Things that confuse/annoy you

• Thread starter UnkaD
  • 2,191 comments
The whole glitch effects I see in videos and pictures tend to annoy me. I keep thinking something is wrong with my TV or PC monitor, but all is okay. It's just those effects that seem to rack my brains a bit.
I get the same effect from excessive Autotune usage on a record. I cannot endure it.
Deliberate use of Autotune on audio vocals is almost as bad as poor quality CGI in movies.

What kind of humans have skulls that look like this? Or did they all become extinct due to tooth decay?

F33E6C52-A250-4ECE-B3D6-8413DB762800.jpeg

Last edited:
I know that even annoying commercials do their job of getting in your head and just about all of them are irritating in their own way. But the ones that bother me most are the fake conversations about the product/service. One that I keep hearing on my work's terrible Spotify (non-premium) radio that really should be played in the showroom is something about colon help. It makes no sense someone would just do a conversation like this:

Person 1: "Wow, what a beautiful view from this hike!"

Person 2: "I know! But did you know you should try _____ for your colon?"

Person 1: "Oh wow, I didn't know that. I should give it a try!"

Person 2: -instead of talking normally, goes off on a whole advertising spiel about the product for your colon-

Ah yes, I love to tell people about their colons after a nice hike. Or describe side effects of a drug while vacationing with my significant other out of the blue. Marketing people really do live in their own world thinking people would have conversations like this normally. And yes, I'm aware it's not always supposed to be taken seriously and will annoy folks into remembering their stupid ad. But I'm just bothered by commercials making it out like it's normal to talk about medications/operations while listing off side effects and potential hazards like an ad in a "real world situation."

I know that even annoying commercials do their job of getting in your head and just about all of them are irritating in their own way. But the ones that bother me most are the fake conversations about the product/service.
Over here, we have ads for life insurance and funeral cover that are almost always centred around older folks cheerfully talking about their inevitable demise and how going with brand X is such a time-saver; this is usually at a family gathering (such as a grandchild's birthday or something) no less. It's not that they're annoying to me, just rather so bizarre and oddly morbid that I can't help having a small chuckle when I see one.

Homophobic people and people who are greedy for money.

Yep, they are part of the people who annoy me.

I was offended when I found out that some homophobic people attacked some LGBT people. Homophobic people are idiots because they deny the truth that not everyone is straight.

And I hate how some greedy people care about money rather than their friends, families, and others like feelings. They pollute their souls with greed. Yep, they don't realize that there is a lot to life rather than money. Yep, some greedy people are the reason why I stopped searching for a cheap, used Xbox Series X in the eBay auction because expensive bids sometimes happen to cheap video game systems in eBay auctions.

I was offended when I found out that some homophobic people attacked some LGBT people. Homophobic people are idiots because they deny the truth that not everyone is straight.
Slow down there son, don’t get your knickers in a twist.

Please understand that some people see homosexuality as a sin, or just something they’re not keen on. It doesn’t mean we’re all against it, but you don’t need to be for it either.

Have you tried not being offended?

Let me help you out.

Several years ago I was assaulted, grievously, by a man who thought he could throw himself upon me without consequence. That was a person I knew well.
The result of my protestation, not wanted to be kissed by a man, was met with extreme violence that left me with a severed optical nerve and large amounts of shame, not to mention a huge hospital bill after needing a CT scan to make sure my brain was still in place.

Why are you surprised that homophobic people attacked some alphabet people? Isn’t that par for the course of what a homophobe is?

Agreed. Not everyone is straight, there are gay people… surprise! But it’s a small percentage of the population because most people engage in a heterosexual relationship with the opposite sex.

Gays may be the minority, and that’s just a thing. So what? You gay? Who cares?

Spare me the grievance and just get on with your life.

When you start with “I was offended”… you’re immediately the victim.

Have you tried not being offended? It works for me. Try not giving a **** once in a while and see how you feel.

Alternatively, if you need some help and would like somebody to listen to your plight, I’m all ears. Feel free to drop me a message and expect somebody to listen to whatever you have to say without judgement.

Good night.

I hate to act like the whole "the old days were better!" and "it's not the same anymore!" types, but the amount of growth in my local town is getting out of hand. The infrastructure is not meant for this much traffic and the amount of expansion is ridiculous, especially when I see how much land they're destroying for more developments. I don't want to sound like an environmentalist, but the amount of untouched land that's been torn down (mostly trees) for the sake of more and more apartment buildings or cookie cutter houses built so close together that there's zero privacy is infuriating as someone who's lived in this once fairly small-ish suburban town. It feels like it's overdeveloped with every open area they can find and you just know these developers only care about the money they're getting, along with town officials.

