 comments
Reviving this old rusty thread to say that I'm a good fan of Pink Floyd, and so that any more recent members like Floyd. At the moment I'm listening to 'The Wall' album.

Edit: 'If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!!!!'

Last edited:
I listen to the Wall most mornings on my way to work!

I was lucky enough to see Roger Waters last May in London. Good show. I'm hoping there'll be a concert DVD or better still a Blu-ray version.

Gotta love Pink Floyd! My favorite songs are:

The Great Gig In The Sky
Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun
Money
Keep Talking
Sorrow
Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Another Brick In The Wall
Wish You Were Here

As my dad put it, "Never have I heard a guitarist who could tell a story with his hands".

Long live Pink Floyd!

Couldnt of been said better.

My absolute FAVORITE band EVER.

My favorite Album is 1994's The Division Bell.

Marooned just makes me feel... That. Marooned. i feel as though im on a deserted island and David is taking me there with his guitar. ive been known to close my eyes and just imagine the palm trees and crystal blue waters. ugh

now i need to turn off the tv and Floyd it up.

damn you!

hehe

Im also a HUGE fan of the albatross.....

Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air
And deep beneath the rolling waves
In labyrinths of coral caves
The echo of a distant time
Comes willowing across the sand
And everything is green and submarine

*swoon*

i would pay 300 bucks for a ticket to the nosebleed sections

Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun, Mr. Wright.

*removes hat* everyone remove your hats. and hang your head in a moment of silence.

Rest in Peace Richard Wright. We will miss you. You lost the battle to cancer. and i commend you for fighting all these years. We will miss your Piano/keyboard styling of PF.

I just found out today.

tonight i shall have a drink. in your memory.

One of my favorite Floyd songs is The Great Gig in the Sky. I have a documentary on the making of The Dark Side of the Moon where Wright talks about how he came up with the melody for this song. If I remember correctly he was inspired by a Miles Davis album.

I was saddened to hear of the death of Richard Wright. So much of Pink Floyds sound relied upon his skill and deft touch on keyboards. Dark Side of the Moon would sound a lot different without him, as would Wish You Were Here. And it was always a pleasure to see him performing live on those handful of occasions when I saw Pink Floyd live.
He will be missed.

I need more Floyd . between Records and CD's i own most of the collection, no singles or anything but. damn i need more.

Rest in peace Rick.

It was kind of strange. Me and my dad was listening to music the other day, and suddenly he showed me one of Rick's solo albums and we started to listen to it. The day after he told me that Richard Wright was dead (he past away the day before when we sat listening to him).

I don't where to start after reading all of the previous posts :crazy: , all I can say is check my nickname :dopey:

My 1st favorite album is The Division Bell

2nd is Animals specially Dogs, which has a nice story. I started listening to Pink Floyd when I was 6 :dunce: through spending time with my uncle and not only them, Zepplin, Black Sabath, Iron Maiden, The Doors, The Beatles, Metallica and many more, but Dogs remained special as one night I woke up on the sound of dogs barking and I thought it was down the street but it was the music and time passed and I grew up and started listening to my own music and one day BOOM!! I came across Dogs and all of the memories came rushing back....I remembered why I'm listening to every band off the above, coz that's what I was raised listening to, and there was this unclear memory of some cartoon movie, or movies!!! which was cleared to be The Wall - Pink Floyd & Yellow Submarine - The Beatles

3rd is Dark Side of The Moon.

And my all time favorite track is MAROONED....

Great write up all, and I'm glad to find such fans around here at our planet :D
:cheers: all

In my opinion Pink Floyd are one of the finest and most creative bands of all time.

David Gilmour is a guitar genius. His tones are like nothing I've ever experienced.
It was David Gilmour that got me playing guitar 25+ years ago and I still enjoy trying to emulate him now!

His theory of the guitar solo is why play 200 notes when you can say even more with 3!
Fantastic!

I did try covering, probably their most well known song, several years ago, and although I haven't got any where near the correct tones, I had a great deal of fun trying.

If anyone would like to listen and leave their thoughts it would be very much appreciated.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6052516

R.I.P Richard Wright

Wow nifty, that was absolutely fantastic! 👍

I have started to listen to the Floyd very much as of lately. Started listening at an age of 8, but it comes and goes. I myself have a Mexican Strat and I play Breathe a TON. Whenever I'm driving the car I pop in the DSOTM cd and enjoy it. For me, the most beautiful peice of music ever made is the transition between the parts Time - Breathe Reprise in the Time song. I just go into a whole other state of mind when David plays that 0-2-2(4)-0-0-0 combo on his Strat with the bcking vocals, just genial work! 👍

Momentary Lapse of Reason and Division Bell FTW!

I've only recentley (last 12 months) got into Pink Floyd, I've always been aware of their stuff, I work in a HiFi shop and Division Bell used to be one of the popular dem CD's, I hated listening to it all the time, same tracks, same bit's over and over again.. so I got really sick of it. Last summer I stumbled across an old tape which had 'Learning to Fly' on it, which is a great tune, and also 'High Hopes' which is a fantastic song, so I eventually (recentley) bought Division Bell (which I now love) and Momentary Lapse of Reason.

I love the sound of the later stuff, although there were some stand out tracks on the earlier albums, there's alot of stuff I don't like.

