The reign of the Beetle Gr.3

• Thread starter danardif1
  • 153 comments
United Kingdom
Didcot, Oxfordshire
danardif1
When will PD end this car's reign over Group 3? It invariably ends up being the top car on most tracks, and the top half of grids are almost exclusively populated by them from DR-B upwards.

They need to find a way of setting BoP on a much more regular basis or just finding a method of setting it properly from the get-go, because one car having a clear advantage is not fun for those who want to use others. I actively avoid the Beetle because I then almost use my own car choice as a statement of my skills, that any Beetles I beat are despite having a car disadvantage, but it'd be nice to not have to use one in order to compete for a win...

I don't think that's the one solution though. The standardised setups certainly have helped entrench the Beetle (and other cars below it, including the 911) as maybe the 'easiest' car to be really quick with, but its just fast outright in almost any player's hands, especially on tighter tracks where cars BoP has given a horsepower advantage can't use it.

You know what's worse? It's just that this car is a fantasy. It does not exist in reality.

By this logic, any car you modify/paint is also fantasy. I have friends with Race prepped First gen Rx-7's running homemade Body kits with mostly custom setups due to the lack of third-party support. Are their cars Fantasy? Sure it doesn't exist in real life, but if I had enough money and time im sure I could make one.

I dont recall seeing a beetle in the top 3 of a championship race tbh. See 5/6 each race, but normally driven by low skill players trying to find a way to compete. Its very stable, but no faster than anything else. So its easy to be consistent. Quite a lot of other faster cars though imo. With BOP on this is.

Not noticing the dominance really. Noticed people use it a lot but I've never felt they've had an advantage. (BoP on)

Yes, I've been using it for the first time lately and what I will say is it's probably an easier car to drive close to it's limit then most other Gr.3 cars that I've tried, so average people may well be faster with it but I think there is more potential in some of the other cars, it's just that they are tougher to drive near their limit.

Not being able to adjust anything is a pain. At least let us adjust the gear ratios as that seems to be the biggest deciding factor on what car is faster on what track imho.
The Merc is almost useless on most circuits and it is purely because of the gear ratios. Same reason why the 911 is so good on most tracks.

For some time people are complaining about this.
Same happened on Gr. 4, with GT-R, but that was corrected quickly.

I'm well aware i'm not a very skilled gamer and play with DS4, so usually don't bother to look to top10 times.
Also because of all dumb trolleys seem to think they are too good to slower cars and go to Gr. 3 races, I usually enjoy not so Destruction Derby gr. 4 or one make races. So, not so aware as others about the "Beetle Problem"

But, in the weekend, having just finished a custom livery on a Viper GT3, a gave it a go on Interlagos on the Daily Race.
Despite almost none experience with the Viper, and only two laps on qualifying, I qualified 5th, it was not the fastest bunch of boys on that race, I've to admit.

So, I was fifth, a dude on a M6 was fourth, 3 Beetles in the front and 2 right behind me.

With the start of the race I finally understood why people complain. The guy on the BMW was doing a pretty good job, clean lines, smooth, but was no match to the first two Beetles. The other one was all over the place, fighting just to keep the car on track, but still missing the apex, overshooting the braking points, was still fighting for third place. The Beetle starting in sixth passed me, partially because I tried to stay out of the way on the first corner (too many races ruined by being rammed on the first corner), he too was all over the place. I realized how annoying is to race this way. One thing is to race guys as good or better than you, other is watching they struggling just to keep the car on tarmac and still be faster than you, when you are having a pretty decent, error free race.

On the second lap, breaking to turn 4 (end of second straight Recta Oposta), the Beetle in fourth managed to tangle with the Beemer in third, I guess the other Beetle panicked and I managed to pass to fourth, with the Beetle that caused the mess in third, in front of me. On the next lap, entering to turn 6, by some reason, the Beetle one more time didn't brake on the right place, but managed to full brake and still hold it (in any other car he would simply understeer offtrack). Unfortunately for him, I was right behind him, couldn't avoid bumping him in the back. It was unintentional, I had nowhere to go, I went to finish third, no penalty was assessed.
The Beemer didn't managed to recover, although being a pretty decent car (the race had no tire wear), and the driver not bad at all.
So it was: Distant Beetle, Beetle, me, Bettle, Bettle, Beetle, Beemer.

