This 1991 Alfa Romeo SZ Shows Beauty Is Truly in the Eye of the Beholder

Well, I'm definitely in the camp that considers that thing truly, ghastly, fffffffuuuuggggglllllllyyyyy. But at least it is interesting and I bet a really fine machine to drive!

I saw an SZ in the flesh in Yokohama a little over two months ago. I managed to get this picture of it.

That's an RZ (or Roadster Zagato), which I believe is actually even rarer than an SZ.

Il Mostro is not a car for everyone, the styling is a bit polarizing. I quite like them but I really can see why someone wouldn't, it's a bit of an acquired taste.

Guy who owns the building over the road from work has one.

He's in the process of getting it ready to sell this year.

I think these cars are awesome. I'll almost certainly never have the chance to own one, but I'd buy an SZ or an RZ in a heartbeat if I could.

It's virtually impossible to judge this car today because so many vehicles (like almost all Alfas) of inferior design were cloned off it's styling cues. At the time it was cutting edge and intentionally brutal in its design. I'm a fan. When people say an Alfa looks like this or that car its usually true, except the Alfa usually predates what it looks like by five years.

I could've sworn "Il Mostro" referred to the Costin/Zagato Maserati 450S...
VXR
It's pretty much referred to the Serie Zagato for its entire life.
Getting slightly off topic, but without having done any research whatsoever, I can guarantee you with 100% certainty that this front window used to be another car's back window.

I remember the first pictures I ever saw of this car and thinking it was one of the best looking cars I had laid eyes on .
Then I saw the back . Which they appeared to have let the apprentices dog design .

Getting slightly off topic, but without having done any research whatsoever, I can guarantee you with 100% certainty that this front window used to be another car's back window.
I've been unable to find anything to affirm or refute that. I suspect it's not the case simply due to the type of glass required for use in windshields.

Though it occurs to me you may be joking...

:P

Back