Things that confuse/annoy you

• Thread starter UnkaD
  • 2,191 comments
I'm a caregiver for my mom who suffers from dimentia, so I reserve ALL of my patience for her and answering the same questions over and over all day long. Because of this, I often snap at others over repeating small things even if it's just once.
And as someone who has a grandma with dementia, I understand where you're coming from. I try not to get aggravated with those who cannot help what they got because it's not their fault.
One that was really smashing my hate buttons was last month. I was suffering from some extreme cyatic pain and was all but crippled for about four weeks. Everytime I would try to walk anywhere in the house I would be bent forward and groaning, and EVERYTIME my sister would ask "What is WRONG with you?"

Oh, really? You want to know? I'm sure it's not the spinal pain that's been tormenting me, the answer I've given everytime you've asked before. No, I'm sure it's something else this time.
And as a person who was having some nasty muscle spasms in my back last month, I don't blame you one bit for being annoyed about it, I would have been too! Thankfully I didn't have that problem. My mom did ask how I was pretty often, but I have no issue with that whatsoever because it was rather important and she was just showing she cared about me, which mattered a lot.

Like I said earlier:
Don’t get me wrong, not every occurrence of being asked the same question over and over is annoying. If it’s health or safety related, I can understand that because it can be pretty important. Like for instance, my mom has to ask my grandma every day if she has been short of breath and when I fractured my shoulder a long time ago, I think she used to ask me how I was feeling every day. If it’s anything like what I mentioned above though, that’s where it's just unnecessary and annoying.

Last edited:
One thing that helps a little bit (but not enough, unfortunately) when repeatedly asked the same question is to say "Same as the last time you asked".

Funny you should mention that. For some reason, when I am in a mood, I frequently find myself wanting to say that to my uncle when he asks about my height again. I never have though and I honestly don't want to since he's always been nice to me, but I have to admit, if he catches me in the wrong mood, I have a weird feeling I might end up doing it anyway. Fortunately, I am not around him very often anymore.

Old people that want to intentionally dismiss your opinion so they can tell you how right they are. It's like a plague. It's everywhere in my relatives, they've all caught this bug. wouldn't mind if they got covid instead just for a reality check, lol

Being interrupted during conversation or being asked a question but not afforded the opportunity to answer.

It feels like when having conversations, people regularly just start talking whilst I am mid-sentence.
It gets to the point where if I actually want to get a full thought out, I have to continue to speak and just talk over them...which is something I find uncomfortable.

I don't understand it. It's annoying and a little demoralising in some instances.

Being interrupted during conversation or being asked a question but not afforded the opportunity to answer.

It feels like when having conversations, people regularly just start talking whilst I am mid-sentence.
It gets to the point where if I actually want to get a full thought out, I have to continue to speak and just talk over them...which is something I find uncomfortable.

I don't understand it. It's annoying and a little demoralising in some instances.
It's dehumanising and ass-backwards. People do it without even realizing since it's gained traction...

Waiting to speak is something that people have to learn. Many people who interrupt don’t even realise that they’ve done something annoying.

Do you mean people interrupting a 1-1 conversation; you and another? Or in a group?

I used to interrupt at certain points in a conversation to address the topic at hand before I’d forgotten (I have a notoriously bad memory for that kind of thing) so interjection became my way of getting heard before I forgot what I was thinking.
I later learnt that it doesn’t really matter, and it’s more important to actually listen to what somebody is saying, if you care at all, rather than trying to formulate a response while they’re talking.

I’d like to mark it as a staple of wisdom; the ability to just listen. It took me half my life to realise that listening to others is [sometimes] more important than saying what I think I want to say.

