The Trick to Braking?

• Thread starter Max0r
  • 81 comments
Actually all four lock up. ABS is for keeping traction. But if your car is sliding down a hill they will lock up, or if your going 150 MPH and want to stop and turn at the same time.

no they dont. explain to me what would cause the wheels to stop turning.

and no, sorry the emergency brak locks the rear wheels only. NOT all four.

I'm glad to see we have some new blood around, but please keep the off-topic posts to a minimum, at least on the boards with a specific topic such as this one. If you want to goof around (or slowchat, which is highly frowned upon) , go to The Rumble Strip and do it there, please.

On the subject of the original post:

1) The little red number is the suggested gear for the upcoming turn (as numerous people have said). It flashes when you reach the suggested braking point for the turn (not really to tell you that you're going too fast).

2) The emergency brake affects only the rear wheels, but it is possible to lock up all four using the regular brakes. TCS/ABS will help avoid this, particularly at higher settings, but it will substantially decrease your braking power and move your braking points way up.

3) "Slow In, Fast Out" is 100% correct, and whoever made the point about the front straight at R246 was spot on.

Hope this helps, and welcome to GTP, guys!

Seriously, it varies.

In general, Mile is right. But as the physics of GT3 defy logic, slow then fast is not always the case.

If you are interested in maintaining online racing legal lines and the best times, you have to set your car to be a bit loose and take advantage of the rumble strip. Not just to ride on a bit before and out of corners, but to change direction. Sometimes you will simply lift a bit and let the car slide a bit, using a rumble strip to coax your car to the desired position. So sometimes you may be going against the traditional enter from the outside, clip the apex, exit on the outside rule, or just go through the steps much tighter than you might expect.

Originally posted by advanR
no they dont. explain to me what would cause the wheels to stop turning.

and no, sorry the emergency brak locks the rear wheels only. NOT all four.

Yes they do. I was in a car accadent a few years ago with my Aunt. There was ABS but the wheels locked up. We were sliding down a hill. Plus ABS is to keep traction on uneven surfaces or slippery ones. When your racing you can go too fast. Its in every racing manual that allows ABS systems in the car.

Originally posted by Frustrated Palm
Yes they do. I was in a car accadent a few years ago with my Aunt. There was ABS but the wheels locked up. We were sliding down a hill. Plus ABS is to keep traction on uneven surfaces or slippery ones.
If the real car's ABS system was functioning properly (assuming it was all wheel ABS, not just rears like some trucks and SUVs have), then the wheels should not have locked up.

The ABS system modulates the front tires separately and the rears together, and brakes as hard as it can without locking the wheel up. However, most are pretty conservative, and so they increase stopping distances fairly dramatically (even without lockup), though they still maintain steering control for the driver.

Wheels always lock up. ABS or no ABS. Even if they do work properly. Any racer and race instructer will tell you that. ABS tries to prevent it but things can be too much. ABS only helps, it doesnt prevent.

OK, so i think the trick to braking is to do a few laps and find your own rhythm. I personally brake late, so i have a strong brake balance set.

if anyone downloaded X's video, you can see that his Motorsport Elise's wheels locked up. you can ask him yourself, or just try it and look at the replay. it may be interesting.

i think the trick to braking is to tap the button slightly when you get close to a corner and then slightly press hard on the button once you get close to the point of turning in the corner.

that helped me when i was running the Seattle Enduro. it chopped down my time and my tire wear.

i hope i didn't confuse anybody by saying that

zeroly, how'd you know we're all asians?!?! :confused:

you may be right though about being able to lock brakes in gt3. i dont know what the crazy software engineers decided to put in there. i just say if abs is working properly in real life that the wheels will not lock.

But as long as we can keep the discussion civil i dont know why we shouldnt continue.

i have a question for you. when you lock the wheels up in gt3, and then you try to turn, does it work? i mean do the wheels suddenly start turning again? if they didnt then i dont think you could make the turn, you would just keep going straight. I dont argue that you may be able to smoke the wheels a little bit while braking, i just dont think the wheels stay locked. hence what ABS does. keeping the wheels from staying locked so you may change direction of the car. maybe the programmers just put the tires smoking in for effect, like the glowing brake discs. its kind of funny because you can make the discs glow on the vitz, haha.

what do you think?

Well ABS is to keep the car from spinning and stuff on uneven surfaces. Say your right side was on dry pavement and your left wheels were on wet pavement. ABS keeps the car on track when braking. On the other hand, without ABS when you tried to brake you would spin. Also, if you were driving down a road with a prett steep hill on the side and you acadentally went off (front first) the ABS might lock anyway. Thats why survival experts tell you to pump the brake when going down a hill. I agree that in Normal driving, ABS wont lock up, but in racing it happens.

i think you might misunderstand what abs is. it simply rapidly pumps the brake calipers by computer when you brake hard. it does this to keep them from locking. if a cars brakes locks than it skids and you cant change the cars direction, for instance you cant swerve around something.

i have never heard of people pumping abs brakes. you are supposed to pump non abs brakes so they wont lock. because if they lock your screwed. with abs brakes you must keep your foot planted.

abs stands for antilock braking system. thats all it does. i havent heard of it doing any of the things that you describe.

No I meant pumping the breaks when in an emergency like sliding down a hill (not a road). I have the book in front of me. And I knew what it stood for. They even tell you these things at racing school. Under normal driving ABS works normall but racing conditions are a little different. The car gets hotter, faster speed, etc etc....

Maybe we should just stop talking about this ABS thing altogether since we will never get to a conclusion. This could turn ugly if someone else starts raving too.....

To hell with ABS: Brake skill is trying to bring a racing kart from 55mph to 15 in the space of 40 feet with a single rear rotor and no ABS. You can't pump the brakes.

Back