The Trump Impeachment Thread

• Thread starter Dotini
  • 2,103 comments

Will the current Articles of Impeachment ever be sent from the House to the Senate?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I believe it was yesterday that the president gave a speech indicating that he would do it all over again, and threatened congress over impeachment. This is an on-going situation, not a resolved one.
This is why I believe he will still be impeached even if it occurs after the 20th. The impeachment would take care of one factor in 2024, and that is to prevent Trump from running for office again (if he's still eligible otherwise).

Last edited:
I believe it was yesterday that the president gave a speech indicating that he would do it all over again, and threatened congress over impeachment. This is an on-going situation, not a resolved one.
Oh absolutely, that's why the impeachment needs to continue. But as for invoking the 25th, they thought too hard. They should've done it that day, the precedent was obvious as hell. Sometimes in extreme situations, I find, it's actually better to not think about what you're doing and go with your gut. All of us on the outside were screaming for the 25th and we were right but Pence dilly dallied and now we have to settle for impeachment, which should continue. Pelosi gave him the ultimatum, she's doing what she said she would.

Oh absolutely, that's why the impeachment needs to continue. But as for invoking the 25th, they thought too hard. They should've done it that day, the precedent was obvious as hell. Sometimes in extreme situations, I find, it's actually better to not think about what you're doing and go with your gut. All of us on the outside were screaming for the 25th and we were right but Pence dilly dallied and now we have to settle for impeachment, which should continue. Pelosi gave him the ultimatum, she's doing what she said she would.

Pence could invoke the 25th based on yesterday's speech. Or after consideration. There is no reason to think that it does not apply now. I can see why it might have been better to do it sooner, but it is absolutely appropriate now, or tomorrow. None of that precludes ongoing impeachment though, we should be doing both.

Last edited:
Seems info is coming out that there are GOP members who support impeachment, but are afraid for their lives/families if they say yes.

Seems info is coming out that there are GOP members who support impeachment, but are afraid for their lives/families if they say yes.

Looks like things haven't changed. Like someone else said, it's ironic that people who yuugely largely voted for a president on the issue of abortion are facing the consequences of getting into bed with people they maybe shouldn't've.

Rep. Peter Meijer: Some Republican representatives felt pressured to try and overturn the results of the PA and AZ votes because they felt their families were in danger if they voted to certify.

https://reason.com/2021/01/08/amash-successor-peter-meijer-trumps-deceptions-are-rankly-unfit/

Last edited:

I still do not think the Senate will convict (if there's time for it to go that far) even though they should have done the first time.

But he had more supporters back then, he did not encite mob rule.

Last edited:
But he had more supporters back then, he did not encite mob rule.
Assuming every Democratic senator votes to convict, which isn't really a reach, that conviction requires a two-thirds majority in the Senate...or 17 Republicans. There are 435 voting members in the house and only ten voted to impeach.

I just don't see the GOP coming out for this. They're broken toys.

I predict 2-3 will vote for conviction.
I think it's right around there as well. Is that just a guess at a number or have you counted those who you think may?

Romney is a lock. I'm pretty sure Murkowski is right there as well. Toomey could flip on his approval of an impeachment attempt. Sasse had stern words but I don't know if he can be counted on for conviction.

McConnell's word is nothing. I don't expect anything from him personally on a conviction and I don't put any stock in his ability to sway additional senators.

Last edited:
I think it's right around there as well. Is that just a guess at a number or have you counted those who you think may?

Romney is a lock. I'm pretty sure Murkowski is right there as well. Toomey could flip on his approval of an impeachment attempt. Sasse had stern words but I don't know if he can be counted on for conviction.

McConnell's word is nothing. I don't expect anything from him personally on a conviction and I don't put any stock in his ability to sway additional senators.
See, the fact that the vote may not come until after the Inauguration might be against Trump. He could still be held liable if there is more violence during the next week. On top of that, if he immediately flees the country come the 21st, I can't imagine that will help earn support.

See, the fact that the vote may not come until after the Inauguration might be against Trump. He could still be held liable if there is more violence during the next week. On top of that, if he immediately flees the country come the 21st, I can't imagine that will help earn support.
The latter seems a little far-fetched (it's me saying that, mind). Honestly, I think it's been decided already and a trial is just a formality and an opportunity for the overwhelming majority of the GOP to say, "we're still with Trump."

Just a quick guess. I'm betting the same for Romney and Murkowski, and left room for another.

Their words don't really mean anything, so all the other others are wildcards unless they are forever trumpers.

Assuming every Democratic senator votes to convict, which isn't really a reach, that conviction requires a two-thirds majority in the Senate...or 17 Republicans. There are 435 voting members in the house and only ten voted to impeach.

I just don't see the GOP coming out for this. They're broken toys.

Some House Republicans who want impeachment might’ve felt safe voting against it to please their voters, since it was definitely gonna go through thanks to the Democratic majority.

There’s a bit more moral pressure on Senate Republicans to do the right thing. I’m not super optimistic about it (they’re still Republicans after all), but I think there’s a chance.

Accidental self-own.
It's also a pretty **** take...which...yeah, that's not terribly surprising given the source.

At the time of that tweet, there had been half the number of presidential impeachments as there have been now; one for Bill Clinton and one for Andrew Johnson.

Slick Willy is an obvious one. He lied under oath during grand jury testimony and he both obstructed justice himself and gave orders to others to obstruct justice. I was for impeachment and disappointed that he wasn't convicted, despite having voted for him the first time around. Deplorable? Sure.

Andrew Johnson isn't so obvious. Though there were numerous charges against Johnson, the primary cause for impeachment was his violation of the Tenure of Office Act, which would [unconstitutionally] prohibit him from dismissing a member of his cabinet, specifically his Secretary of War, Edwin Stanton, for whose protection the act was explicitly drafted and passed--it was a trap. While my own political and social views mean I'm not particularly fond of Johnson's positions and policies, the case for his impeachment was a turd. Deplorable? Sure. Deplorable because he was impeached? Swing and a miss.

Last edited:
Back