Things that confuse/annoy you

• Thread starter UnkaD
  • 2,191 comments
As we're talking YouTube videos, I often get annoyed of videos with a title of "[subject] (doing something) for (amount of time)." For example: "Fox Saying 'Hiyaa!' in Super Smash Bros. for 2 Minutes." I usually "Not Interested" them immediately as I do with any speedrun videos.

Why do people get defensive when someone else complains or criticises something like a video game, movie, book, or some other media? Do they just form a personal attachment?

Being on the internet for years, I of course expect this to happen and dealt with it many times.

and then some jump immediately to dumb, criticism deflections like "don't like it, don't watch it." While there's some legitimacy with this argument. I mean, voting with your wallet can make a difference of course with something like a movie I might see bad. However, it's still a problematic argument. Voting with your wallet won't guarantee that a better version of the thing I don't like will come along though. I.E. If any of the MCU movies tanked, hollywood could easily think "oh, I guess people don't like superhero movies." or something similar.

Public restrooms that have fully enclosed stalls or doors that don't stay open when not occupied, but don't have an easy way of telling someone outside that it's occupied or not. Nothing like almost having a panic attack from someone pulling as hard as they can multiple times on a restroom stall or single occupant restroom. Knocking would help, but either people don't or on the other end, people inside don't respond so I feel like an idiot pulling the handle. One of the local-ish gas station chains around here has a sign on it that goes along with the lock, to let people know if it's vacant or not.

I'm sure this has been brought up before. But I am very annoyed with the majority of people who have the mentality of "it's not my job" for so many "little" things. It's a bit general, but it goes for both co-workers and customers of retail where this is most noticeable.

At my work, everyone keeps printing out loads of papers that might not even be necessary. If someone else printed something before another, the person grabbing their paperwork will just toss it next to the printer or my desk (because it's closest to the printer). Also annoyed at how much paper is wasted at my work... But I digress, it's the constant dealing of people who can't do something and just leave it to someone else at the workplace to pick up after them. My co-workers are constantly leaving papers everywhere (some including customer's personal information that should NOT be out in the open), leaving the copy machine ajar so dust builds up on it, and not refilling the printer paper until it's empty ONLY when they need it.

Meanwhile, in retail stores, I see people who leave store shelves a complete mess and say things like "the employees are paid to do it." (My parents are those sort of people... Not so much tossing things around, but not returning items to their spot if they decide not to buy it) It's especially gross going through retail and seeing half drunken coffee cups or partially eaten food left on store shelves by people. There's more things I could list, but I can't think of any other examples of this crap off the top of my head.

Facebook groups auto-declining comments based on keywords.

What are those keywords? I can't abide by the rules if I don't know what they are! Please, O Mighty Algorithm, please bestow me with the privilege of your sacred wisdom, without making me wait half a day for the American admins to tell me what they are first.

As we're talking YouTube videos, I often get annoyed of videos with a title of "[subject] (doing something) for (amount of time)." For example: "Fox Saying 'Hiyaa!' in Super Smash Bros. for 2 Minutes." I usually "Not Interested" them immediately as I do with any speedrun videos.
based

People that leave messes in stores or places with the excuse of "it's the employee's job to clean it". This is the same immature mentality that a child would have left a mess expecting their mom to clean it up. I hate it.

---
Also people that whine and complain but never elaborate on what they want to be fixed. They just expect the problem to be fixed based on general statements, then get surprised when it wasn't later.

Really ruins my day when colleagues categorise the team's e-mails as completely random things despite all of their experience and expertise. Even worse when said miscategorisation involves treating internal teams as external customers. What a complete waste of my time pointing out and correcting these errors is, instead of actually being able to get on with my own work.

Google News Feed.
For those that don’t know, it’s this that shows up below the search box:
E99E4997-C9B3-4BE5-A687-FD90C814DB53.png
I have a love hate relationship with this feature. Part of me loves it because it recommends stuff that is relevant to me I may not see otherwise. But a huge part of me hates it because it’s distracting and I frequently forget what I was going to look up there because of this. I don’t know if it can be disabled or not, but if so, I’m tempted to do that.

Edit: It can! Thank goodness!

