Things that confuse/annoy you

• Thread starter UnkaD
  • 2,191 comments
Well I wasn't suggesting it was a bad post, if anything I thought it was quite good, but also humorous. I can understand where you're coming from though.
Oh, no worries at all. :)

I was also being a little coy myself -- the research was for my simulator project I've been working on. I now reckon I jumped the gun a little, creating my thread, but considering I only started learning Godot and GDScript last summer, I think I've made tremendous progress. I have a few specific things I want to take care of for an alpha demo, but most recently I've been exploring some other details instead, including forced induction and camber. I also still have a lot to learn.

It's annoying that most car dealer franchises and other retail business franchises require the same type of building that ends up being almost entirely glass. Not tinted either so you just end up getting blinded in the morning and evening.... Whoever the architect is who thought an all glass showroom was a great idea, 🤬 you, and you should try designing an office where you stare into the sun because the desk is placed poorly. And I can't move my desk because it's fixed to it's spot and I can't move to a different desk because I work at the front desk and have to greet people. We even have customers complain how brutal the sun is in the showroom....

Why do they have to design buildings to be all glass and not allow some sort of tinting.... :grumpy:

Potential customers want to see what’s on offer, dimming the view would be negative to sales, I’d imagine.

Potential customers want to see what’s on offer, dimming the view would be negative to sales, I’d imagine.

That part's understandable, but for the glass well above the cars in the showroom, doesn't do much good. Which is where the sun is right when it's directly in your eyes.

It's annoying that most car dealer franchises and other retail business franchises require the same type of building that ends up being almost entirely glass.

This drove me bonkers at one dealer I worked at, which had an 120 degree arc of paned glass, and either blinded you by morning or late afternoon no matter where you chose your desk, at nearly any time of year. Luckily service and parts departments don't have this problem quite as much as sales floors do, but some places have incorporated this design headache for the past 50 years.

While we're complaining about office spaces, who masterminded the concept of chairs which sit roughly a meter above the floor? There's no way to sit or dismount from them without looking or feeling like a complete oaf, and the wheels are a great way to have no control of what you're doing. I guess that having people stand up at your desk required some elevated platform if you were sitting in a "normal" chair which allows you to put your feet on the ground, but that increased the chances of a trip hazard and it didn't promote standing as much as these useless bar stools. Maybe that's why I'm not a fan...I avoid bars, so there's no inherent pleasure associated with that kind of seating.

Last edited:
It's annoying that most car dealer franchises and other retail business franchises require the same type of building that ends up being almost entirely glass. Not tinted either so you just end up getting blinded in the morning and evening.... Whoever the architect is who thought an all glass showroom was a great idea, 🤬 you, and you should try designing an office where you stare into the sun because the desk is placed poorly. And I can't move my desk because it's fixed to it's spot and I can't move to a different desk because I work at the front desk and have to greet people. We even have customers complain how brutal the sun is in the showroom....

Why do they have to design buildings to be all glass and not allow some sort of tinting.... :grumpy:

The Audi dealer I used to frequent in Toronto had a 3 foot tall banner on the top of the front windows. It cut down on a lot of glare especially at high noon during the summer.

While we're complaining about office spaces, who masterminded the concept of chairs which sit roughly a meter above the floor? There's no way to sit or dismount from them without looking or feeling like a complete oaf, and the wheels are a great way to have no control of what you're doing. I guess that having people stand up at your desk required some elevated platform if you were sitting in a "normal" chair which allows you to put your feet on the ground, but that increased the chances of a trip hazard and it didn't promote standing as much as these useless bar stools. Maybe that's why I'm not a fan...I avoid bars, so there's no inherent pleasure associated with that kind of seating.

I would assume to promote productivity in the workplace. You cant get out of the chairs easily, so you might as well sit there and do your job.

It's the same concept as the 15° declined toilets. They make it excruciating to sit in for longer than 5 minutes, so it dissuades people from just skipping out on work or taking prolonged breaks. If you have a genuine need to relieve yourself then you're going to have a bad time.

