The reign of the Beetle Gr.3

• Thread starter danardif1
  • 153 comments
Fortunately at the moment I've not seen a top 10 time I couldn't hit without the use of counter steer, thankfully :(! But I completely agree with you the counter steer thing! The RCZ (I've chosen PUG This week) is very similar to the Porsche in Group 3 in terms of how it drives but on Sunday in one of the best races I've had with a Porsche opponent (2 of them), the Porsche had more power and I said the RCZ needed 1% power increase, Monday came and PD gave it (Not sure whether they can read my mind haha) so I think the RCZ will be the same as the Porsche now. I've not seen many beetles so I'm hoping people are trying different manufacturers out (I assume they are).

But there's an additional issue (Which might have been solved I don't know) in that ABS affects speed something else in road cars. When it was the Evo at Tokyo with the Nations Cup I turned ABS off and gained 1.5 seconds (I lost a tiny bit in braking zones due to locking) so I've no idea what that is about. What it appeared to be is that ABS for some reason when changing gear activates TC then deactivates it, without ABS it does this but for a split second rather than .5 of a second (Times aren't accurate but you get my meaning). This may well have been fixed as it was referenced in the patch notes but that was a scary improvement when I tried it, like I couldn't believe! (Think times were 2:25.0 and initially I was on 2:26.9 could see a 26.4. I turned off and my potential went to 2:24's).

I'm not sure whether driving aids needs a separate thread though as I could go on all day haha! Sorry if this is seen as derailment, I'll bring cookies to the next GT event I go to as compensation!

Or at the next tournament, be sure to consume some of Oddbin's unwanted stock of Beck's Alcohol Free beer....lol.

I've had difficulty with the Porsche at Nur. GP, and the 'snap oversteer' I have put down to not having the confidence with what the nose is going to do on entry because it doesn't feel connected. As a consequence more often than not, the nose runs slightly wide so the car is placed on a less than ideal line on the way out and the eagerness to get on the power to compensate creates the 'snap oversteer'. The other tracks have been ok though and in between I've tried the RS01 where the rear breaks away more easily and more quickly than the Porsche, but the saving grace is that the weight distribution of it is better, so you can feel the nose much better and as result, not only predict what the rear end is going to do, but also lessen the chances of snap oversteer by consistently placing the car on a nice tight line on exit.

TCS is an aid that is pretty much a standard in the majority of real world motorsports so why should it not be allowed in game? Actually some forms of motorsports are even using GPS based TCS which can be independently set to optimize its application for each corner of the racing circuit. Teams do try to find a balance using the least amount of TCS possible as it does effect power delivery upon acceleration and can slow down a cars drive out of corners resulting in higher lap times.

TCS in game does the same as far as lap times, the higher you run TCS the tighter the car drives and the "less drive" exiting the corners resulting in higher lap times. With a RWD car loose is fast if it is not so loose that you cannot keep the car going in the desired direction.

With the current physics of GTS many RWD Gr3 cars and some Gr4 cars are way too prone to a no warning snap spin on acceleration with no traction control. Even driving with an egg under the gas pedal on corner exits can result in this dreaded no warning spin entirely to frequently and depending on the car TCS 1 or 2 will make the car at least predictable for the most part.

I can agree with not allowing counter steering aids or vehicle stability aids but ABS and TCS are real world tools that most real life racing series do employ so should not be disallowed or their use frowned upon.

I think fixed settings are the core of the issue, a lot of Gr.3 cars are way too temperamental drive with the default settings and counter steer disabled. I was fine without it when I could tune the suspension, LSD, and gear ratios but now I'm liable to wind up spinning for getting anything even slightly wrong that it's just not worth it for me to bother using anything but full counter steering assist.

Last edited:
I wonder if they finally nerfed it....raced at Nurb GP last night and every single person in the races I've been on who drove the beetle were toward the back of the grid....911s and Z4s were dominating though!
Nope the Gr3 Brands Hatch race I just did had 3 Beetles up front, 911's in the middle, I was the only RS01 driver.

Back