The Running Thread

• Thread starter Yukon
  • 121 comments
Good luck this weekend Manuelos! Run smart and you will have a great race.
Thanks, but ... when doing my last "long" run (23k) last Sunday, I started feeling a small pain on the sole of my foot at the end of the run. Nothing serious and it went away when I stopped running. On Monday morning the pain was there again for a few hours but eventually went away. Did a 8k run on Thursday and all felt reasonable. Then Thuesday I went out for a 5k run and the pain returned almost instant (but this time more severe), so I stoppped running immediately ...
So at this point now I'm pretty sceptical about making it to the finish line tomorrow :nervous:

Thanks, but ... when doing my last "long" run (23k) last Sunday, I started feeling a small pain on the sole of my foot at the end of the run. Nothing serious and it went away when I stopped running. On Monday morning the pain was there again for a few hours but eventually went away. Did a 8k run on Thursday and all felt reasonable. Then Thuesday I went out for a 5k run and the pain returned almost instant (but this time more severe), so I stoppped running immediately ...
So at this point now I'm pretty sceptical about making it to the finish line tomorrow :nervous:
That's too bad to hear. Rest up as much as you can stay off your feet, and try to ice it if you have time. Good luck tomorrow. I hope it feels good.

Finishid in ............ 3h49'51" :D
Better than I'd hope for. Ran a very constant race, running between 5'20" and 5'30"/km all the time. Goal was a sub 4h, but if possible sub 3h53 because a friend once ran a 3h53. Lost 1 minute at km36 because I had to stop to pee, I really didn't want to, but no way I was running another 6k that way. Last 5k were tough, but I kept running my pace pretty easy actually. Last 100m was pure awesomeness, massive yelling crowd, some friends/family supporting, and than seeing a 3h49 on the big clock :P
Oh, and I didn't have any pain at all, not the achilles, not my painly foot from last week, no nothing :)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/590310656

42,2km
3h49'51"
5'25"/km
172 AVG Heath Rate (my max is 205)
2433kcal

I had my GoPro with me so I'll be uploading a video soon

Last edited:
Finishid in ............ 3h49'51" :D
Better than I'd hope for. Ran a very constant race, running between 5'20" and 5'30"/km all the time. Goal was a sub 4h, but if possible sub 3h53 because a friend once ran a 3h53. Lost 1 minute at km36 because I had to stop to pee, I really didn't want to, but no way I was running another 6k that way. Last 5k were tough, but I kept running my pace pretty easy actually. Last 100m was pure awesomeness, massive yelling crowd, some friends/family supporting, and than seeing a 3h49 on the big clock :P
Oh, and I didn't have any pain at all, not the achilles, not my painly foot from last week, no nothing :)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/590310656

42,2km
3h49'51"
5'25"/km
172 AVG Heath Rate (my max is 205)
2433kcal

I had my GoPro with me so I'll be uploading a video soon
Woohoo! Great job Manuelos! You fought through a lot to even get to the starting line so to reach your goal is a great accomplishment. I look forward to seeing the footage of the race. Eat so good food, rest up and drink a beer or two tonight. You deserve it.

:D

Pitty the picture itself is a bit crappy, but hey, better than nothing.

Finish4_zps78eef52d.jpg

So mcfizzle how's the training going? Your marathon is next week, right? Which one are you running?
Yup, October 5th. It's going well. Taper starts tomorrow and I'm ready for that. I struggled to get through today's 14 miler but nothing serious. Just wasn't motivated to do the last hard workout. Goal is 3:19:59 or faster.

Good luck tomorrow mcfizzle !!! And don't forget to enjoy.
I'm sure you'll do well 👍
Thanks. I came down with a head cold Thursday night, horrible timing, but as of now it's not too bad and I plan to run. I will post results tomorrow afternoon.

I will post more in the next day or two but the race went great. I finished with a time of 3:17:18 and ran negative splits. I felt strong throughout and the final 3 were my fastest miles. Actually left a little on the course.

I will post more in the next day or two but the race went great. I finished with a time of 3:17:18 and ran negative splits. I felt strong throughout and the final 3 were my fastest miles. Actually left a little on the course.
👍👍👍

Started in a 10k race yesterday and finished in 41'39". Training has been a bit sloppy since my marathon, so I was quite happy with that time.

Started in a 10k race yesterday and finished in 41'39". Training has been a bit sloppy since my marathon, so I was quite happy with that time.
Nice job! I'm the same, I've lacked motivation since the marathon but I plan to get going again tomorrow.

I'm a distance runner. I run Cross Country and track for my school. I typically run 50-60 mile weeks. I run 7 days a week with one long run day, two-three speed days. I run 5k's typically in the 18's, 1600's in the 4:50's (hoping to get that one down) and I haven't done the 3200 in while so I couldn't tell y'all an accurate time range

Last edited:
I restarted to play football and my runnings have been dying off, unfourtunately. My last significant run I did a 11km in 47'30".

I apologize for the double post but it's more relevant here plus you guys would appreciate it more. These are my workouts for next month. They'll get harder in Feburary and months after. This is on our own (we run as a small group though) too our coach officially can't start conditioning until Feburary and the season won't begin until march. Note: the off days we do a 4 mile run or we swim (only one of my teammates does this) or bike on our own View attachment 276243

Been doing 130-140km's per month last few months, nothing special at the moment. Sunday first race of the year, a 10k. I'm still in doubt whether I'm doing another marathon this year or not.

Do you guys prefer running on a track or on the treadmill? Do you feel that there are actual pros/cons?

Do you guys prefer running on a track or on the treadmill? Do you feel that there are actual pros/cons?
Outside for sure. It's nice to actually get outside after class and homework and stuff, and treadmills are really bad for your knees

00TREKASCENTLRHERO.jpg

I have been looking at trail running shoes for a while now and a few Vibram Fivefingers popped up on one website, I have done a bit of research and everyone who has taken the time to adapt to barefoot running really rate it.

Has anyone had any experience with these?

Did a 39'59" on a 10k race this morning, finally sub 40' :)
And I'm doing another marathon the 25th of October. Goal will be something around 3h30'.

So having gone from 200 miles followed by the London marathon earlier this year, I'm now trying to get my 1.5 mile time down as low as possible to get through Army selection. Trying to find that pace again is an absolute pain!

Did a 39'59" on a 10k race this morning, finally sub 40' :)
And I'm doing another marathon the 25th of October. Goal will be something around 3h30'.

That's an impressive marathon target! Was the 10k at something near your marathon pace? Seems an odd pace compared to your marathon time to me.

@Pagey279 - No personal experience, but if you're running on loose, natural surfaces they probably aren't too bad for you. But I certainly wouldn't use them on road, track or hard trails.

Last edited:
Back