Thrustmaster T-GT Wheel Thread

It turns out T-GT is simply GT branded PS4 version based on TS-PC and isn't direct drive. I feel...

• Excited - Still a new and the improved wheel for PS4 by Thrustmaster

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Fine - Knew it won't be direct drive all along

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Disappointed - Not a direct drive

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Extremely Disappointed - Not drive drive and poor pedals set

Votes: 15 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Save yourself the headache and STAY AWAY FROM THRUSTMASTER.

Update re. TGT Failure. So after 1 week of having a video of the TGT failure to review and being promised an update last Friday, I chase TM up this morning. The guy on the phone said his collegue who is dealing with my case will update me when he gets into work later today. I got annoyed at this and the guy on the phone said he would look into it himself while I waited.
Only now have they requested for the wheel to be sent back. They will only send a replacement out once they receive the broken unit, which will more than likely mean I am without a wheel until the New Year. What a joke. STAY AWAY FROM THE T-GT

Out of the box, my TGT pedals had configuration issues. The brake pedal was reading full brakes when it had only travelled half way. I managed to reset this with TMs guidance from the manual.

After such an awful consumer experience with THRUSTMASTER I think we deserve more than just a replacement unit when these TGT fail.

I'm still waiting for TM to advise of the next step with my repair. However, I managed to get the Ps4pro to recognise the TGT ( not as just a controller) which luckily provided the transducer feel in Gtsport again. Did this by removing the rim from the Base and reinserting it a few times while the ps4 is at the home screen. Paddles L2 r2 and Ps button still not working. Remapping gear up and gear down to any other button on the wheel sucks. Switching to auto solves this issue but auto sucks!
All I could find in the manual was to not plug them in after the wheel is already on. Plugged in before and it's still the same. The brake pedal is fine, so my uneducated guess is the sensors are loose on the other two pedals or something like that. T3PA Pro work fine in the same wheel so it can't be the wheel and unlikely to be software based if they're basically the same under the skin.

That is frustrating. I would have given up and asked my money back. Thrustmaster really need to do something about their quality control! Guess I was lucky with my set.
I'd love to but whatever else I do results in a not ideal situation so it's annoying. If I go TS-PC + T300 I'll spend the same money but lose the transducer and the T-GT's better rubber gribs (TX ones came off and wouldn't stick back on) and nice extra rim. If I go CSLE then I downgrade the rim slightly (CSLE rim is nice but buttons further from hands) and lose the T-GT rim and TS-PC rim and transducer for the same cost. But my patience is wearing very thin, one more problem and I'm definitely going to Fanatec. I wish there was another competitor (hint: Logitech) making similar level super reliable stuff.

Wow man, so sorry you're going through this. I'm fortunate enough to have already bought t3pa pedals, and use those. I have to admit the pedals that come with the T-GT are stiff, but functional. I prefer the feel of the tp3a's though.
Cheers, I've got T3PA Pro and was planning to sell the GT pedals but I can't sell faulty ones obviously and I'm gonna be fearing rage messages and negative feedback when they fail 2 weeks later, or alternatively the hassle of returns/refunds/warranty claim/sell again.

I'm still not over the fact that I purchased 2 x T-GT's on GT Sport Launch Week, Both having faulty T3PGT Pedal Sets. Both having to wait nearly a month in £1400 in Refunds before I could try and attempt to purchase another Wheel. It's completely ruined the trust I have in the Brand and I can't help but look badly at them for this as I when I reached out to them for support over Social Media on both Twitter & Facebook and also over the phone I was ignored. (Copy & Paste Reply over the Phone) Made me sick that I could shell out over £700 for a Product which is brand new to them for them to have no alertness of fixing it for me straight away made me furious.

I know I'm not alone in feeling this as another GTPlanet user @thefraggle experienced exactly the same around the GT Launch and to this Date I'm still Wheel'less as I bought a T300 Alcantara Edition which also had to be sent back as the right Paddle Shifter was faulty. I'm done with TM as I never received a personalised reply despite me reaching out on so many occasions. The T500RS Will go down in being one of the most reliable wheels. But I genuinely shouldn't have to feel like I have to go back in time to 2011 to have a Wheel optimised for the PS3 & Barely PS4 Compatible It's hardly future proof for all the money I'd be shelling out.

Neither companies have great people you can contact but have decided to go down the Fanatec Route for the CSL Elite & With the New McLaren GT3 Rim coming out this February It's a no brainer. I'm Just done with TM as a Brand.