Last edited:
Google News Feed.
For those that don’t know, it’s this that shows up below the search box:
View attachment 1095482
I have a love hate relationship with this feature. Part of me loves it because it recommends stuff that is relevant to me I may not see otherwise. But a huge part of me hates it because it’s distracting and I frequently forget what I was going to look up there because of this. I don’t know if it can be disabled or not, but if so, I’m tempted to do that.

Edit: It can! Thank goodness!
I've had so many Grand Prix results spoiled by google news feed and random phone alerts. I've stopped using the browser and most other apps altogether until I watch the race.

Also, I notice that about 99% of that feed is always completely pointless articles that literally have zero substance and are written based on no concrete information at all. Either that or the only relevant information is the title itself and the rest of the article is fluff that EVERYONE already knows. I saw one about GT7 that mentioned something I didn't see on GTPlanet. I knew it was probably BS, but I just had to see. It turned out this ten paragraph article basicly stated that a feature could come in the future "probably" based on a passing comment that Mr. Yamauchi said.

Last edited:
Public restrooms that have fully enclosed stalls or doors that don't stay open when not occupied, but don't have an easy way of telling someone outside that it's occupied or not. Nothing like almost having a panic attack from someone pulling as hard as they can multiple times on a restroom stall or single occupant restroom. Knocking would help, but either people don't or on the other end, people inside don't respond so I feel like an idiot pulling the handle. One of the local-ish gas station chains around here has a sign on it that goes along with the lock, to let people know if it's vacant or not.

I'm sure this has been brought up before. But I am very annoyed with the majority of people who have the mentality of "it's not my job" for so many "little" things. It's a bit general, but it goes for both co-workers and customers of retail where this is most noticeable.

At my work, everyone keeps printing out loads of papers that might not even be necessary. If someone else printed something before another, the person grabbing their paperwork will just toss it next to the printer or my desk (because it's closest to the printer). Also annoyed at how much paper is wasted at my work... But I digress, it's the constant dealing of people who can't do something and just leave it to someone else at the workplace to pick up after them. My co-workers are constantly leaving papers everywhere (some including customer's personal information that should NOT be out in the open), leaving the copy machine ajar so dust builds up on it, and not refilling the printer paper until it's empty ONLY when they need it.

Meanwhile, in retail stores, I see people who leave store shelves a complete mess and say things like "the employees are paid to do it." (My parents are those sort of people... Not so much tossing things around, but not returning items to their spot if they decide not to buy it) It's especially gross going through retail and seeing half drunken coffee cups or partially eaten food left on store shelves by people. There's more things I could list, but I can't think of any other examples of this crap off the top of my head.
Yesterday, as I was loading up groceries I had a cart that somebody left get launched into my car by the wind. How much of an inconvenience is putting your cart back? The rack is in the parking lot. Use it.

I've had so many Grand Prix results spoiled by google news feed and random phone alerts.
Although I’ve never had anything spoiled on Google News Feed, I understand your frustration.
I've stopped using the browser and most other apps altogether until I watch the race.
If it makes you feel better, the news feed can be disabled in search settings.

This is so incredibly minor but it has disproportionately annoyed the crap out of me for decades.

Movie covers. Specifically ones that have the actors names and pictures on them. At least coordinate the damn things. Looking through Redbox movies has resurfaced the ire.

209944.jpg

John's not even on the cover and Emily is on the wrong side.

211565.jpg

This is just all kinds of wrong.

209860.jpg
200140.jpg
207269.jpg

These share the same flip-flipping problem. Bad Dark Chaos, indeed.

209765.jpg

This one at least follows a counter-clockwise pattern.

3912.jpg

Single actor, single name is too easy.

210181.jpg
209191.jpg
8599.jpg

Single actor, multiple names; at least the pictured actor is listed first.

213244.jpg
212342.jpg
211608.jpg

See! It can be done!

TB
This is so incredibly minor but it has disproportionately annoyed the crap out of me for decades.

Movie covers. Specifically ones that have the actors names and pictures on them. At least coordinate the damn things. Looking through Redbox movies has resurfaced the ire.

209944.jpg

John's not even on the cover and Emily is on the wrong side.

211565.jpg

This is just all kinds of wrong.

