The Throwing Digital Sheep Project CARS Coverage Thread- Thrustmaster T300 PCARS Review

• Thread starter rambo793
  • 127 comments
Solving the Playstation 4 Racing Wheel Conundrum - A Fan Based Review Of Thrustmaster
I've been a while, I know. But for a good reason - I'm pleased to announce that Thrustmaster have agreed to be a part of what I have been intending to do for over a month now - Reviewing their Playstation 4 supported products with respect to Project CARS.

Over several discussions, we decided that while it would be a great idea to review their most affordable wheels - The Thrustmaster T100 and the T300RS, the unavailability of those two exact models at this exact moment has caused them to send me a Thrustmaster Ferrari T300 GTE which, which as most of us are aware is priced at exactly the same rate as the T300RS.

The entire announcement is covered on Throwing Digital Sheep. Moreover, just as we had done with our Q&A with Andy Tudor, I intend for all of you, especially those who are still debating over purchasing a wheel on the PS4, to send in your queries regarding the T300 GTE and what you would like to be covered in the review by leaving a comment on the site before the 10th of June. Frankly as per my opinion, driving on the game minus a wheel is no where near the experience we were expecting. Which is exactly why I've slowed down on my review of PCARS for now, until I'm able to carefully analyze it from both perspectives.

It won't cease there however, as I will continue reviewing their products on the Playstation 4 with respect to every driving game due to launch on the console. I look forward to hearing from you all. :)

I've left a comment on the website. I really hope you discuss the centre spring force that's plaguing all the Project CARS experience on a PS4 with a T300.

Good one mate, fair play. Will read the article in my lunch and put a comment.
Looking forward to it!

To everyone else - I just wanted to emphasis, how invested Thrustmaster and I am in this. They're taking this very seriously, and have even proceeded to invite people to send in their queries to me via their official Facebook page. I genuinely do look forward to hearing from all of you :)

@GTAndy36 I believe things are much better now with the centre spring seemingly disabled with the V1.4 Patch? I've spent several hours on it and the spring was killing it. Force feedback is a charm now!

Not sure the centre spring issue has gone really. The wheel still spins around a lot. This can be tested by parking, spinning to full lock, then slowly driving away. The wheel still spins back unlike a real wheel would do in the same conditions.

One further issue I have discovered since the patch is that the speed which the fan stops spinning has reverted (at least for me) back to the pre-firmware 24 speeds, meaning it once again takes an eternity for the fan to settle down. Firmware 24 should stop the fan spinning very quickly, as it had been doing since I updated the wheel, but after patch 1.4 the fan no longer shuts off as quick as it should. It's as if I never updated the wheel. Has the pCARS patch affected the wheel in this way? Be good to know. I also asked this on TM's Facebook page.

Thanks.

Not sure the centre spring issue has gone really. The wheel still spins around a lot. This can be tested by parking, spinning to full lock, then slowly driving away. The wheel still spins back unlike a real wheel would do in the same conditions.

One further issue I have discovered since the patch is that the speed which the fan stops spinning has reverted (at least for me) back to the pre-firmware 24 speeds, meaning it once again takes an eternity for the fan to settle down. Firmware 24 should stop the fan spinning very quickly, as it had been doing since I updated the wheel, but after patch 1.4 the fan no longer shuts off as quick as it should. It's as if I never updated the wheel. Has the pCARS patch affected the wheel in this way? Be good to know. I also asked this on TM's Facebook page.

Thanks.

Yes, you're right. I drove around a bit more today and while there certainly seems to be improvement to Force Feedback ( Bumps, changes in elevation, curbs etc are more perceptible), the snapping off the wheel to the centre still exists from a standstill. Moreover, the wheel does still tend to get a lot heavier in the slower corners as I noticed with a few cars today.

Thanks about the fan, I'll let you know. :)

The Thrustmaster T300 Project CARS Evaluation
As promised ladies and gents, an honest review of the Thrustmaster T300 ( Ferrari GTE ) based on several Project CARS hours.

http://throwingdigitalsheep.com/thrustmaster-t300-ferrari-gte-project-cars-review/

Several of the issues that were evident when the wheel started out have for the most part have subsided thanks to patches such as 1.4. And now with 2.0 in the pipeline, I hope things even out. Although, as I mentioned in the review, I am concerned about the effect the canned FFB seems to have on the wheel as it really feels like its killing my motors.

The issue has been brought to Thrustmaster's direct notice via the review, so let's see where that leads us. I will however, let you know of their response.

That aside, I must let you all know that I am now leaving Throwing Digital Sheep, the website via which I've sought to bring you the most unique of Project CARS coverage. This however, doesn't mean the end of it all for I am currently working on a building a community of my own, via which I hope to bring far more superior journalistic material.

Thank you for all your support and feedback over the past few months, I'll be back soon. Perhaps, with an Assetto Corsa coverage thread? :)

Latest Posts

Back