This looks better than GT Sport, but I don't want it to be, is it?

• Thread starter SeerreuS
  • 160 comments
What if it's tricky with a controller?
I do think you need a different style of handling the controller in PC2 as opposed to GT/FM, but it's not a car-specific thing (though certain cars are more of a handful because of it).

There is nothing to lose and everything to gain.
That's not realistic racing though, or very simulator-like. If that's your definition, you're going to end up using the a-word. ;) (Which I won't because I don't think it's true).

Oh the GTS physics engine has some issues with it, and not small ones.

The tyre model at low speeds is an utter mess, understeer is way overdone and load transfer just doesn't act naturally (as a result lift off oversteer just doesn't happen). I also think that PD is well aware of this, as we once again have races and events that avoid standing start like the plague.

Ha ha, I was trying not to be too harsh.
But yes I fully agree, it's bad.

Poster Mustang RP Cup.jpg

If anyone wants to join me, I'll be racing the 1966 Mustang for 5 rounds starting in January. In terms of handling - it's very enjoyable - just brake early, change down late and use the torque. During research / testing for the series I found the lap times surprisingly similar to those set by Roy Pierpoint, Sir Gawaine Baillie and Jack Brabham (they used the Notchback Saloon in 1965) - so I think SMS have done a great job with this car - it was very enjoyable in PC1 and it's even more fun in PC2.

View attachment 689945

If anyone wants to join me, I'll be racing the 1966 Mustang for 5 rounds starting in January. In terms of handling - it's very enjoyable - just brake early, change down late and use the torque. During research / testing for the series I found the lap times surprisingly similar to those set by Roy Pierpoint, Sir Gawaine Baillie and Jack Brabham (they used the Notchback Saloon in 1965) - so I think SMS have done a great job with this car - it was very enjoyable in PC1 and it's even more fun in PC2.
You can't.....it's impossible!

I do think you need a different style of handling the controller in PC2 as opposed to GT/FM, but it's not a car-specific thing (though certain cars are more of a handful because of it).
Yes, in order to make the most of it I think you need to be willing to adopt a relatively more precise style of input. Since cars aren't saddled with abominable understeer for the sake of accessibility, you can't just ride that threshold of front end grip, though in return you can actually initiate oversteer just by cutting into the corner, which is great. Overall, it pays to be smooth and make use of the "analog" part of an analog stick for once. ;) But my settings are still dampened enough to allow quick taps for course corrections.

However, you're right that there are a few cars that just don't work. The Radbull, Rocket Bunny GT86, and RX Lite are the worst I've found; I don't know if their steering logic or physics are just messed up, but they snap-overcorrect on me if I so much as think about countersteering. They're extremely far removed from how the rest of the cars in the game drive. :confused:

I've been biding the time to see if things change with future patches.

I'm enjoying PC2 much more than GT Sport. I can play PC2 for hours on end, & for me, it doesn't get boring. I'm not degrading GT Sport, but there's nothing much to do for me. The gameplay & graphics are brilliant, but I'm not that much of an online racer. So in my opinion, I like PC2 a lot more than GT Sport.

I guess I just had to weigh in. I know the point has been proven, but I just wanted an excuse to drive the Mustang. This thing handles amazing!!! Exactly like I would want a '68 Mustang, in stock dress, to handle. I'll admit, I got a little silly on the end of my last lap, but I was just trying to see what she could handle. Anyone that says this car doesn't handle correctly, is talking out of their backside. Too fun, thanks for the suggestion.

1st Drive of the Mustang in PCARS 2 (About 3:20.00 by the time I get my seat adjusted :embarrassed:)

Last edited:
Hmmm. I do race in real life and also think that Project Cars 2 is the most realistic of the games that I have played (Project Cars 1, Gran Turismo 1 through 6, Assetta Corsa, Forza 5 & 6 and iRacing). Pure video gamers may hate PC2 because you need to be more precice with car placement, just like you do in real life. You cannot simply throw the car into the corner, turn the wheel and speed through because you were close enough.

Just think, a couple of years ago, people in this forum accused me of being a GT Fan Boy.

Wow, that is a post I can agree with it and if people can give the devs sometime to improve things!

Last edited:
View attachment 689945

If you want to have real fun and do a work out in the same time --> Take this beauty of a Mustang to Germany and conquer the Nordschleife. Have fun!

Yes, version 2.00 fixed it. Road F is a fun class for snow. :)

Thanks, I have the patch installed already but I've been playing Destiny 2 and GT Sport primarily since 2.00 came out. I've only played the game a few times since then and I haven't checked the snow handling since I was first dissapointed in it. I'll give it a go the next time I boot it up.

Unfortunatly SMS' patch notes usually only consist of "various fixes and improvements" without specific details, so you have to track down changes on the internet or experiment yourself which is an inconvenience. I was reading some steam reviews and they aren't happy about the patch notes either.

If you want to have real fun and do a work out in the same time --> Take this beauty of a Mustang to Germany and conquer the Nordschleife. Have fun!

Just did that yesterday, best driving experience i have ever had.
I recon hoever, that if you don´t have a proper FFB this can be a handfull
I came to this values:
T500
Informative
G-100
V-75
T-15
FX-50

The FFB autocorrects any oversteer and you can relly push the beast arround...

