The Trick to Braking?

• Thread starter Max0r
  • 81 comments
Hey, guys, you know when you're in front of a turn, and that number by the Gear# pops up in red? Well, I know it tells you to slow down, but whats the actual NUMBER got to do with it?? Whats the difference, for examle, between a 2 and a 6?

That number tells you what gear you should be in.
The actual trick to braking is to pay attention to the braking markers and use them to gauge where you ought to brake.

Hey, guys, you know when you're in front of a turn, and that number by the Gear# pops up in red? Well, I know it tells you to slow down, but whats the actual NUMBER got to do with it?? Whats the difference, for examle, between a 2 and a 6?

Hey and what do you call this when your car iS rolling press R2 or L2 and the gear does not change why is that :confused:

Originally posted by Sparxxx
what are the breaking markers
If you look to the outside of the bend you're approaching (i.e. for a right hand bend, on the left side), there should be distance markers showing how far it is to the bend - use those to determine when you need to start braking.

I usually start braking when the light is flashing (next to gears), because the meaning of that number is the ideal gear to take the corner and when it is flashing, you're going too fast.
Best thing is to find the ideal gear for your own driving style, because some corners you can take up to two gears higher, but for some tight corners (certainly in auto) you can only take lower.

When approaching the turn go to the outside (a lengthy ways before you get to the turn). Brake in a straight line, this keeps the tires from locking. Go to the inside of the corner. If you find your still going a little fast add little bits of braking and let off the gas a little. What I do is I keep on the gas and brake a little if I go a little fast, or if I start going to fast I just lett of the gass a bit. When you exit the corner head to the ouside. This is if you are approaching a single corner. Your lines might have to change depending if there are more coners put together. Hope this helps...

Frustrated Palm Tree 🤬

BTW, tires can only do one thing at a time. You cant be hard on the brakes while turning hard, this will lock the wheels. Though you can turn slightly while braking hard without worrying about lock ups.

Frustrated Palm Tree 🤬

On Automatic Transmisson, hold one of the gear buttons to prevent the gear from changing. This is simply if you want the car to stay at a gear when coming to a turn.

Okay, I'm going to put on my Mod suit and merge this with the other 'Trick to Braking' thread, 'cos I'm getting confused.

brake early.... unless you have a light car with big brakes..:)

in the vertigo brake late to gain time on your oponents :)

the tires dont lock when the exceed 100% traction, they just cant do it and slide. If you are braking hard and trying to turn right, you will likely just go straight and hit a barrier or go off. The wheels never lock because all brakes in the game are ABS. That is why just smashing the brakes never has a concequence. It would be nice if in future gt games there was a possibility to disable ABS.

If you dont know what gear to be in for a turn i think you might be retarded. If a car is bogging down you will know it. Just go to a straight and shift through all of the gears. Take note where each gear drops the revs on the next highest gear. Try not to let revs drop below this. Sometimes though, if the section will be over quickly a downshift would be a waste as it stops power to the wheels for a small moment.

I have also noticed that I almost never use first gear. That corner in complex string is probably the only one. I dont use TCS so first gear would usually be hard to grip the ground with(depending on car), even while feathering the gas. Second gear for slow corners provides enough torque to the wheels. Revs get high enough quickly anyways.

BTW, It would also be nice if in the next gt there would be dyno charts to represent the hp at the rpm, so you could see where maximum torque is and best determine when a car should be shifted. Like in gt2.

frusterated palm, your tire explaination is kind of right. I think this is better:

A tire can never exceed 100% traction. Depending on how hard you break, you will use a certain percentage of a tires traction. Depending on how hard you accelerate, you will use a certain percentage of your tires traction. Depending on how hard you turn the wheels, you will use a certain percentage of a tires traction. If you add the percentages up, they can never exceed 100%. Its just not possible to keep traction if this happens. If they do, you will slide.

You can break very hard and try to turn slightly. You can turn very hard and try to break slightly. But you can not try to break and try to turn very hard at the same time(unless your tires are very good or your brakes are very very bad, hehe). You will exceed 100% of the tires traction. If you ever try to use over 100% of the tires traction, you will see smoke and your tires will slide.

Acceleration isnt talked about because you can rarely use 100% of your traction accelerating(except in low gears), or you are rarely accelerating hard while turning. You are usually mostly through a turn before you accelerate.

I cant remember where I read this, but I think my recollection of it is fairly accurate.

ving, youre supposed to break as late as possible while still getting a good exit from the turn. You can also think of the turn layout to plan an attack on it. If there is a lot of straight after a turn, it will be important to get a good exit. Because any mph higher you have on the exit, you will carry for the whole straight. If there isnt a lot of straight after a turn you should try to go into it as fast as possible while still not having too slow of an exit.

Basically you can go slow in, fast out. Or fast in, slow out. You should choose the way you want to do a turn based on the exhistence of a straight after the corner or not. Example, on the last turn of tokyo r246, you would definately want to go slow in fast out. If you can make an exit for that corner at 3 mph faster than another turning plan, you will be going 3mph faster for the WHOLE straight. Each second for the straight you are a faster speed at, you pull away.

The key to turning my young asians is this you simply slow down (now this means take you thumb OFF the X not on OFF). Then in this process you start turning by pressing the left button. If it is a doosy of a turn you might need to give the brake a little tap tap here and there along the bend. Good luck my fellow Gooky gamers!

as i sit here on my chair i wonder...how come that guy in FMJ hasn't had a stroke and died yet....if someone would like to share there concerned for this old man please reply+

zeroly32 change your icon u poser lol. matt, seriouly. HAHAHA..... ANYWAY... back to the topic.... thanks for all the help guys, and thank you, zeroly32, for that simple explaination... i think this threads gonna get locked by a mod now lol.

Yes Advan I read the book too :lol:

OK quit confusing the poor man. This is what you do. Try not to turn hard while braking hard. You will skid. Plus your wheels will lock up even with ABS. Brake in straight lines on the outside of the straight before the turn. Braking early when going fast is a must as well. When you get to the turn take the inside.

a wheel losking up means the brakes have stopped the wheels from moving. this only happens in the game when you hit the e brake, then its only for the rear wheels.

Back