The Sound Update Thread (The Return)

• Thread starter TayeezSA
  • 1,178 comments
The latest video footage is supremely disapointing to me audio wise, this is not even in the same league as what we expect/want if we use Assetto Corsa or Dirt Rally as examples. The video above just sounds like GT6 with some beefier (or at least more bass orientated) samples/EQ to me.

Yes, it's definitely got a new bass layer, makes the old sound sound really weak. I also swear the GTR GT3 in front of it at the beginning sounds different too? More low grumbly flat 6 sounding like the real thing (IK it's not a flat 6, it's just how I describe the sound :P) when previously it was running a sound close to the one used on the Renault RS01.
Agreed on the GT-R, definitely improvement there.

The previous one is too linear. The new one has more depth.

It still sounds extremely linear to me, the only difference I hear is just more bass and they made a few things sound louder the base sound is the same as we've heard previously.

The gear whine is extremely linear, it just pitches up and down, there's no wobbling or stress on it. The shifting is still very Gran Turismo like, there's no shifting sound, cars insta shift up and down and the rev meter is almost unphased by the shift, you don't hear the engine reconnect with the ground as it starts to keep pushing at lower speeds.

It's an improvement yes, but there are still so many things lacking in the sound department. There's only so much PD can improve if they keep using the same sound design system that they've had since GT1 (the instant shifting thats been in every GT game, that gives it away).

5:58

This car previously sounded properly impressive. So can you explain, PD, why the **** you have updated the sound with a generic straight 4 drone straight out of GT6? :banghead::banghead::banghead:

This is conflicting massively with the excellent progress they have made elsewhere, two great examples being the sls and gtr gt3 racers.

Last edited:
Has anyone mentioned that a complaint in the VVV video below about sounds inside tunnels from the London build has been fixed in the E3 build?

At 9:25 on in the video he starts talking about no echo in the tunnels...

And now here at 1:20 and 1:35 you can now hear the echo.

Great to see/hear :D

Reassessment of the r18 sound - having heard the car through split second bursts caused by the uncompressed video murdering my iPad and Internet, it is a V6 noise. Still can't really tell because of the bursts if it is better than the previous sound however.

You know, i believe i have a cruel theory about why the sounds at the current event showings were
at such quality as we heard it.

!SPECULATION!:
It could be the fact that PD had so much work on the game, that they may have decided to have the sounds slightly changed, in hope that the fans will be happy about it.

So now, when they saw how unhappy we are with the sounds, only now the have gone to change them drastically.

So I took advantage of downloading the videos that PD provided and after listening, some things stuck out to me:

- Gearwhine is vastly different, its no longer the generic one we've been hearing since GT4 and its nowhere near as overpowering, in fact its in some cases barely audible.

- Just as I suspected at London, the BMW Z4 is massively improved. They've actually gotten the main sound on point, but are now just missing the raw bass that defines the real car here (I would say the same about the gearwhine, but I'm not necessarily sure people that aren't fans want to have their ears split by the distinct BMW Straight cut Gears :lol:)

- While there isn't as much of it to hear, the Mercedes SLS AMG GT3 also sounds like its been vastly improved as well. Has that distinct AMG V8 rumble, just lacks the raw bass to bring it out like the real car (which so far appears to be PD's only issue left with the V8s at the moment).

- The R8 LMS is a strange one. Its gone from having plenty of bass but not enough meat to having more meat to it but having no bass. It Sounds more like a V10 (though it could use abit more) but now its too low.

Will probably post more if I hear something else that sticks out.

Last edited:
So I took advantage of downloading the videos that PD provided and after listening, some things stuck out to me:

- Gearwhine is vastly different, its no longer the generic one we've been hearing since GT4 and its nowhere near as overpowering, in fact its in some cases barely audible.

- Just as I suspected at London, the BMW Z4 is massively improved. They've actually gotten the main sound on point, but are now just missing the raw bass that defines the real car here (I would say the same about the gearwhine, but I'm not necessarily sure people that aren't fans want to have their ears split by the distinct BMW Straight cut Gears :lol:)

- While there isn't as much of it to hear, the Mercedes SLS AMG GT3 also sounds like its been vastly improved as well. Has that distinct AMG V8 rumble, just lacks the raw bass to bring it out (which so far appears to be PD's only issue left with the V8s at the moment).

- The R8 LMS is a strange one. Its gone from having plenty of bass but not enough meat to having more meat to it but having no bass. It Sounds more like a V10 (though it could use abit more) but now its too low.

Will probably post more if I hear something else that sticks out.
I'm pretty sure it's the other way round for the R8, there is way more bass now than before.

I don't know why are you explaining me the obvious,
when i implied the word speculation above the line you quoted.

If you didn't fully read/understand, it was a silly thought that PD would do such a move.

For comparison:

i know its the race car and not the street car but the first one actually sounds more like a lambo V10 than the second one does. It has more of the characteristic "wail" that comes from that engine. The second clip while sounding better in general actually sounds less like the real thing until just before red line. the first clip sounds more like the real thing but as if you are far away.

One small I would like to add regarding the new Mustang GR.3: It sounds great and its unmistakably Mustang. Only problem though is it sounds like a road car when it should, considering the exhausts on the sides of the car. Sound much more racy. Kinda like this:

Same still applies to the Corvette (Exhaust and all), which should either sound more like
the Callaway C7 GT3r, or since its clearly more Corvette Racing themed, sound more like the C7.R

Hopefully though, they'll fix that.

I'm pretty sure it's the other way round for the R8, there is way more bass now than before.

I don't know, it seems lacking in comparison to what you hear in GT6.

One small I would like to add regarding the new Mustang GR.3: It sounds great and its unmistakably Mustang. Only problem though is it sounds like a road car when it should, considering the exhausts on the sides of the car. Sound much more racy. Kinda like this:

Same still applies to the Corvette (Exhaust and all), which should either sound more like
the Callaway C7 GT3r, or since its clearly more Corvette Racing themed, sound more like the C7.R

There is a road and a race Mustang.

Will be interesting to hear if there is much difference between the 2 cars.

When put into context, i.e against GT6, the sounds in GT Sport are miles ahead. Maybe not when compared to current car sounds in racing games, but it's a major improvement. That's great to see and I hope PD continue to do so until the full release.

Apologies, I thought you were referring to the copperbox audio.

I remember the R8 LMS sound being alright in previous GTs, it had a harsh, almost viper sound to it. Interestingly enough, this new sample is considerably closer to what the road car previously sounded like.

I'm curious to hear what you think of the new r18 sample? You can hear it clearly in the video above at 5:55

According to the Kaz live stream interview, they now have one great location/facility for recording the cars and they bring them there and spend a whole day on each?

So only a manner of time till the material gets used

Last edited:
This direction of improving on samples is making me question how AES will come into the picture.
Ah, but he never once mentioned samples. The samples I've heard so far are all familiar in some way.

You still need high quality recordings as a reference, and for synthesis you probably need a greater range of recordings and probes in a non-reactive environment so that you can be sure you're getting the car and not the garage, yard or circuit itself.

I expect they will be using one of the anechoic chambers manufacturers and transport organisations etc. use.

Back