Things that confuse/annoy you

• Thread starter UnkaD
  • 2,191 comments
I think you’ve answered your own question.
I watch cartoons but it doesn’t necessarily mean they’re for children.
Pokémon springs to mind as something I watch which has themes that adults can enjoy as well as kids, making it a family show.

Modern kids shows have evolved to have something for adults so they can be watched as family shows; Peppa Pig, Pokoyo and the like that my daughter watches have little jokes that only an adult would get but I’d never watch any of those shows by myself. And when my daughter is watching I’m still not interested in it other than for her sake because she enjoys it.

So would I refuse to watch a Peppa Pig movie alone because it’s childish? Yep. And I bet you would too.

I dare you to watch an episode of Blippi on YouTube and tell me you wouldn’t refuse to watch more because it “childish”.
I wouldn't relabel it just because it had something for adults though, I know "family" is something around for several of these movies and shows when they have something more complicated than learning shapes but it just feels like a cover word just so people don't admit they watched something for kids. Pokémon still is at its core, targeted at kids. They're the ones that watch the show and want their parents to by the merch for them (adults do, do that too but they're in the minority).

I actually watched a Peppa Pig episode recently after going through meme videos just to see what its actually like, and yeah I didn't like it but I could describe why I didn't like it more than it just being childish. Nothing really happens to any of the characters and Peppa herself is actually quite the awful person who barely learns anything :lol:.

From what I look at Blippi, basically fits in the criteria that I described Dora the Explorer so I'm definitely not interested in it but it's for that reason.

You can argue these things is what makes a show or movie "childish", but I much rather more detail reasons why not to like something over a buzzword that everyone uses differently.

Solve that problem - divorce yourself from others. If people piss you off, avoid people.
It’s very easy to take a “meh” attitude to people when they try to bring drama upon you. Try not to get wrapped up in the minutia of things, just let it go. Life’s too short to be pissed off at irrelevant things.
If you’re hearing second hand feedback there’s even more reason to let it slide. Is it making your life easier or more complicated by getting involved?
If you know you’ve done nothing wrong then just dismiss it. There’s no use in making a bit deal over something that can be ignored.
I really do find myself wanting to avoid people for many reasons... I find myself caring "too much" about something happening, even if it's technically not in my control. I'm sure it sounds like an excuse, but growing up with my mom who would ALWAYS do this to me really didn't help me socially. She would always make things up to work me up, most of the time not being true. She's very manipulative and still is to this day. (One example would be her saying she'd let our parakeet fly out of the house because she was tired of taking care of it after my brother and I moved out. Knowing I care about animals and would take over, even though my brother and I agreed on not having any pets at our apartment. Not quite the same as the situation I talked about earlier, but just showing how bad she can be.)

To this day I still worry about doing something wrong when someone says that to me. Heck, I had a friend yesterday say that and all I could do was worry and want to apologize profusely for something so minor as to have accidentally disable reversing lines on a car's backup camera.... (He told me his wife was pissed that I disabled the lines while messing around with a test car's systems during a photoshoot)

I feel like I struggle to let things go, way too often. Hate to blame it on childhood "trauma," but my therapist had said that was the reason for my social anxieties and that my mom did so much wrong. Sorry if this seems a bit deep for a thread about "annoyances," but as you brought up, this little thing affects me more than it really should. Unfortunately my therapist passed away last year and I've been struggling with these minor things again.

Last edited:
Here are the things that may not confuse me, but definetly annoy me now. English isn't my first language, sorry if its messy I usually dont post long posts like these. Don't worry Im not calling out anyone here specifically in the thread, not connected to posts before just my general opinions.

