This looks better than GT Sport, but I don't want it to be, is it?

• Thread starter SeerreuS
  • 160 comments
I am going to overlook the fact that you said you had played for two hours and then now you say you managed to have 38 race starts...

@Scaff summarised it pretty well. I can’t comment on the pad but most of the other issues are dubious or subjective.

AI is fine with me generally speaking. They need to improve behaviour in some situations like heavy rain (oh wait, something that GTS doesn’t have to deal with).

Graphics are good enough for me. I care more about a decent physics
/tire model and FFB. In this case is clear that GTS chose the better graphics way.

I think, based on your points, that you’re overreacting calling this game terrible. You just listed a few bad points (Rightly refuted by Scaff) and nothing on the bright things this game brought to the market.
There's no need to overlook anything. I stated that I would mostly get wrecked at the race start by the AI. Hit restart, it counts as another race start. Incredibly easy to rack up 38 starts when the race duration is a matter of seconds.
I spent most of my couple of hours just driving a single car on track due to this.
And yes, to me the graphics are poor. I couldn't believe the backwards step from the original which I thought looked incredible, though not as incredible as GT Sport.
I'm not overreacting, I find the game unplayable against AI in it's present state.
On a positive note, there is enjoyment to be had piloting a single car on track, but that is not why I bought the Game.
Also SMS have a good record of patch releases and engagement with the community so there is some hope that many of the issues may get sorted out. Ian Bell has mentioned that there will be a big graphics upgrade on PS4 and Pro so Ill wait and see. Because it is taking so long for that patch to drop I'm thinking there may be a lot of bug fixes included, my fingers are crossed for a super patch that will address many issues.
I'll jump back in shortly and have another go at PCars 2, I haven't done so since just after release so I may find more to like about it after having a lot of time away from it.
I just love GT Sport and am having an absolute blast with it so I'll have to put it aside and give PCars 2 another go.

There's no need to overlook anything. I stated that I would mostly get wrecked at the race start by the AI. Hit restart, it counts as another race start. Incredibly easy to rack up 38 starts when the race duration is a matter of seconds.
I spent most of my couple of hours just driving a single car on track due to this.
And yes, to me the graphics are poor. I couldn't believe the backwards step from the original which I thought looked incredible, though not as incredible as GT Sport.
I'm not overreacting, I find the game unplayable against AI in it's present state.
On a positive note, there is enjoyment to be had piloting a single car on track, but that is not why I bought the Game.
Also SMS have a good record of patch releases and engagement with the community so there is some hope that many of the issues may get sorted out. Ian Bell has mentioned that there will be a big graphics upgrade on PS4 and Pro so Ill wait and see. Because it is taking so long for that patch to drop I'm thinking there may be a lot of bug fixes included, my fingers are crossed for a super patch that will address many issues.
I'll jump back in shortly and have another go at PCars 2, I haven't done so since just after release so I may find more to like about it after having a lot of time away from it.
I just love GT Sport and am having an absolute blast with it so I'll have to put it aside and give PCars 2 another go.
What do you have the AI set to, as I have had plenty of good races against the AI

Do a race that goes from sunny to raining and back to sunny, do a long 10 lap race and please tell us it wasn't great.

The racing in the wet is sublime. The dips in the road that pool water over the course of laps. I've never felt aquaplaning so perfectly portrayed in a video game.

Ian explained why AI is such a hard thing to get right in a racing game You either have something that's completely scripted/dumb, which means it's always predictable. Or you have a fully dynamic AI that responds to every change on track in a smart way. The latter will be a lot less predictable and there's a lot more chance the AI will run into a situation where it will cock up. That's why in certain cases AI is slower/faster than others and why you had pileups in the launch version (when you funnel 32 AI cars in a narrow corner). The first patch addressed a lot of the pileup issues already and the next patch will continue more tweaks.

Personally, I'd pick dynamic AI (including issues with edge cases) over braindead AI any day. I don't want to race moving cones.

It's fine to enjoy multiple titles and alternate between them. Some people seem to have an emotional relation with a game, that's just unhealthy/creepy. In the end it's just a game. If the next big sim hits tomorrow, I'll drop this one in a heartbeat.

I been a fan of GT my whole life. For the last week I've listened to people tell me how great cars 2 is and how the physics are far superior to GT Sport. If this is true I want to buy cars 2, but only if it is ground breaking and ahead of its time. Is it worth switching?
Same for me, long time GT fan, thought I'd try PC2, heard so much about it's greatest but it sucked. PC2 looks very cloudy on PS4 pro, but they say it looks great on PC WTF??? GTS way better. PC2 has so many bugs you reach for a can of raid. So many bugs you feel itchy when you're playing it. Won't save changes to HUD or controller, sometimes save but doesn't work for the whole race. You work on your HUD hit save and when you're back on track, it goes back to default. I'd like my money back, GTS may be limited compared it's own past standards but at else everything works, PC2 is like an untested beta version from hell, something you'd give to someone you don't really like, this game, which if it worked would be fun, but no chance of that. How can so many people rave about this piece of crap? Where can I get my money back?

