The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments
I'd like to have seen something other than the rubber, though the rubber on the one I have doesn't bother me. However, many real racing steering wheels are 260, 280 and 290mm... Passenger car steering wheels are another story entirely as these cars are meant for another purpose.

They actually made the wheel smaller than the GT rim and same damn rubber coating? Guess Fanatec is the only ones who know how to make quality wheels.

Honestly, I preferred the solid grip on my T500RS GT wheel over the "squishy" Alcantara BMW wheel from Fanatec. To each his own, though.

Of course, I prefer my suede Momo Mod 27d wheel over both the T500RS GT wheel and the Fanatec BMW wheel, but, again, to each his own.

:)

Personally I am afraid that, and I already had this feeling watching Sean and Darin hold it. I am afraid that the smaller than GT rim size would make me feel I am using a toy again, like I had using the G25 and wheels prior to that.

Besides, we all as sim racers strive to get the most realistic experience. Which does include real life size rims of high quality. So indeed the question that has been bugging me as well is indeed "Thrustmaster, why did you make the decisions to go with what you presented instead of a proper replica?".

My Momo Mod 27d wheel is almost the exact same size as the new Ferrari F458 Challenge wheel, and it doesn't feel "toy-like" in any way, shape, or form.

If the F458 wheel is as solid as the GT wheel (and I'm sure it will be), it won't feel "toy-like" either, and in cars like the Star Mazda or the Radical it will feel just about perfect. It will probably feel small if you're an oval racer, but Darin and Sean did talk about that already.

My Momo Mod 27d wheel is almost the exact same size as the new Ferrari F458 Challenge wheel, and it doesn't feel "toy-like" in any way, shape, or form.

If the F458 wheel is as solid as the GT wheel (and I'm sure it will be), it won't feel "toy-like" either, and in cars like the Star Mazda or the Radical it will feel just about perfect. It will probably feel small if you're an oval racer, but Darin and Sean did talk about that already.

I actually did not mean how sturdy it is. I am sure you could whack someone with it without worry, like the other rims. They are solid.
I just think the diameter will feel really odd to me. Kinda like the ones they had in those old arcades in days long gone.

Also we are talking about a 458 here and not a Mazda or Radical. Though granted, they have a small diameter rim indeed. The Caterham R500 Supersport does too, as well as the earlier Lotus F1 models (as mentioned by ISR).
Like I said, I am afraid how it might come across for me, a personal opinion. Everyone else's will think differently. If I get it, maybe I will think completely differently.
I might have to add that I always wished for a small rim to use in those old Lotus' in populair sims. Which indeed would make this perfect.
I hope Fanatec might end up making some small rim as well for the CSW. The same size as the CSR Elite rim would be perfect, though at least as solid as any Thrustmaster rim.

On note or your Momo. Its kind of an unfair comparison. Something made for a pc wheel or a decent piece of kit which is probably FIA certified. :P
I still have a DSD steering boss for the T500 here, which is unused after I failed mounting a rim I got to it. So might look for a Momo in the future. Tough I am unsure which, but I liked myself a nice leather Momo Monte Carlo.

They actually made the wheel smaller than the GT rim and same damn rubber coating? Guess Fanatec is the only ones who know how to make quality wheels.

Based on this thread by Simmpa, he is the owner of a defective GT2 wheel. According to this post on another thread back in December 2012, Fanatec let him keep after re-imbursing him for it, and he also has a G25 wheel missing parts.

...and I am wheel less for the PC (powercord for the G25 is lost) I have a Fanatec GT2 but some defect makes it unable to work on PC and I got my money back from Fanatec becuse of that issue but I could still keep the wheel. CSW seems good but I am worried about the quality and the same with the T500, if I spend alot of money I don´t want to constatly have to repair it etc.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and its nice to know what his is based on...

I have actually owned avery alcantara-clad F wheel, and now own a T500 "rubber coated" GT Wheel too. I found the stitching on my CSW GT rim to be inferior in quality to the GT2/GT3 wheels. But that may have been improved since I purchased mine.

In my case it took me a couple of days to get acclimated to the different texture on the T500 GT rim, but thats about it, its definitely not has high maintenance, especially now that summer is approaching.

Last edited:
Surprised there's so much hating on the rubber. I think there have been a lot of rubber clad rims that feel really good: Logitech Driving Force Pro, Logitech Driving Force GT, Fanatec Porsche 911 Carrera, Thrustmaster T500 RS GT. I imagine the 458 Challenge rim will feel quite nice. The only rubber rim that kind of bums me out is the rubber "painted" rim on the CSR Elite. It doesn't mask the molded plastic feeling.