Last edited:
The Audi dealer I used to frequent in Toronto had a 3 foot tall banner on the top of the front windows. It cut down on a lot of glare especially at high noon during the summer.

I would assume to promote productivity in the workplace. You cant get out of the chairs easily, so you might as well sit there and do your job.

It's the same concept as the 15° declined toilets. They make it excruciating to sit in for longer than 5 minutes, so it dissuades people from just skipping out on work or taking prolonged breaks. If you have a genuine need to relieve yourself then you're going to have a bad time.
To be honest, I can laugh at the chairs because of my youthful leg-strength - but any office designer who implements declined toilets deserves a swift impact to the jaw.

On that note, my office has the absolute most thoughtless measures in place to control the spread - the entire spine of the office is one-way, so you'd theoretically have to leave the building through a shuttered exit to get back around to the other end and we have a policy of only allowing the people who need to use the office in on two days, every other week. Because an attempt at flattening the curve by unnecessarily compressing everyone into the same space worked stupendously well for TfL.

To be honest, I can laugh at the chairs because of my youthful leg-strength - but any office designer who implements declined toilets deserves a swift impact to the jaw.

On that note, my office has the absolute most thoughtless measures in place to control the spread - the entire spine of the office is one-way, so you'd theoretically have to leave the building through a shuttered exit to get back around to the other end and we have a policy of only allowing the people who need to use the office in on two days, every other week. Because an attempt at flattening the curve by unnecessarily compressing everyone into the same space worked stupendously well for TfL.

Yea pseudo-nefarious motives aside regarding those chairs, the reason most offices are arranged so poorly/use equipment that's not suitable for long engagement is due to tight budgets.

Stuff a space as cheaply as possible to get the business up and running.

Are the rotations mandatory at your workplace? Are you given the ability to just work from home entirely?

Last edited:
Yea pseudo-nefarious motives aside regarding those chairs, the reason most offices are arranged so poorly/use equipment that's not suitable for long engagement is due to tight budgets.

Stuff a space as cheaply as possible to get the business up and running.

Ah, ain't that the truth? Gotta love those long-term savings that evaporate as everything quickly becomes broken.

Are the rotations mandatory at your workplace? Are you given the ability to just work from home entirely?
It's not a mandatory rotation as such - it's more of a window for everyone to take in choosing to attend the office for business-critical processes. I'm amongst those who has to conduct a couple of those processes, but I just attend at every opportunity because I came to develop a real hatred for working from home.

It's amazing how much of a negative effect losing that physical separation can be for a few of us.

One thing that has always confused and annoyed me is the light saber fighting style in star wars.

I mean, if I was handed a light saber and had to fight an opponent armed with light saber, would I fight like they do in the movies? Hell no! I'd adopt the fighting style of fencing.

In the movies, at least most fighters swing about with the light saber like it was a heavy two handed great sword, with lots of force, using very large swinging motions, completely ignoring that the weapon weighs basically nothing and even a ginger touch with barely any force behind it could completely penetrate a body and kill the person.

Using extremely quick small as possible attacks like quick jabs, sweeping attacks performed just with a flick of the wrist and lots of stabbing using lunges would make a ton more sense.
Any experienced 17th century fencer would totally decimate Luke, Rey or Vader.

Basically, imagine these two guys with light sabers.

Last edited:
In the movies, at least most fighters swing about with the light saber like it was a heavy two handed great sword, with lots of force, using very large swinging motions, completely ignoring that the weapon weighs basically nothing and even a ginger touch with barely any force behind it could completely penetrate a body and kill the person.

That's because it's confirmed by George Lucas that lightsabers are heavy weapons. Only those gifted with their connection to the force can wield the weapon.

And now I've come full circle, arguing online about movie plot details and what's canon or not. What has my life become :lol:

Last edited:
Basically, imagine these two guys with light sabers.

