The Xbox One Thread - One X & One SXBOne 

• Thread starter Robin
  • 5,072 comments
If this used game blocking actually happens, then i see game sales dropping to be honest. People may end up borrowing/renting them out more before buying.

Its a seriously stupid idea no matter what 'good' could possibly come out of it.

As someone who has all 3 consoles in my home I will not be getting all 3 next time around.

My son will probably have Wii u for Christmas.
That leaves either the PS 4 or Xbox 3.
Now I've read many posts about how I bought a PS3 for GT. I'm a person who likes the racing genre. Will I be buying a PS4 for GT6? No chance. History dictates that T10 have improved every version. PD are up and down and I'm not prepared to gamble.

Only one other circumstance can play an important factor. Wheel compatibility. Im not confident about Xbox allowing previous control systems to work. It's got Kinnect 2 built in as not to piss off kinect owners. If my Fanatec gets crippled I'm pretty certain PS will run it.

You will end up buying all consoles again, don't fight it, it's stronger then you :-). I am in the same boat as you are. I love racing genre and I end up buy x360 for Forza, and Ps3 for GT5 + g25, then turbo S with CSP, then CSR Elite.

Right now I have a small child ( 1 year old), so buying all consoles will take some time, mainly depending who gets racing game out first, gets my money :-)

Lawyers may give it some credibility but actually using the name 'Xbox 720' on the documents sounds bogus to me because MS would never use that silly internet created name internally plus the artwork is far too fanboyish and anime esque... have you seen Sony's 'drawn in paint' patent drawings :lol:, that's what corporate official looks like.

Lawyers may give it some credibility but actually using the name 'Xbox 720' on the documents sounds bogus to me because MS would never use that silly internet created name internally plus the artwork is far too fanboyish and anime esque... have you seen Sony's 'drawn in paint' patent drawings :lol:, that's what corporate official looks like.

Yeah, everyone seems to be assuming it'll be the 720, presumably because 360x2= 720... :lol:

E28
Yeah, everyone seems to be assuming it'll be the 720, presumably because 360x2= 720... :lol:

Its SOOO not going to be called that its borderline hilarious! :lol:

I'm telling people, its going to be called Xbox Infinity (sideways 8) and the codename is Durango.

XBOX 720 isn't an Internet created name. It comes from the "XBOX 720" advertisement seen in the movie "Real Steel."

Um, the Xbox 720 name was coined by the internet community years and years before the Real Steel movie came out in 2011! You really think people didn't think of that prior to 2011? People were calling the next one '720' in 2006.

Last edited:
I do have a feeling that the Nextbox will be more powerful than the PS4 by a small amount due to the fact that Sony is in a very bad financial state and Microsoft are not.

Also I read a post here that the 360 and PS3 took years to earn a profit. This is not true for the 360. Two reasons for the lack of profit on the PS3 for so long was the Blu-Ray Drive and the stupid "8 core" processor (I have no idea why sony went down that route with the processor).

Last edited:
Caz
I agree. Wasn't there something about this a while back?

Yes, there was a source that said because MS is branding everything 8 (Windows 8, Windows Phone 8 etc) that the Xbox would also carry the '8' because its going to run Windows RT and the Metro UI.

Obviously just calling it 8 would be slightly silly so it would be a sideways 8 which is the mathematical symbol for Infinity therefore becoming two meanings and an excellent name in my opinion.

Microsoft applies for scalable console patent

A recent patent filing suggests that Microsoft's next console is based on the idea that it can be scaled up - or down - over time, leading to speculation that the current notion of a console lifecycle could be replaced with rolling hardware upgrades.

In the same way that PCs today are built around core components like motherboards, PSUs, RAM modules, and expansion cards, Microsoft is proposing its own "base architecture" for scalable console hardware going forward. Multiple models are considered (perhaps suggesting some level of customisation between OEMs) but all are based around principles we first saw in the 720 leak. For starters, this is a multi-CPU, multi-GPU system. One CPU/GPU combo is reserved for the "platform" and handles elements such as the dashboard and video encoding/decoding. The other element is the "application" aspect - which for a console would mostly cover games.

Credit/Read more at: Eurogamer

Dunno whether I like that. The simplicity of consoles is, in my opinion, a good selling point. You take an Xbox 360 game, put the disc in and play. No need to worry about hardware specs, everything will run just like that.

Scalable hardware might solve the issues of stagnant technology, but it might kill this sort of simplicity. Then again, if they're doing it like Nintendo did with the Expansion Pak, then I'd actually kinda like it - if it's only used once or twice to refresh the console throughout its life cycle. Which, in that case, could easily be ten or more years before the fourth Xbox hits.

I do not like the sound of that at all with the upgradable hardware. I dont PC game anymore so I can avoid having to "upgrade" every year or 2. If they do that with the console, thats a terrble sign imo. Might go back to PC gaming if that happens.

