The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments
that wheel almost answered my prayers, except why smaller? and I wanted alcantara or leather since I my main gripe with t500rs has always been the rubber. hopefully they will release a premium edition to this which I will buy in a heart beat.

good call on paddles for those that like it, since it seemed to irritate quite a few. personally I like static paddles so would try and remove those fixed on wheel.

i'll give thrustmaster a B+ for the effort, A+ if bigger size and no rubber

Make sure that your connection to the T500RS wheel is good -- make sure the connector is plugged-in properly and fully. Make sure your cable isn't damaged.

Also, if you have pets or live in a dusty environment, consider vacuuming the pedals well -- pet hair can get into the potentiometers and cause this kind of thing.

Thanks John, I'll vacuum this weekend. I keep my set covered with the original plastic bags it came in. Hope I can fix it. Hope thrustmaster helps me out. Thanks to all who replied

has anyone had the brake pedal go soft/floppy feels like the spring has snapped but pedal does release slowly :grumpy:

I had the same thing, the problem was a broken spring !

2012-110.jpg

I contacted THRUSTMASTER support ( http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/index.php ) and fix the problem in one day (I got new springs within three days)

thanks for your help can't believe that's what the springs are like in the t500rs no wonder they have broken 👎

Later revisions of the T500 use compression springs in the pedals, with two compression springs under the brake pedal.

had anyone problems with the F1 wheel and ghost button presses?
since yesterday my wheel decided to send button press actions for itself while im turning. mainly the rotary knobs and the PL button.
here is a vid i recorded for the thrustmaster support.

This mod would have be available sooner. I was expecting this day one when seen the way the T500Rs pedals were built. Now I have a CSR Elite with Clubsport Pedals V2 because of load cell because it was the main difference between a Thrustmaster and a Fanatec setup (ok, the last main difference is that CSR Elite is 360 compatible and wheel tuning menu).

But it is great for sim racer to have more and more choice :)

This mod would have be available sooner. I was expecting this day one when seen the way the T500Rs pedals were built. Now I have a CSR Elite with Clubsport Pedals V2 because of load cell because it was the main difference between a Thrustmaster and a Fanatec setup (ok, the last main difference is that CSR Elite is 360 compatible and wheel tuning menu).

But it is great for sim racer to have more and more choice :)

Well, you can change some settings on the wheel, if you didn't know. So you could change the wheel rotation in for example GT5 by pressing "Mode" plus "D-pad up and down" (or left and right). It is somewhere in the manuals at the TM site. ;)

Seems TM is on a roll at the moment. Nice!

Looks excellent…wonder how it feels. I like how my modded CSP V2s react, I have them set for strong hydraulic force on apply (10x stock damping) and zero hydraulic force on release (0x stock damping).

I like the conical insert concept way more than plopping in skate board bushings, but the proof is in the driving. The conical shape inherently adds a progressive action that increases with bush compression, but what about hysteresis?

Looks excellent…wonder how it feels. I like how my modded CSP V2s react, I have them set for strong hydraulic force on apply (10x stock damping) and zero hydraulic force on release (0x stock damping).

I like the conical insert concept way more than plopping in skate board bushings, but the proof is in the driving. The conical shape inherently adds a progressive action that increases with bush compression, but what about hysteresis?

You've tried my mod in a set of T500RS pedals?

Oh, sorry I forgot. You have me on ignore...

You've tried my mod in a set of T500RS pedals?

Oh, sorry I forgot. You have me on ignore...

At least he tries to get a used T500 over at iRacing :sly: So if you see a UFO some day near area 51, it might be a RacerXX-modded T500 going airborne :dunce:

The load cell is nice, but the one thing people seem to overlook about the T500 pedals is that they have higher resolution than the CSP V.2s which Fanatec kept at the same resolution as V.1s.

I owned CSP V.1s and V.2s prior, but within a few hours on bone-stock T500 pedals I realized my braking was more precise and controlled, resulting in better lap times, even more so now, with bashers bushing mod.

Last edited:
At least he tries to get a used T500 over at iRacing :sly: So if you see a UFO some day near area 51, it might be a RacerXX-modded T500 going airborne :dunce:

Oh I enjoy modding things, it is not very difficult. But it can be upsetting for some observers who may need to reevaluate certain things they accept as settled, sorry.

I have a DFGT on the way (need to repair it), G25 (tomorrow), and maybe a T500rs to borrow and test for a bit (we'll see). It's nice to get some benchmarks and look for surprises. Each of these devices has merit.

