The Throwing Digital Sheep Project CARS Coverage Thread- Thrustmaster T300 PCARS Review

• Thread starter rambo793
  • 127 comments
Thanks again for this, and a great job all around. There are some nifty insights in spite of my disappointment, which I outlined in the general thread, and I wanted to be sure to express my gratitude. :cheers:

Great read, simply awesome! Thanks again. 👍

So, did Andy say yes to custom championships in quick race mode (I had question number 11)? Sounds like it.

Great read, simply awesome! Thanks again. 👍

So, did Andy say yes to custom championships in quick race mode (I had question number 11)? Sounds like it.
They are not in yet for sure. Maybe coming later? I think that's what he meant.

Great interview and the member's comments! I'm sure a lot of people who are not part of WMD are happy :)

You're right. But the fact that he said it was discussed gives me hope. There are still those two "Coming Soon" options under solo mode in the main menu, at least in the videos I've seen. So, who knows? ;)

You're right. But the fact that he said it was discussed gives me hope. There are still those two "Coming Soon" options under solo mode in the main menu, at least in the videos I've seen. So, who knows? ;)
Yes, but not as a day one patch. Expect it later in the games life.

Reading the interview has sent my hype levels through the roof, gutted about the wheel situation I have no idea how but I hope somehow I'll get a wheel before this releases.

First, thank you so much for putting this all together @rambo793...and all the way from Mumbai:tup:👍 If you run into Aishwarya Rai, please tell her I'm sorry about Valentine's Day and I'll make it up to her next year:sly:

Second, first 2 questions like a boss....
smiley-dance011.gif

One thing that stands out to me. I can't remember how many times I said pretty much exactly the same words as Andy below, whenever anyone would use all the complaining and negative feedback on the GT series as reasoning for the Kaz Q and A forum failing, or why no one from PD or Sony is officially on this forum as a spokesperson. My thinking was the opposite. That's the exact reason they should be here, because you don't learn anything about your product if you only listen to the people that love you. I'm glad to see that Andy feels exactly the same way:bowdown::

Whilst praise is great motivation, it’s the people highlighting issues or identifying areas for improvement that really drive us – because those are the things we need, and want, to do better at. If all we had were people saying how amazing things were we’d be living in Cloud Cuckoo Land where we were under the false impression everything was great when it’s not. So when we hear “I still think the grip levels are too high in the wet” or “I wish I could do X in the game” we take notice, evaluate each of them, scope out what it would mean to do something about it, and then dream bigger – ie.. What could we do to go beyond the player’s expectations on this item? It was like that the whole time during development, it’s like that right now as people contact us on Twitter and Facebook, and it’ll continue to be the way after launch. “

First, thank you so much for putting this all together @rambo793...and all the way from Mumbai:tup:👍 If you run into Aishwarya Rai, please tell her I'm sorry about Valentine's Day and I'll make it up to her next year:sly:

Second, first 2 questions like a boss....
smiley-dance011.gif

One thing that stands out to me. I can't remember how many times I said pretty much exactly the same words as Andy below, whenever anyone would use all the complaining and negative feedback on the GT series as reasoning for the Kaz Q and A forum failing, or why no one from PD or Sony is officially on this forum as a spokesperson. My thinking was the opposite. That's the exact reason they should be here, because you don't learn anything about your product if you only listen to the people that love you. I'm glad to see that Andy feels exactly the same way:bowdown::

Whilst praise is great motivation, it’s the people highlighting issues or identifying areas for improvement that really drive us – because those are the things we need, and want, to do better at. If all we had were people saying how amazing things were we’d be living in Cloud Cuckoo Land where we were under the false impression everything was great when it’s not. So when we hear “I still think the grip levels are too high in the wet” or “I wish I could do X in the game” we take notice, evaluate each of them, scope out what it would mean to do something about it, and then dream bigger – ie.. What could we do to go beyond the player’s expectations on this item? It was like that the whole time during development, it’s like that right now as people contact us on Twitter and Facebook, and it’ll continue to be the way after launch. “

:lol: :lol: I just spat out my coffee over that Aishwarya Rai 'Bacchan' remark right there. Cracked me up, but I definitely will pass on the message :sly:.

It's been a pleasure bud, I'm glad you all loved it.
I'd come up with the idea frankly in December, when I was hunting for a place as a freelance writer. And then when I did get one at Throwing Digital Sheep, I pitched the idea to them. They loved it and were extremely supportive giving me all the tool I'd need. I got in touch with Andy, certainly not expecting him to agree to it or for this thing to materialize. Nearly two months later, here we are.

I'm happy that in some way I've been involved in the game's creative process, however minuscule my contribution might be.
Anyway, it's been picking up some attention on twitter, Pete Morrish and Stephen Baysted sent in their gratitude. It does however need to pick up more momentum so that people are more aware of how the game's delays are not a result of poor decision making on the Studio's part. Also, a large portion of the game's followers are rather oblivious to the behind-the-scenes happening. I have however, shared it on n4g hoping it gains attention there and so if any of you have ideas on how to promote the article, I'm open to them :)

And lastly, remember that Renault Reverie teaser I brought you a couple of weeks back? The full version is here and I shall put it up soon :cheers:

Just read the whole lot, both parts. Great interview, & some truly interesting insights into this most awesome endeavor that is known as Project CARS.

Many thanks to all involved.

:cheers:

It's going to sound stupid, but I think I asked my questions too soon :lol:

As since that point, digging into rFactor & modding in-general, I've come to the realization of legality with mods in a Triple-A title, as well as options that I'd be looking for (removable arms) are there, even if its not in the feature list.

