The Unofficial GT6 VS Project Cars Debate Thread (Read the Rules!)

• Thread starter FoRiZon
  • 400 comments

How do you feel to both games?

• PCars sucks. GT is the best!

• PCars is cool but GT is better.

• Both are cool.

• GT is cool but PCars is better

• GT sucks. PCars is the best!

Results are only viewable after voting.
All PCars graphics are doing is making me salivate for GT7.
I said PCars sucks only because there are no regular sports cars. It's all race cars.
And yet it's not.
If PCars is like... Need For Speed Shift 3 (same developer), it means its terrible.
It's not...so I guess it's not.

Personally I will just repeat what I said in another thread.

If GT want's to trade on its looks and car count then on those two bases its still top of the pile.

However if its physics, feel, AI, single player experience, replicating how race events actually work and range of options then PC walks all over GT.

My first season in the Clio Cup championship on P Cars, with FWD physics that actually replicate how FWD cars behave (GT has never managed this), practice sessions, qualifying, tyres that actually behave like tyres and react to temperature and weather conditions as tyres should, a sprit race and a main race with mandatory pit stops, throw in AI that can both be scaled and doesn't just follow the line. Oh and you actually have to manage the start yourself (not just rolling starts to mask screwed up low speed physics), which while a small change is a brilliant one.

All of that provided more enjoyment and better physics that I found in my entire time with GT5 and GT6.

On a few specific points others have mentioned I would rate the weight transfer and suspension modelling in P Cars far higher than that of GT, mainly because its an area GT is not good in, in particular FWD and RR cars simply do not behave as they should in GT.

As far as track modelling goes I've had the advantage of driving a number of the UK tracks in reality and all are extremely well modeled.

For me GT7 is going to need to up its game a significant amount to even get on the list as currently P Cars is more than enough for a sim and DC more than enough for a pretty arcade run.

Doesn't matter you can still compare them as long as you keep that consideration in mind, and older generations don't mean that a title is not comparable, after all both Enthusia and Richard Burns Rally had physics engine elements that still are not in GT or FM.

I haven't even played PCars and don't have any desire to purchase it until it goes on sale or something, but I don't see much reason to compare the two games since GT is mainly a "buy a stock car and build your own racer" type of game, where-as PCars is a "here's a bunch of race cars, have fun" type of game. Unless I missed something.

I haven't even played PCars and don't have any desire to purchase it until it goes on sale or something, but I don't see much reason to compare the two games since GT is mainly a "buy a stock car and build your own racer" type of game, where-as PCars is a "here's a bunch of race cars, have fun" type of game. Unless I missed something.
Progression in the two is very different that is certainly true, however that doesn't stop comparisons. Structure of the events within the progression can be compared, as can physics, as can track and car modelling, as can audio.

No reason at all that these can't form the basis of comparisons.

Progression in the two is very different that is certainly true, however that doesn't stop comparisons. Structure of the events within the progression can be compared, as can physics, as can track and car modelling, as can audio.

No reason at all that these can't form the basis of comparisons.
Eh, maybe I should have worded that to say that I personally don't compare them as I prefer GT's style of build your own racer gameplay.

I still prefer GT6. C'mon they got imports. Pcars is all about european racecars, that's nice and all, but I really don't care for them, I'd much rather have a cool Japanese or Murican muscle car and jack them up to suit my taste, be that drifting or just looking silly.
That's all I'm gonna say, I don't wanna piss off the purists anymore lol

I cannot vote as I have only played GT6. Right now I'm just glad that I resisted the initial hype for Project CARS. The dust seems to have settled somewhat as people now have developed more nuanced opinions on the game. So without having played it, I get the impression that Project CARS is mostly about proper offline racing and progression with a sense of achievement. Two things that GT6 doesn't have but then it has so much else that makes it a highly relevant alternative, and in some cases a better one. Take this outside perspective with a grain of salt, but at this point I don't see enough reasons to substitute / complement GT6 just yet.

I cannot vote as I have only played GT6. Right now I'm just glad that I resisted the initial hype for Project CARS. The dust seems to have settled somewhat as people now have developed more nuanced opinions on the game. So without having played it, I get the impression that Project CARS is mostly about proper offline racing and progression with a sense of achievement. Two things that GT6 doesn't have but then it has so much else that makes it a highly relevant alternative, and in some cases a better one. Take this outside perspective with a grain of salt, but at this point I don't see enough reasons to substitute / complement GT6 just yet.
That's pretty much the case. In addition, pCARS has a very poor sense of progression that, to me, makes the career mode significantly less worthwhile. Why play the career mode and force myself to go through a long series of races that I may or may not enjoy when I could simply hop into Arcade Mode, pick whatever car I want, and customize the race absolutely 100% to my liking? It doesn't make any sense.

