The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments
My T500 F1 wheel has been randomly pressing buttons for a while now and today it finally gave out went crazy and stopped being detectable. I assume it's just a matter of taking it apart and checking all the contacts, but any advice perhaps before i start?

No warranty anymore it had a long and fruitful life:P

My T500 F1 wheel has been randomly pressing buttons for a while now and today it finally gave out went crazy and stopped being detectable. I assume it's just a matter of taking it apart and checking all the contacts, but any advice perhaps before i start?

Only happened to F1 Wheel or GT Wheel as well?

-Both wheels are buggy -> wheelbase fail (coiled cable inside rotating tube? or miniDin female socket on the front?)
-F1 wheel only bug -> I'd check the jack contacts, then take it apart.
Hope it helps.

Right now I'm finding the T300 miles better in pCARS on the PC than the T500. I hope to figure out a good setup for both by the end of the weekend, but right now I'd advise sticking to the T300 if pCARS is a major focus.
dang, i don't understand why i got replacement 3 times?! :( I hope this time will be better.

dang, i don't understand why i got replacement 3 times?! :( I hope this time will be better.
Well you appear to be having little luck with Thrustmaster...

Personally I've just accepted that RMA is part of the process of owning a wheel these days. My last 3 wheels (Fanatec GT2, T500 and T300) have all needed RMA at some point, for differing reasons. Of the three I would agree that I have most confidence in the T500 (my clutch pedal died after about 15 months, rest was perfect).

The good news is that I found a decent wheel setting for the T500 in pCARS on the PC which I posted in the pCARS forum. But I still reckon the T300 gives the better force feedback. And of course you bought an expensive wheel and it simply should work!

This is the noise from my T500rs, had this about 18 months, its always been noisy like this when playing in GT6 and Grid Autosport, but now its even worse in Project Cars.
This video shows me driving slow in a Go kart.
Is this normal for this wheel....

This is the noise from my T500rs, had this about 18 months, its always been noisy like ow its even worse in Project Cars.

Mine has never been acting like that, but in PCars it does, not all the time though.
But the devs know and seem to be working on the issue.

Only happened to F1 Wheel or GT Wheel as well?

-Both wheels are buggy -> wheelbase fail (coiled cable inside rotating tube? or miniDin female socket on the front?)
-F1 wheel only bug -> I'd check the jack contacts, then take it apart.
Hope it helps.

Yea was only F1 wheel. I took it apart, there was nothing visibly wrong with it, so i just disconnected all buttons except for directional buttons and paddle shifts, seems to be fine. Problem... band aided?:P

Mine has never been acting like that, but in PCars it does, not all the time though.
But the devs know and seem to be working on the issue.
seems to be the same issue when you use T500 with DW12 in iracing:P

The devs there know and seem to not be working on the issue. Gonna be a year soon since its first surfaced:P

Well you appear to be having little luck with Thrustmaster...

Personally I've just accepted that RMA is part of the process of owning a wheel these days. My last 3 wheels (Fanatec GT2, T500 and T300) have all needed RMA at some point, for differing reasons. Of the three I would agree that I have most confidence in the T500 (my clutch pedal died after about 15 months, rest was perfect).

The good news is that I found a decent wheel setting for the T500 in pCARS on the PC which I posted in the pCARS forum. But I still reckon the T300 gives the better force feedback. And of course you bought an expensive wheel and it simply should work!

Thank you, I have a time to think about T300RS or T500RS. I guess I have to stick with T300RS since I can RMA it from PC store.
Wait and see when I have feel after replacement arrive (site out of stock)

I have been considering getting a wheel for quite some time and I am starting to wonder more and more about getting the T500RS.

Ideally I was thinking a bit about a Fanatec setup or might even skipping the whole idea for a while and save for an Accuforce, but after the Fanatec price hike they basically took themselves out of the picture as it would be to much for me to pay, and yes I know the Accuforce is even more expensive but in terms of build quality and durability that is how I feel.

However now I feel that the Accuforce might/will be an overkill for me at this stage, I mean I have always loved car/racing games and I have basically only played with keyboard and my old Logitech DFP, but I would want something new now.

Since I am not a seasoned veteran in the sim environment I think the T500RS is the best option for me, I would love an Accuforce (who wouldn`t) but I am in the grayzone of how much playtime my wheel will get and thus the Accuforce might be to expensive considering possible hours spent, that is UNLESS it will last "forever" unlike any of the other wheels on the market today.

The T500RS comes with nice pedals as well though, that is a pluss.

I just have to ask though is there any indication that Thrustmaster is coming with something new soon?
I would hate it to order a T500RS and then see that a new wheel is coming out shortly after. I am not going to order it yet though, my guess is during the summer sometime if I get one.

My plan for now is to get the T500RS (or any other wheel in the same class) and skip the Accuforce, then invest in an adapter and get at least one extra rim for the T500RS that can be used along with the T500RS pedals which I understand is quite nice along side the Accuforce if I get it in the future when I know how many hours I actually put into a wheel and pedals set.