The Duelists, great Ridley Scott film! Even this fight is a bit exaggerated, however, it is better than most choreographed sword fights in cinema. :lol:

What I wonder about is why plate armour is, for the most part, ineffective in cinema? We often see characters stick a sword through a breastplate. Sometimes the sword or arrow even goes through the breastplate, the mail shirt underneath, the gambeson or padded jack underneath that, through the body and out the other side through the layers of gambeson, mail and plate again. :lol:

Here's an example of what armoured fighting would look like on screen if it was written to actually work:

Now there are some fantasy elements in this film, and yes the brigands attack him one at a time for the most part, but there are some cool moments in there. Note how he uses his own suit of armour to make himself a weapon. When he loses his own weapon he is not completely helpless, he can pick up other weapons on the ground, wrestle, etc. He does get injured by daggers thrust through the weaker points of his armour, no suit of armour is perfect, but in this film it served its purpose of making the knight extremely difficult to kill.

That is what we need to see more of when armour is used in film.

He does get injured by daggers thrust through the weaker points of his armour, no suit of armour is perfect, but in this film it served its purpose of making the knight extremely difficult to kill.

That is what we need to see more of when armour is used in film.

Yes! In Game Of Thrones when the Mountain was stabbed through his PLATE armor with a spear I rolled my eyes so hard.

What most people don't know is that most knights were killed by daggers. One of the few methods to kill a knight was to wrestle him down / throw him off his horse and put a dagger through the slit of the visor, the armpit or some unprotected part of his neck. Historians believe that most knights who were killed on the battlefield died this way.
There were special daggers just for this job, so called Rondel daggers. Extremely narrow, pointy and with a disc as pommel and guard so you could push them really hard.

9c7WGcR.jpg

Of course there is also other specialized weapons that are never shown in movies, like the mace, the estoc or the Lucerne hammer, excellent weapons to fight opponents in plate armor.

Also, another annoying misconception that is often shown in movies is that knights (and infantry) used the sword as main weapon on the battlefield, when in reality they fought in tight formations with a polearm and the sword was a backup. Once you see a proper depiction of a medieval battlefield it becomes immediately clear why. Polearms have way more reach, have more power against armor and are more useful since you cannot swing weapons in formations without hitting those around you.

Like this: (the knight on the upper right corner wields a Lucerne hammer)

BXZyYeC.jpg

Medieval combat in TV is total trash.

That's because it's confirmed by George Lucas that lightsabers are heavy weapons. Only those gifted with their connection to the force can wield the weapon.

Is this true? But light weighs absolutely nothing, how does any of this work?

Last edited:
It's an interesting thing to think about, but maybe all the force(no pun intended) behind their attacks is in response to the counterforce of the opponents. They put a lot of momentum into their swings knowing that they may be blocked by as much force or more.

Then again it's all movies so whatevs; it is what it is. I'd imagine a fight with those weapons wouldn't last more than a few seconds realistically.

It's an interesting thing to think about, but maybe all the force(no pun intended) behind their attacks is in response to the counterforce of the opponents. They put a lot of momentum into their swings knowing that they may be blocked by as much force or more.

I understand that, but like in fencing, I'd make attacks that could be hardly blocked at all, quick stabbing with lunges would totally beat long powerful swinging attacks that leave you open and take forever to perform. Stabbing attacks are extremely hard to block.

But I've never understood nor liked the star wars universe, the force has always been just too space magic for me, and I can deal with a lot of space magic in sci-fi.

Honestly that franchise has a lot of plot holes and plot armor under the guise of "The Force" so a lot of logic is thrown out the window.

Lightsabers aren't actually emitting light. If they did, they would need light that has an intensity we've never seen before. If that were the case, we would be able to see and be hit by the light rays from a lightsabre all the way out in space. We dont have the technology to create a beam of light and stop it at a predetermined distance.