Surprised there's so much hating on the rubber. I think there have been a lot of rubber clad rims that feel really good: Logitech Driving Force Pro, Logitech Driving Force GT, Fanatec Porsche 911 Carrera, Thrustmaster T500 RS GT. I imagine the 458 Challenge rim will feel quite nice. The only rubber rim that kind of bums me out is the rubber "painted" rim on the CSR Elite. It doesn't mask the molded plastic feeling.

Agreed, I had the Carrera wheel too, and I really liked the grip on it.

I don't hate the rubber, but it sometimes left burn marks on my hands (though I have a soft and weak skin). lol
I don't hate Alcantara or suede either, but its too high maintenance.
So I personally prefer to have a leather wheel. Which is easy to keep clean, offers good grip and you wouldn't need gloves with it.

I just hope to see more varietion from TM and also Fanatec. Personally if either of them come with a 300 to 320 millimeter more sturdy version of the G25/27 rim with the leather wrap, I would be all over it. Of course a nice Lotus 49 replica with red leather would be even more drooling to have on there.

Edit:
So this one, maybe with the shifter knob included with the package for either the TH8 or CSS (whichever company makes it first)

SH-BNMMF-08.jpg

Last edited:
I was so ready to get the new 458 Challenge Wheel if it were full size; got to admit i'm a little disappointed on wheel size, but I might still purchase it just to make T500RS peripheral more complete. but then i would feel so ripped few weeks after since its basically the same as GT rim XD

DAMN YOU TM n whole Ferrari licensing thing, keep stealing $$ from my pocket!!

There's a new driver and firmware available for download:
Thrustmaster on Facebook
Now available for download: New Driver + New Firmware for T500RS Racing Whee here:
http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/index.php?pg=view_files&gid=1&fid=2&pid=316&cid=15

Changes in the new “2013_TTRS_1” driver:
- Added detection of the “Ferrari 458 Challenge Wheel” in the PC Control Panel.
- Resolved a problem of the wheel randomly disconnecting in some PC games.
- Resolved a problem of residual Force Feedback effects in some PC games.

Change in the new “V41” firmware:
- Added compatibility for the “Ferrari 458 Challenge Wheel” on PC and PlayStation®3.

👍.

Uh oh... Gotta get this and make sure my T500RS config manager still works with it! eek Thanks for the info!

There's a new driver and firmware available for download:

Thrustmaster on Facebook:
Now available for download: New Driver + New Firmware for T500RS Racing Wheel here:
http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/index...pid=316&cid=15

Changes in the new “2013_TTRS_1” driver:
- Added detection of the “Ferrari 458 Challenge Wheel” in the PC Control Panel.
- Resolved a problem of the wheel randomly disconnecting in some PC games.
- Resolved a problem of residual Force Feedback effects in some PC games.

Change in the new “V41” firmware:

- Added compatibility for the “Ferrari 458 Challenge Wheel” on PC and PlayStation®3.

👍.

Screen from Facebook item:
945628_614971871863885_1545895921_n.jpg

603559_614971861863886_1735923353_n.jpg

936396_614971865197219_676740967_n.jpg

Just ordered the new Gt wheel, 99 euro's delivery will be in the begining of June. If you preorder at Rseat, shipment is free !!!

Last edited:
Hey guys. My peddals have been acting up. the bake is engaging when I'm not pressing on the brake pedal. The accelerator is letting of even when the pedal is fully engaged. Has any body else had this problem? warranty is expired. My wheel has the older pedals. It's a V1. Any help would be greatly apreciated. If there is no solution I'm thinking about buying a new wheel. Would you guys buy the same one? I've never had a Fanatec. Herad good things and bad things about it. Thank you

Have you tried to contact Thrustmaster even though you are out of warranty?

Even if you have to pay for some parts, that might be cheaper than buying another wheel.

I would try that first.

Hey guys. My peddals have been acting up. the bake is engaging when I'm not pressing on the brake pedal. The accelerator is letting of even when the pedal is fully engaged. Has any body else had this problem? warranty is expired. My wheel has the older pedals. It's a V1. Any help would be greatly apreciated. If there is no solution I'm thinking about buying a new wheel. Would you guys buy the same one? I've never had a Fanatec. Herad good things and bad things about it. Thank you

Make sure that your connection to the T500RS wheel is good -- make sure the connector is plugged-in properly and fully. Make sure your cable isn't damaged.

Also, if you have pets or live in a dusty environment, consider vacuuming the pedals well -- pet hair can get into the potentiometers and cause this kind of thing.

I will definitely say it sounds like the potentiometers are going, i've not had the brake one go but the accelerator is the same effect your having, TM will send out replacements for you to solder in, i have to say if mine go again then i will swap over to Fanatec pedals.

Also looks we have another new thing appearing:
https://www.logicnet.org/Thrustmaster-TRS-Official-Loadcell-Brake-Mod/product.html/eid_2707888/

Ive had a similar problem and they asked me to perform the boot loader firmware update method and seems to be ok now till my latest problems

Back