I'm not against them using the old horse racing track we had and turning into a new neighborhood, but the amount of trees torn down is just too much. It's understandable that population has risen over the years and it certainly helps local economies with growth, but when the infrastructure can't keep up and the amount of environments destroyed for more buildings is frustrating.

Here's a local example that's not...the best example of such things.

2015:
314941147_10229937662045046_8004871469774116695_n.jpg

2022:
314508634_10229937662205050_4638885783051126884_n.jpg

This particular area isn't as bad as the other developments where there's hardly any room or greenery at all.

On the other hand, this area is just walls of buildings... This one is probably one of the worst as this street view was from 2019 and there's even MORE buildings in front of the ones you see in this photo. Safe to say, I want to move out of my hometown ASAP, but I'm sure it's no better in other states/towns. The state of Maine has been especially egregious with so many transfers from other states.
315032753_10229937675525383_6113779318526054_n.jpg

Only just remembered the term, but I guess it basically is just gentrification. Doesn't help a lot of the new housing has driven up prices for everyone who's lived here a long time. I get that the state of Maine is attractive to people, especially with working from home, but man...it just hurts to see this much change.

Last edited:
I hate to act like the whole "the old days were better!" and "it's not the same anymore!" types, but the amount of growth in my local town is getting out of hand. The infrastructure is not meant for this much traffic and the amount of expansion is ridiculous, especially when I see how much land they're destroying for more developments. I don't want to sound like an environmentalist, but the amount of untouched land that's been torn down (mostly trees) for the sake of more and more apartment buildings or cookie cutter houses built so close together that there's zero privacy is infuriating as someone who's lived in this once fairly small-ish suburban town. It feels like it's overdeveloped with every open area they can find and you just know these developers only care about the money they're getting, along with town officials.

I'm not against them using the old horse racing track we had and turning into a new neighborhood, but the amount of trees torn down is just too much. It's understandable that population has risen over the years and it certainly helps local economies with growth, but when the infrastructure can't keep up and the amount of environments destroyed for more buildings is frustrating.

Here's a local example that's not...the best example of such things.

2015:
314941147_10229937662045046_8004871469774116695_n.jpg

2022:
314508634_10229937662205050_4638885783051126884_n.jpg

This particular area isn't as bad as the other developments where there's hardly any room or greenery at all.

On the other hand, this area is just walls of buildings... This one is probably one of the worst as this street view was from 2019 and there's even MORE buildings in front of the ones you see in this photo. Safe to say, I want to move out of my hometown ASAP, but I'm sure it's no better in other states/towns. The state of Maine has been especially egregious with so many transfers from other states.
315032753_10229937675525383_6113779318526054_n.jpg

Only just remembered the term, but I guess it basically is just gentrification. Doesn't help a lot of the new housing has driven up prices for everyone who's lived here a long time. I get that the state of Maine is attractive to people, especially with working from home, but man...it just hurts to see this much change.
I wouldn't say my town is small as I live within 20 miles of LA, but this is happening even here. Everytime someone moves out of a house, it gets torn down and replaced by an apartment building. Businesses too. A place closes down and you can bet money it'll be demolished to make way for a new string of "luxury" apartment complexes or shoulder to shoulder condos. They're popping up everywhere. And I really mean everywhere.

And they're choking the infrastructure instead of expanding it. They want everyone out of cars over here, so instead of improving the main streets around here they actually started narrowing them! Our busiest street was reduced from two lanes each direction down to just one while expanding the sidewalk to a laughable size and adding a huge bicycle lane that I have seen maybe two or three people use in the past year.

A one or two minute drive to go three blocks now takes like ten minutes. It's absolutely insane.

The fact that so much development involves clearing trees and replacing them with little saplings when it doesn't seem strictly necessary to do so bothers me more than property development in and of itself.

By the time trees planted on such a developed property grow to a decent size, the property is probably due for redevelopment from scratch, right?

I think we have the technology to be a little more mindful about appreciating the benefits of trees. No one likes unshaded parking on a hot summer day, for a simple self-interested example.

The fact that so much development involves clearing trees and replacing them with little saplings when it doesn't seem strictly necessary to do so bothers me more than property development in and of itself.