209860.jpg
200140.jpg
207269.jpg

These share the same flip-flipping problem. Bad Dark Chaos, indeed.

209765.jpg

This one at least follows a counter-clockwise pattern.

3912.jpg

Single actor, single name is too easy.

210181.jpg
209191.jpg
8599.jpg

Single actor, multiple names; at least the pictured actor is listed first.

213244.jpg
212342.jpg
211608.jpg

See! It can be done!
I believe it's because of a deal where top billing actors get their names 'first' in order, then the next most popular / paid, then the next. It's some weird Hollywood stuff.

I believe it's because of a deal where top billing actors get their names 'first' in order, then the next most popular / paid, then the next. It's some weird Hollywood stuff.
I've considered that but for some, like Chaos Walking, you could easily flip the image to match the names and have virtually the same cover.

Others, like The Little Things would be more difficult to do the same thing with as I'm sure Denzel "needs" to be listed first and still be in the center of the picture. His name could still be in the center but up slightly higher than the other two, too.

Of course, I'm probably the only one that has a problem with this. :lol:

Youtube sponsors taking up way too much time in a video.
Now this is something I have grown pretty tired of lately and I am sure I am not the only one. I am not totally against Youtube sponsors, especially if they’re only a few seconds long, it’s the ones that are anywhere from 30 seconds to over a minute (sometimes even 2 minutes!) that annoy me the most. I hate these simply because they just take up way too much time in the video, and more often than not have no relevance to what I am watching. I find them to be even worse than ads, even mid-roll ads, due to the fact they’re baked into the video and you don’t really know how long they’re going to last.

I especially hate it when they pick a completely random time out of nowhere to show their sponsors. These are just straight-up intrusive and easily the most annoying way to go about it. Having them at the beginning isn’t as annoying, but I am not a fan of the content creators taking too long to get to the main point of the video. Yes, I know I can skip them, but since I don't know how long they are most of the time, I end up either skipping part of the actual video or hearing part of it anyway. It’s made even worse when you’re using a device that doesn’t want to cooperate. I have found that if they do them at the end of the video, it’s the least annoying. I mean, Techquickie has sponsors in every video, but I don’t find myself getting too annoyed about it because they wait until the main portion of the video is over to do it.

Here is just a handful of some of the most annoying instances I can think of:
1. Although I like this guy's channel and he was being sarcastic about sponsoring Raid Shadow Legends, LordDraconical made perhaps one of the most annoying takes I’ve heard yet. Simply because he wasted 2 whole minutes of the video talking about it when it wasn’t even vaguely related to it. I can take a joke, but to me, their attempts at joking about it weren’t even funny and just made it even worse.

2. DefunctLand had not one but 2 sponsors for NordVPN in one of his videos, one at the beginning and another at the end. To be fair, they weren’t that long, but the fact he felt the need to do it twice in the same video just seems unnecessary.

3. I don’t even remember what video this was from, but Caddicarus did one video where he had a sponsor for Raid Shadow Legends out of absolutely nowhere mid-way through the video. I kind of hate to say that about him because I love his content, but it’s the very reason I touched on this earlier.
Don’t get me wrong though, I understand why people on Youtube do sponsors and again, I am not totally against sponsors. However, as a viewer, I find them pretty annoying when they waste way too much time in the video talking about it, especially when they have no relevance to the video I’m watching. I am sure I am forgetting something here, but if you have to do them though, at least wait until the main topic of the video is over. A few seconds isn't bad but a minute or more is just absurd and it's something I'd really wish they'd throttle back on already.

Last edited:
Showers that are designed in a way that you have to go in the shower before turning it on (example, shower door goes inwards in front of the tabs).

I need to adjust the water before I fully in, and not constantly freeze or burn before I get it right...

Showers that are designed in a way that you have to go in the shower before turning it on (example, shower door goes inwards in front of the tabs).

I need to adjust the water before I fully in, and not constantly freeze or burn before I get it right...
Movable shower head. Never need to get stuck under the wrong temp water.

Or a hot water recirculating pump. There's either a pump or a check valve (the latter when the pump is at the heating unit) located at the fixture farthest from the heater so that hot water recirculates throughout the entire hot line. Trade a small electrical draw for the discomfort and water waste. The electrical draw is smaller still with a programmable system set to operate when the shower is most likely to be used or even when the hot water draw is sensed with some high efficiency systems.

