The sleeper wagon

• Thread starter mr_lab_rat
  • 41 comments
Canada
Vancouver
mr_lab_rat
No, we are not going to talk about sleeping in the car although there is enough room for me to do so. This is a short story about wolf in sheep's clothing.

w41.jpg

This is what the car looks like now. Somewhat sporty grocery/kids hauler, right? It's actually a bit more sporty than it looks.

North America hates wagons for some reason. They are very popular in Europe and you can buy some very nice high performance models. BMW only brought the 325 (2.5 liter 6 cylinder with 184hp) here and most of them had automatic transmissions.
My wife unexpectedly doubled the size of our family (twins) so my 325 coupe was no longer practical. I wanted to stay with BMW but I was a bit disappointed with their new car offerings.
So I decided to build my own sport wagon ...

It started by several month long search that resulted in finding this gem:

w1.jpg

High mileage, ugly aftermarket mirrors and fiberglass body kit, paint chipping off from DIY colour matched body moldings, interior full of dog hair. But the potential was there.

At first I just wanted to swap in an engine from the 330 model (225hp). I already had a stage 1 twinscrew supercharger from my 325 at home for added performance. I would just have to clean up the looks.

So I pulled out the credit card and first parts started to arrive (engine and OEM sideskirts):

w5.jpg

With the engine out it was very easy to do a lot of preventative maintenance so I ordered just about every gasket, hose, sensor, and other replacement parts I could (this is only about one third of all parts):

w11.jpg

Time to start taking things apart, it's easier to pull the engine with the front of the car removed:

w13.jpg

Halfway through the project things started to snowball a bit. I was thinking that when I'm already putting in this much work I might as well go all in. So I ordered a stage 2 upgrade (injectors, smaller pulley to raise boost to 8.5 PSI, air to liquid intercooler). The car came with 5 speed transmission rated for 250lbs of torque and it started to look like I would be putting over 370 through it. Oh well, I always wanted a 6 speed anyway.

w26.jpg

w14.jpg

w4.jpg

Now that I was expecting more power and needed to change the differential anyway I ordered limited slip gears from Quaife and some boost and AFR gauges to be hidden in the sunglasses holder:

w23.jpg

w25.jpg

Showtime, out with old:

w15.jpg

In with the new:

w22.jpg

With the new engine in I was pretty sure it would drive well so I decided to make it look good:

w21.jpg

The car runs! You can barely see the supercharger on the right side of the engine. If you don't know what it's supposed look like it will appear pretty stock.

w32.jpg

Yeah, but what about that wheel gap?

w35.jpg

Billstein has the answer (PSS10)

w36.jpg

Dyno time! This was taken on a Mustang dyno that typically reads lower than a Dynojet. Still, with calculating 17% drivetrain loss it outputs close to 400hp and over 350lbs of torque from 2500 to 6000 RPMs.

w37.jpg

With the gauges hidden behind the sunglasses holder flip door the car looks pretty stock. An M3 steering wheel, 265/35/18 rear tires, and lower ride height might give hints that the car is modified but not many people expect this level of performance from a wagon (again, things are a bit different in Europe but I'm talking about this side of the world).

So was it worth the time and money? Would I do it again? Hell yes, it was fun. I had no previous experience working on cars. My biggest job prior to this was changing my own brake pads. I learned a lot and enjoyed every minute of it. Now the car puts a smile on my face when just looking at it and an evil grin everytime I press the accelerator pedal :D

That is so freaking badass! That is an awesome family hauler you have there! 👍

I hope to inspire people to tinker with cars and build interesting projects. I actually surprised myself by what's possible without any previous experience. It took me about three months including waiting for parts to arrive. Couple of hours in evenings here and there.

Last edited:
Love the very subtle mods done to it visually, makes it look just right while it doesn't look modified to the untrained eye. I'm sure it's a joy to drive too!

Oh my! :drool: this thing is awesome, very jelly. Love it when things snowball like this and turn into something you would normally build in a video game where you don't care much about funds, just about perfection:lol: I can see you've got a few more things than those listed, if you can please post everything you changed because it looks like quite an interesting project that was tastefully done. How long did it take? Also, did you consider E46 M3 mirrors? The aftermarket E36ish ones do indeed look terrible but I like the E46/39M ones a little more than the squares.

