The Running Thread

• Thread starter Yukon
  • 121 comments
I've signed up for two half marathons this year, Gothenburg in May (worlds largest with 65000 entries last year) and Stockholm in September. A couple of 10 k races as well. Thinking of running the Stockholm Marathon next year or possibly even the 50K at Stockholm Ultra.

I've signed up for two half marathons this year, Gothenburg in May (worlds largest with 65000 entries last year) and Stockholm in September. A couple of 10 k races as well. Thinking of running the Stockholm Marathon next year or possibly even the 50K at Stockholm Ultra.
65,000:scared: That's a ton of people. Good luck with the halfs. I'm starting to consider a 50k sometime in the next couple years. Seems like a good entry into ultramarathoning.

I ran them both last year as well. The one in Gothenburg was really strange. There was some freak weather phenomenon with a temperature of 30 deg C at the start and a thunderstorm in the middle of the race. It was extremely difficult. I more or less had to give up at 13 k and just jog to the finish line.

I think that the 50K is the better option for me, partly because it's at a better time in the year, August instead of late May for Stockholm Marathon which would mean a lot of winter running=no fun at all and partly because it's also a little bit less stressful with a more generous time limit. If you can run 42k you can certainly crawl another eight. On the other hand I have some friends who runs the Dublin Marathon which is in October and the time limit on that one is so hight that you can even walk around it before the course close.

Last edited:
I hear you on winter running - this was the coldest winter I've experienced and it was brutal. As of last week we had 45 days with sub 0(-17 Celsius) degrees Fahrenheit temps. Somehow it's the best winter I've had with running though.

I know what you mean about if you can do 42k you can do 50k, it's all about pacing. At the same time I didn't want to run another step at the end of my marathon. This year I will be a lot better trained though.

Well I've changed my diet to reflect my running and I feel much better.

Do any of you have pre-run nutrition tips?

Well I've changed my diet to reflect my running and I feel much better.

Do any of you have pre-run nutrition tips?

I changed my diet in the past year also and I have so much more energy throughout the day.

Do you run first thing in the morning or later?

You want something light, low in fat, and high in carbs. I eat a bagel with peanut butter. You have to experiment to find something that works for you and won't upset your stomach.

@Manuelos how are the achilles feeling after the rest?
Went for an easy 20' run today and as expected nothing has changed 👎
While running I don't have any problems but after running there's just something that doesn't feel right.
When doing this =>
shin-splints-standing-achilles-stretch.jpg
it feels pretty painfull. So it's going to be another visit to the

doctor, but I can already guess what he's going to say ..... more rest :ouch:

Went for an easy 20' run today and as expected nothing has changed 👎
While running I don't have any problems but after running there's just something that doesn't feel right.
When doing this =>
shin-splints-standing-achilles-stretch.jpg
it feels pretty painfull. So it's going to be another visit to the

doctor, but I can already guess what he's going to say ..... more rest :ouch:
Did the doctor refer you to a physio also or just prescribe rest? While rest is effective often you need to do exercises as well. The achilles tendon doesn't get good blood flow so it doesn't always heal well with rest alone. Ask your doctor about a referral to a physio. Hopefully you feel better soon.

Hope you get better soon @Manuelos

I nearly did my first mile in one run, felt so great afterwards. @mcfizzle I only get to run on a night after I get home from work at the moment. So around 8pm. I had a power bar about 40minutes before my run while I was on the train.

My legs etc felt fantastic and I could have easily pushed on but my personal fitness broke. Guess just need to build it up.

This was my run from tonight.

image.jpg

Hope you get better soon @Manuelos

I nearly did my first mile in one run, felt so great afterwards. @mcfizzle I only get to run on a night after I get home from work at the moment. So around 8pm. I had a power bar about 40minutes before my run while I was on the train.

My legs etc felt fantastic and I could have easily pushed on but my personal fitness broke. Guess just need to build it up.

This was my run from tonight.

View attachment 127218
Nice job. That mile will turn into 2, 3, 4 before you know it. Powerbar's are great before a run. They never upset my stomach and give the carbs you need to get through the run.

Finally started running after 5 months stopped! For now I'm only allowed to do 15 minute runs and my old shoes will do, but I should really to look for a new ones.

Finally started running after 5 months stopped! For now I'm only allowed to do 15 minute runs and my old shoes will do, but I should really to look for a new ones.
How many km/miles do you have on your old shoes?

Does anyone use apps on their phone while running? If so, which? RunKeeper
I'm using a forerunner 310xt and upload my workouts to endomondo.
I also have the endomondo app on my phone in case my battery from my garmin dies.

Does anyone use apps on their phone while running? If so, which? RunKeeper
I've used Jog Tracker which was okay and RunKeeper which is pretty good. Nike+ was crap. Now I use Garmin Forerunner 410 watch. Watches are the way to go if you can afford one.

I'm currently using my iPhone and Strava. If I'm truthful I'd love a watch or armband of some sort. The new Garmin Vivofit looks nice.

Monday morning first visit with the physio. Curious what's he's going to say/do.
You said it's more sore after the run rather than during right? That sounds like the early stages of tendinitis. I wouldn't think it should be too tricky to fix. Part of the problem is figuring out what caused it and that could be a lot of things from shoes, running surface, gait, anatomy, exercise intensity and frequency among other things. Good luck.

I use a TomTom watch with a pulsemonitor. I have set it up so that it automatically uploads to Runkeeper whenever I sync. I used to use Runkeeper on my phone and one of the really nice features is that you can broadcast your run to your friends. That way my wife will notice if I have had a heart attack on my run or is lying in some ditch so that she can come and pick me up. Same applies when she is out running in the evenings, for my peace of mind.

Had 3 sessions with the fysio, 2 to come next week. Then I should normally get back to running, BUT:
- only on soft ground
- icing every evening & everytime before and after running
- adding small heellifts in my shoes for a while

I picked up a nasty case of the flu last weekend after attending a course for work. It caused me to miss a couple runs and through my week off. I'm back to running though and will finish somewhere around 120-125 miles for the month. I have a 5K next weekend and then my training will focus on a half towards the end of May. The 5K should be a decent test of what kind of shape I'm in. How is the injury @Manuelos? Were you able to run or do those start next week?

How is the injury @Manuelos?
Not good, not good at all :guilty:
Had to do a 10-15 minutes test run last week. While running I didn't feel anything abnormal, but 1 hour after the run the same pain was there again. The fysio was quite surprised because otherwise I don't have any pain at all.

Back