By the time trees planted on such a developed property grow to a decent size, the property is probably due for redevelopment from scratch, right?
That reminds me of what I find annoying about most parking lots for stores, not having many shaded areas for parking to keep the car interiors from getting toasty during the summer.

I would welcome more trees being left alone when constructing parking lots.

---
Another thing that has annoyed me recently, certain road design cues and driving laws. I find speed limits to be really annoying, they're set at 55 mph in many places, but noone I've seen has ever followed it (except for me). and the fact there's too many people speeding 10-20 mph over for police to even enforce it, it makes me wonder why they're there in the first place.

Working in the construction industry, on paper I agree that it would be nice but there are a few problems with that.

Like having to work around columns or existing infrastructure when doing a renovation, trees are never in the right place when laying out streets, a parking lot or building.

Existing trees are likely to be old and of questionable health so to avoid the liability and potential damage, they need to go.

The damage done to the root system during construction would almost assuredly affect the health of the tree. See the previous point.

That reminds me of what I find annoying about most parking lots for stores, not having many shaded areas for parking to keep the car interiors from getting toasty during the summer.

---
Another thing that has annoyed me recently, certain road design cues and driving laws. I find speed limits to be really annoying, they're set at 55 mph in many places, but noone I've seen has ever followed it (except for me). and the fact there's too many people speeding 10-20 mph over for police to even enforce it, it makes me wonder why they're there in the first place.
55mph is an economical speed. It’s when most car engines are most efficient.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the speed limits are there to ensure sensible fuel usage as much as to curb speeder.

There are roads that I’ve seen in the US (not in person) that have 55 limits in areas where 70-80+ is perfectly rational.

I actually can’t think of a national speed limit which is lower than the US (is 55 the national limit?)*

Most of Europe and Asia have highway limits for cars and bikes in excess of 60mph.

*Edit: I just Googled that and confirmed 55 is the national limit since the ‘70s.

Edit2: seems the 55 limit was to conserve fuel during an embargo.

Last edited:
55mph is an economical speed. It’s when most car engines are most efficient.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the speed limits are there to ensure sensible fuel usage as much as to curb speeder.

There are roads that I’ve seen in the US (not in person) that have 55 limits in areas where 70-80+ is perfectly rational.

I actually can’t think of a national speed limit which is lower than the US (is 55 the national limit?)*

Most of Europe and Asia have highway limits for cars and bikes in excess of 60mph.

*Edit: I just Googled that and confirmed 55 is the national limit since the ‘70s.

The US set a Nationally Mandated Speed Limit (NMSL) of 55 in 1974, as a conservation measure. There were some states and localities which were using a 55mph limit beforehand, but it varied from state to state. In 1987, the absolute speed limit was raised to 65mph, but on Interstate Highways only. Basically, our national motorway system of access-controlled* routes with at least two** lanes in each direction. Not all states raised their Interstate limits, though. So that meant a few connecting routes were added into the system, so as long as they met design and safety standards so that the 65mph limit could be retained.

As a "states' rights" issue, many states began to set differing speed limits on Interstate highways and other types of open road. In 1997, the NMSL was repealed. Famously, Montana had a "prudent and reasonable" daytime limit on their Interstate freeways which was effectively no limit at all. They changed it around 2000 or so. Many states kept 55 on paved rural 2-lane roads, although a few might go higher that that if it has a low count.

So there are places like Texas which have 70-80 mph on all sorts or roads, some of them lightly-used two-lane roads with wide shoulders, and even 85mph on a stretch of Texas Toll 130 (used to lure folks to help defray the costs of a lesser-used route).

Texas State Highway 105, about an hour northeast of Houston

The South has several places with 65-70mph limits on 4+ lane routes, as well as some of the wide-open places in the Midwest and isolated spots in the Northeastern US. If it's in a larger city than the traffic counts are greater and the exit spacing is closer, so speed limits almost always slow down to compensate. Construction zones and lane reduction almost always have lower speed limits.

Glenwood Canyon, Colorado on Interstate 70

Traffic engineers ideally should suggest speed limits at the 85th-percentile of all motorists on a given stretch of road. But there's also some needed consistency to take away guesswork and try to prevent overzealous speed traps. On the other hand, just because everyone wants to go 65-70 doesn't mean it's safe, considering that the "average motorist" has a number of drivers who are less than average.