1. When I hear people (on social media and live) spouting generic surface level advice like "never give up", "to achieve something you need to work for it", "its never too late" etc. and when they tout themselves into some mega intelligent and full of wisdom people it annoys even offends me, especially when they belittle other people struggling with depression, poverty, sickness etc. as simply lazy. Especially thats a problem if those people are close relatives and friends, but also fake experts. Instead people should either be honest about their smaller knowledge, or not give advice at all since they don't want to risk or they don't know the right advice; not babble toxic false hope "law of attraction" kind of stuff also. Social media is full of that content since at least 2013 (from 2015 it became very political), and I was mislead personally so when I reduced the usage of social media in 2015/16 and later, I felt better, less depressive and selfhating because I was not "awesome" as all those "social media wise princesses" of all ages and genders. I later formed an opinion that circumstances and privilege are important boosters/brakes but not totally decisive most of the time, and will is needed but not enough itself for success since work, discipline etc are required, also doubting isn't sign of weakness and that one should immidietly give up.

2. On the topic of potentially toxic generic advice I absolutely dislike which gets pondered a lot on social media is "its never too late." That should only be given if goal is really attainable basically always like special desert. But saying that to person who is getting unhealthy its better to say "time is running out." Also to a person who wants to attain something "never too late" can be procastrinating. From my experience, I wish I had more of "time is running out" since free time is getting thinner. On the other hand saying "never too late" can help someone who thinks he's late but actually not. A better advice of this type is "its still not too late but time is running out, avoid getting in a state of disrepair".

3. Connected with "law of attraction", people who think that belief suddenly brings the goal without work annoy me a lot. Especially when someone responds "Belief or will is necessary, but work needs to be done too, optimism isnt enough, I am trying to be real" annoying people claim AtHeIsM!!11!!!!!1! when in reality many successful religious people are hard workers too. They are either lazy jelaous people, or never went to do somethin out of their comfort zone or alone without support.

4. On the other hand, people who attack other people simply because they complain about difficulty and discomfort but still go on. Yes, liking to do everything and experiencing new things without any stress is wonderful craft congrats but it takes time to love all work, and most young people, especially ones whose parents, schools etc didnt provide them with work ethic, still need to "grit their teeth" through discomfort instead of being totally calm and happy. Most of the time these "worklover" people avoid doing things they don't like but they need to steer attention I guess. Also I doubt it that there are people who love all work ideally. Its much more likely to find people who either enjoy or are neutral about deed or work they need to do. I actually prefer these humble people since their advice is much more useful and realistic.

5. Humbleness is sadly a virtue that is going out of style :( people overrate their success and downplay their failures all the time these days too much and not psychologically but intentionally more.

Last edited:
When people talk about towing the line and having their interest peaked, it doesn't annoy me as much as having my English "corrected" when I use phrases like "toe the line" and "piquing my interest".

Last edited:
2. On the topic of potentially toxic generic advice I absolutely dislike which gets pondered a lot on social media is "its never too late." That should only be given if goal is really attainable basically always like special desert. But saying that to person who is getting unhealthy its better to say "time is running out." Also to a person who wants to attain something "never too late" can be procastrinating. From my experience, I wish I had more of "time is running out" since free time is getting thinner. On the other hand saying "never too late" can help someone who thinks he's late but actually not. A better advice of this type is "its still not too late but time is running out, avoid getting in a state of disrepair".
This is a person by person basis. I have a friend who will way too easily give up on a lot of things and telling her "time is running out" will just make her give up all together. I think the better saying would be "it's not too late, but you'll eventually have to act". Don't give them a deadline they can imagine (unless they are the kind of person that gets motivated by deadlines, again, person by person).

When people talk about towing the line and having their interest peaked doesn't annoy me as much as having my English "corrected" when I use phrases like "toe the line" and "piquing my interest".
This has happened to me several times because I use “practise” as verb.

This is a person by person basis. I have a friend who will way too easily give up on a lot of things and telling her "time is running out" will just make her give up all together. I think the better saying would be "it's not too late, but you'll eventually have to act". Don't give them a deadline they can imagine (unless they are the kind of person that gets motivated by deadlines, again, person by person).
You're right about that. Putting people down isn't good advice at all. It is important to look at a state of person. Depressive people need optimistic advice generally for example.

