Things that confuse/annoy you

• Thread starter UnkaD
  • 2,191 comments
I feel like it's mostly due to my social anxiety, but has anyone else (at least in the US) felt like no one was ever taught that it's rude to stare? I remember being told that so much as a kid, and yet these days just about everyone (I've noticed mostly with older generations) tend to just stare at people. Whether it's sitting in a waiting room and you're the only one up and walking, or driving by in their car and you're standing outside a friend's house talking in the driveway, people just HAVE to stare. With driving by, I'd think a quick glance is good enough, but I've seen people fully turn their heads as far as they can just to see what someone's doing. As if it's the most interesting sight they've ever seen.... It probably bothers me more than it should, but I find it rather annoying and confusing as to what makes people stare for much longer than what I'd consider comfortable. Like I said, were these people not told that staring is rude? I can only assume that sometimes it's due to curiosity.

This is all before the pandemic too, but it feels a little worse when you see people staring and you can't tell if they're smiling or frowning behind their mask. I understand there's more reason to be aware of your surroundings to keep a distance from a stranger during this time, but before this pandemic it felt like it's been getting more and more common. I am aware in other countries like Asia or Europe it tends to be the norm, but in the US at least, it feels like it wasn't as bad as it was now. Could be me overthinking things and believing that people are staring at me, but it certainly feels like it when you see someone drive by in their car and turn their heads all the way to look at you.

As much as I dislike window tint on cars, I honestly am considering getting some as it feels like people love to look at others parked next to them at a light...
Oh god, one of my inner nightmares that constantly eats at me is wondering if people in cars next to me are staring when I'm sitting at a light. I glance around to check cross traffic and the lights, but I never want to turn fully to the right or left. I think some heavy moments in the past few years of my life have made the anxiety worse than I can remember. I wasn't like this out of high school.

I feel like it's mostly due to my social anxiety, but has anyone else (at least in the US) felt like no one was ever taught that it's rude to stare? I remember being told that so much as a kid, and yet these days just about everyone (I've noticed mostly with older generations) tend to just stare at people. Whether it's sitting in a waiting room and you're the only one up and walking, or driving by in their car and you're standing outside a friend's house talking in the driveway, people just HAVE to stare. With driving by, I'd think a quick glance is good enough, but I've seen people fully turn their heads as far as they can just to see what someone's doing. As if it's the most interesting sight they've ever seen.... It probably bothers me more than it should, but I find it rather annoying and confusing as to what makes people stare for much longer than what I'd consider comfortable. Like I said, were these people not told that staring is rude? I can only assume that sometimes it's due to curiosity.

This is all before the pandemic too, but it feels a little worse when you see people staring and you can't tell if they're smiling or frowning behind their mask. I understand there's more reason to be aware of your surroundings to keep a distance from a stranger during this time, but before this pandemic it felt like it's been getting more and more common. I am aware in other countries like Asia or Europe it tends to be the norm, but in the US at least, it feels like it wasn't as bad as it was now. Could be me overthinking things and believing that people are staring at me, but it certainly feels like it when you see someone drive by in their car and turn their heads all the way to look at you.

As much as I dislike window tint on cars, I honestly am considering getting some as it feels like people love to look at others parked next to them at a light...
Trust me, I know how you feel. Although I haven't had anything of this nature happen in a while, it was something I dealt with when I was growing up, and sometimes it really bothered me. Let me show you what I mean by this:
1. When I was Elementary School, I had a music teacher who was the type to embarrass you in front of the whole class over something pretty minor. When she did, I oftentimes had the misfortune of being in the back of the class and everybody would turn around and stare at me, which you can imagine how I felt then. While in hindsight, they probably didn't know any better yet since we were in elementary school, it's still embarrassing no matter what and totally unnecessary. Needless to say, I did not like my music teacher very much back then and I wasn't the only one either, other people felt the same.