* there's some places out in the rural west with cross roads for large ranch access and some oddball exceptions like Interstate 180 in Cheyenne, Wyoming. Interstate funding used to be handled a little differently 30+ years ago.

** Franconia Notch and a few other mountainous places, or previously very low-traffic routes (Interstate 95 north of Bangor, Maine used to be a basic two lane road to the Canadian border).

Last edited:
Edit: I just Googled that and confirmed 55 is the national limit since the ‘70s.

Yes, the speed limits were made 55 mph for fuel savings, at a time were every car went through fuel like crazy in the us.

But most cars on the road now are more fuel efficient than cars in the 70s and 80s. Rendering it pointless and it'll become even more pointless if most people switch to EVs later on.

Please understand that some people see homosexuality as a sin...
Have you tried not being offended?
Indeed. Alas, the shared delusion of organized religion...exists.
It doesn’t mean we’re all against it, but you don’t need to be for it either.
Go figure. It's actually possible to not be "for" something, whatever that means, and at the same time to not think one deserving of harm--much less perpetrate an act of violence against one--because they are that.
Several years ago I was assaulted, grievously, by a man who thought he could throw himself upon me without consequence. That was a person I knew well.
The result of my protestation, not wanted to be kissed by a man, was met with extreme violence that left me with a severed optical nerve and large amounts of shame, not to mention a huge hospital bill after needing a CT scan to make sure my brain was still in place.
Your intolerance toward sexual advances by another man doesn't actually make you homophobic, and while you may welcome similar advances made by a woman (though exceptions may apply), a woman not tolerating your sexual advances can't reasonably be said to be heterophobic based on that intolerance.

Similarly, a tendency toward violence in response to rebuffed advances isn't intrinsic to sexual orientation.

That experience is simultaneously awful--and I mean that--and irrelevant.

Why are you surprised that homophobic people attacked some alphabet people? Isn’t that par for the course of what a homophobe is?
It's not. It's actually possible to harbor resentment toward others and yet not perpetrate an act of violence against those you so resent. A particular individual's homophobia may never manifest publicly (not unlike pedophilia) and yet it's not unreasonable to be appalled when someone else's manifests in a heinous act perpetrated against another (not unlike child sexual abuse, though such an act isn't itself indicative of attraction).
Gays may be the minority, and that’s just a thing. So what? You gay? Who cares?
It's--it's in the post to which you responded. However infrequent it may be, some care enough to perpetrate acts of violence against those who are gay.
Spare me the grievance and just get on with your life.
A peculiar sentiment given that this particular grievance wasn't actually directed at you.

The sentiment is even more peculiar given that I distinctly recall a particular bitchfit of yours centering on the intolerance of some to rights abuses by those tasked with the preservation of rights through just enforcement of the law as well as intolerance to the historical propensity for those tasked with the preservation of rights through just enforcement of the law to not be held to account for rights abuses. I also distinctly recall, in throwing said bitchfit, you asserting that those intolerant of these things should not be so quick to complain given that others have it worse.*

Grievance isn't always rational. Point of fact, grievance is frequently irrational. Reason tends to take a backseat to grievance. But, I mean, really...it just seems like your position is that grievance is irrational and should be withheld except when you're among the aggrieved, and that's equal parts idiotic and pathetic.

When you start with “I was offended”… you’re immediately the victim.
Now see that's just absurd. Taking offense isn't victimhood. Taking offense is human nature. People get to be offended and being offended doesn't itself make one a victim.

Don't get me started on China. Y'all want to fight for rights and freedom (ah bless)? Hit up the Chinese Embassy, or go one further and address the actual slavery the still exists in the Middle East, Asia and other thrid world nations because you won't find it in the modern western world, you ****ing hypocrits.
"sPaRe Me ThE gRiEvAnCe AnD jUsT gEt On WiTh YoUr LiFe."

Last edited:
I'm both confused and annoyed that TikTok has become the biggest social media platform. Don't people realize that it's used by the Chinese government as spyware? It's bad enough handing your information over to Mark Zuckerberg, let alone Xi Jingping and all his cronies (please don't kill me). I am deeply concerned for our society if young people continue to envelope themselves in such mindless drivel whilst giving the Chinese a tonne of information.

"sPaRe Me ThE gRiEvAnCe AnD jUsT gEt On WiTh YoUr LiFe."
Will do.

I appreciate your well thought-out response. I perhaps did misconstrue the topic to an extreme.