What annoys me greatly is people standing outside places in busy town centres smoking as a good 20 meters around where they are stinks it is vile.
Gran Turismo also annoys me as since GT4 they have made it harder and harder with every release now we have GT7 which is so hard I scrapped it off lol.
People with booze breath talking absolute rubbish and saying it again and again wind me up a lot I hate drunks.

Arrogant police officers who are to stupid to solve crime so harrass innocent people trying to make up a crime so they can make an arrest, they keep pushing and walking in to you and as soon as you touch them you're nicked for assaulting a police officer even though they walk in to you.

what annoys me is when my coworkers in my department walk by and don't say good morning...there is 5 people in my department 3 regular associates which include me and my supervisor and manager... everyone says good morning except my manager and when she does say good morning its only to my supervisor... I think its rude that everyone is sitting there and she just completely ignores all of us except my supervisor...I try to reciprocate that negative energy and be petty by saying good night to everyone by name and then just walk by my manager as if she doesnt exist lol

Last edited:
The idea that having the YouTubers facial reaction in the thumbnail gets more clicks.

It does the opposite for me, and I tend to avoid them because I expect something annoying. So if they do this because it gets them more views, how is this working?

These.

bloody-cans.jpg

No, not the San Miguel, that's great. Those bloody sticky dots they use instead of the plastic ring things to hold cans together.

I understand the enviromental positives and I'm sure that swans, turtles and stupid people with really small heads appreciate not being strangled. But...

THEY DONT WORK!

or

THEY WORK WAAAAY TOO WELL.

Either you can't get them apart or you have to be happy walking away with a purchase in hand that someone has sellotaped together in the most 'well, this guy is going to drink these in a bus shelter alone' sort of way possible.

There has to be a better solution.

These.

View attachment 1156432

No, not the San Miguel, that's great. Those bloody sticky dots they use instead of the plastic ring things to hold cans together.

I understand the enviromental positives and I'm sure that swans, turtles and stupid people with really small heads appreciate not being strangled. But...

THEY DONT WORK!

or

THEY WORK WAAAAY TOO WELL.

Either you can't get them apart or you have to be happy walking away with a purchase in hand that someone has sellotaped together in the most 'well, this guy is going to drink these in a bus shelter alone' sort of way possible.

There has to be a better solution.
I had a conversation about this yesterday with the owner of the local beer shop.
It’s good that the environment is considered, but the bloody things don’t work.
They’ve really just replaced the plastic rings with a glue gun.

Repeating jokes at nauseum has been around long enough, but saying memes over and over is tiring and the lack of the usual visual context doesn't make it that funny.

One of my co-workers loves to say memes aloud to almost any situation, to the point of it being more annoying than funny. Some examples would be:

Loud car/vehicle drives by or starts up: "_____ goes brrrrr"

Owner/driver of a vehicle does something stupid: "Why are _____ owners/drivers like this?" (Not sure if this is so much a meme, but it's something repeated often...)

Anything done "stupidly" is followed by: "This is not big brain time" (Heck, had to listen to my neighbor's 9 year old kid repeatedly saying "big brain time" this or "big brain" that. Like trying to suggest something to help me by saying "I have a big brain idea to help you!")

Just a few that I can think of off the top of my head, but I just can't help but want to tell my co-worker who almost lives and breathes memes to just stop. He can have some amusing jokes here and there, but repeating crap like "____ goes brrrr" for just about any mechanical thing that makes noise doesn't seem all that funny.

Repeating jokes at nauseum has been around long enough, but saying memes over and over is tiring and the lack of the usual visual context doesn't make it that funny.

One thing I don't miss about constantly working with the same co-workers is overhearing the same tired jokes and phrases multiple times a day for years. Some are better than others and knew how to change up and freshen their routine.

Of course, it doesn't help that sometimes the clients and customers are a repetitive bunch, so you have to expect to deal with many of them in a vaguely similar manner.