I’d like to mark it as a staple of wisdom; the ability to just listen. It took me half my life to realise that listening to others is [sometimes] more important than saying what I think I want to say.
Personally young people today aren't given the credit due for being as level headed as they can. All young people in their 20s especially are basically told they have to do X Y and Z, get a high status job, please their parents, make dad proud, a whole lot of BS that means diddly squat when you're 50+. This kind of social engineering/indoctrination breeds a generation of people that don't just stop racing and listen because they're so used to solving problems and giving out responses so quickly. Mind you, I'm not saying you're at fault, just observing what's been going on with some people raising other people.
Listening, without saying or thinking a goddamn thing is an underrated, underappreciated high-quality skill

Last edited:
Personally young people today aren't given the credit due for being as level headed as they can. All young people in their 20s especially are basically told they have to do X Y and Z, get a high status job, please their parents, make dad proud, a whole lot of BS that means diddly squat when you're 50+. This kind of social engineering/indoctrination breeds a generation of people that don't just stop racing and listen because they're so used to solving problems and giving out responses so quickly. Mind you, I'm not saying you're at fault, just observing what's been going on with some people raising other people.
Listening, without saying or thinking a goddamn thing is an underrated, underappreciated high-quality skill
I don’t think it’s by any means a generational thing. There’s probably plenty of 60+ folks who have never realised that talking over others is not only rude but belittling.

I’m not a young man myself (middle aged) and I work with the youth of today so that i can impart on them some sort of respect and rules for civil conversation. I don’t know many people in their 20s but I’m sure that aren’t having it any differently than I was back then. Perhaps a little harder since the climate has changed towards manners with the introduction of mainstream, ever connected internet and the ease of being public that wasn’t afforded to my generation at that age.

I wouldn’t give 20 year old me a smart phone with TikTok, that’s a recipe for calamity.

I don’t think it’s by any means a generational thing. There’s probably plenty of 60+ folks who have never realised that talking over others is not only rude but belittling.

I’m not a young man myself (middle aged) and I work with the youth of today so that i can impart on them some sort of respect and rules for civil conversation. I don’t know many people in their 20s but I’m sure that aren’t having it any differently than I was back then. Perhaps a little harder since the climate has changed towards manners with the introduction of mainstream, ever connected internet and the ease of being public that wasn’t afforded to my generation at that age.

I wouldn’t give 20 year old me a smart phone with TikTok, that’s a recipe for calamity.
Sorry I gave off the wrong idea.
I don't particularly believe in all this talk about Gen X, Gen Z, Gen Y, when you dig into it, there's a lot more biology going on and a lot less buzzwords. What I do believe in is how people have been raising people since the 19th century at least, has been pretty backwards in terms of anything close to altruistic ideals.

Sorry I gave off the wrong idea.
I don't particularly believe in all this talk about Gen X, Gen Z, Gen Y, when you dig into it, there's a lot more biology going on and a lot less buzzwords. What I do believe in is how people have been raising people since the 19th century at least, has been pretty backwards in terms of anything close to altruistic ideals.
I don’t think it’s the entire generation, just pockets here and there that have forgone proper etiquette due to lack of instruction or lack of need in modern society.

I would say that the advancement of social and cultural mixing in the western world has propelled the downfall of proper manners and discourse expediently.

I don’t think it’s the entire generation, just pockets here and there that have forgone proper etiquette due to lack of instruction or lack of need in modern society.

I would say that the advancement of social and cultural mixing in the western world has propelled the downfall of proper manners and discourse expediently.
Expediently is a great word. I can see where you're coming from, but insist biology plays a big part. When people don't mix cultures, you still have the same fundamental problems with largely different traits of people, even with inbreeding. We as people just don't get to see every side of this story at work, closely due to finite peak existence.

Expediently is a great word. I can see where you're coming from, but insist biology plays a big part. When people don't mix cultures, you still have the same fundamental problems with largely different traits of people, even with inbreeding. We as people just don't get to see every side of this story at work, closely due to finite peak existence.
So in short… the human race is doomed. Lol. Humanity is probably the wrong description for most of it. However, let’s not try to get too negative about the situation. We still have our health!

So in short… the human race is doomed. Lol. Humanity is probably the wrong description for most of it. However, let’s not try to get too negative about the situation. We still have our health!
I wouldn't say doomed! As a Delta Goodrem song "Born To Try" puts it.

I wouldn't say doomed! As a Delta Goodrem song "Born To Try" puts it.
If I was to prefer a song lyric to summarise it’d be “We’re all ****ed, **** outta luck” from Hardwired…to Self Destruct.

But ultimately “All we are is dust in the wind” as Kansas so gently put it would be apt.