Yea was only F1 wheel. I took it apart, there was nothing visibly wrong with it, so i just disconnected all buttons except for directional buttons and paddle shifts, seems to be fine. Problem... band aided?:P

At least you won't be pressing wrong buttons, like Heikki in 2013 :) May be those are mechanically worn out (there's a spring and 2 metal plates inside a button, right? If spring is loose/broken + having in mind the wheel shakes/vibrates all the time - malfunction is easy)

This is the noise from my T500rs, had this about 18 months, its always been noisy like this when playing in GT6 and Grid Autosport, but now its even worse in Project Cars.
This video shows me driving slow in a Go kart.

I've had click-clack noise (not as loud as yours but though) + wrong wheel alignment on my TX RW before I re-calibrated it with TXRW_MotorCalib v.3.00 tool - found on the net. There's also older v.2.04 (links in comments below this video). On your own risk of course.

At least you won't be pressing wrong buttons, like Heikki in 2013 :) May be those are mechanically worn out (there's a spring and 2 metal plates inside a button, right? If spring is loose/broken + having in mind the wheel shakes/vibrates all the time - malfunction is easy)

Oh gosh darn, i was looking forward to practicing on Loiuse Goodman's nipples.

image.jpg

My T500RS clutch spring failed. I came up with this solution.

OK so all of the extra rims will fit on a t500? I thought they only worked on the t300

Question, If I get another rim and it has padles already on it, do I just remove the original t500 padles or how does that work?

Not sure all wheels but the 28GT, Ferrari GTE and the F1 Wheel do fit

you can remove the pedals very easy from the base if you want, but its not necessary
there is enough room between both shifters imho

Last edited:
The "dasboard" button boxes sadly don't work on PS3/PS4, only on PC.
I do hope Sony is going to fix that, because I am in desperate need for more buttons to assign in Project Cars...:banghead:

Yes, all wheel rims fit across the TX, T300 and T500....

In total Thrustmaster offers the following swappable rims:
  • TX stock 458 rim (diameter 28cm)
  • T500 stock GT rim (diameter 30cm, no paddle shifters)
  • T300RS stock "PS" rim (diameter 28cm)
  • Ferrari Challenge 458GTE rim (available separately or with the T300GTE, diameter 28cm)
  • Ferrari F1 rim (available separately, comes with flipper paddles like the real F1 car, diameter 28cm)
  • TM-28 (available separately, leather coated, diameter 28cm)

Edit: There are also two rim adapters to let you install after-market rims onto a Thrustmaster wheel... Including one which lets you use the buttons from the GTE rim but run a 30+cm diameter rim instead of the stock 28cm one.

You can find them listed in the OP of the T300 thread: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/thrustmaster-t300rs-racing-wheel-thread.311143/

I have been considering getting a wheel for quite some time and I am starting to wonder more and more about getting the T500RS.

Ideally I was thinking a bit about a Fanatec setup or might even skipping the whole idea for a while and save for an Accuforce, but after the Fanatec price hike they basically took themselves out of the picture as it would be to much for me to pay, and yes I know the Accuforce is even more expensive but in terms of build quality and durability that is how I feel.

However now I feel that the Accuforce might/will be an overkill for me at this stage, I mean I have always loved car/racing games and I have basically only played with keyboard and my old Logitech DFP, but I would want something new now.

Since I am not a seasoned veteran in the sim environment I think the T500RS is the best option for me, I would love an Accuforce (who wouldn`t) but I am in the grayzone of how much playtime my wheel will get and thus the Accuforce might be to expensive considering possible hours spent, that is UNLESS it will last "forever" unlike any of the other wheels on the market today.

The T500RS comes with nice pedals as well though, that is a pluss.

I just have to ask though is there any indication that Thrustmaster is coming with something new soon?
I would hate it to order a T500RS and then see that a new wheel is coming out shortly after. I am not going to order it yet though, my guess is during the summer sometime if I get one.

My plan for now is to get the T500RS (or any other wheel in the same class) and skip the Accuforce, then invest in an adapter and get at least one extra rim for the T500RS that can be used along with the T500RS pedals which I understand is quite nice along side the Accuforce if I get it in the future when I know how many hours I actually put into a wheel and pedals set.

I have had my T500RS since May 2012 and it is still going strong. I tried the Fanatec CSW for about a year between 2013 and 2014 and I ended up selling it and going back to the T500. The FFB is very strong and pretty smooth. It may not be as smooth as the TX or T300RS, both of which I also own, but it works for me. I had some USB connection issues a while ago, but they cleared up after I got a new motherboard. Buy the T500 with confidence.

I've had TM500RS Over a year. Also have the F1 wheel add on. No problems to report. It gets a fair bit of use.

I have heard of issues with the F1 wheel but im yet to suffer them.. guess if i have to pull.it apart I'll add the RPM lights while i was there.

20150529_205023.jpg

Wondering on owners comments regards the G28 rim.
How does it feel to a proper real car rim, is it wearing well and is he size good or just a bit too small?

Back