Sure it may have been a long time ago, but what's sad is, I have heard she still does this to this very day.
2. My cousin used to give me a silly stare to make me laugh or smile when I was middle school during lunch as I walked to the table. While he was only doing it as a joke, he did it so much, it was annoying. Considering we were at lunch with a bunch of people, that didn't help either.
3. In my sophomore year of high school, there was a guy that used to stare at me every single day at lunch and he gave me a lot of strange, goofy looks for no apparent reason. (theirs an adjective that best describes this, but I doubt it's AUP friendly) To this day, I still have no idea why he did this.
4. That very same school year, I don't know what happened to my math teacher, but she was in a terrible mood one day and proceeded to jump down my throat over a silly mistake I made on a paper. Then later on, she told one of my classmates about it and said "look at him", then they turned around, looked at me and then proceeded to chuckle about it. I didn't think too much of it at first, but once it sank in a bit, it had me feeling pretty humiliated afterward.
5. In my senior year of high school, one of my teacher assistants was going around, singling out nearly everyone in my class one by one. When he eventually got to me, he gave me a really mean, frowny look for some reason and then said what was on his mind. I didn't react much to it, but it bothered me a lot and despite it being 8 years ago, it still makes angry for some reason. :boggled: (don't ask why)

To this day, I still am not sure why he gave me that look out of everyone in the class because I was not giving him any unusual looks at all and I made sure of it. Maybe it had something to do with the fact I was sitting down and he was standing up, looking down at me? Maybe there was a reason for it I am missing here? Could be, but I thought it was unnecessary and although I like him, that nearly turned me against him. I don't condone giving people the middle finger, but I could've done it that day and if he were to do that to me nowadays, I can't promise I would keep it to myself then.
6. In my earlier years of college, there were some people I met before class started and it seemed like they were watching everything I was doing as I was sitting down. When I very softly started reading something to myself, one of them asked why I was talking to myself and made some comment about it. Not nearly as bad as everything I mentioned, but it was kind of creepy and it made me a little uncomfortable.
So yea, you can say I know the feeling.

Pretty much why I don’t eat in public places before & during the pandemic.
There’s always that SOB that stares at you while eating.

Guilty! :embarrassed:

I just wave at them. Never known someone continue to stare after that.

I used to get bothered by this as well and still do. I used to get stared at a lot especially when I was experimenting with transitioning to female and I was very androgynous looking so people were probably trying to figure out what gender I was. Even before that I'd have people staring at me like I was some alien or something?? In addition I was the target of people spouting insults from their car for some reason. On a few occasions I got so pissed off about it that when some idiot decided to mock me from their truck at a red light I took the opportunity to run to their truck and bang on the window and kick the door. They got really shocked and sped off when the light turned green. I also started carrying little stones to chuck at cars for when people would yell at me from their car and took liberties with that few times. Needless to say after showing that I'll bust windows and throw stones at them people stopped.

The 'Why remembering everything, that's what the phone is for' people. :rolleyes:
Personally, I can't be bothered to have my phone out 24/7 during concerts or fun gatherings and other events. I want to take in what I went there for. When I'm trying to record a video of the performance, I'm focused on that and not actually enjoying what I'm their to see and do.

How is NFS Heat, in any way, similar to Dark Souls 3? These Steam recommendations are beyond useless, I swear.

Capture.PNG

How is NFS Heat, in any way, similar to Dark Souls 3? These Steam recommendations are beyond useless, I swear.

View attachment 940468
Something something pride and accomplishment.

Jokes aside that area is largely useless. For example MotoGP 20 has nothing listed there for me, despite me having played several games in that self same series. It doesn't really get more similar than an annual sports game series.

Roo
I just wave at them. Never known someone continue to stare after that.
Then you don't know me. If someone waves at me while I'm staring, let us say while driving a car I will definitely keep staring start smiling and wave back.

Adverts on YouTube, they seem to have increased overnight and now I have the new option of wasting my time to view them all at the beginning of the content instead of dispersed throughout.

No, I don't want to download a 🤬 audiobook on 🤬 audible. You have 🤬 cookies on my device no doubt, so you will 🤬 know that I have not started my 30 day free 🤬 trial after umpteen showings of this 🤬 advert.

Before I begin, I'm in CA so traffic for me is on the right-hand side of the roads. I can't wrap my head around the new renovations happening throughout my city. All of these perfectly good streets with two lanes in either direction are being reduced to single lane both ways with ridiculously large expanded sidewalks and planters along the side. Even worse is that at every intersection the curbs now jut out into these fat circular shapes that narrow the road so much literally only two vehicles could slide through now(total; not same direction). That's down from 4 to 7 wide from before depending on left-turn-lanes and space to the kurb for right turns. These are streets that already carry a majority of rush hour traffic.

