These screenshots are incredible!!!

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 85 comments
Guys, I think you'll find the XBox to be a big disappointment. I played Project Gotham Racing on it a couple of months ago, and the system has MASSIVE slowdown in complex parts of the game, and it sometimes even "skps" where it slows down to like 2fps for a few seconds. Yes, the game was pre-production, but it simply looked like the hardware wasn't powerful enough to process the (unimpressive) graphics.

As for developing games, I think it's probably much easier to develop for XBox than for PS2. At the very least, the XBox specs have been in use for longer (Standard PC architecture).

Comparing gaming systems by their processor speed is pointless, especially here. Microsoft is trying to use a sledgehammer to make up for the crappy system design. Look at their handhelds -- You need 64mb in a Microsoft-based handheld to do **** that can be done in 2 or 4mb on a Palm OS system. The REASON the XBox has a 733 or 800mhz or whatever they're saying today processor, is bercause it's not a system designed from the ground up to do gaming. It has much higher system overhead and that kind of crap. The PS2 was designed to be a gaming system, it was optimized to do this kind of work.

That is not to say that it is a faster system than the XBox, it's just saying that you can't compare by processor speed. From what I understand, the XBox pulls more polygons than the PS2, but not 4x as much as the processor speed differences might suggest.

Anyway, I tink the XBox plays like ****, and from what I've read, it crashes too. I had no crashing problems in the 2 hours I played the unit.

Just wait for it to come out, play your friend's, and then decide if you really want it. If it plays well and does't have problems, or has problems but the games are something you really want, go ahead then. Just don't believe the hype. That's what Microsoft is best at, and what the gaming community will soon find out (IMO).

- reid

I wonder....

If comparing GT3 Rally v. Rallisport Challenge, let's ask some ?'s

1. GT3 12 rally cars v 25+ in Rallisport Challenge. Are those 25 cars better? Dirt tires on many GT3 cars makes adds a certain ___ to the game (Jacked RUF CTR anyone?)

2. GT3 represents "racing". Rallisport Challenge represnts rally racing. What does that do for you?

3. (No) Damage engine. I cut my teeth on Need 4 Speed: High Stakes. For me, every now and again you need your CLK GTR to do a complete flip and land on it's roof to remind you to race w/ quality in mind.

4. Which game is the most "realistic"? I like the sloppiness of rally in GT3. The no damage engine takes away from the realism. The controller feedback is good. What about for XBOX?

5. Graphics. Yay for particulate matter. How does the game play? Anyone done a serious side-by-side comparison?

Thoughts?

quality? well my expierence with the PS2 has been of one of extreme happiness, joy and pure fun, and now i am pissed beyond my words.
1) I can only Play DVD games on my PS2
2) i put a controller in yesterday and the whole slot sinks into the playstation, i am unable to play anything now and i have to send it in for sure now.

this means that instead of buying games and having fun i have to shell out 120+ dollars for them to fix the damn thing. what a load of ****. i still love the thing and i can't wait to get it back but right now my quality level for SONY just shot from a 10 to a 1

i also think we have to remember that the PS2 is what, a year and a half ish' old, where the Xbox is only just coming out...so the Xbox should be better because of age? the new console will always or should be better, but hang on what about the PS2's games..GT3!!! :eek: ,GTA3,MGS2, these are some stunning games that will take a lot to be beaten by, even by the Xbox!

as you can see i am in favour of the PS2..

as for the rally shots, are GT3 pics not as good? i think they are as good, also we have to wait for how it drives, it may look ok but it might handle like "driving emotion type s"? :(

Originally posted by HUDSONJONES

as for the rally shots, are GT3 pics not as good? i think they are as good, also we have to wait for how it drives, it may look ok but it might handle like "driving emotion type s"? :(

Driving Emotion Type S...ugh. [shudders] :nervous:

Originally posted by Pako
WOW!!! That's increadable. I'm just a little curious how many times they had to re-boot the X-Box before they could get it to load? :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I got to admit though, that the first picture of the lancer with the big rear wing covering two thirds of the picture, looks cool. You can almost feel the cold wind in your face.

I`m thank to you Jordan, now im going to buy x-box when i got the money 4 it .
I haven`t seen anything like that exept pc. but still i`m stuned.

Ahh... I see that IGN.com just scored it a 9.2. :D Soon Jordan, Tazz, Space, and I will truly feel the power of the dark side...
Join us.....

Attachments

• esb_vader.jpg
    esb_vader.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 75
Originally posted by space
Must...find...cash...

Hmmm, I do have a tax return coming to me? *rubs chin*

OT: We need a *rubs chin* smilie!

When's the last time you donated blood? ;)

these work in a pinch.
😈 :mschievou

It's all about the mischevious level of the smilies... 😈

Originally posted by Tom McDonnell

When's the last time you donated blood? ;)

these work in a pinch.
😈 :mschievou

It's all about the mischevious level of the smilies... 😈
Blood for an XBox, hummmmm interesting..... :P

one word, GAMEPLAY, anyone agree? PS2 + GT3 rocks, X-Box, as far as i am concerned is just a glorified PC, Sony have the right idea with PS2 and PS3, microsoft sucks :-)

how long have developers had to work on programming with Direct-X ??????????? and how long have developers had to program with PS2??????
I rest my case, erm, no i dont, one word on Specifications, i have an 800Mhz PC with a Graphics card Costing £300.00, what do i have? mmmmmmm, guess

Originally posted by redline
how long have developers had to work on programming with Direct-X ??????????? and how long have developers had to program with PS2??????
I rest my case, erm, no i dont, one word on Specifications, i have an 800Mhz PC with a Graphics card Costing £300.00, what do i have? mmmmmmm, guess