Lke so:
imola-red-bmw-e46-wagon-is-actually-an-m3-66437-7.jpg

My dad has a E46 Wagon as-well... Just it sits in the Garage.:(

... since well we dont run it in the winter. Plus it sat all last summer.. :s. This what happens when you have to many vehicles :lol:

Screen-Shot-2013-09-05-at-3.27.17-PM-570x363.png

[Picture found on google][Same color][same year]
I think i want to buy it off him instead of his mini cooper after looking at this thread... :lol:

Last edited:
I can see you've got a few more things than those listed, if you can please post everything you changed because it looks like quite an interesting project that was tastefully done. How long did it take? Also, did you consider E46 M3 mirrors? The aftermarket E36ish ones do indeed look terrible but I like the E46/39M ones a little more than the squares.

I don't think there is much more to list:

M54B30 low mileage engine
Getrag 370 6 speed transmission
driveshaft from a 6 speed car
3.38 differential with Quaife LSD gears
new stock 330 clutch with OEM dual mass flywheel
Billstein PSS10 coilovers
HPF rear subframe reinforcement (welded in)
VMR 18x8.5/18x9.5 wheels

replica Super Sprint headers (coated)
Super Sprint mid section crosspipe with sport cats
stock end section

BMW Performance intake box
upgraded water pump and pulley
simple digital boost gauge
wideband Innovate AFR gauge
M3 steering wheel
Sport package non power seats (came with the car)

OEM M-Tech II front bumper
replaced all side and bumper moldings
M-Sport shiftknob
GROM audio iPod/USB interface

oh ... and the ESS twinscrew stage 2+ supercharger :D

The car is very driveable, power output is very linear with tons of torque from 2000RPMs.

I looked at some mirrors but I wanted to keep the car looking stock. I just recently saw e46 with e90 M3 mirrors and it looked hot.
I'm pretty much done with the car. I might black out the chrome trim on the grille and around the windows but that's about it.
The car looks so innocent I'm yet to get a speeding ticket in it (I've had it for 3 years)

This is sick man. I love fast wagons, and the fact you did all the work yourself is impressive. Good work duder.

Didn't even notice we were neighbours. I'll give you a ride when I make it to one of the Thursday meets at the Byrne crossing this spring :)

Cool, didn't even know about Ironlight. I do need to fix the stereo. It has no amp, 4 paper speakers and only 2 or 3 work :D
You can clearly see my priorities were under the hood.

I think the insurance is reasonable - 140/mo full coverage.

I must say, you deserve more than just a pat on back @mr_lab_rat. You deserve all the compliments you are getting from us, because that is one impressive BMW wagon. I don't usually bat an eye to these 3-series wagons, but yours is a different case. Most people have to forget about their sports cars once kids become a factor, but you used that to your advantage. Instead, you created something with the best of both worlds; a great car for the kids and the groceries, and a fun car to drive when you have neither of those things to worry about.

The dedication you put into turning that cheap-o wagon into a true sleeper of a car is amazing, and the (almost?) finished product is a great thing to behold. Powerful yet spacious, good-looking yet subtle, a sleeper in many ways. Enjoy that car, great job. :)👍

I never did get to say, I love the wagon. I love the Alpine White. I love how it sits. I love how it looks. Also very impressed with the swap and subsequent turbocharging. I bet something like this would be fun, especially with how unassuming, but quick, it is.

Thank you for the kind words. It is a lot of fun drive. The long stroke inline six was already smooth and torquey. Unlike simple centrifugal superchargers the twinscrew design generates boost at very low RPMs. When I'm cruising on the highway at 2500RPMs and step on it I get 80% of maximum boost before I reach 2700 and unlike turbos there is no lag. I'll be doing another dyno pull and I'll try to get the chart overlayed with stock 325 or 330 to show that the torque curve stayed pretty much the same, it just moved up :D

Some bonus pics, I think the first one was before the final ride height adjustment.

w39.jpg

w42.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the kind words. It is a lot of fun drive. The long stroke inline six was already smooth and torquey. Unlike simple centrifugal superchargers the twinscrew design generates boost at very low RPMs. When I'm cruising on the highway at 2500RPMs and step on it I get 80% of maximum boost before I reach 3000 and unlike turbos there is no lag. I'll be doing another dyno pull and I'll try to get the chart overlayed with stock 325 or 330 to show that the torque curve stayed pretty much the same, it just moved up :D

Some bonus pics, I think the first one was before the final ride height adjustment.

w39.jpg

w42.jpg

Those Rims.. are gorgeous... Simply... Fits all BMW's fro E46 up IMO.

Back