It's interesting, we sort of have two divides on that in young people. There are those that try and do the right thing, hustle for a good job and make mum and dad proud and maybe they get that job and can afford financial independence. But at what psychological cost? I have friends who swing into the workforce wind up depressed and with very unhealthy social mannerisms but unable to stop and help themselves (or sometimes even see there's something wrong).

But I also see young people standing against this culture after seeing their parents fall victim to it their whole lives (think about the labour shortages in the US and the like), and this generates the opposite problem. They're simply unable to be financially independent because the corporate age we find ourselves in appears to punish people for not wanting to be bootlickers.

It's interesting, we sort of have two divides on that in young people. There are those that try and do the right thing, hustle for a good job and make mum and dad proud and maybe they get that job and can afford financial independence. But at what psychological cost? I have friends who swing into the workforce wind up depressed and with very unhealthy social mannerisms but unable to stop and help themselves (or sometimes even see there's something wrong).

But I also see young people standing against this culture after seeing their parents fall victim to it their whole lives (think about the labour shortages in the US and the like), and this generates the opposite problem. They're simply unable to be financially independent because the corporate age we find ourselves in appears to punish people for not wanting to be bootlickers.
Right. If you follow option A you get stressed out quite quickly trying to please the people that you feel you should then turn to drugs, alcohol, other vices etc because of the stress. We have a huge problem when alcohol is completely normalized. One could argue It's straight up poison, but so is too much stress to the mind, then it becomes pick your poison.

I wouldn't know how to solve the second option but it's the natural break to follow when option A puts you under that much stress.
I think if I could say is that we live in a time where most people are simply too stressed.

Right. If you follow option A you get stressed out quite quickly trying to please the people that you feel you should then turn to drugs, alcohol, other vices etc because of the stress. We have a huge problem when alcohol is completely normalized. One could argue It's straight up poison, but so is too much stress to the mind, then it becomes pick your poison.

I wouldn't know how to solve the second option but it's the natural break to follow when option A puts you under that much stress.
I think if I could say is that we live in a time where most people are simply too stressed.
In many cases option A and B both lead to depression so it's a lose/lose game. I'd like to preach that people just need to put an emphasis on better understanding themselves to become content, but in the world we live in I don't think it's even sustainable... I'd go on about how it feels as if the entire world is geared towards the destruction of self value, but then I'm marching into the tin foil hat stuff. I'd like to be a bit more optimistic than that.

Last edited:
In many cases option A and B both lead to depression so it's a lose/lose game. I'd like to preach that people just need to put an emphasis on better understanding themselves to become content, but in the world we live in I don't think it's even sustainable... I'd go on about how it feels as if the entire world is geared towards the destruction of self value, but then I'm marching into the tin foil hat stuff. I'd like to be a bit more optimistic than that.
Yeah fair enough. It's a huge topic to be clear so instead of relying on my own judgements, I must seek out new experience, so far I listen to some Stanford university lectures by robert, Jordan Peterson, and Voltaire helps me sleep at night lol

This is one of Jordan's better lectures

People who refuse a TV Show or movie on the sole basis that it's "childish".

I really don't understand how a Shows tone can get people away from trying something. Is it perceived reputation and being caught watching it is embarrassing?

I really don't understand how a Shows tone can get people away from trying something. Is it perceived reputation and being caught watching it is embarrassing?
I don’t watch children’s movies because they’re childish. What about a kid’s movie is going to entertain me for 2 hours?

I was a little apprehensive at first going into Clone Wars, but my friend swore by it and I'm glad I pushed through because it ended up being so good. That final season really hits hard too.

Well, if the qualities associated with the show don't align with their self perception, I don't think there's anything wrong with someone deciding without watching it's not for them. Some people really value their self perception (even when it's not an accurate one). Sure it would be nice if people were open to new experiences but if they go into it believing they won't like it, chances are they're not going to like it. I only have a problem if they judge other people harshly for their tastes without actually understanding what it is they're criticizing.

Last edited:

Who decides what is or isn't childish though? What's considered childish to one person may not be to another, but if there's a general consensus or perception then most will follow it unfortunately.

Last edited:
I don’t watch children’s movies because they’re childish. What about a kid’s movie is going to entertain me for 2 hours?
Nothing. The point is that nothing about a kid vs adult movie or show (though it isn't an on/off switch, there are grey areas) that should inherently be bad based on the label alone.