One thing I don't miss about constantly working with the same co-workers is overhearing the same tired jokes and phrases multiple times a day for years. Some are better than others and knew how to change up and freshen their routine.

Of course, it doesn't help that sometimes the clients and customers are a repetitive bunch, so you have to expect to deal with many of them in a vaguely similar manner.
Doesn't help I sit next to this meme generator, which is okay but memes never really worked as a joke "in real life" than online. Still to this day I don't understand the "____ goes brrr" meme and don't see how it's funny to people. That's what annoys me, when people think internet memes are funny by repeating them aloud in person. I feel like memes only really work as a visual yet mostly silent joke that you read, rather than say out loud. Even then, memes have become grating at this point and I find more jokes/enjoyment out of actual multi-panel comics. (Which memes end up stealing and ruining)

As a customer facing employee at my dealership, I can definitely agree to the customers and clients being repetitive. Especially in today's situation of "Wow, are you guys closing? You have no cars! Hehehe"

Last edited:
As a customer facing employee at my dealership, I can definitely agree to the customers and clients being repetitive. Especially in today's situation of "Wow, are you guys closing? You have no cars! Hehehe"

In my line of work, I heard the phrase "Can I get a quick oil change?" quite a lot. Just for once, I'd like to hear: "Can I get a slow oil change?"

"You know...where they wait around an hour before putting the vehicle on the rack? Hang out in the parts department and talk about everything else but my vehicle? Leisurely drain all the oil and watch a couple of YouTube videos long after that's happened? Check out several things on the vehicle, while you're at it? And then I'll postpone calling you back a few hours with your recommendations, and then I tell you 'I just need my car back now!' And make too much chit-chat with the cashier when I go pay for it?"

One thing I don't miss about constantly working with the same co-workers is overhearing the same tired jokes and phrases multiple times a day for years.
side eyes coworker who decided caterwauling along to instore music is the peak of comedy

It's 'pain aux chocolat' NOT 'chocolate croissant'! A croissant is crescent shaped - the clue's in the name ffs! Please stop this nonsense. :mad:

I never understood the whole idea of wanting a character to be "relatable" in fiction

Usually when I watch a show and pick a favourite character, it's often their character makes for a lot of interesting pieces and interactions in a story, or whether or not I find the characters journey to be inspiring even if I don't relate to it or not. Not trying to say liking a relatable character is a bad thing, but I don't understand why that's a core factor for some people instead of just characters you can enjoy watching regardless of how they relate.

I never understood the whole idea of wanting a character to be "relatable" in fiction

Usually when I watch a show and pick a favourite character, it's often their character makes for a lot of interesting pieces and interactions in a story, or whether or not I find the characters journey to be inspiring even if I don't relate to it or not. Not trying to say liking a relatable character is a bad thing, but I don't understand why that's a core factor for some people instead of just characters you can enjoy watching regardless of how they relate.
I just can't enjoy a story unless the main protagonist is a mid-30s half white half filipino male from Southern California with a failed background in engineering. :grumpy: Also, he has to drive a Subaru.

It's 'pain aux chocolat' NOT 'chocolate croissant'! A croissant is crescent shaped - the clue's in the name ffs! Please stop this nonsense. :mad:
I’ve never heard it called a chocolate croissant before. Surely a chocolate croissant is one with Nutella.