What we can do however is confine a plasma beam with magnetic coils. That's been done before, and are called "proto-sabers" as per the lore:

The real weapon from the movies is described as a laser sword because back in the 80s, lasers were representative of futuristic weapons technology that we don't have access to, or ever will.... maybe :P The naming back then was all they had as plot armor. So naming aside, it's not a light beam.

However it's an interesting weapon.

Last edited:
I think it's worth mentioning that the sabers are (or were originally) poles with the effect applied over the top, so the actors had to swing something that wasn't just a handle regardless.

Lightsabers aren't actually emitting light. If they did, they would need light that has an intensity we've never seen before. If that were the case, we would be able to see and be hit by the light rays from a lightsabre all the way out in space. We dont have the technology to create a beam of light and stop it at a predetermined distance.
I liked what No More Heroes did with that -- swinging around what looks like a fluorescent bulb fixture. :) Also the fancy one you get near the end of the game, that sends the support up the middle with a cap on the end.

That plasma saber is incredible! Seems more like a flame sword to me, though.

People on eBay that use stock images for what they are selling.
This both confuses and annoys me about sellers on eBay. I don't get why people can't just make their own pictures of what they're selling instead of attaching stock images there. I imagine it's possible some people on eBay may not have cameras for some reason, but I doubt that's the case with most people who do this. Sure people can give detailed descriptions of what they're selling, which they should, but I like to actually see what I am buying because pictures can do a better job at telling you about it than descriptions can at times, especially with used items. Posting stock images of what you're selling instead of ones you made yourself is just lazy, uninformative and potentially misleading. You may buy it and find out it's not what you expected because of this and it's made even worse when sellers don't fully understand what they're selling and/or don't provide relevant information on said item. (a good conversation for another time)

It annoys me the most with music CD's because I often am looking for a very specific release of a CD and them posting stock images makes it hard to know if that's it or not or what it's condition is. Of course, it's not just limited to them, it can be just about anything really.

Now if it's coming straight from whatever company makes said product and it's being sold new, that's fine. My post is mainly directed at resellers though. Maybe I am missing something here, but the way I see it is, if you're going to resell stuff on eBay, doesn't matter if it's new or used, either provide a real picture of what you're selling or just don't post the item on eBay at all.

Last edited:
I think it's worth mentioning that the sabers are (or were originally) poles with the effect applied over the top, so the actors had to swing something that wasn't just a handle regardless.

Yep! You can also see the effect applied in The Phantom Menace during the duel with Maul. There are some frames where Obi Wan's light saber doesn't "emit" light :lol:

That plasma saber is incredible! Seems more like a flame sword to me, though.

Right?! I loved the execution and science behind it, but it is essentially a flame sword. A flamethrower without the "thrower" portion. Yes, yes, it's plasma not a flame, but still, doesn't knock what they've been able to achieve.

Also I'll have to check out No More Heroes!

Last edited:
On twitter I follow a couple motorsport teams in WEC and WRC as well as having space and astronomy listed as interests. That's it. Everything it throws my way has been within those boundaries, but today it notified me about one I don't quite understand. The tweet is from some random woman and is in spanish, every response and retweet is in spanish, I have never seen or heard of this woman before and upon doing a search found out she's an actress in Spain. Okay... Not sure what it has to do with me or what I follow. Probably not worth the time to write this, but whatever. I've been bored lately.

This confuses me:

• gray and grey (is it American English vs British)?
  • Safe and save (I always have to look up these words before I post my post with safe or save in it).

Safe and save (I always have to look up these words before I post my post with safe or save in it).

Safe is a noun; think of it as a state of being.

Save is a verb, an action (although it can be a noun, but it's used in the context of an action).

Yep, gray is an Americanism.

Honestly thank you for clearing that up, it's always confused me as well.

Last edited:
Oh, another one.

To live
A life

I know both and what the difference is but when there is a "live" broadcasting of an i.e. sporting event, why does "live" in this case sound like "life"?

Back