The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments
Hey guys,

Sorry to post another noise thread, but I want to get some opinions. I've had my T500RS for about two weeks now and have been using it quite often. I noticed a rattle has developed that appears to be coming from the right side of the wheel on the inside. I took a quick clip of the noise to get some opinions. I tried contacting Thrustmaster but have not heard back. If I didn't have to worry about voiding my warranty, I would've cracked it open myself already to see what's going on. Thanks!

Hi, not sure if you found what the problem with your wheel is yet, it is slightly hard to tell from the video but it sounds like I problem I had too. The main pulley on the steering shaft was loose and had a bit play in it which made clunky noises When the forces changed directions, didn't feel right either.

cheers for the reply pal and I wasn't aware I could so no , could you enlighten me plz thanks pal
When starting the game, push accelerator and brake pedal as far as you want them to reach.
Personally I push the brake for a few seconds and afterwards the accelerator, never both at the same time, though I do not really know if that would pose a problem.
The game will remember it as long as you play. You will have to do this every time you start the game.

Last edited:
Do you calibrate the accelerator and brake when starting the game ?
If you don't, you may suffer these problems.
sir you are a legend, looked it up and all sorted, how the tm support didn't think to mention this unbelievable thanks again as if it was so simple cheers !!!!

Hi there, I got a new T500rs today and I'm having slight issues with it. The fan is quite noisy. It starts after several minutes after I start playing and it is not getting any quieter at all. I've recorded a video of it, although it sounds quite quiet on the recording.
Is the nose noise the same on your wheels or is it a fault of mine?

Hard to tell listening via an iPad to sound recorded on a smartphone, but your fan noise is not vastly different to what I would have expected. It sounds a little more metallic than mine (which is more of an air whoosh noise and less of a fan bearing type noise) but that could easily be because the fan bearing needs some hours of use to wear in.

I assume your T500 came in a GT6 branded box?

You're assuming correctly. It's just that I was surprised by how loud it actually is, I could hear it through my headset all the time.

EDIT: I have to revert my opinion a bit, not using headphones but using my TV sound instead the noise is better "hidden" and not that obvious to hear anymore. I guess I'll stick with it

Last edited:
Question... has anyone tried using the T300RS rim on the T500rs?

Will it work?
Firmware “V43” update procedure (T500RS) 2014-07-23

Changes implemented in Firmware V43:

- Fixed random firmware update issue (BOOTLOADER case) detected on the previous version (V42).

This firmware includes the previous changes :

- Added compatibility with the PS wheel (of the T300RS). =V42

- Added compatibility with the FERRARI 458 CHALLENGE WHEEL Add-On wheel with the new IC (IC V2). =V42

Hi there, I got a new T500rs today and I'm having slight issues with it. The fan is quite noisy. It starts after several minutes after I start playing and it is not getting any quieter at all. I've recorded a video of it, although it sounds quite quiet on the recording.
Is the nose noise the same on your wheels or is it a fault of mine?

I've been suffering from the same issue and found a fix here on this gem of a thread:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/the-thrustmaster-t500rs-thread.135961/page-298

Read @LogiForces post there. I've been racing 'Noctua quiet' for a long time now and I can tolerate the horrible color scheme as I can't see it under the base cover anyway! :) This little fan blows a considerable amount of air too, does a much better job with the cooling. Shuts down way sooner than the original fan.

Hi guys! I have a question about the pedals. Is there any stiffer springs available for the throttle and clutch? I asked TM twice but got no response. The stock ones are stupidly soft and mess with my pedal control. The wheel came in a GT6 branded box.

Last edited:
I've been suffering from the same issue and found a fix here on this gem of a thread:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/the-thrustmaster-t500rs-thread.135961/page-298

Read @LogiForces post there. I've been racing 'Noctua quiet' for a long time now and I can tolerate the horrible color scheme as I can't see it under the base cover anyway! :) This little fan blows a considerable amount of air too, does a much better job with the cooling. Shuts down way sooner than the original fan.

