The Sound Update Thread (The Return)

• Thread starter TayeezSA
  • 1,178 comments
I hope they will fix the sounds. I would like see there is no more vacuum cleaners posts below each GT video. It's pretty annoying already, even more annoying than the GT engine sound itself.

PD's approach, like usual, is just way too complicated and exotic. I said it once and I'll say it again: Give me the recorded samples and let me mix them in FMOD or Wwise, I guarantee you the result will be better than whatever we're hearing now.

I've thought this too. Clearly people have been making excellent sounds for rFactor mods, all the way back from 2005, using nothing but youtube recordings (doubt those modders actually have access to million dollar race cars, or rare cars that will never be driven, let along lent for a whole day recording). So it's not like sound mixing is rocket science. GT consistently having poor sounds, IMO, is more to do with design direction than a technical inability. Same thing with consistently poor AI, poor damage, slightly neutered physics, etc.

With the last few games the constant criticism of sounds have made Kaz/PD take notice, and you can see that they ARE trying to change things. But as long as it's still the same people at the helm there won't be a massive revolution, I think. A shame too, because it's probably one of the easiest things to improve in GT that will add so much to immersion and gameplay.

@G.T.Ace
The Sierra video i couldn't hear much difference because i don't know that car, but i saw the V10 Plus and the '70 Charger. You definitely have an ear for car sound, i'll tell you that!
Fantastic work!
And yes, as you said, the only issue is that the sound samples that you had to work with are not clear, which
is a bummer.

This system has the possibility to go far beyond what samples can do. Open your mind a little, at least wait until we hear it finally implemented before dismissing it.
When will this be? 2028?
but i saw the V10 Plus and the '70 Charger. You definitely have an ear for car sound, i'll tell you that!
I appreciate that, but these are not my work. ;)
Credit where credit's due etc.

So any thoughts on the sound in GT sport beta so far? Seems to me like they scrapped engine sound all together and there is now "only" exhaust sound...

So any thoughts on the sound in GT sport beta so far? Seems to me like they scrapped engine sound all together and there is now "only" exhaust sound...

As I mentioned elsewhere, I think its the opposite. PD simply haven't modelled exhaust, simply seems like they just used the sound all the way around and just masked it in Doppler effect.

Yeah it does sound very bizarre.. its as if when your car travels away from the camera it goes into a large arena or a tunnel. There's virtually no exhaust sound bouncing off the environment. And that obnoxious tranny whine... eekh!

Worst example of missing exhaust note is the WRX Sti for me. There is no boxer rumble at all! It sounds even alot like the one from GT5 and GT6 just a strange wooooosh sound.

Good comparison.

I read somewhere that these newer WRX Sti don't have boxer rumble, that is probably the case here.

Worst example of missing exhaust note is the WRX Sti for me. There is no boxer rumble at all! It sounds even alot like the one from GT5 and GT6 just a strange wooooosh sound.

Good comparison.

I believe I said a similar thing back in the trailer/ screenshot or videos thread and @TayeezSA confirmed to me that it has to do with the model being wrx type S containing a 2.0 L that it does not have the traditional boxer rumble the american versions has being (2.5L).

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...eral-discussion.337545/page-937#post-11754258
It was the general discussion forum sorry :P

Last edited:
not the best sound quality, but one can easily hear the difference

Good comparison.

I read somewhere that these newer WRX Sti don't have boxer rumble, that is probably the case here.

Yep, GT Sport very poor.

that's because US market received the old 2.5 boxer engine, unlike JDM STi, which received a new 2.0 engine

Forza is way off.

Is there a video to demonstrate?

I believe I said a similar thing back in the trailer/ screenshot or videos thread and @TayeezSA confirmed to me that it has to do with the model being wrx type S containing a 2.0 L that it does not have the traditional boxer rumble the american versions has being (2.5L).

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...eral-discussion.337545/page-937#post-11754258
It was the general discussion forum sorry :P

Its about the headers the Usdm and Jdm STI use diffrent length headers thus why they sound diffrent. The sound is pretty spot on in my opinion.

Sadly there is nothing I can find on youtube with the Jdm version. .-.

Last edited:
not the best sound quality, but one can easily hear the difference

Thanks for the video
I think I have found something after extensive searches :P

And for comparison the video in the general thread with all camera vieuws

GT sport seems to capture the engine note nicely until reaching higher revs which gives it a synthetic sound (if you listen to it with a headphone).

The shifting in gears is clearly not their best efforts (hopefully it gets fixed something like Forza at least). The exhaust note seems to be absent (just sound like the front engine sound in a higher volume) IMO.

Last edited:
So far what I've heard of the beta is a mix of technologies, mix of accuracy and mix of production styles on a per-car basis. It's kind-of business as usual, in a sense, but there are a few technical changes that I would constitute as "dumbing down", or giving in to conservatism.

Still, I'm sure I can hear AES (PD's groundbreaking synthesis) on a good number of the cars, and it seems that some of the updates have converted some cars to use AES instead of samples. The overall mix and tuning of spatial effects like panning and reverb are likely lower down the list, in terms of importance, than the actual sounds - although the sound engine itself should be in set in stone before you make content to work in it.

I like the incidental effects, such as the chassis creaks and the exhaust crackles - these are of a very high production standard that may be indicative of PD's broader intentions.

The lack of a dedicated intake channel continues to be the biggest disappointment and detriment to the overall impression.

So far what I've heard of the beta is a mix of technologies, mix of accuracy and mix of production styles on a per-car basis. It's kind-of business as usual, in a sense, but there are a few technical changes that I would constitute as "dumbing down", or giving in to conservatism.

Still, I'm sure I can hear AES (PD's groundbreaking synthesis) on a good number of the cars, and it seems that some of the updates have converted some cars to use AES instead of samples. The overall mix and tuning of spatial effects like panning and reverb are likely lower down the list, in terms of importance, than the actual sounds - although the sound engine itself should be in set in stone before you make content to work in it.

I like the incidental effects, such as the chassis creaks and the exhaust crackles - these are of a very high production standard that may be indicative of PD's broader intentions.

The lack of a dedicated intake channel continues to be the biggest disappointment and detriment to the overall impression.
I would like to know more what you mean with the AES system and the mix between technologies, accuracy and production style. (because I am a noob in this area :P)
Lastly you also said that there is lack of a dedicated intake channel, is this also the case for the exhaust note? Due to what I am hearing there is barely any audio of the exhaust going into the chase came and just a much higher volume of how the front camera sounds like.
It is good to hear back from you @Griffith500.:gtpflag:

I would like to know more what you mean with the AES system and the mix between technologies, accuracy and production style. (because I am a noob in this area :P)
Lastly you also said that there is lack of a dedicated intake channel, is this also the case for the exhaust note? Due to what I am hearing there is barely any audio of the exhaust going into the chase came and just a much higher volume of how the front camera sounds like.
It is good to hear back from you @Griffith500.:gtpflag:
If you are interested in car sound design watch this
Pretty good video

If you are interested in car sound design watch this
Pretty good video

Caviezel is Dey Man! I absolutely adore his work in FM4 and 5 (pretty sure he contributed to 5 as well). Before FM6 development began, he switched to Polyphony if memory serves, and it shows.. you can see through the cracks somewhat. However, cars in GT still sound.. so not like cars! Oh well. :cool:

Actually i quite like it as it seems to correlate well with the grip/load on tyres.
I think so, noticed that too... especially when going at slow speed. Wrong direction for PD... mute the tire sound please

Back