But regardless, answers are answers, something a Q&A needs to be successful ;)

Glad you liked it :). Do leave a comment at the site if you have the time buddy.

Anyway boys, here's the complete "Renault Reverie" Trailer, courtesy of @JonZ ofcourse -

http://throwingdigitalsheep.com/project-cars-4k-renault-reverie-final-trailer/

Boy, I've got a Project CARS overdose I think.
I got a chance to read the second part, the conversations with Senior Members, and the thing that strikes me is that it's not all rah, rah, rah, Project Cars is the greatest thing since sliced bread, it seems more like honest appraisals of the game development so far, with all the ups and downs and bumps and bruises not being swept under the rug as one might expect in an interview of this type. I find that very refreshing 👍👍

I got a chance to read the second part, the conversations with Senior Members, and the thing that strikes me is that it's not all rah, rah, rah, Project Cars is the greatest thing since sliced bread, it seems more like honest appraisals of the game development so far, with all the ups and downs and bumps and bruises not being swept under the rug as one might expect in an interview of this type. I find that very refreshing 👍👍

Did you think we all had a pleasant time before reading this?

It's been a long and tough road for all of us. We had many discussions and heated debates. Sometimes a person was completely right or other times wrong. Even at times a point would be made and the community was of a completely different thought, only later to come back on their standpoint after a long discussion.
The same goes with the interaction with SMS. Sometimes they would immediately agree to what we were saying and change things as soon as possible, but at other times we really had to work hard to convince them that something had to be done.

All in all it really is like a work environment, but a great one at that, where sometimes things go easily and sometimes you have to fight to prove your point. At times you completely agree and other times you can get worked up and butt heads with someone.
The only good thing about WMD's work environment is that you are not forced to work like with a normal job. So if you get too heated you can take a break and just calm down, being able to look at things newly when you get back to it.

ps. Do look at the comment of Jussi Karjalainen down in the comment section. It's a nice read as well. :)

That was the goal from the start. Though I was a bit worried if SMS or Bandai Namco would ask us to pull it down seeing as it doesn't describe Project CARS as, like you said, the best thing since slice bread. It was after all, a bit too frank in places.

Glad as I am it didn't, it's nice to see it only reinforces the Community spirit of the game. Quite pleased you fancied it Johnny :cheers:

ps. Do look at the comment of Jussi Karjalainen down in the comment section. It's a nice read as well. :)

Yes indeed, it was nice of him to stop by and lend some insight.

Anyway, although I'm sure you boys wouldn't have missed it being as I'm a bit late at putting it up, here's Andy Tudor, detailing Project CARS' career mode, as part of a special gameplay series.

http://throwingdigitalsheep.com/sms...oject-cars-career-mode-gameplay-series-videp/

Both parts were really well put together and with the depth and honesty that the potential market like to pour over. I hope it gets the visibility it deserves.

Did you think we all had a pleasant time before reading this?

It's been a long and tough road for all of us. We had many discussions and heated debates. Sometimes a person was completely right or other times wrong. Even at times a point would be made and the community was of a completely different thought, only later to come back on their standpoint after a long discussion.
The same goes with the interaction with SMS. Sometimes they would immediately agree to what we were saying and change things as soon as possible, but at other times we really had to work hard to convince them that something had to be done.

All in all it really is like a work environment, but a great one at that, where sometimes things go easily and sometimes you have to fight to prove your point. At times you completely agree and other times you can get worked up and butt heads with someone.
The only good thing about WMD's work environment is that you are not forced to work like with a normal job. So if you get too heated you can take a break and just calm down, being able to look at things newly when you get back to it.

What sort things over the years did the community have to really convince SMS team of to put in?

What sort things over the years did the community have to really convince SMS team of to put in?

Sorry for the late reply.

This is pretty broad. It ranges from online options that facilitate leageas in the best way possible, to cars and tracks to license, to the direction the tyre model and FFB had to go.

We all really desired a new forced induction model that would work together with the volumetric throttle system. When we drove the Lotus 98T and other, especially turbo charged, cars the old system was not organic enough and felt really disconnected from the new throttle response we had gotten from the new throttle system.
With organic I mean that it was impossible to keep a turbo going in the same way Ayrton Senna did with his pedal mashing. The response of spool-up and spool-down just wasn't accurate enough, and did not feel related to the airflow at all.

There also was a lot of discussion about what cars to license so that they would go well together. This so that the career mode could be made interesting.
Of course there were enough wishlists, which made it hard to decide which cars to go for.

Basically the community has been involved or has influenced at least 90% of the projects decisions on what direction to go in. Which wasn't always easy as at times the community was even split 50/50 on some things. Which meant sometimes we just had to try both options and see the result, or if worse came to worst SMS had to take make a decision in what ended up to be an endless debate.

If I speak for myself I had to convince a developer that the inclusion of engine stalling and bump starts had to be included to make the manual gearbox more convincing. It was a little detail and easily done in an evening, but it had to be brought up first. The result was a more realistically behaving car, especially if you know the behavior before and after. It is such a little detail that it will be overlooked easily by the sim racers once they get their hands on it come release, but at least it is there to improve the experience in a silent way. ;)

This thread was about the fan interview. Why do you keep changing the title of the thread to completely different topics :confused:
@rambo793 it isn't advisable

My apologies. Been doing it to reflect the the varied news that keeps coming in as part of my coverage on Throwing Digital Sheep. I think it would be best now on out to name it the 'Throwing Digital Sheep Project CARS Coverage' Thread. Thanks and sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Last edited:
Back