I guess the first one was a pretty decent driver, has he finished 10 secs ahead of me and 8 secs ahead of second place Beetle, on a 4 lap race, but the guys I was fighting where all over the place, no idea of racing lines, etc. but still where keeping up, the only problem was they couldn't handle the fact they where racing against other guys.

I don't bother there are cars slightly better than others, but the Beetle thing is something completely different.

Not being able to adjust anything is a pain. At least let us adjust the gear ratios as that seems to be the biggest deciding factor on what car is faster on what track imho.
The Merc is almost useless on most circuits and it is purely because of the gear ratios. Same reason why the 911 is so good on most tracks.

This is what makes the Gr.4 McLaren so useless. It handles really well, but the gear ratios are so rubbish that cars will often pull away from me driving it even when I'm in their slipstream...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's a Beetle:yuck:

Honestly though, I don't find it all that dominant. I've still yet to drive it, for my reason above, but I've found the Beetles are really not all that much better than any selection of Gr3 cars. It mostly all comes down to driver.

I'll let everyone in on a little secret though, the Renault RS01 GT3 is a BEAST. Don't sleep on it.

Not noticing the dominance really. Noticed people use it a lot but I've never felt they've had an advantage. (BoP on)

Agreed. I've only seen one win a race once. Most of the people driving them seem to be the ramming type instead of the winning type. I understand that fast people use them to be fast but down here in the trenches Beetle guys are the punters. This is probably more noticeable because more people use them therefore based on sample size there would be more bad drivers, but still... I'm with the OP, I have one and wont use it because I dont want to be that guy lol

Not noticing the dominance myself.

Also remember that PD has data on every race results table run in GT Sport, ever.

They will just adjust BoP sooner or later if they determine one particular is ‘OP’, to use the proper meta parlance.

I got full on torpedoed by a beetle last night in the nurb Gr3 race. Guy made absolutely no attempt to brake he was clearly just trying to take out people. He was S for SR btw, he had a big red A at the end though. He took out me and two others and then quit.
I also got rammed into the wall by a beetle ( I posted a thread and video about that) so I have personal reasons to hate the beetle!

Last edited:
People complain about the flavour of the day.
I'm DR B and had no issues driving away from the field on dragons tail and maggiorre.
Dragons tail a vw started p2, and in maggiorre 4 911's and 2 beetles started behind me.

I'm driving for Mazda.

Finished first in both races, well clear of 2Nd place.

Sure the beetle is a little stronger right now, but lots of cars are competitive with it.

This is what makes the Gr.4 McLaren so useless. It handles really well, but the gear ratios are so rubbish that cars will often pull away from me driving it even when I'm in their slipstream...

^^ Agreed.

Agreed. I've only seen one win a race once. Most of the people driving them seem to be the ramming type instead of the winning type. I understand that fast people use them to be fast but down here in the trenches Beetle guys are the punters. This is probably more noticeable because more people use them therefore based on sample size there would be more bad drivers, but still... I'm with the OP, I have one and wont use it because I dont want to be that guy lol

In my Gr.3 races lastnight it was like a VW owners club. 9 Beetles and my 911 in the top 10. The rest of the field were other cars, plus it looks like a cartoon car. I hate seeing it on track, and to rub salt in the wound, it's a quick car that lets you get away with sloppy driving.

As has been said, watching cars go sideways, and run off line or to deep into corners and it still keeps pace.

Please PD, nerf it to oblivion so I don't have to see it any more. It's an eyesore.

*Sorry, I've managed to double post.

Today's Gr.3 at Alsace might as well be a one-make - the entire top ten is beetles. I'm rooting for anyone trying to get anything else in there, but I think they'll need some luck!

In total agreement with others - really miss tuning gears. Unfortunately, that would help the 911, which is already quite dominant.

The GR3 Merc is my car of choice and you’re totally right. The stock gearing is crap (even short shifting isn’t enough) and the LSD settings are way too high.