Mmmmmm... I'd guess you have a 2 year old PC. And the answer to the direct X question is... about a year and a half for DX 8.1 I think.... Jealousy is a terrible thing isn't it? It makes people say all kinds of things while they try to mask their true feelings. It's too bad that some people need to put others down in order to feel better about what they have. :(
Btw...
Can't rest your case until you make one.... :P

Originally posted by redline
one word, GAMEPLAY, anyone agree? PS2 + GT3 rocks, X-Box, as far as i am concerned is just a glorified PC, Sony have the right idea with PS2 and PS3, microsoft sucks :-)

:reallyodd:reallyodd Yeah PS2+GT3 rocks but Xbox is not a glorified PC. :rolleyes:

Boyz dont help bill gates by buying his system,like i said hes just evil,so damn evil!!!!!!

hes so rich he could probably get enron goin again... :)

but he probably wouldnt cause hes EVIL!!!!

BILL MUST BE DESTROYED!!!!

I'll tell you why I think the PS2 will have the upperhand over the X-Box.

Consider the following scenario (in Australian dollars - make appropriate conversions):

Mum and Dad wander into <fill in appropriate retailer here> with their 12 year old son. Mum and Dad are not gamers, and have only a passing knowledge of the industry.

They see the PS2 and the X-Box.

To their untrained eyes, the advanced graphics of the PS2 and the even more advanced X-Box look pretty much the same.

They look at the prices. A PS2 is $499. An X-Box is $649. The PS2 will play DVDs out of the box, the X-Box won't - you need to buy a $49.95 remote for that.

So, Microsoft are asking effectively $200 more for a product that the average consumer is going to find basically indistiguishable from the PS2.

Originally posted by Pako
WOW!!! That's increadable. I'm just a little curious how many times they had to re-boot the X-Box before they could get it to load? :rolleyes:

haha yeah just like microsofts computers...crashes every 2 seconds :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Beamerkid44

haha yeah just like microsofts computers...crashes every 2 seconds :rolleyes:

:lol: Microsoft doesn't make PC's.
Btw, my PS2 is the only console I've ever owned that has frozen or crashed. :P

And Vat_man, is the Xbox really 649??? That's a really big difference. Over here The Xbox and PS2 are both 299 (The GC is 199)
I like Sony's Odds because they have incredible brand recognition. Playstation went from a console that noone had ever heard of to a name being synonymous with Video games. Plus they have a worldwide Installed base of 28 million, which is way more than the other consoles. (Although both the Xbox and GC are a year behind.) I think that Sony dropped the ball by not pushing Online support out sooner though, right now I really feel that they have given too much of an opening to Microsoft to take an even larger bite out of the market share. Plus more games should take advantage of the link cable, as I've really enjoyed that feature on the Xbox (Plus the Xbox uses an Ethernet port so I can run long Rj45 cables from room to room instead of moving TV's around.)
One thing that is undeniable about human nature is that most people are really quite shallow. It won't take long for the lure of the Xbox's superior graphics to begin to take their hold. Right now it's too early to tell, but I think that Squaresoft is going to once again decide the fate of corporations... (And I understand that all consoles will be getting FFXI)

The fundamental difference between an Xbox and your average PC (although they share the same basic hardware components) is considerable. The Xbox is a closed system, the PC is not. This means that Xbox developers know what they're up against. PC developers must write their code to maintain compatibility with many and varied operating systems and hardware bits. Xbox programmers can more fully optimize their code because they have only one combination to figure out. Plus MS should be able to assure themselves that the hardware used is capable of running harmoniously - something of which PC owners can never be completely sure (forcing us to do our own troubleshooting :weird: ).

The Xbox also has the advantage of not being hobbled by Windows. 😈

Originally posted by Tom McDonnell
And Vat_man, is the Xbox really 649??? That's a really big difference. Over here The Xbox and PS2 are both 299 (The GC is 199)

I like Sony's Odds because they have incredible brand recognition. Playstation went from a console that noone had ever heard of to a name being synonymous with Video games.

One thing that is undeniable about human nature is that most people are really quite shallow. It won't take long for the lure of the Xbox's superior graphics to begin to take their hold.

Prices are correct - exchange rate is about one Australian dollar buys 52 cents US. I'm surprised at the prices being the same in the US - puts a dent in my argument from a US perspective - but then, I'd suggest MS might be more US focussed than Sony, too.

The brand recognition is a big element - Sony has a very strong 'quality' image in the market, plus a lot of people's work experience with Windows is fairly negative, and people aren't going to disassociate MS Windows from MS X-Box.

It'll be interesting. I hate Microsoft (although I do love Excel) so I won't be buying an X-Box.

Originally posted by risingson77
The fundamental difference between an Xbox and your average PC (although they share the same basic hardware components) is considerable. The Xbox is a closed system, the PC is not. This means that Xbox developers know what they're up against. PC developers must write their code to maintain compatibility with many and varied operating systems and hardware bits. Xbox programmers can more fully optimize their code because they have only one combination to figure out. Plus MS should be able to assure themselves that the hardware used is capable of running harmoniously - something of which PC owners can never be completely sure (forcing us to do our own troubleshooting :weird: ).

The Xbox also has the advantage of not being hobbled by Windows. 😈

Now that I agree with. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by vat_man
It'll be interesting. I hate Microsoft (although I do love Excel) so I won't be buying an X-Box.

You'll be missing out on some cool games but oh well. I guess I can see where you are coming from. ;)

Back