The reason why cars should be detuneable is...

  • Thread starter Thread starter Darkpitiless
  • 82 comments
  • 5,440 views
I am not advocating engine swaps in GT. I was just expressing my opinions regarding the upgrade model in FM3 and GT. I know that GT has a tendency to go its own way disregarding what other games do and this does at least make the series unique.

I have no idea what the maximum size of the garage in GT5 is, but I have a tendency toward the Pokemon mentality when it comes to GT games... in that I have to get them all (I did that in FM3 and it took rather a long time and I did end up with duplicates along the way). In the situation where I have an irreversibly tuned car and need to buy a stock one also, I hope I do not reach a point where I have a few cars to buy and no space in the garage to put them. They have the money limit (already well discussed) at the maximum value of a car, so I would not put it past PD to have a limit on the garage (I hope it isn't at the Trophy point) as that would leave me a little "unimpressed". All down to the irreversible changes if the maximum size is the number of cars in game.
 
PD treats online like a sideshow, it's a bit ridiculous.

It should be like this:

No permanent tunes, everything should be removable.

Ability to detune cars. (Weight, power, aero, etc)

No maintenance/fluctuating horsepower, it's just a nuisance.

All tuning parts should be available online, even if you didn't buy them. At the very least, tires need to be this way,

PERFORMANCE POINTS

Car class rules (Super GT, ALMS GT1, etc)

Aero/suspension, drivetrain, etc rules [wings allowed, no wings, etc]

All cars unlocked

If PD won't do the above for whatever reason, then garage sharing. When I tried to use the option to limit car choice to those from the garage, I thought it would make it so that people would only be able to use car I select from my garage, but it was from the recommended list, which makes it useless. Besides limiting the cars to what I have in my garage, I should also let people be able to drive my cars even if they don't have them.

I'm sure there is more to list.
This would solve a lot of our problems. Here's one scenario... I have to keep some of my gt500 cars stock and never drive them other than online. See they are around 470hp stock and if you oil change them and turn some miles in tuning you can easily push the 510hp mark. But that makes it so I can't get into online rooms under 500hp. So now I have to keep a fleet of the same car.
 
If you increase the bore of an engine, or polish the ports, things like that will increase power and there is no way to revert it.
 
Im FM2 I always kept a bunch of modified cars with different tunes for specific lobbies and/or tracks.

I had a couple of Minis, Astras, Mugens, etc, all built either to spec or to suite the track. No single car/tune/build suits every purpose, I remember having three MR2s, one for speed, one for grip and one for Mugello/Silverstone. And that was only for B-Class ;)

So, especially without the ability to save different setups and for ease of use in competitive online racing, duplicate cars are rather handy in my view. But it's still early days and let's find out what updates PD throws at us.

Yep, very well said! :)

I do it pretty similar to you and really don't mind having one race RX-7, one stock and one drift. 3 in total, but i found it rather handy to have them separate on different cars.
The drift car for example will get much more in the redline area with the engine, needs alot more upgrades,...
It's even very nice to follow the progress and run in periods on the three cars.

I even did this in gt4, but don't tell anyone, they would call me out for being nutter...:sly:
 
- Allows you to drive stock cars again once you have beaten the hell out of the a and b-specs (which you are FORCED to do since you cannot win untuned)
What ? Can't win untuned? I have not found a race yet that I could not win easily just by putting tires on the car much less a race exhaust, and turbo which can be removed at will. Just use your head and do not max the cars out if you want to drive them later as stock setups. There is no need in GT life to max out anything.
 
A more pressing factor is, who knows what events, limitation PD plan on implementing in future patches.
It's not nice having 3 zondas just to cover the bases.

Actually that is exactly what I have - onsiderign we cant save setuos per cars per track, I have multiples of many cars.

Hell I have 4 Lotii 111R's. One stok, one lightly tuned with no engine mods, I radically tuned to stage 3 evrything amd one RM'ed ;)

GT5 is akk about the Benjami... I mean all about the cars and driving them. I love driving stock, semi-stock and lightly tuned cars - these are the cars I am most likely to try out/come across in my real life, so these are the ones I spend most of my time around.
 