Being interrupted during conversation
Oh boy, this is something I see far too often, and theirs few things that annoy me more than this. In fact, this is one of these things that annoys me so much, just the very thought of someone doing it is enough to put me in a mood and my reaction when someone actually does it is not any better. I could talk on and on about this and still not be done with it, but I'll just give what I feel is the most annoying example I can think of.
Prior to the pandemic, we used to have Christmas plays at my college every year, and when we did, we had one teacher who did this way too often when we were trying to get it all set up. Anytime I needed to ask a question or just say anything at all to her, I could not for the life of me finish a single sentence around her because she interrupted every single time. She did this to the other teachers as well and it drove me crazy because just trying to talk to her at all was like nailing Jello to a wall. In her defense though, she had a lot going on and seemed frustrated because of it. At the same time though, I don't think it would've killed her to take a few seconds out of her day to let someone finish what they needed to say, especially if it could help her. I mean, we could have had all the answers to her problems and she would've never known because she wouldn't shut up long enough for anyone to explain it! :grumpy:

Looking back now, I think having to deal with her being like this every year is what bothered me more than the actual plays. (which I also hated) I eventually got to where I avoided talking to her and just went to somebody else if I needed to say something because I felt trying to talk to her just wasn't worth the effort. Fortunately, she quit not too long ago, and knowing I don't have to deal with this anymore, I can't say I miss her. (I have other reasons for feeling this way, but they aren't too relevant here)
To be fair, sometimes it's understandable. Sometimes it's an honest mistake and the person doesn't mean to do it, I think we've all done it at least once. Or if theirs an emergency and you really need to get the word out as soon as possible, by all means, don't waste any time! And theirs the fact the person may not be able to help it much, I have a cousin and 2 ex-girlfriends that have ADHD and they all were bad to do this, (albeit to varying degrees) but my research indicates, that's just part of their problem.

Though if you're like the person I mentioned above, please stop!
being asked a question but not afforded the opportunity to answer.
I don't see this very often I don't think, but I do remember at least one guy doing this in high school. Still annoying if it happens at all though.
There’s probably plenty of 60+ folks who have never realised that talking over others is not only rude but belittling.
Well, I have an uncle who is around this age range and he's notorious for doing this. Whether or not he realizes he does it, I don't know for sure, but I have gotten to where I just don't expect to talk to him much anymore.

Last edited:
Oh boy, this is something I see far too often, and theirs few things that annoy me more than this. In fact, this is one of these things that annoys me so much, just the very thought of someone doing it is enough to put me in a mood and my reaction when someone actually does it is not any better. I could talk on and on about this and still not be done with it, but I'll just give what I feel is the most annoying example I can think of.
Prior to the pandemic, we used to have Christmas plays at my college every year, and when we did, we had one teacher who did this way too often when we were trying to get it all set up. Anytime I needed to ask a question or just say anything at all to her, I could not for the life of me finish a single sentence around her because she interrupted every single time. She did this to the other teachers as well and it drove me crazy because just trying to talk to her at all was like nailing Jello to a wall. In her defense though, she had a lot going on and seemed frustrated because of it. At the same time though, I don't think it would've killed her to take a few seconds out of her day to let someone finish what they needed to say, especially if it could help her. I mean, we could have had all the answers to her problems and she would've never known because she wouldn't shut up long enough for anyone to explain it! :grumpy:

Looking back now, I think having to deal with her being like this every year is what bothered me more than the actual plays. (which I also hated) I eventually got to where I avoided talking to her and just went to somebody else if I needed to say something because I felt trying to talk to her just wasn't worth the effort. Fortunately, she quit not too long ago, and knowing I don't have to deal with this anymore, I can't say I miss her. (I have other reasons for feeling this way, but they aren't too relevant here)
To be fair, sometimes it's understandable. Sometimes it's an honest mistake and the person doesn't mean to do it, I think we've all done it at least once. Or if theirs an emergency and you really need to get the word out as soon as possible, by all means, don't waste any time! And theirs the fact the person may not be able to help it much, I have a cousin and 2 ex-girlfriends that have ADHD and they all were bad to do this, (albeit to varying degrees) but my research indicates, that's just part of their problem.

Though if you're like the person I mentioned above, please stop!

I don't see this very often I don't think, but I do remember at least one guy doing this in high school. Still annoying if it happens at all though.