It's potentially a good idea, they don't have to stuff it with cutting edge tech (and the associated expense) at release to ensure a long lifetime.

There would be a case one day, when a new game released, and the console without an upgrade would lose something in graphic quality or simply not playable, that would be like PC gaming, heavy games need better upgrades, this will somehow affect games sales, not many would spend more just to play some games better - even more so if the game is a racing game, but I'm sure FPS, RPG or action games would greatly benefit from this.

The nature of such scalability itself would pose an issue, will it be consumer upgradable, or only authorized shops could do, how about warranty of the said upgrades ? If the cost is minimal or similar with a new release game, many would take the upgrade. I sure hope there won't be multiple level of upgrade in every 1 or 2 years for RAM and GPU or even CPU :ill:

As I said, it depends entirely on how it's done. Add some 50$ worth of RAM after two years and some additional CPU/GPU unit after five years for 100$, and I would like this idea.

Just... You know, just don't turn a console into a PC. If it's as simple as buying the MS CPU Pak and sliding it into a slot, fine. If there are dozens of manufacturers for Xbox graphics cards of various levels, what's the point of buying a console in the first place?

Luminis
As I said, it depends entirely on how it's done. Add some 50$ worth of RAM after two years and some additional CPU/GPU unit after five years for 100$, and I would like this idea.

Just... You know, just don't turn a console into a PC. If it's as simple as buying the MS CPU Pak and sliding it into a slot, fine. If there are dozens of manufacturers for Xbox graphics cards of various levels, what's the point of buying a console in the first place?

Agreed. It's a great idea if it is an extremely simple system of slide this in here until it clicks and then slide this here. There can't be any rewiring or anything like that.

Also all games even at the very end of the console cycle should be playable on the first stock build of the console. You can't have system requirements on a console. The only system requirements for a console should be: console, TV, and power. I do wonder if for that reason alone it may turn some developers off the console if the start having to meet different hardware specs.

Also all games even at the very end of the console cycle should be playable on the first stock build of the console.
I agree very much with this. But, having, say, two different graphic "modes" for a game seems entirely possible. The stock version of the console could run a game at 30 FPS with 4x anti aliasing and max out at 720p. With the upgrade, it might run at 60FPS, 16x anti aliasing and 1080p.

Just some random numbers, obviously, but that'd be the best solution, I'd think...

Luminis
I agree very much with this. But, having, say, two different graphic "modes" for a game seems entirely possible. The stock version of the console could run a game at 30 FPS with 4x anti aliasing and max out at 720p. With the upgrade, it might run at 60FPS, 16x anti aliasing and 1080p.

Just some random numbers, obviously, but that'd be the best solution, I'd think...

Yeah that'd work but games definitely have to run at a minimum of 30 fps no matter if your running the very original hardware or the most recent upgrade version.

I would think that that would be in the developer's and MS's best interest, yeah. Should be fairly possible to keep a steady 30 FPS if everything else can be scaled down as well.

Especially since we're not talking about entirely new hardware - therefore, the increase in processing power shouldn't be that big.

History repeating itself. Sega did this for years and it eventually destroyed their console sales and any trust the buying public had in their product.

This generation I will NOT buy all 3 consoles. I will probably stick with Xbox and get a gaming PC. Of course I will want to buy GT6 but Forza has really stepped up since Forza 2 (Forza 1 is still the best). I do hope they get more time to develop a better game. The every 2 year release is affecting the quality a little bit. I do believe Forza 5 will be a nice launch title and knowing Microsoft they will probably release a Halo launch title also. I think it will be the Halo 2 HD remake since a bunch of rumors are going around on that.

The only thing I want from the "Durango" is backwards compatibility. I'm talking about games and a profile transfer that keeps your current Xbox Live Gold Membership.

I think that Microsoft should focus on putting out more IP's instead of addon hardware. Kinect was a great device but it wasn't put to good use. I also hope that there are more Games for Windows/Xbox crossplay (Can play with people on PC or Xbox 360) compatible games (ShadowRun for example)

Another thing. I know this may sound stupid to say and ask for but I hope that they allow for us to keep our accounts and other things like Avatar clothing and such.

phillkillv2
I think that Microsoft should focus on putting out more IP's instead of addon hardware. Kinect was a great device but it wasn't put to good use. I also hope that there are more Games for Windows/Xbox crossplay (Can play with people on PC or Xbox 360) compatible games (ShadowRun for example)

Another thing. I know this may sound stupid to say and ask for but I hope that they allow for us to keep our accounts and other things like Avatar clothing and such.

This isn't add on hardware it's the console hardware. I'm just going to take a wild guess and say that the hardware engineers likely aren't responsible for generating new IP's and developing games. Two entirely separate branches of the Microsoft empire.

Back