The Wagons Only Thread [Please See First Post!]

• Thread starter E RaK
  • 1,462 comments
ebay109174.jpg

*heavy breathing*

That's ultimately the setup I want. I tried to find a V60 when I was looking for a new car, but no one buys the V60 in Utah so there's no used market. I could've gone to Colorado, but bringing an out of state car into Utah is a pain in the ass.

This is the station wagon I grew up in, the 1965 Mercury Commuter. Ours was a pale yellow. It was the first new car my parents bought. Although it's a '65, they actually got it in 1966. My mom asked for the wagon with the biggest engine they had. They had a 390 left over from the '65 model year and were willing to make a deal. 1966 was the first year of Ford's brilliant "Magic Door Gate" tailgate that could be opened like a normal tailgate but also like a regular door. That was a huge success for Ford, so the leftover '65s that didn't have them suddenly became a lot harder to move. My dad got a great deal and my mom drove that wagon for the next 15 years. They finally replaced it with a Mercury Zephyr Z7 coupe because us kids were all grown up by then and she didn't need a wagon.

Yup, and it's still a fine wagon. However, I don't like what Mercury did with the front end on those and the Cyclone from that year.
I can appreciate that, but I personally love the beak; it's just the right amount of quirky to make it stand out from the rest of the pack. I prefer it as used on the Cyclone, with the gunsight piece, but the Montego's version is just fine.

This is the station wagon I grew up in, the 1965 Mercury Commuter. Ours was a pale yellow. It was the first new car my parents bought. Although it's a '65, they actually got it in 1966. My mom asked for the wagon with the biggest engine they had. They had a 390 left over from the '65 model year and were willing to make a deal. 1966 was the first year of Ford's brilliant "Magic Door Gate" tailgate that could be opened like a normal tailgate but also like a regular door. That was a huge success for Ford, so the leftover '65s that didn't have them suddenly became a lot harder to move. My dad got a great deal and my mom drove that wagon for the next 15 years. They finally replaced it with a Mercury Zephyr Z7 coupe because us kids were all grown up by then and she didn't need a wagon.
Continuing the wagon stories, my mother’s first ever car was a 1977 AMC Hornet wagon. I have no idea what options it had but all she told me was that it looked like this example but less prestine:
upload_2020-1-21_7-55-11.jpeg

upload_2020-1-21_7-55-45.jpeg

She said it would startup every winter morning even if it was -20F outside.

Back