So heres the breakdown:

GT6 side: "Both are cool"
PCars side: "GT sucks. PCars is the best!"
Yes. The truth.

See its sub forum.

That whole sub-forum can be rather toxic, though it isn't as bad as the WMD Forum.

Different games have different communities of varying quality, in doing comparisons I always hold the community associated with said game as important, and Gran Turismo has always had a great community.

How does PCars run on a machine with the following specs
Single core 3.2HHz processor
256MB Ram
and a 256MB Graphics card....?
Lag ahoy.

You'd better go with RFactor 1 or 2.

That whole sub-forum can be rather toxic, though it isn't as bad as the WMD Forum.

Different games have different communities of varying quality, in doing comparisons I always hold the community associated with said game as important, and Gran Turismo has always had a great community.
I always wondered if people on that PCars subforum are a pack of peoples who genuinely hates PD now, which I understand and should have been a note to PD. Especially with the extensive communication and such.

However, I also had a fair of a disdain considering the spam and harassment towards GT players (Not only on GTP and no offense), which might turn off some of people.

Project Cars to me feels like a better version of Forza and what GT should be in terms of physics and engine sounds. Maybe not cars and tracks though.

Didn't get the reference to those being the specs for a PS3......?
We may aswell compare GT6 with Test Drive 3
I was going to mention this too, that you can't compare a PS3-dedicated game to one not limited to 8 year old technology. It's obvious that PCars looks better; the lack of street cars, however, is why I'm not purchasing it. If there's upcoming DLC for modern(or classic, one can only dream) street/sports cars that aren't hypercars, then I will be picking it up.

@NUNOpt and GT6 graphics despite being on a very old machine feel more natural and photorealistic than some of those new PC games that are supposed to have the ultimate graphics. You look the last GT6 pic and you think "this might be a real life photo" but you dont think the same for the PCars ones... you easily spot that are videogame captures.

That's something I've always noticed/thought about when it comes to GT5's and GT6's graphics. Games like PCars have much better graphics, but something about them that I can't really describe just seems to make them... artificial; you can tell they're from a video game by how it looks rather than the details (graphical detail, etc.). However, the lighting and everything in GT5 and GT6 just makes it seem like its real, even if graphics aren't as great/ you overlook the flaws (i.e. square sun, pixellated clouds).

Remember guys, this thread isnt only talks about the graphics or AI count. So the console generation plays a much smaller part here.

Nevermind about Quality versus Quantity. I think they are two separate genres altogether. Gran Turismo may be 'The Ultimate Driving Simulator', and the majority would believe that's the case. But PCARS is not a driving simulator, it's a racing simulator.

I don't have PCARS at the moment, and was reluctant to vote. But, because I really wanted to see the results, I said GT is cool, but PCARS is better. Maybe not as a whole, but for what I want as a Playstation game, PCARS is the one.

It's very hard for me to enjoy offline in GT. There is no AI, and there is no sense of achievement. And, even playing the game for a handful of months, I've barely progressed through the pointless career mode. Some may find just driving to be the fun bit, but, for me, that gets a bit tedious over time. I can't enjoy online at all either. Every time I try find a lobby, an hour would be wasted looking for a room and reloading my PS3 because of those constant diconnections and freezes. I can only play online sometimes as well, because lag will dominate if anyone else is using the Internet at the same time. Then I can't enjoy over ten cars, because of lag. Then pointless updates are given, so I can't go online until I've sorted them. Anyways, enough with the rant! Online may be good, but it's not an option for all of us. And I do think online is the only way I could enjoy this game for a long time.

PCARS offers offline fun, though. Actual immersive races, proper endurance racing, an AI... It seems that it's a game that will immerse you into real life racing. I'd imagine it's a much better version of GRID:AS, and that's what I want.

From the sound of it, GT may have the better physics. But that's all thrown out of the window when wrestling my car around the outside of another loud V8 around La Source.