Same for me, long time GT fan, thought I'd try PC2, heard so much about it's greatest but it sucked. PC2 looks very cloudy on PS4 pro, but they say it looks great on PC WTF??? GTS way better. PC2 has so many bugs you reach for a can of raid. So many bugs you feel itchy when you're playing it. Won't save changes to HUD or controller, sometimes save but doesn't work for the whole race. You work on your HUD hit save and when you're back on track, it goes back to default. I'd like my money back, GTS may be limited compared it's own past standards but at else everything works, PC2 is like an untested beta version from hell, something you'd give to someone you don't really like, this game, which if it worked would be fun, but no chance of that. How can so many people rave about this piece of crap? Where can I get my money back?
Nice first post. I do wonder where all these brand new members who just bash, bash, bash come from.

What do you have the AI set to, as I have had plenty of good races against the AI

I’m on or around 70%. Do you think I should put it up or down? It must be an issue with me and where it is set otherwise this would be a much talked about problem on the forum.

I’m on or around 70%. Do you think I should put it up or down? It must be an issue with me and where it is set otherwise this would be a much talked about problem on the forum.
Is that for AI or aggresion?

I forgot there are two settings, it's for AI. I don't think the aggression is dialled up too high but it's been a while so I will have a look at it. Thanks for your help.

After playing GTS since release I’m currently downloading PC2. Gts has been fun but needs some major tweaking. For a mostly online game the available races are few and poorly selected. Physics are extremely questionable and arcadey (but fun). Online Safety rating system is far too forgiving and easy to game. Penalty system is wonky. Poeple keep saying the graphics are amazing but I found them to be over saturated and cartoonish in race. Tha track suface looks almost identical on all tracks. Hopefully the Ranking and Penalty systems will get tweeked.

I thought the look of PC2, from the online videos I’ve watched, looks much more realistic. I like the idea of more true to life physics. Race cars aren’t easy to drive.

I think it’s good that each game is taking a different approach. Obviously people will gravitate to one over the other. Diversity is good. Once I’ve given PC2 a go and GTS has had some more updates/DLC, who knows which one I’ll like better. There will never be an agreement on which is better because they are so different.

Once I’ve given PC2 a go and GTS has had some more updates/DLC, who knows which one I’ll like better. There will never be an agreement on which is better because they are so different.

And it's totally fine to play and enjoy all of them for what they offer! No need to just pick one and play it exclusively, games don't care if you cheat on them with a side game. :)

Poeple keep saying the graphics are amazing but I found them to be over saturated and cartoonish in race.
I can agree with this. In light of the discussion in the patch & update thread about "immersion" and whether PCARS2 is "ugly", when I tried the closed beta for GT Sport I thought it looked rather videogame-y, more like a Forza game than the cutting-edge photorealism the series used to be known for. Maybe because it's so clean and tidy. It's hardly unappealing, but I think the art direction in PCARS2 is more convincing.

I can agree with this. In light of the discussion in the patch & update thread about "immersion" and whether PCARS2 is "ugly", when I tried the closed beta for GT Sport I thought it looked rather videogame-y, more like a Forza game than the cutting-edge photorealism the series used to be known for. Maybe because it's so clean and tidy. It's hardly unappealing, but I think the art direction in PCARS2 is more convincing.
But I have to admit, when my son is playing Forza Motorsport 7 on our living room TV (our nicest TV), I do get a kick out of the exaggerated graphics. It's obvious they're overdone, and not what you'd see in the real world. But man, they are pretty. There's something to be said for over-indulgence, sometimes.

Really good thread and some great points being made here. So I am an old boy now 42 years old in fact.... I bought the original Gran turismo in 1998 and have purchased every title by poloyphony digital since. (including tourist trophy) Before gran turismo came along, there was nothing which immersed you like it did when it burst onto the market. I played GT6 until my PS3 died, at which point I was forced to buy a PS4. It was the best thing that ever happened to me because I discovered Asseto Corsa. I was always comfortable playing with a DS pad but when I started playing Asseto Corsa I realised I needed to evolve to a wheel to really enjoy the game, and there lays the difference. You can play GTS on a pad comfortably but Asseto Corsa demands a wheel to be an accurate driver. I bought a TM t150 and it made me realise what I have been missing all these years. When I went back to GTS Asseto Corsa made me a much better driver with a wheel and GTS seemed so easy in comparison. Take a GT3 RS around nurb on GTS and do the same on asseto corsa, the difference in physics and immersion is very noticeable. If I make an error in Asseto corsa at high speed I am rightly punished for it. On GTS the same error will not cost me as much time. It's the small details in Asseto corsa which distinguish it as a superior title in terms of driving dynamics, feeling and intensity. Gran Turismo is not the be all and end all and if you want to make yourself a better driver then invest in a few different titles because you will learn something from each. As the old saying goes knowledge is power.

