The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments
Just ran across this video -- looks like something that would be difficult to commercialize, but it would make for a great DIY project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGBIWVXYCnU

Much cooler action than what I've been able to achieve for enhancing the clutch feel.

I've been following your attempts at the clutch mod. And although that mod isn't yours, if anyone manages to replicate it and produces detailed material list/instructions, I'd be very excited. I suspect I'm not alone either (although nobody quoted you on it).

does anyone has some information about alternative micro switches for the paddle shifters?
mine start to get faulty (again), but im out of waranty and TM wants 20€ for a set of new (worth 0,50€) switches.
i was searching the web for those switches and it looks like they are using those APEM MJTP1212C (US) / PHAP3321 (EU) switches, or similar, probably cheaper ones.

http://www.apem.com/files/apem/brochures/MJTP_12_MM.pdf

i called the lokal APEM factory for a distributor, cause i couldnt find them to buy anywhere here in germany. they told me this type of switch is not often produced, cause there are too less customers for them, and there is actual no distributor available to buy this switch.

does anyone has some information about alternative micro switches for the paddle shifters?
mine start to get faulty (again), but im out of waranty and TM wants 20€ for a set of new (worth 0,50€) switches.

Try searching for MULTICOMP - MCDTS2-4N - TACTILE SWITCH, 7.3MM X 3.8 SQ, 160G. In the UK these can be obtained from CPC which is a Farnell company and I know that Farnell operate in Gemany.

I haven't tried fitting these yet but there shouldn't be any problem. The operating pressure is higher at 160g but again, I don't think this will cause any problem.

i was searching the web for those switches and it looks like they are using those APEM MJTP1212C (US) / PHAP3321 (EU) switches, or similar, probably cheaper ones.

http://www.apem.com/files/apem/brochures/MJTP_12_MM.pdf

i called the lokal APEM factory for a distributor, cause i couldnt find them to buy anywhere here in germany. they told me this type of switch is not often produced, cause there are too less customers for them, and there is actual no distributor available to buy this switch.

Jon Gaug (MrBasher of Basherboards) and I will have replacement switch sets for the T500 fixed paddle shifters and for the F1 paddle shifters available soon from the Bodin Solutions Website. These will be 10 million cycle switches, which means they'll probably last the life of your wheel.

These will be direct, drop-in replacements -- switches, circuit boards, and pre-wired connectors. All you'll have to do is remove your old switches, drop these in place, plug them in, and reassemble.

ETA is probably 2 - 3 weeks, price should be in the "very affordable" range.

Last edited:
Found V4 in big and official retailer for my country and bought it instantly.
Now looking at gear and its packaging I`m more and more convinced that all this versioning scheme is for firmware or regions (except springs in pedals, which were changed quickly). My box was reopened by Thrustmaster (and sealed with original stickers afterwards) and "V4" on pedals, wheel and box is printed on stickers: looks like it was some previous version, taken out from the box, and after updating firmware, putted back with new stickers with "V4" on them.

Wheel is amazing, FFB "range" is few times larger then G27: it gives very subtle feedback where G27 was dead (giving sensations of driving on ideally flat surface; with T500RS you feel like you are racing on actual track) but at the same time it can give brutal kick when needed (hits and bumps).

But I have problems with pedals: I cant hard mout them (no rig, no wheelstand), just lying on the carpet or directly on the floor. And they are constantly moving away from my foots. G27 had those plastic spikes, sticking to the carpet and all was fine. T500RS pedals don`t have it, so they are sliding on the carpet and are sliding on the floor too (two sticked rubber "foots" from underneath came off already).

Anyone figured some way to stabilize them (rubber mats when on floor or some spikes for carpet, dunno)?

Thanks Dean.
So You mounted door stopper to the floor and pedals are based at it?
It`s a no go for me, as I can`t mount anything on the floor (when I race, T500RS is near the center of my living room- and who would like door stopper to stick out in place like that?). It must be fixed with the pedals base.

No, mine's not mounted to the floor, and I even use it for other doors. It should avoid slipping, even if it's (the stopper) "movable" :).

But I have problems with pedals: I cant hard mout them (no rig, no wheelstand), just lying on the carpet or directly on the floor. And they are constantly moving away from my foots. G27 had those plastic spikes, sticking to the carpet and all was fine. T500RS pedals don`t have it, so they are sliding on the carpet and are sliding on the floor too (two sticked rubber "foots" from underneath came off already).

Anyone figured some way to stabilize them (rubber mats when on floor or some spikes for carpet, dunno)?

If you use them on a slick floor, you might try a bath mat or door mat of some sort. Then figure out how to attach the pedals to the mat in some fashion.

If it's on carpet, look for a plastic mat that has those little spikes on the bottom of it. I've seen the kitty litter catcher mat things that have them. Then screw the mat to the bottom of the pedals.

That's about all I can think of :)

No, mine's not mounted to the floor, and I even use it for other doors. It should avoid slipping, even if it's (the stopper) "movable" :).

Could you show a picture of the door stopper "attached" to the T500 pedals to hold them in place?

I'm used to thinking of wedge-type door stoppers, similar to this:

YellowFootDoorStop_large.jpg

I can see how that would wedge under the T500 pedals to hold them in place like a door stop, but I'm unfamiliar with the type of door stop you posted in your pic, and I don't know for sure that I understand how it would work.

:dunce:

Could you show a picture of the door stopper "attached" to the T500 pedals to hold them in place?

Certainly :D.

This stopper has a special bottom (as shown above), which disallows it from slipping, but I'm not really sure what type of fabric it is.

I simply place it behind the throttle, and when I'm done using the wheel/pedals, I simply take it away. Just like with a normal stopper.

I hope that explains it :D.