Thrustmaster is the Brand I want to love, They make some awesome products (599XX Rim, Sparco R383 Rim & Even that New 250 GTO but for me as a person who has gone through over 7 Thrustmaster Wheels in the space of Two Years It's Just unacceptable.

(2 x T300RS GT Editions (GT Sport Closed Beta over 2 Weeks), 2 x T300RS Alcantara Editions, 2 x T-GT's (GT Sport Launch over 2 Weeks) & Last but not least the T500RS which was Rock Solid & Only got rid of It to trade up to the T-GT.

Yeah man I've gone from thinking other people are not treating them well/the loud minority to thinking nah there really is something wrong here and it must be getting worse as years go on. As you say T500RS seems to be regarded as Logitech levels of reliability, the T300 onwards seem way more likely to break and I've personally had multiple TM products 2015-2016 with zero issues, the ones left are still working after 6-36 months while I can't seem to get a fully working one in 2017. Your failure record is ridiculous too. I'm strongly pulled to Fanatec like you but doing so either means spending loads more money or losing out on rims/backup pedals.

By the sounds of all these returns, I think Thrustmaster is going to get dropped by retailers soon haha.

Undecided as to where I'm going to go from here. I have 3 options:
1) Take the hits of losing multiple really nice rims and backup pedals and get a CSL E
2) Keep trying indefinitely until I get one.
3) Try to engage with Thrustmaster support for a new set of pedals and keep this T-GT.

I'm going to wait until I get GT Sport before I do anything. If the transducer doesn't impress me or is wasted on me due to not having a rig then that will be another mark in favour of Fanatec.

Has anyone used the Clubsport shifter? Bit of a dilemma as to whether I get that or do without a shifter for GT Sport if I do go to Fanatec.

Edit: Just tested my T3PA Pro pedals and they actually do it as well but only very slightly hence why I've never noticed before. They have like 0.5cm travel before anything registers. Suggests I might be right about something being loose maybe.

Last edited:
All I could find in the manual was to not plug them in after the wheel is already on. Plugged in before and it's still the same. The brake pedal is fine, so my uneducated guess is the sensors are loose on the other two pedals or something like that. T3PA Pro work fine in the same wheel so it can't be the wheel and unlikely to be software based if they're basically the same under the skin.

I'd love to but whatever else I do results in a not ideal situation so it's annoying. If I go TS-PC + T300 I'll spend the same money but lose the transducer and the T-GT's better rubber gribs (TX ones came off and wouldn't stick back on) and nice extra rim. If I go CSLE then I downgrade the rim slightly (CSLE rim is nice but buttons further from hands) and lose the T-GT rim and TS-PC rim and transducer for the same cost. But my patience is wearing very thin, one more problem and I'm definitely going to Fanatec. I wish there was another competitor (hint: Logitech) making similar level super reliable stuff.

Cheers, I've got T3PA Pro and was planning to sell the GT pedals but I can't sell faulty ones obviously and I'm gonna be fearing rage messages and negative feedback when they fail 2 weeks later, or alternatively the hassle of returns/refunds/warranty claim/sell again.

Yeah man I've gone from thinking other people are not treating them well/the loud minority to thinking nah there really is something wrong here and it must be getting worse as years go on. As you say T500RS seems to be regarded as Logitech levels of reliability, the T300 onwards seem way more likely to break and I've personally had multiple TM products 2015-2016 with zero issues, the ones left are still working after 6-36 months while I can't seem to get a fully working one in 2017. Your failure record is ridiculous too. I'm strongly pulled to Fanatec like you but doing so either means spending loads more money or losing out on rims/backup pedals.

By the sounds of all these returns, I think Thrustmaster is going to get dropped by retailers soon haha.

1) Take the hits of losing multiple really nice rims and backup pedals and get a CSL E
3) Try to engage with Thrustmaster support for a new set of pedals and keep this T-GT.

I'm going to wait until I get GT Sport before I do anything. If the transducer doesn't impress me or is wasted on me due to not having a rig then that will be another mark in favour of Fanatec.

Has anyone used the Clubsport shifter? Bit of a dilemma as to whether I get that or do without a shifter for GT Sport if I do go to Fanatec.

Edit: Just tested my T3PA Pro pedals and they actually do it as well but only very slightly hence why I've never noticed before. They have like 0.5cm travel before anything registers. Suggests I might be right about something being loose maybe.
If you drive h-shifter cars the CSS is amazing, much better than the Thrustmaster one which is a cheap toy in comparison and very easy to change between h-shifter and sequential modes.