Kids movie/show can still make stories and characters around darker or emotional driven themes (Inside Out being the obvious example), meanwhile adult shows can still make stories and characters that are completely silly and nothing serious (South Park being the obvious example). The only real differing factor is the former can't have much violence (unless it's robots then apparently the violence can be as hard-core as it wants), naughty words and nudity content. Granted, if these are your priorities in your show or movie then I guess fair enough.

I think "childish" and "edgelord" are such broad strokes just to not like a show because in actuality you're not into the actual material or the genre in general. I don't like Dora the Explorer because it's childish, I don't like Dora the Explorer because its an educational show trying to interact with young kids and teach them extremely basic stuff which I'm not into. I like shows that have great characters to get invested in and how they all interact with each other. That's my priority and that can happen in any show regardless if it's accessible to kids or only meant for adults.

Well, if the qualities associated with the show don't align with their self perception, I don't think there's anything wrong with someone deciding without watching it's not for them. Some people really value their self perception (even when it's not an accurate one). Sure it would be nice if people were open to new experiences but if they go into it believing they won't like it, chances are they're not going to like it. I only have a problem if they judge other people harshly for their tastes without actually understanding what it is they're criticizing.
It's more of a confusion. Like I don't get how that would stop someone from wanting to watch something in the first place.

Who decides what is or isn't childish though? What's considered childish to one person may not be to another, but if there's a general consensus or perception then most will follow it unfortunately.
That's pretty much it. For some people childish is as simple as the age rating, for others it's if they consider the themes "not dark enough" or "too dark for kids". Others are all about the nudity, violence and naughty words

I don't like Dora the Explorer because it's childish, I don't like Dora the Explorer because its an educational show trying to interact with young kids and teach them extremely basic stuff which I'm not into.
I think you’ve answered your own question.
I watch cartoons but it doesn’t necessarily mean they’re for children.
Pokémon springs to mind as something I watch which has themes that adults can enjoy as well as kids, making it a family show.

Modern kids shows have evolved to have something for adults so they can be watched as family shows; Peppa Pig, Pokoyo and the like that my daughter watches have little jokes that only an adult would get but I’d never watch any of those shows by myself. And when my daughter is watching I’m still not interested in it other than for her sake because she enjoys it.

So would I refuse to watch a Peppa Pig movie alone because it’s childish? Yep. And I bet you would too.

I dare you to watch an episode of Blippi on YouTube and tell me you wouldn’t refuse to watch more because it “childish”.

Last edited:
It is very frustrating dealing with people who bring up someone else's feedback that isn't there in person to actually tell you, seemingly to only get a reaction out of you. Most of the time it's someone with me saying "Oh man, ______ is angry with you! Because you forgot/did ______." One of the employees at my work in a different department does it all the time, acting like his issue with a customer is MY issue. "The customer's pissed that you didn't bring them their car an hour ago!" Despite the fact I was in the middle of another job that was delayed out of my control, but he will always bring up how upset someone else is that isn't there. Sometimes it is true, but I feel like it's always just someone putting words into someone else's mouth. I apologized to a customer for delaying something I had no control over, but they were understanding and grateful, yet frustrated with the other staff on miscommunicating. So...why was I the one told the customer was angry, like it was towards me?

In short, I am very tired of hearing people say "So and so is pissed at you!" like they want to get some sort of reaction out of me. For me personally, it brings panic as I do not like dealing with drama or confrontation. People need to stop doing that, when the person they say that to has little knowledge or control of what happened.

I feel like my explanation of this annoyance is more of a mess that could have been compressed. But I can't think of the word to call these kind of people who are always throwing someone else's supposed words at me. Half the time, the person who was "pissed" and not there to tell me they were, is not actually as upset as the mutual person said.

Solve that problem - divorce yourself from others. If people piss you off, avoid people.
It’s very easy to take a “meh” attitude to people when they try to bring drama upon you. Try not to get wrapped up in the minutia of things, just let it go. Life’s too short to be pissed off at irrelevant things.
If you’re hearing second hand feedback there’s even more reason to let it slide. Is it making your life easier or more complicated by getting involved?
If you know you’ve done nothing wrong then just dismiss it. There’s no use in making a bit deal over something that can be ignored.

Back