Just did that yesterday, best driving experience i have ever had.
I recon hoever, that if you don´t have a proper FFB this can be a handfull
I came to this values:
T500
Informative
G-100
V-75
T-15
FX-50

The FFB autocorrects any oversteer and you can relly push the beast arround...

I'm on PC and used the so called 'JackSpade' settings for FFB. If PCars2 on PS4 gets a very aggressive sales promo I will also buy for console to compare like I did with Assetto Corsa.

I do not like PC2 at all. In my 20 years of console gaming it truly is the only game that I regret buying.

I adore GT Sport and find it hard to stop playing it, online or off.

I guess I just had to weigh in. I know the point has been proven, but I just wanted an excuse to drive the Mustang. This thing handles amazing!!! Exactly like I would want a '68 Mustang, in stock dress, to handle. I'll admit, I got a little silly on the end of my last lap, but I was just trying to see what she could handle. Anyone that says this car doesn't handle correctly, is talking out of their backside. Too fun, thanks for the suggestion.

1st Drive of the Mustang in PCARS 2 (About 3:20.00 by the time I get my seat adjusted :embarrassed:)

Im amazed a 68 Mustang can go round a corner at 93 mph :lol:

GT sports is greater for the graphics. But tracks , cars , weather , night .... Pcars 2 is far ahead.
And yet I prefer GT Sport by a very long way. I played PCars 2 for a couple of hours at the most and I think it is awful.

And yet I prefer GT Sport by a very long way. I played PCars 2 for a couple of hours at the most and I think it is awful.
Do you care to elaborate?

So far you posted twice stating quite clearly how bad PCars is. However, you didn’t backed it up with any explanation.

I can see the pros and cons of both options and none game is bad per se.

GT sports is greater for the graphics. But tracks , cars , weather , night .... Pcars 2 is far ahead.

Agreed. After my couple week foray into GT Sport I'm back on PC2 due to it's more engaging drive, track selection, weather...the list goes on.

GT Sport is numb. There is almost no point in using a wheel on it as the FFB is awful.

For me GT Sport was about chasing those lap times and nothing more. PC2 is about exploring the plethora of cars on offer and enjoying them on multiple tracks. They all feel so distinct and unique. Then you find the different variations once more with the variety of weather/time conditions.

I would LOVE the corner cones in PC2 though. They're excellent in GT Sport.

Last edited:
Do you care to elaborate?

So far you posted twice stating quite clearly how bad PCars is. However, you didn’t backed it up with any explanation.

I can see the pros and cons of both options and none game is bad per se.
Alright, let's go -

- Pad handling is terrible out of the box and requires work to be usable. This is t opposite to what We were told

- Graphics on PS4 are terrible, and barely any better on Pro

- AI is atrocious. My stats say 38 race starts and I've yet to complete a full lap against them. In fact I mostly get wrecked right at the start and the resulting carnage is unbelievable with some AI cars launching into lower earth orbit

- Car handling is pretty bad for some vehicles

- Lots of bugs which I don't need to list here, they are mentioned on this forum and available for anyone to read about

- This game was rushed to market in an unfinished unoptimised state on PS4

It may get fixed, I live in hope. Worst game of any genre that I own.

Alright, let's go -
- Pad handling is terrible out of the box and requires work to be usable. This is t opposite to what We were told
Now aside from it being the opposite of what you are used to (unless you do actually speak for every owner), then yes pad use isn't ideal.

Its better that it was on PC1, but its still not a pick up and play title in that regard.

Nah. SLRE evo is terrible, PC2 needs some work, but for me its livable with given the other advantages the graphics compromises allow.

- AI is atrocious. My stats say 38 race starts and I've yet to complete a full lap against them. In fact I mostly get wrecked right at the start and the resulting carnage is unbelievable with some AI cars launching into lower earth orbit
Totally disagree.

I've had many races in which the AI has been perfectly fine.

Which ones, as I've seen this claim made about a number of vehicles, and in every case so far (and I don't claim to have checked every car) the issue has not been the vehcicel, but rather assumptions about how a car shodl handle that don't match reality.

The main ones for that to date are the Clio and other FWD TC's, which many have complained about without realising that these drive pretty much exactly how they should.

- Lots of bugs which I don't need to list here, they are mentioned on this forum and available for anyone to read about
Yes it has bugs, what title doesn't?

Which could be said of almost any title around.

Alright, let's go -

I am going to overlook the fact that you said you had played for two hours and then now you say you managed to have 38 race starts...

@Scaff summarised it pretty well. I can’t comment on the pad but most of the other issues are dubious or subjective.

AI is fine with me generally speaking. They need to improve behaviour in some situations like heavy rain (oh wait, something that GTS doesn’t have to deal with).

Graphics are good enough for me. I care more about a decent physics
/tire model and FFB. In this case is clear that GTS chose the better graphics way.

I think, based on your points, that you’re overreacting calling this game terrible. You just listed a few bad points (Rightly refuted by Scaff) and nothing on the bright things this game brought to the market.

Latest Posts

Back