I've gotten annoyed with people on YouTube who make videos for YouTube Kids, when the videos themselves are not "kid-friendly" (at leat to me). For one thing, "kid" videos aren't supposed to use words like damn, hell, and ass. One video was a recipe video, and I heard "hell" used. The only exception is if the "hell" in question is... Hell. Also, there are privacy options for videos so they don't have to be listed in peoples' playlists. Think of the kids!

People that still refer to Grogu as "Baby Yoda" despite knowing his real name.
While it's not the most annoying thing ever, this is something I have been getting kind of tired of for a while now. For starters, calling him "Baby Yoda" at all is something I find annoying to boot, but I try not to get aggravated about it because I get not everyone knows better and I don't expect everyone to know because not everyone is deeply into Star Wars. I also get why they would call him this because he is a creature of the same species (unnamed species that is) that looks like him, albeit younger, that didn't have his name revealed right away.

However, what I don't get are the ones that are totally aware of his real name, but still refuse to call him that for some absurd reason. Some of the excuses I have heard is:
1. "He looks so much like him, he might as well be him"
Okay, if you already know his real name, then that's just dumb. By that logic Boba and Jango Fett along many of the clones should be the same character as well, but they're not and neither is Yoda, Yaddle, or Grogu.
2. "It's just easier to call him "Baby Yoda".
Okay this I sort of understand because Grogu is not easiest word to pronounce and saying "Baby Yoda" is easier in that regard. I also understand that if you refer to him as "Baby Yoda", people are more likely to know that name than Grogu. However, at the same time, it's still incorrect and no one is ever going to learn if you keep calling him this.
3. "It just sounds better."
sigh
I know nicknames are a thing, but giving it a nickname is one thing, calling it something it's not is another. While not the case for everyone, some people actually think it really is Yoda as a child and that's my biggest problem with this. At the end of day, Grogu is a different character. Besides, Yoda died in Return of the Jedi and The Mandalorian is set after the events of this movie so he's already dead anyways. And to make matters even worse, if they ever decide to reveal Yoda as a baby in something, it's going to create even more confusion because people could be looking for the actual baby Yoda and finding Grogu instead and not realize they're different characters.

Of course their are far worse things to misunderstand than the name of a fictional character from a TV show, but still. I can understand if it's done by accident, but what I really don't get is why people who know his real name deliberately refuse to call him that and still call him "Baby Yoda" instead. Again, not the most annoying thing ever, but it creates confusion and I'd be happier if people wouldn't do this. I really wish they had just revealed his name from the get go, but I imagine even that wouldn't be enough.

Last edited:
While not the case for everyone, some people actually think it really is Yoda as a child and that's my biggest problem with this. At the end of day, Grogu is a different character.
Some casual viewers have trouble with continuity in a lot of movies and shows. Just yesterday I watched The Eternals and my sister got confused after the beginning when the story jumped 7,000 years to show the same character running around. So, yeah...

I catch myself flipflopping between his name and his ex-non-description depending on with whom I'm speaking.

Some casual viewers have trouble with continuity in a lot of movies and shows.
And I get that, I have a feeling that's part of why some think he really is Yoda because they don't realize it's set after Return of the Jedi. And I can understand it to a degree because when I first watched The Mandalorian, I didn't know what time it was set in until someone mentioned the Empire was gone.
I catch myself flipflopping between his name and his ex-non-description depending on with whom I'm speaking.
And like I said, I can understand not knowing any better or saying it by accident, it's the ones that do it knowing full well it's not his name that bugs me.

When you criticise something and the response is "that was intentional" or "it's like that because reason"

That's not a defence, not only that you are acknowledging that it's bad but you are just able to look past it by pretending to be an English Teacher.

For example, Brilliant Diamond and Shiny Pearl visuals. I think they are horrendous except for the lighting and a lot of ths defence is just that it was either intentional or trying to explain why its like that.

Note this different from responding with "I actually like that because reason". You are actually trying to say why you think it's a good thing or explaining why you appreciate it, which I'm perfectly OK with.

Back