Don't forget the reduced heat fade effect either, where the FFB weakens due to too much heat. ;)

I did not want to start a new topic for this, but I need help in finding a realistic clutch mod for my T500RS.
After buying the TH8A shifter and short throw 6sp shifter plate from RighOnGears, I have been using the clutch and H-shifter A LOT. I really like it.
But the feeling of the clutch could be a lot better.
Thrustmaster probably will not change it, because if the pedal set is used inverted, the clutch serves as throttle.

I did find a few DIY mods , but none of them seemed worth trying.
*** Well, there was one, but I can't find the picture again :nervous:
So:
Who produces a realistic clutch mod ?
Where can I buy one ?
Who is using one ?

I did not want to start a new topic for this, but I need help in finding a realistic clutch mod for my T500RS.
After buying the TH8A shifter and short throw 6sp shifter plate from RighOnGears, I have been using the clutch and H-shifter A LOT. I really like it.
But the feeling of the clutch could be a lot better.
Thrustmaster probably will not change it, because if the pedal set is used inverted, the clutch serves as throttle.

I did find a few DIY mods , but none of them seemed worth trying.
*** Well, there was one, but I can't find the picture again :nervous:
So:
Who produces a realistic clutch mod ?
Where can I buy one ?
Who is using one ?

Hi, this is what I've done. This is not a "realistic" mod but at least the feeling is different from the throttle...

These 2 mods seems realistic :

But none of them provides a guide...

@poumpoum
Thanks, I did see your mod, but as you say: the feeling is different, but I think it will not feel like a real clutch.
The second Youtube movie was the one I could not find again, I did not realize it was a video ...
That one seems something I might be looking for.

The new TM28 looks like basically the same as the GTE wheels minus the label and the fact that it has a leather rim? Is it still the same smaller diameter as the GTE wheel?

I really wish for a rotating paddle wheels thats the same size as the normal T500RS wheels...

Hi guys,

I've been reading around and I can't quite workout if the T500RS is PS4 compatible. Thrustmaster website says no, but others on the net seem to be using it on Driveclub... They are currently selling for £254 incl. delivery (converted from Euros).

I want to use it initially for PCars on PC, but one day I will no doubt want to use it on Gran Turismo 7 when it comes.

Does anyone have a final answer here.. owners?

Nothing stops a wheel from being PS4 compatible, BUT the wheel needs a driver in the game. Given Polyphony Digital's history, it seems like a safe bet the T500 will work in GT7. Offically tho, it's not a PS4 wheel.

Nothing stops a wheel from being PS4 compatible, BUT the wheel needs a driver in the game. Given Polyphony Digital's history, it seems like a safe bet the T500 will work in GT7. Offically tho, it's not a PS4 wheel.

Initially I thought it required some kind of "authentication chip" to be PS4 compatible, but I could be pulling that out my arse.

Think i'll wait until they say officially so.

But £254 isn't bad right?

Logitech spewed some kind of BS out there about a chip, but it really comes down to a driver. That's why Fanatec wheels are going to work in Project CARS on PS4. Fanatec made drivers and got Slightly Mad to put them in the game. Smart move for sure, but I get the feeling that a lot of owners misunderstand that the wheels are compatible with the specific GAME, not necessarily the system.

Since TM is at present the official Sony and GT wheel provider, it seems pretty obvious that they will be able to get compatibility in for their flagship (and GT licensed and branded) T500RS wheel.

There are long, technical posts somewhere on the forums that explain it better than I ever could, but at the end of the day it comes down to licensing and money. Logitech uses some kind of FFB protocol (Immersion, IIRC) that Sony doesn't have to license this generation, and therefore won't. They did before tho, so Logitech enjoyed widespread compatibility for a long time on Playstation.

XBOX is different in that their compatible devices DO require some kind of special chip to work BTW.

Last edited:
Back