Last edited:
609.jpg
:lol:

Looks like they tried to put to much into the game and failed,like the first one.with all he extra bits now added this one will play without problems so why do people take there word and keep buying it.some people never learn.

But I have to admit, when my son is playing Forza Motorsport 7 on our living room TV (our nicest TV), I do get a kick out of the exaggerated graphics. It's obvious they're overdone, and not what you'd see in the real world. But man, they are pretty. There's something to be said for over-indulgence, sometimes.
Why do our sons always have the better gear ;)

Why do our sons always have the better gear ;)
I know right? But I have to say, I'm pretty lucky that he prefers the XBox and controller to my PS4 and wheel. It's a pain to readjust my rig for a 9 year old, and then readjust everything back when he's done. I do it for him whenever he asks, but fortunately it's not often. Tomorrow he wants to try the Ford Raptor out in PCars 2 though, so I'll be making several adjustments this weekend. :rolleyes:

Give the boy his own rig already! :P

But on a more serious note: my son (7) also likes to race sometimes, so I used a permanent marker on my WSP to mark my own settings. Makes it really easy to get it back to my own setup afterwards. 👍

Give the boy his own rig already! :P

But on a more serious note: my son (7) also likes to race sometimes, so I used a permanent marker on my WSP to mark my own settings. Makes it really easy to get it back to my own setup afterwards. 👍
I try to sell my Playseat to my own 16yr old son. We're still negotiating. Guess who gets the best deal? Indeed! And he also expects Star Wars BF2 as an extra gift because the Playseat is 2nd hand. :lol:

Well I love the GT Sport online competitive racing but very difficult to finish races it's still like playing bumper cars but I suppose that will never change. I'm downloading project cars 2 and ac. I need to somehow get away from the e drivers in gt sport.

Thanks for your suggestions. I was on AI 60%, aggression about 50. So I have put AI on 70% and dropped aggression to 40 and wow, what a difference. PCars2 is no longer awful and I regret saying it was. I was very disappointed when I first got it and that is why I reacted so negatively, without taking the time to tweak the game a bit.
With the adjustments made I set up a single race at Monza and had a blast. The car handled so well (too much oversteer but I can adjust that out if necessary) and the AI were great!!
I’m very very happy with PCARS2 now. I should have realised that it was my problem and not the games because I had read that so many players were very happy with it and that it just needed tweaking to make it playable for me.
I unreservedly withdraw my overly negative previous comments.
My only gripe is the way it looks, not awful, but not that great either. There is a patch coming with improvements for the Pro, but I have read about it and seen it running on X and it really is incredible on that platform and SMS have already said that it would look significantly better on X than Pro. I’m rather jealous. ;) Regardless, I will continue to play it and enjoy it, thanks SMS.

Last edited:
Thanks for your suggestions. I was on AI 60%, aggression about 50. So I have put AI on 70% and dropped aggression to 40 and wow, what a difference. PCars2 is no longer awful and I regret saying it was. I was very disappointed when I first got it and that is why a reacted so negatively, without taking the time to tweak the game a bit.
With the adjustments made I set up a single race at Monza and had a blast. The car handled so well (too much oversteer but I can adjust that out if necessary) and the AI were great!!
I’m very very happy with PCARS2 now. I should have realised that it was my problem and not the games because I had read that so many players were very happy with it and that it just needed tweaking to make it playable for me.
I unreservedly withdraw my overly negative previous comments.
My only gripe is the way it looks, not awful, but not that great either. There is a patch coming with improvements for the Pro, but I have read about it and seen it running on X and it really is incredible on that platform and SMS have already said that it would look significantly
better on X than Pro. I’m rather jealous. ;) Regardless, I will continue to play it and enjoy it, thanks SMS.
Yep higher levels of aggression are really only for the BTCC moments.

Set it lower and it's actually really rather good, even with the single seaters.

Which ones, as I've seen this claim made about a number of vehicles, and in every case so far (and I don't claim to have checked every car) the issue has not been the vehcicel, but rather assumptions about how a car shodl handle that don't match reality.
The V12 Vantage GT3 is a good example of a bad-handling car. It's so bad actually that you can't use it competitively against the other cars of its class.

Yep higher levels of aggression are really only for the BTCC moments.

Set it lower and it's actually really rather good, even with the single seaters.
I always thought keeping it set high was better since then the AI actually makes overtaking attempts. I remember setting it once to 120/0 and they pretty much followed each other.

I always thought keeping it set high was better since then the AI actually makes overtaking attempts. I remember setting it once to 120/0 and they pretty much followed each other.
Zero is a hit extreme to say the least, I did say lower rather than non existent.

I'll try the 70/40 and see how that works. The 120 was just a test to see if outright pace will overcome aggressiveness and they'll still try overtaking maneuvers. Not so much.

How about for multi class races? I've been using around 50-75 AI strength with 100 aggression for custom GT3/GT4 races, only because I felt like the AI needed to be super aggressive, so not to be held-up by the slower class cars too much.

Back