Well, I have an uncle who is around this age range and he's notorious for doing this. Whether or not he realizes he does it, I don't know for sure, but I have gotten to where I just don't expect to talk to him much anymore.
If I’m honest, I’ve been guilty of doing it myself in the past. Due to a terribly faulty memory function I would cut people off to interject and respond before I’d forgotten my thought train.
It took me a while to even realise I was doing it and I now practise speaking in turn and not interrupting others when I can help it.

If I’m honest, I’ve been guilty of doing it myself in the past. Due to a terribly faulty memory function I would cut people off to interject and respond before I’d forgotten my thought train.
It took me a while to even realise I was doing it and I now practise speaking in turn and not interrupting others when I can help it.
And I can kind of understand that honestly, but hey, you learned from your mistake and that's what counts! :) It's the ones who don't learn I have the biggest problem with, like that woman I mentioned earlier who did a lot of what I said every year until she quit.

Last edited:
One thing that confuses me and annoys me is when people empathize with perpetrator instead of victim. Especially in parents-children case, EDIT where children are victims

Last edited:
When a game has a flawed design that makes it difficult, it's apparently excused by "git gud" to anyone who complains about these issues.

A problem with a game is a problem with the game, I like difficulty as much as the next guy but when it comes from clumsy design it's less of a challenge and more just random **** but it gets a free pass when you bring your issues up as "a skill issue".

Example, in the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course Pass Wave 2. There's a shortcut in Snow Land where you have to go through invisible out of bounds zones, the fact they are invisible is the problem and you're just aiming randomly and praying and just ruins the track for me but apparently all I need to do is "git gud". I just want the game to give me visual indicators on where to not go. There's apparently also an issue with the Sundae track on 50cc, 100cc and even 150cc where getting bit by an item can make you miss the last few jumps but apparently it's a skill issue for getting hit by the item in the first place. Why should the punishment be for getting hit by an item to have the section be unplayable instead of you know, taking the damage from the item?

Last edited:
@RESHIRAM5, I think you’d like the game designer channels on YouTube that go in to great detail about the things you’ve mentioned.

If you fancy, check out Game Makers Tool Kit, Adam Millard - The Architect of Games and Design Doc. These creators are on your wavelength.

Annoyed with people's lack of empathy for their treatment of a complete stranger. (If that's the right word to use, empathy) Being a complete dick to a stranger is bad enough, but what people don't realize is that the stranger may remember what you did to them. I always hear "Ah, don't worry about it, they'll forget it later today or tomorrow." Which can be mostly true, but I have a fear of seeing them again in the near future. I don't act out on a complete stranger that did something that upset me to make myself remembered by them for that reason. No one ever thinks of the consequences of their actions when interacting with a complete stranger, you could see them the next day at the same grocery store or local event.

One example I can think of is going to a gas station that had a few disabled gas pumps. I saw a FedEx truck driver parked at a disabled one, sitting in the driver's seat on his phone and hazards lights on. I pull up to the functioning gas pump in front of him in a vehicle from my dealership I work at, next thing I know he looks up and starts having a complete tantrum over me taking "his pump." I was rather annoyed and confused as to his tantrum at first, but realized he wanted the pump I was at and was waiting for. He was screaming in his truck, flailing his arms around, giving me a death glare, etc. Rather than confront, I drove to a different gas station to avoid his crap. The next day, I saw the exact same FedEx driver delivering car parts to my work's parts department and I almost felt compelled to confront him about his unprofessional behavior at the gas station the previous day or just report him. (Kind of wish I did)

Wish people would think about how they treat others before doing something inconsiderate and stupid. But people seem to think they have no consequences when doing something to upset a stranger that they think they might not see again. I've honked at people for cutting me off and giving me the finger for it, only to find out they pull in the same exact parking lot as me for something like a grocery store. If I was some nutjob, I'd probably do something stupid when confronting them about their action, but they don't seem to consider that. Somedays I wish these types of people face a consequence that will "teach them a lesson," and make them realize there's someone crazier than them.... Not wishing harm, but someone who'd confront them about their inconsiderate actions.

Back