Some of the more restrictive events require Bob to drive pretty much a maxxed out car to stand any chance of victory either that or spend a stupid amount of money on the fastest car for the series and put removable mods only on it (not always an option depending on your resources). An Enzo with all removable mods would probably win the Ferrari race, but unless you have the odd 1 million plus lying in your game piggy bank then no chance... max the 458 (and buy another stock one later... when cash allows, which was my tactic admitedly).

Bob has admittedly been let loose in my stock 458 in other races where that is sufficient overkill!
 
What ? Can't win untuned? I have not found a race yet that I could not win easily just by putting tires on the car much less a race exhaust, and turbo which can be removed at will. Just use your head and do not max the cars out if you want to drive them later as stock setups. There is no need in GT life to max out anything.

Exactly, softs equal turbo and aero all rolled into one.
 
Exactly, softs equal turbo and aero all rolled into one.

lol soo correct there. so many events u can just buy the stock car, and throw some sport or racing softs and blast through the corners while the ai slows down.

The game is perfectly fine. If you don't like the uninstallable parts, simply don't install them. What fun is it to have 1000 cars all with 500+ hp? Besides, tuning alot of the cars removes some of the cars original personality and handling characteristics. Which can really ruin the fun of driving said car.
 
You should read the thread. Duplicates have already been mentioned 50 times. But it's still a nusance and waste of credits/time earning credits. You should also not settle for barely passable when good or exceptional is in reach.

I did read the thread, and how many times were duplicates talked about - twice..??

Maybe you should go buy an abacus - help you count better, 2 and 50 are rather different.

A nuisance and waste of credits - oh what, like buying cars for one race series and not using them again - how many times does that happen on this game??

What about having so many different types of the same car in this game, what's the difference between buying all the skylines, evo's, rx7's, zonda's etc etc or just finding a really good car you personally like and enjoy, and having different versions of that car i.e. modified and stock. How about those who will buy the same car but in all the different colours available??

People have duplicates for all sorts of different reasons, at least my reason for having duplicates is to overcome a fundamental issue in the game, not just for pretty colours.

Settling for barely passable when good or exceptional is in reach - yeah, so the majority of the people on the forum say you need at least two setups, but you are implying you know one exceptional setup - for all the tracks in this game..??

My setup is not barely pasable, it's actually very good, and my friends who I've lent cars to who have driven them on a variety of different tracks also think the same. I think that makes it more than just barely passable..

All I was trying to get across in my post was that we all know there are issue's with this version of GT5, why spend so much time complaining when you CAN physically can around these problems, with a bit of imagination and hard work.

This game was what 1 / 2 years late - how many bugs and problems have there been already, this forum is so good but too many people whinge and argue about solutions to these problems. OK, if we were Polyphony and this was their website, fair enough, they would know all about these solutions and some of them would be implemented, but it isn't, so they won't, so why bother..????

OK they are changing things via updates, but so what, even with the updates done so far, the game is no where near perfect still - and how many obvious, clever and common sense solutions has this website come with - hundreds or more?? How many have been implemented???

Be a realist, this is the situation, this is what we have to work with, lets find a solution out of this, what's real and what we've got in front of us, not what's in our imagination and isn't real.

This marketing 🤬 about the perfect game is rubbish, I work in marketing, marketing is the biggest load of hot air in the world.

If this was Kaz's idea of perfection, he'd been fired by now as this release of GT5 has done so much damage to the Gran Turismo brand.

Of course it will get better, it was so bad upon release you can't fail to make it better, but until that happens, deal with it and get around the problems with what you've got in front of you and not what's in your head.
 
Did anyone mention restrictor plates?

Simple device really, as it limits airflow into an engine. Everyone from Formula SAE karts to Le Mans racers has to use them and they're widely used in NASCAR to limit speeds.

So while you cannot unpolish or unport the cylinder heads, you can put a plate into the induction system to limit power. A slider giving you the option of how large/small the opening in millimeters while showing you the new power curve could work.