How does PCars run on a machine with the following specs
Single core 3.2HHz processor
256MB Ram
and a 256MB Graphics card....?
Backwards:sly:
I can't see how you can compare two games on two generations of console. I just can't
Why not? It happens all the time with GT1-6. In fact, GT4 usually gets the most rave reviews in spite of being on a system that is less powerful than a microchip in a coffee maker these days. I don't see why we can't compare things like how the career(s) are structured, physics, audio, force feedback, atmosphere, tuning, accuracy of the car models etc.

Never ever judge a game just for its graphics. Never.
Its a typical common fault of today's gamers. Very sad.

...yet on the same page:

@NUNOpt and GT6 graphics despite being on a very old machine feel more natural and photorealistic than some of those new PC games that are supposed to have the ultimate graphics. You look the last GT6 pic and you think "this might be a real life photo" but you dont think the same for the PCars ones... you easily spot that are videogame captures.

Offline career aside [in GT4], GT6 is miles better though.

That's certainly a selective comparison: "the entire game aside, GT6 is better." :lol:

If you still have a working PS2 you would like to play GT4 again to realise that the gameplay and car handling feels very primitive.

The gameplay in GT4 is great. The physics were a notable weak-spot even back then (GT4 being an understeery mess in general), but the gameplay still holds up quite well. It's a far cry from the condescending start you're thrown into when you first load up GT6. I replayed GT's 1 through 4 leading up to 6's release, and they all still have charm. GT4 also still manages to feel massive.

PCars is better when it comes to the actual racing, and THAT is what matters.

...matters to some. I totally get the appeal of GT's massive encyclopedia approach, and the (limited) tuning/customization options.

Though I will say I can't imagine those who do place the actual racing high on their priority list would ever pick GT6 over PCARS, as GT6 is quite possibly the worst in the series when it comes to the act of "racing".

My biggest gripe with GT is there aren't enough cars and tracks... guess which one I would vote for....

Heh, mine too, sort of: there aren't enough interesting or unique cars, there's so many near-duplicates to wade through! ;)

I've still got, oh, 10 or so hours before I'll have PCARS in my hands, so the safe answer for now: I feel like they'll both have their strengths and weaknesses. I'm not heavy into the super-serious sim side of things now, or hunting for those last few thousandths of a second on a hot lap, but I'm intrigued by PCARS' promise of a more focused approach. GT continuing to ignore the finer details of racing means there's enough room on the market for both (hopefully). I'm also seriously impressed by the track list of PCARS, so that gets it some serious points for me.

I maintain that players who proclaim any allegiances to any particular franchise are the ones truly missing out. You know what the best option is? Playing them both.

Why not? It happens all the time with GT1-6. In fact, GT4 usually gets the most rave reviews in spite of being on a system that is less powerful than a microchip in a coffee maker these days. I don't see why we can't compare things like how the career(s) are structured, physics, audio, force feedback, atmosphere, tuning, accuracy of the car models etc.

Comparing games from different generation consoles from the same studio is one thing, but comparing different games from different studios across platform generations is another. It's like comparing a '63 Corvette to a Pagani Huayra. Different technologies from different time periods. Or how about comparing Schumacher to Fangio?

Which also makes me say, it's interesting how people compare games to GT but I rarely see any other games compared to each other. How about Forza 5 to PCars? Or Drive Club to Assetto Corsa? Whether you agree or not, all this proves to me is that GT is (or was) considered the defacto standard for all driving simulators by the majority of fans.

Comparing games from different generation consoles from the same studio is one thing, but comparing different games from different studios across platform generations is another. It's like comparing a '63 Corvette to a Pagani Huayra. Different technologies from different time periods. Or how about comparing Schumacher to Fangio?

Which also makes me say, it's interesting how people compare games to GT but I rarely see any other games compared to each other. How about Forza 5 to PCars? Or Drive Club to Assetto Corsa? Whether you agree or not, all this proves to me is that GT is (or was) considered the defacto standard for all driving simulators by the majority of fans.
Lol no.

Better comparison would be 1980 Supercars vs 2010 Supercars. Both has its own faults and advantages.

Sure, the new ones is more high tech. However its up to you on which do you enjoy most.

Like I said, graphics and AI count does not constitute the whole game. Car list, AI Behavior, sound etc.

Last edited:
Maybe 'cause you're on GTPlanet, no ? :gtpflag:

Because there are other places on the web where people compare iRacing to Assetto Corsa or rFactor. And they don't give a 🤬 about GT.

Back