If you test and tinker a bit, you'll quickly find differences between what you discover and what may be considered established conventional wisdom in some circles. That is part of how I found such good results in pursuing low inherent wheel drag and a high ratio of minimum to maximum forces that a given wheel can provider to the sim racer. If you obtain those characteristics, you'll also find some track speed since car control and countersteer capability rise along with immersion.

I have the skate board bushings and it's the best $16 I have ever spent on my pedals, it works great and for the money I won't be buying the load cell.

I have the skate board bushings and it's the best $16 I have ever spent on my pedals, it works great and for the money I won't be buying the load cell.

I totally agree with you, best damn return on my money I could have spent.
What counts most for me is that they are much better than my previous pedals.

I totally agree with you, best damn return on my money I could have spent.
What counts most for me is that they are much better than my previous pedals.

I love my bushings and what they've done for the feel of the pedals. Eventually, I will order Basher's new kit so I have 4 different durometers and find what works best for me. Right now I have 78's and 73's and use a single 73.

...it can be upsetting for some observers who may need to reevaluate certain things they accept as settled, sorry.

Reevaluate which things? What are you apologizing for? I don't believe anyone believes my skate board bushing mod is the "best thing you can get" I offer it because it's cheap, easy and works great...

RacerXX, trolling me is one thing. Doing so while having me on ignore is quite another. Either quit trolling or take me off ignore and have a conversation like a grown up.

Thanks

Reevaluate which things? What are you apologizing for? I don't believe anyone believes my skate board bushing mod is the "best thing you can get" I offer it because it's cheap, easy and works great...

RacerXX, trolling me is one thing. Doing so while having me on ignore is quite another. Either quit trolling or take me off ignore and have a conversation like a grown up.

Thanks

You're working on the assumption that the goal is conversation and open dialog -- it sounds to me like that may not really be part of the goal with RacerXX.

:D

True... Last time I went down that road and didn't get too far. ;) I was hoping things had changed.

Its not clear to me that you have actually tried the T500 pedals with what you call the "skate board bushings." Yes, Basherboards' mod includes skate board bushings, but I can tell you having tried both that Basherboards' mod is pretty close to the feel of the Clubsports. Unlike the Clubsport load cell, its also rock solid and bulletproof. Indeed, one of the guys in my racing group, who happens to be the fastest sim racer we have, prefers the T500 pedals with Basherboards' mod, to the Clubsports. He reached his boiling point after busting one two many load cells.

Its not clear to me that you have actually tried the T500 pedals with what you call the "skate board bushings." Yes, Basherboards' mod includes skate board bushings, but I can tell you having tried both that Basherboards' mod is pretty close to the feel of the Clubsports. Unlike the Clubsport load cell, its also rock solid and bulletproof. Indeed, one of the guys in my racing group, who happens to be the fastest sim racer we have, prefers the T500 pedals with Basherboards' mod, to the Clubsports. He reached his boiling point after busting one two many load cells.

To be clear I have not raced T500 pedals with "skate board bushings". I also changed my CSP V2 pedals quite a bit. So besides inherently not breaking "load cells", they now drive differently. Different articulation along with a very hydraulic feeling on apply, yet quicker release than stock to help with modulation. I don't have much sim equipment in stock condition lol. I would want to investigate hysteresis on T500 pedals with add on bushings, the new conicals too.

The problem using such a solution is that I wouldn't be able to use a button box based on an Arduino Uno or Mega in conjunction with my Thrustmaster hardware on the PS3.
This because I already need one Arduino to act as a controller for use with my hydraulic handbrake, and I plan to make a center console using an Arduino Uno (or mega) for those buttons.
That's two controllers, plus the fact that the Arduino Mega could act as a double controller (emulating two DS3 controllers).

Now I've looked at the hardware in the GT rim just now and it's quite simple actually. There is no microcontroller in them, just two static shift register chips. Namely...

StMicroElectronics HFC4021B (SOP):
http://www.st.com/web/catalog/sense_power/FM140/SC1798/PF63016?s_searchtype=partnumber

That together with the Panasonic 104 surface mount resistors:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/ERJ-8GEYJ104V/P100KECT-ND/203250

And a single 104 surface mount capacitor per chip:
http://uk.farnell.com/avx/08055f104kat2a/capacitor-0805-100nf-50v-x8r/dp/1301790

The hard thing to get I think would actually be the 6-pin Mini DIN male chassis/panel mount connector that Thrustmaster uses in their steering wheel bosses to make the connection.

I will dig a bit deeper to see if I could use the internal electronics.
Thanks for the offer though, John. :)

ps. I have made a image set on my Flickr account with images of the electronics. Thought I made share for all of you.

GT Rim Electronics: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjEnC7zz

Got it made.

Back