I saw Gilmour play earlier this year in London as he was doing a charity gig with Amadou and Mariam (who I'd never heard of) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yexpFQfp3x0&feature=related , they didn't play Floyd stuff but it was a rare opportunity to experience Gilmour first hand, so I couldn't pass it up.

Discovered this little clip of Pink Floyd playing "Any colour you like" live in the early '70s. The video itself is not from the song itself, but just a slide of images to fill the song. Unfortunately the song is not complete. Press play, lean back, close your eyes, and drift off:

Since ~1975 (can't remember exact year (wonder why?)), for over 34 years Pink Floyd has been one of my rotating top 3 favorite bands of all time. There is no way for me to choose one favorite album or song. Words just can't decribe their brilliance at all levels.

To me, they are to rock what Ludwig Van Beethoven is to classical music.

Dark Side Of The Moon holds the all time record (EW) for the longest consecutive album on the Billboard charts: 741 weeks. Thats 14 years, 3.8 months. Consectutively! The number two record holder is 400-something weeks!

Also, in 2006 Contact Music reported that DSOTM set the record for most cumulative amount of weeks on the charts: 1500 weeks. That would be 28.8 years, probably longer than most who are reading this have been alive. ;)

If you have not seen "The Making of The Dark Side of the Moon" DVD, I HIGHLY recomend it, fantastic extra stuff incuded.

And if you want to have some fun, check into the Wizard of Oz rumors!

Keeping this thread alive with yet another piece of live performance. This time it's the band playing live in Pompei:

*EDIT* Nevermind, posted the same video on page 3 :lol:

Just wanted to say, if any of you haven't seen (David Gilmour - Remember That Night) you've too :D

:Cheers: mates

Just wanted to say, if any of you haven't seen (David Gilmour - Remember That Night) you've too :D

:Cheers: mates

So funny you posted this...I just was loaned this DVD by my brother and started watching it two nights ago. Amazing stuff.

Pink Floyd have successfully sued their record label, EMI, for selling individual tracks online without their permission. (Article) Perhaps more than most other groups, several of Pink Floyd's albums are arguably best experienced as a whole rather than track by track, but then again, I'm not sure this case is as much about preserving the integrity of the album (and therefore the sound/experience of the band) as it might be about maximising profits from the sale of their material (by forcing people to buy whole albums, rather than being able to buy individual tracks). As such, while I think that the artists should have the final say as to how their material is sold, I'm not sure this is a great decision for the consumer.

The band’s name “Pink Floyd” has always stood out as being unique. The lyrics from Have a Cigar give reference to the probable question they may have often heard early on: “Oh by the way, which one’s Pink

Did you know there actually was a “Pink”? His name was Pink Anderson, born “Pinkney Anderson” in Lauren, South Carolina, USA, February 12, 1900 (read about Pink here). And the name Floyd comes from Floyd Council, born in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA, September 11, 1911 (read about Floyd here). Both were blues musicians.

Apparently Sid Barrett owned some of their albums and derived the legendary Pink Floyd name from them.

From Wiki:
“With the Tea Set lacking the vocals of Noble and Metcalfe, Klose introduced them to Chris Dennis, a technician with the Royal Air Force. During Dennis' tenure, the Tea Set acquired an alternative name—the Pink Floyd Sound. Derived from the given names of two blues musicians that Barrett had in his record collection—Pink Anderson and Floyd Council, Barrett created it on the spur of the moment, when he discovered that another band, also named the Tea Set, were to perform at one of their gigs.”

“Syd Barrett, of English progressive rock band, Pink Floyd, came up with the band's name by juxtaposing the first names of Anderson and North Carolina bluesman, Floyd Council. Barrett noticed the names in the liner notes of a 1962 Blind Boy Fuller album”

I’ve always found it interesting, living and working here in the Carolinas that the “Pink Floyd” name actually originated from here. I downloaded a Pink Anderson MP3 album “Pink Anderson: Carolina Medicine Show Hokum and Blues with Baby Tate”(1961,1962) (see here at Amazon), which I surprisingly found very entertaining. The rendition of “He’s In The Jail House Now”, a classic song that appeared in the movie “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” contains lyrics you won’t hear elsewhere due to today’s fear of political correctness. The music reminds me of several of Pink Floyd bluesy songs, Seamus comes to mind.

I was also able to obtain some Floyd Council music from “Carolina Blues (1937-1947)” (available here). You can hear the samples of both, or purchase them if you like at Amazon.

51b0jIfqZjL._SS500_.jpg

61pHTdIz6OL._SS500_.jpg

For about the last month I have been listening to alot more Floyd than usual. I'm currently listening to The Wall front to back. Amazing how different it is after you have seen the movie.

Oh, and you can't have any pudding unless you eat your meat!!!!!

Roger Waters will be performing The Wall in North America this September. It seems to be a full production similar to the 1980-81 shows but somewhat more advanced in terms of film projection, lighting and props (looks like the puppets will be back). Details here - www.billboard.com
More info here You can also follow news on the Tour on Facebook.
It'll probably be Waters' last live performances (he's getting on a bit - 67 this year I think) and possibly the last time you'll see a member of Pink Floyd on a full tour. Should be coming to Europe in March next year.
I never had the chance to see The Wall live when it was played in the UK, but I saw it in Berlin in 1990. I'm going to see this for certain.

Back