Thinking of moving on from GT6, will I like this game?

• Thread starter belzebutt
  • 62 comments
You know, I play games like PC and GT and only wish there was a f1 game with this model of realism. Heck I still think the "GP" series by Geoff crammond made in the 90s still has better realism than today's f1 so called sims.

@twitcher

Iam the opposite mate, I need a car that will turn in right away, I find once I get a good line in, I can usually get a good line out and that's heaps easier for me if the front end bites right away. I can deal with the oversteer and that's what people with controllers are missing, the real chance to fight with understeer and oversteer and this can greater improve your setup as the feeling is a lot more precise. I invested in a decent wheel a while back and if people like playing racing games in general and frequently, it's a must you get one, the gameplay change is another level. Once you buy one the next thing you will do will be making a homemade park brake to use to improve your drifting technique.
:lol: I spent the better part of 5 years drifting in Gran Turismo, I know all about homemade hand brakes :P. I just don't have room in my place for a rig, and I'm not thrilled by the idea of getting a wheel but not having a perminent setup for it.

The Filtering Sensitivity is something I haven't tested all that much to be honest. I may give it a go this weekend.

The one thing that I find though is that, just like with the toe, I prefer the duller feeling in the front end. If the front end is too pointy, I find the car will violently shoot off in one direction if I make a quick steering input. The best example of this I can think of is having to react quickly to a slow moving car, or when selling a dummy in the braking zone (but not going for the dive and jinking back onto the racing line under braking).

Still, I'll play with the setting a bit and see what results I get.

It makes a huge difference, give it a go. Less filtering = wheel responding more directly to your inputs, at least in controller mode 2 and with advanced settings off. A higher filtering setting seems to delay steering response slightly, too. So it does make a huge difference in feel. A lot more than speed sensitivity, I'd say. My speed sensitivity setting is lower than yours, just 65 actually, it's more than enough. I never drive anything faster than a GT3, though.

I've tried your filtering setting (60) and it's fine, it still allows for quick corrections. Not a fan of soft steering dampening, though.

Have you set a time in the Bentley-Monza challenge? Man do I struggle with that car and the forced setup, I lose the back end so easily under acceleration... To use throttle the way you use it (to tighten corner exits without touching the steering) requires lots of skill!

You know, I play games like PC and GT and only wish there was a f1 game with this model of realism. Heck I still think the "GP" series by Geoff crammond made in the 90s still has better realism than today's f1 so called sims.

@twitcher

Iam the opposite mate, I need a car that will turn in right away, I find once I get a good line in, I can usually get a good line out and that's heaps easier for me if the front end bites right away. I can deal with the oversteer and that's what people with controllers are missing, the real chance to fight with understeer and oversteer and this can greater improve your setup as the feeling is a lot more precise. I invested in a decent wheel a while back and if people like playing racing games in general and frequently, it's a must you get one, the gameplay change is another level. Once you buy one the next thing you will do will be making a homemade park brake to use to improve your drifting technique.

Dealing with oversteer with a controller is not just an issue, it's THE ISSUE. The temptation for serious controller users is always to dull steering as much as possible and gain better control of car placement on the track, but the challenge is to actually do it without turning the car into a bus (which is what I used to do at first, now I'm forcing myself to drive all cars with a looser setup, because understeery = slow haha!)

Back