I can usually gain 3-4 spots early in the race but have a hard to me holding on as the race spreads out and others find their rhythm.

Not noticing the dominance myself.

Also remember that PD has data on every race results table run in GT Sport, ever.

They will just adjust BoP sooner or later if they determine one particular is ‘OP’, to use the proper meta parlance.

And when was the BoP last adjusted? Couple of weeks ago now when the last update was released? Since then the Beetle has been the top car on leaderboards and in races for most tracks... there's been nothing done about it, and PD should really look into responding faster to what are clearly 'errors' in their BoP measurements.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's a Beetle:yuck:

Honestly though, I don't find it all that dominant. I've still yet to drive it, for my reason above, but I've found the Beetles are really not all that much better than any selection of Gr3 cars. It mostly all comes down to driver.

I'll let everyone in on a little secret though, the Renault RS01 GT3 is a BEAST. Don't sleep on it.

Thanks. Always seemed to me the car had everything to be a beast (as the real life car compared to GT3 cars, as it's obliged to race with a plate on rear wing mounts to hurt it's top speed), not being used by many people a mistery for me. Don't really know the car as I'm only using gift cars through the game.

As I posted upthere, for me, the bad thing about the car it that seems to forgive almost everything to people who look clueless about how to race.
I said I'm aware I'm not a good racer, and plenty of people is faster than me on many cars, but in this particular race I could pay more attention than usual to some Beetle drivers and I got the impression they did many errors that would be near to impossible to save in most of the other models.
For example, I use the Citroen GT on Gr.4, is easier to drive than most Gr.4, but is I keep failing braking points and missing racing lines, I see everyone passing by as the car doesn't have the best power to weight ratio to regain speed.

And when was the BoP last adjusted? Couple of weeks ago now when the last update was released? Since then the Beetle has been the top car on leaderboards and in races for most tracks... there's been nothing done about it, and PD should really look into responding faster to what are clearly 'errors' in their BoP measurements.

WRONG

Balancing a game is about not making knee jerk reactions.

A few weeks is hardly anything

Thanks. Always seemed to me the car had everything to be a beast (as the real life car compared to GT3 cars, as it's obliged to race with a plate on rear wing mounts to hurt it's top speed), not being used by many people a mistery for me. Don't really know the car as I'm only using gift cars through the game.
The stability and grip it has for an MR car is ridiculous. Plus having the extra gear definitely helps. I saw someone using it setting crazy lap times compared to what everyone else was setting and had to see for myself so I just went ahead and bought it. Don't regret it one bit

I do use it and was actually quite surprised to see how stable and predictable it was compared to the other Gr.3 cars and that's about what I like about it. With that said, I think it still comes down to the driver's skills. Was on Nurb GP last night and a bunch of people were running it. Not everyone could manage the same lap time or getting even close to the top 10 times despite using it, so I don't think it is that big of a deal. From my experience in using it, it is slow on the straight and can't keep up with most other cars (So far, I've seen it defeated on the straight against the Viper (which I think is OP as well when it comes to straight line speed), M6, Corvette, WRX, AMG and GT-R). If you drive it well, it will carve corners like nobody's business. Other than that, it destroys the tires really fast and tend to understeer a whole lot.

When the beetle wasn't as common a couple of weeks back, the 911 seemed to be what everyone else was and still drive because it works so well on most, if not every track you put it on. Should the set up be re-evaluated for it as well?

I do not know if the Beetle is broken, but it is quick, nimble, and very forgiving compared to most other cars in its class.

Having said that I am 2+ seconds faster around Dragons Tail with it then any other GR3 car I have tested. 1:37.3 with the Beetle (stock settings, ABS default TC 2 or 3).

Like others have said the same happened with the GT-R etc.. one car will always take the top spot and when they end up nerfing that dominant car like they did with the GT-R then the next fastest car will be the next one to complain about and get nerfed eventually also :P

There's always going to be one car that has people complaining.. just drive the car that's fastest at the time and if you can't top 10 with it then you simply aint fast enough to compete with the top 10 anyway.. If the car seems faster and has an advantage then use that car more until you can find how to drive it like the top runners do ;)

The next fastest car they will more than likely beat you in that also 👍

Back