Hey all, I'm seriously wanting to buy a T500RS but are a little worried that Thrustmaster maybe releasing a new wheel very shortly and the unknown compatibility with PS4. The main purpose would be for using it with Grand Turismo 5 and 6 and also a bit of F12013 when it comes out, I guess Grand Turismo games only come out every 3 years so I would at least get 3 years out of it, if it doesn't support PS4 and I guess it will always work as a PC wheel too. If anyone knows anything would be great, I contacted Thrustmaster about the PS4 compatibility and they said they won't be releasing any information until the PS4 comes out! I'm just thinking I might wait a little while on this one until I go crazy and drop $800+ on the TR500, F1 wheel and Ferrari road car Wheel.

Dean, that's blowing my mind... Is that thing made from plutonium or something? :P I'm trying to wrap my brain around how it stays put, it looks so small.

It is small (~4 inches to be specific :D). I think it's made of normal aluminum, but it weighs a good 3 lbs, so I don't really know for sure :boggled:.

Hi, I decided to buy a T500. My question is: how do I make sure I buy the latest revision (V5, IINM) and I don't get an older model?

And even then, what are the differences between older and latest models?
Does the latest firmware available from TM run on any revision of the T500?

Thanks!

I don't think you can make sure you're getting a V4/5 before you open your box.

The latest firmware runs on all versions - even my V1 :). I can't tell what the differences between V1, V2, V3, V4 and/or V5 is, but I'm sure someone else can.

Hi, I decided to buy a T500. My question is: how do I make sure I buy the latest revision (V5, IINM) and I don't get an older model?

And even then, what are the differences between older and latest models?
Does the latest firmware available from TM run on any revision of the T500?

Thanks!

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- people need to stop sweating the inconsequential details:

My wheel is a V1 -- it was one of the first (if not THE first) T500 to hit store shelves in the Indianapolis area. It was purchased when the T500 was first released, it's been used almost daily since purchase, and it's not given me any problems at all, so I'm not sure why everybody gets all hung up on the need to have a V4 or V5.

The only thing that's changed with the newer (post-V2?) units is the pedal springs -- newer versions use compression springs, and the earlier versions seemed to have less reliable "wound"-type springs.

Again, though, my unit is a V1, my pedals are V1 pedals, and my pedal springs haven't given me any problems to date.

Stop sweating the details, make the purchase, and start enjoying a REAL wheel.

Just my $0.02.

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- people need to stop sweating the inconsequential details:

I'm not sweating at all. I have decided to buy a T500, so I was just wondering what were the differences between the various revisions. Now I know that "these are inconsequential details", so I'm even happier of buying whatever T500 the shop may be carrying. That's it :-)

Sometimes you see shops have T500s at a lower price than anyone else...

Maybe I should have looked more thoroughly for this information if so many people have expressed these doubts before, so thanks much John for answering (again).

Does anyone know where I can buy one of these cables or if anyone can make one for me? It's the cable for the T500 GT wheel with a PS2 connector on one end and a flat connector (don't know the type) on the other end. It is the cable that is on the rim itself.

Is this a standard type cable or specifically made for the T500?

It would be great if I could get a direct replacement with the mounting bracket but if not then just the cable would be fine.

t500_cable.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
Does anyone know where I can buy one of these cables or if anyone can make one for me? It's the cable for the T500 GT wheel with a PS2 connector on one end and a flat connector (don't know the type) on the other end. It is the cable that is on the rim itself.

Is this a standard type cable or specifically made for the T500?

It would be great if I could get a direct replacement with the mounting bracket but if not then just the cable would be fine.

t500_cable.jpg

Thanks!
I think these will fit the bill.
http://au.element14.com/fci/10114829-10106lf/header-1-25mm-tht-6way/dp/2100746?Ntt=2100746
http://au.element14.com/fci/10114826-00006lf/housing-receptacle-1-25mm-6way/dp/2100714

Thanks itrdc5, not sure of my skills at building one myself but with your info I've got a place to start. I can get a ps2 cable and put the connector you provided on the other end.

Would love to find a complete cable already made with the ps2 connector on one end and other connector on the other end? I'm going to need three or four of these.

Dean, that's blowing my mind... Is that thing made from plutonium or something? :P I'm trying to wrap my brain around how it stays put, it looks so small.

No, it's made out of the same thing my load cells are made out of -- hardtoobtainium.

:D

If it's on carpet, look for a plastic mat that has those little spikes on the bottom of it. I've seen the kitty litter catcher mat things that have them. Then screw the mat to the bottom of the pedals.
That was my thinking too.
Bought a rubber door mat with many little spikes (little cones not needles), cutted it to size and then used double-sided adhesive tape to stick it to the pedals. It`s not some "pros" solution for sure but after two days of testing I can say that it`s working - pedals are stable on the carpet like concreted 👍

Certainly :D.
This stopper has a special bottom (as shown above), which disallows it from slipping, but I'm not really sure what type of fabric it is.
I simply place it behind the throttle, and when I'm done using the wheel/pedals, I simply take it away. Just like with a normal stopper.
I hope that explains it :D.
Thanks again for pictures. I thought that it`s drilled through and screwed to the floor.
Maybe it`s because I`m using pedals in different position (F1 not GT) or maybe it`s because the way I drive but they would be sliding all over the place with this door stopper only. :sly:

I'm not sweating at all. I have decided to buy a T500, so I was just wondering what were the differences between the various revisions. Now I know that "these are inconsequential details", so I'm even happier of buying whatever T500 the shop may be carrying. That's it :-)
Take a look a few posts back - just few days ago I was exactly in the same situation as You. Seeing my T500RS and versions markings being on the stickers ("V4" stickers placed on some older "V" stickers), it really could be just firmware and/or regional differences.
Just buy it.

Back