I would not like to see a 'weight rewards' or ballast system unless you can alter the F/R weight ratios of the car. That would be cool.

But until there's some sort of car classification system that factors in weight, power, & tire compound - we're probably on our own. I never really cared for the PP in Prologue while Forza has a good idea with their system, it's just poorly implemented and kinda ruins the game.

I'd rather have no PP-esque system than a bad one.
 
And yeah, can you tell me where can i find stage 2 engine overhaul for my beamer? They just don't exist on google.

Your Google must be broken.

Go to Dinan and order a Stage 2 Software Tune, Stage 2 Clutch Pack and a Stage 2 suspension set up. Just have your wallet ready :D

Lots of real live tuners bundle their upgrades into stages so that the less hard core owner can have an easier path to follow when modifying their cars.

As for the rest of the complaints, I don't really understand them. Yes I know that GT is just a game, but one of the things that sets it apart is the fact that it strives for realism (granted sometimes it is a little wide of the mark).

As has been stated in real life you can't simply unbalance or unbore an engine once it's been done. You'd have to replace all the parts back to stock which would cost almost as much as doing the upgrade in the first place.

I do wish that they would bring back the option of fine tuning the ECU and altering the turbo boost so that you could change the ultimate horsepower and power characteristics of a car.
 
A nuisance and waste of credits - oh what, like buying cars for one race series and not using them again - how many times does that happen on this game??
That's not related to anything I said.

Settling for barely passable when good or exceptional is in reach - yeah, so the majority of the people on the forum say you need at least two setups, but you are implying you know one exceptional setup - for all the tracks in this game..??
Even less related.

My setup is not barely pasable, it's actually very good, and my friends who I've lent cars to who have driven them on a variety of different tracks also think the same. I think that makes it more than just barely passable..
What's barely passable is the methods PD employed in GT5. There are better ways of doing things. There's no PP. You must buy 100,000 credits worth of tires for every car to be ready for online. HP changes as you drive so a car that you got to perfectly match regulations may soon become overblown and no longer elligable.

All I was trying to get across in my post was that we all know there are issue's with this version of GT5, why spend so much time complaining when you CAN physically can around these problems, with a bit of imagination and hard work.
All I was saying was that I know that there are issues, and I listed how I got around them. But you don't just accept that something is wrong when you can try to fix it. I don't settle for low quality. It's bad. I shouldn't need to buy 500 of the same car.

This game was what 1 / 2 years late - how many bugs and problems have there been already, this forum is so good but too many people whinge and argue about solutions to these problems. OK, if we were Polyphony and this was their website, fair enough, they would know all about these solutions and some of them would be implemented, but it isn't, so they won't, so why bother..????

OK they are changing things via updates, but so what, even with the updates done so far, the game is no where near perfect still - and how many obvious, clever and common sense solutions has this website come with - hundreds or more?? How many have been implemented???

Be a realist, this is the situation, this is what we have to work with, lets find a solution out of this, what's real and what we've got in front of us, not what's in our imagination and isn't real.

I'm the ultimate realist. Again, just because the chances of PD coming into this thread, reading my post, and nodding in agreement are cosmically small, it doesn't mean I shouldn't do it. What would the forum be if no one posted?
 
I think we need to be able to add restrictor plates or ECU mods to reduce power output, just to compensate for the ever-changing output of the engines thanks to simulated wear. I mean, how the heck am I supposed to get a NASCAR with the same 850 BHP as the others in the race? How can I get my McLaren F1 to match the AI's with 550 BHP? I gave up on the Focus seasonal event because my Focus went up to 222 BHP so I couldn't use it any more.
 
Should just charge you to put the stuff back on (weight reduction), but reasonable engine swaps should be doable, too (stock engine, etc). Would be a better "driving simulator" if you had to replace engines now and then through damage or mishap rather than just rebuilding them.
 
System is fine you just need to plan what you do.

It does not make sense in real life to detune a race car back to street quality/level. Specifically removing a roll cage and putting back leather seats.

My autocross Honda that now my wife uses for errands still has full adjustable suspension, no radio and no aircon.