I’m also aware that I am capable of hypocrisy. And since I don’t have a reasonable argument to your valid observations, I shall remove myself from this equation so that the confusion and annoyance may proceed on its natural course.

There is a wierd trend these days. People who inquire for or match marriage or date partners without request or with explicit disapproval are really annoying, because most of the times they care less for actual person. It's better to give advice how to be a better partner and how to live with someone than arranging a partner that can possibly manipulate and abuse them.

Does just about any action movie commercial have to have some excerpt from some sort of scene with a character screaming "WOOOOO!" in it? I guess it's supposed to get people "excited" for a film, but it's all so similar that it blends together. From hearing ads for the last F&F film to Top Gun: Maverick commercials about them coming to blu-ray/streaming, but it's always "Watch the most exciting (enter franchise name) to date! -random insert from a scene in the movie- "WWWWOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" Get it now on blu-ray!"

Just annoying how loud it gets with having to always hear some character in a movie screaming "WOOOOO!!!!" that gets used in every damn trailer/commercial. But as always with any commercial, it gets stuck in your head and you think about the crap they're advertising.

Last edited:
@MedigoFlame -- Visiting a place in the rest of the world where modern advertising is still tolerated and ad blocking is not in effect feels like visiting a foreign country to me now. Someone else's PC, my parents' Roku TV, regular old TV...

Just reading the room, I think old-fashioned ad reads like on sponsored videos/podcasts are going to win out. Not that I expect companies to pick up on this quickly.

@MedigoFlame -- Visiting a place in the rest of the world where modern advertising is still tolerated and ad blocking is not in effect feels like visiting a foreign country to me now. Someone else's PC, my parents' Roku TV, regular old TV...

Just reading the room, I think old-fashioned ad reads like on sponsored videos/podcasts are going to win out. Not that I expect companies to pick up on this quickly.
I do as much as I can to avoid ads in my personal life, but dealing with it at work as I've mentioned in this thread before. Mostly my work using Spotify (despite being against the usage rules) without paying for Premium (the managers are that cheap) and being forced to listen to some awful ads. What I don't understand is how people willingly listen to FM radio (probably because they're used to it) in a brand new car that has XM radio with no ads. Working at a dealership, I get in and out of cars after people, whether it was a customer's personal car, service loaner, or just a test drive, they switch it from XM to FM with some awful ads.

It was a nice reminder as to why I hated regular old TV when visiting my parents as they're the type to go "we have to watch the 6PM news!" and get bombarded by the ads they play these days..... Especially noticeable with the latest election.

Broadcasting is history. Streaming is superior.

Broadcast ads are unskippable. But pay a subscription to your favourite media platform and they disappear. I couldn’t go back to using YouTube with adds.

Of course, that doesn’t elevate the barrage of Manscapped, Raid Shadow Legends and VPNs ads used as sponsorship.

I forgot XM radio is a thing. :lol: Haven't had a car with that yet. With the way things have gone, maybe I never will!

Broadcasting is history. Streaming is superior.
It's really true. I can't think of very compelling reasons to depend upon the broadcasting format for much. It's good for services like weather radios and such, but its rigid time-limited format, with a narrowed window of waking hours to fill, is so ineffective otherwise.

The worst downside to streaming I can think of by comparison is that the internet is down more often than TV. I think that's about it. For once, 21st-century society embraced a technology that is actually better than what it replaces.

What confuses me atm, if only a tiny bit, is why was I so obsessed with finding love/romance/sex/etc.? I feel that now that I no longer give a damn, I feel so much more free. Yeah, I've never had a gf, but so what? Who cares? Not my family and friends, for one, who are all very supportive of anything I do - within reason, of course.

EDIT: Heck, a major reason why people get desperate for love - having kids - was never on the table for me, anyway. Not that I'm shaming anyone who does have (or is interesting in having) kids, such as my older sister. But I never was interested, even the slightest iota, in reproducing.

EDIT2: Look, if I find a woman who's a great female friend, that'd be great, but I'm not interested in actively pursuing it anymore, y'know? At this point, I'd probably see her much more like my male friends, even if she was single. I don't see fact that I don't care as a confession of some sort of surrender or defeat, but more as a declaration of a new journey towards personal happiness, freedom, and liberation from any social norms anyone may try (or have tried) to impose on me.

EDIT3: Oh! I should've mentioned what got me to do a 180 on this sorta thing. I fully internalized that being in a serious relationship would mean notably less time for my interests, both recreational and professional.

Last edited:
Back