So before the changes you might be mildy inconvenienced if you had to make a left turn, but no worries if you just went straight or turned right. But now... Oh now. Good luck getting anywhere within twice the time it took before. It wouldn't be bad or worth a complaint if this was a small town and it had been this way for a while, but it's not small. A lot of people drive here. The streets were already crowded, and their answer is to make them smaller? It just blows my mind.

In any case, luckily I live along the border of the city, so I can always just head east into our neighbor that still has some sense.

Before I begin, I'm in CA so traffic for me is on the right-hand side of the roads. I can't wrap my head around the new renovations happening throughout my city. All of these perfectly good streets with two lanes in either direction are being reduced to single lane both ways with ridiculously large expanded sidewalks and planters along the side. Even worse is that at every intersection the curbs now jut out into these fat circular shapes that narrow the road so much literally only two vehicles could slide through now(total; not same direction). That's down from 4 to 7 wide from before depending on left-turn-lanes and space to the kurb for right turns. These are streets that already carry a majority of rush hour traffic.

So before the changes you might be mildy inconvenienced if you had to make a left turn, but no worries if you just went straight or turned right. But now... Oh now. Good luck getting anywhere within twice the time it took before. It wouldn't be bad or worth a complaint if this was a small town and it had been this way for a while, but it's not small. A lot of people drive here. The streets were already crowded, and their answer is to make them smaller? It just blows my mind.

In any case, luckily I live along the border of the city, so I can always just head east into our neighbor that still has some sense.

Sounds like they’ve implemented “traffic calming measures” which are common features in many European cities.

Oh god, one of my inner nightmares that constantly eats at me is wondering if people in cars next to me are staring when I'm sitting at a light. I glance around to check cross traffic and the lights, but I never want to turn fully to the right or left. I think some heavy moments in the past few years of my life have made the anxiety worse than I can remember. I wasn't like this out of high school.

I unfortunately can easily tell within the corner of my eyes someone turning their head to fully look at me. It drives me nuts, especially when the front windows of most cars aren't tinted. I glance at others to see if they're doing something stupid like texting or trying to shove themselves into my lane. But being in a bright red GTI, I always seem to get some douche "bro" who has to give me that stupidly smug grin on their face for no real reason.

It always seems to be the douche-y types that want to stare at you so you look back and give them "attention." It's irritating and just makes me want to tint my windows and hide from everyone. But I never liked tinted windows, especially when driving at night.

Also been rather irritated with people who use the defense of "I'm just messing with you" after talking crap and sometimes to your own boiling point. Pushing someone down when they're already down and calling it "just a joke" is not helping...

Last edited:
Personally, if you get worried or upset at people looking at you, I think you might have insecurity issues.

Personally, if you get worried or upset at people looking at you, I think you might have insecurity issues.

I was born with a cleft pallet and have had to deal with people staring at me my whole life, you're god damn right I have insecurity issues. It doesn't help when people respond trying to shift the blame back to me like I should be fine with people staring. People should just have enough bloody manners to not to it.

Over-exaggerate

This is something that's popped up a few times recently. I personally feel that the term is a redundancy. While I can concede that some may see value in distinguishing higher degrees of exaggeration, the problem is that everyone I hear use the term "over-exaggerate" simply use it in place of "exaggerate" for every instance. It's the same problem that everyone has with "could care less" and "irregardless," or the rampant use of the term "literally." This is what upsets me about the word. There is no thought placed in its usage. It has simply become the new default, at least from my experience.

When someone is with you and you hear a song that you like. Only to have them sing along to it (usually not very well) and OVER the song you want to listen to. It's worse when you're stuck in a car with them and you just want to listen to the song. Also happens often at my work where a sales person will try to sing along to a song in the showroom that I was enjoying.

When somebody starts to whistle loudly.

E.g. in a waiting room or in a store.
Pretty spooky. The very instant I read this my neighbor happened to start whistling a tune that I can hear through my open window.

When someone is with you and you hear a song that you like. Only to have them sing along to it (usually not very well) and OVER the song you want to listen to. It's worse when you're stuck in a car with them and you just want to listen to the song. Also happens often at my work where a sales person will try to sing along to a song in the showroom that I was enjoying.
That and also when they ask you about what somebody on a tv or radio is saying, causing you both to miss what is being said.

Back