And some engine mods cannot be reverted.
 
Well, I think GT does detunability in a realistic manner. You can always reconfigure an engine's computer to stock characteristics, for example. However, for something like the engine tuning that would do something like increasing displacement or port and polish (GT2, anyone? I want this back!) you can't just undo something like that. It's more or less permanent.

So it's actually very logical that you can't detune certain aspects. Unless you propose being able to add some form of engine retardation, which would be redundant since I could just reinstall a lesser grade exhaust, air filter, etc.
 
What fun is it to have 1000 cars all with 500+ hp? Besides, tuning alot of the cars removes some of the cars original personality and handling characteristics. Which can really ruin the fun of driving said car.

After I got to about 95-97% on GT4 and couldn't be bothered to finish the last few golds with my less than perfect dual-shock skills, I started collecting all the stock cars I could just for the hell of it.

It's much more fun discovering the subtle nuances and differences of stock street cars than having a dozen different LMPs whose sole defining characteristics are how long your tires will last in a race...

And then I started tuning cars, trying to work around their quirks. Then I started buying multiples to drive back-to-back. Then multiples of multiples. My GT4 garage when I left it was filled with dozens of half-done project cars in various states of tune.

Just like many real-life pistonhead garages.
 
detuning cars? Hmm. . . Idk. I can see that kinda but with limitations. I can see lightening the car being permanent, but alowing a weight ballast to ranges from the current weight to 50kg beyond the stock weight. Maybe restrictor plates too or something. Because with me. . . specialy in GT5P, I would reduce the amount of power in the Ford GT to about 400hp. Made it so much easier to drive. So, in some aspcects I can uderstand "detuning" a machine, but. . . maybe in some more realistic specs. . . or just have multiple engines for cars. So that way you can put permanent mods but still restore to stock. . . Though idk how that would apply to the shell. . . alternate body seems excessive realistically.
 
I love the "it's unrealistic to undo performance mods" topic.

How is it any less realistic than tuning your 1960s Corvette's ECU and removing it's catalytic converter?

And the entire point of ECU tuning is that it's tuning. You don't just magically tune your ECU for amazing power and then the ECU is locked that way for eternity. ECUs can also be tuned to offer rubbish performance a lot easier than they can be for improving performance (and often are by inexperienced tuners).

The restricter plate idea is probably the most realistic and easy to understand idea to come out of this thread so far. Which means PD will ignore it.
 
I love the "it's unrealistic to undo performance mods" topic.

How is it any less realistic than tuning your 1960s Corvette's ECU and removing it's catalytic converter?

And the entire point of ECU tuning is that it's tuning. You don't just magically tune your ECU for amazing power and then the ECU is locked that way for eternity. ECUs can also be tuned to offer rubbish performance a lot easier than they can be for improving performance (and often are by inexperienced tuners).

The restricter plate idea is probably the most realistic and easy to understand idea to come out of this thread so far. Which means PD will ignore it.

The cost of "ECU" in GT5 is for installing an aftermarket ECU. Something you can actually do for a 1960's Corvette quite easily.

I would be deliriously happy if they included realistic ECU-tuning in GT5... or any other video game, for that matter.
 
What ? Can't win untuned? I have not found a race yet that I could not win easily just by putting tires on the car much less a race exhaust, and turbo which can be removed at will. Just use your head and do not max the cars out if you want to drive them later as stock setups. There is no need in GT life to max out anything.

I have tried, but B-spec Bob refuses to win most races in anything less than a fully tuned (at least, every cheap part) car. Winning stock is almost impossible for him.
 
I have tried, but B-spec Bob refuses to win most races in anything less than a fully tuned (at least, every cheap part) car. Winning stock is almost impossible for him.

Depends - bone stock Focus in the FF beginner's I believe: thanks to my ingenius management skills, he stole the win from the Renault in the last corner.

Vitz race - bone stock latest Yaris, lost to the Turbo due to lack of straight line speed and came second. Again, very close race to the last corner.

My Bob's Level 9 btw, so yes, it can be done even without overpowering the competition. Looking forward to the higher class races :D
 
Back