I had to take the pedals apart when they first arrived as the brake spring was catching (on the pedal) which made a clicking noise. I can't remember exactly what I did to reconfigure, but do recall it having an issue with the brake pedal travel.

Having watched the submitted TGT failure video with me holding the line on the phone, Thurstmaster customer service promised that someone would contact me yesterday afternoon to arrange for the TGT to be replaced. No email or call. On A/L now and really disappointed that I can't use GT Sport with the transducer. £700 spent on a terrible product just before Christmas. Anyone else thinking we should consider legal action as a group?

I had to take the pedals apart when they first arrived as the brake spring was catching (on the pedal) which made a clicking noise. I can't remember exactly what I did to reconfigure, but do recall it having an issue with the brake pedal travel.

Having watched the submitted TGT failure video with me holding the line on the phone, Thurstmaster customer service promised that someone would contact me yesterday afternoon to arrange for the TGT to be replaced. No email or call. On A/L now and really disappointed that I can't use GT Sport with the transducer. £700 spent on a terrible product just before Christmas. Anyone else thinking we should consider legal action as a group?
As long as they replace it you should be good. However if you think the service isn’t good enough you should report an official complaint and just ask your money back. The problem with Fanatec right now is that the CSL pedals aren’t in stock anymore...

Update: Finally got through to TM on the support phone line just a moment ago. They were meant to sent me an email yesterday re. the process for sending back the broken TGT. I went ape sh t on the phone and demanded they send me a replacement now, without receipt of my broken unit. If I were to wait for them to receive the broken one before the ship the new one out, I would probably be without the wheel until early Jan due to xmas post demands. I demanded to speak to a manager. Finally they agreed to send me a new unit tomorrow and when I am ready I will send back the broken one (which may take some time as I have little energy left after dealing with TM). Bearing in mind the Broken one still works if your driving in auto, not needing to push the PS button or L2/R2. I will let you know if I in fact get the replacement delivered this week.

Update: Finally got through to TM on the support phone line just a moment ago. They were meant to sent me an email yesterday re. the process for sending back the broken TGT. I went ape sh t on the phone and demanded they send me a replacement now, without receipt of my broken unit. If I were to wait for them to receive the broken one before the ship the new one out, I would probably be without the wheel until early Jan due to xmas post demands. I demanded to speak to a manager. Finally they agreed to send me a new unit tomorrow and when I am ready I will send back the broken one (which may take some time as I have little energy left after dealing with TM). Bearing in mind the Broken one still works if your driving in auto, not needing to push the PS button or L2/R2. I will let you know if I in fact get the replacement delivered this week.

Sometimes you gotta force it. About 5 years ago I had an issue with a TX wheel for Xbox. I ended up posting it on YouTube.... and sent them the public link. Needless to say, they acted quickly. I'm not sure if you did the same, but that seemed to put the pressure on.

Turns out the guy on the phone this afternoon at TM lied about sending me a replacement unit tomorrow, regardless of receiving my broken one first. \i followed up on my telecom with an email requesting confirmation on our discussions. I actually got a timely response for once, advising that they do in fact require receipt of the broken unit before releasing the replacement. Idecided to take Ghost30's advice and upload the vid of the broken TGT to youtube. Will share on TMs social media spaces later (and here). Is the transducer really worth all of this effort?
Sometimes you gotta force it. About 5 years ago I had an issue with a TX wheel for Xbox. I ended up posting it on YouTube.... and sent them the public link. Needless to say, they acted quickly. I'm not sure if you did the same, but that seemed to put the pressure on.

Turns out the guy on the phone this afternoon at TM lied about sending me a replacement unit tomorrow, regardless of receiving my broken one first. I followed up on my telecom with an email requesting confirmation on our discussions. I actually got a timely response for once, advising that they do in fact require receipt of the broken unit before releasing the replacement. I decided to take Ghost30's advice and upload the vid of the broken TGT to YouTube. Will share on TM's social media spaces later (and here). Is the transducer really worth all of this effort?

Turns out the guy on the phone this afternoon at TM lied about sending me a replacement unit tomorrow, regardless of receiving my broken one first. \i followed up on my telecom with an email requesting confirmation on our discussions. I actually got a timely response for once, advising that they do in fact require receipt of the broken unit before releasing the replacement. Idecided to take Ghost30's advice and upload the vid of the broken TGT to youtube. Will share on TMs social media spaces later (and here). Is the transducer really worth all of this effort?

Personally I like the T-GT a lot, especially compared to the t300 I was using. it feels way more refined. I'm personally having a great time with it in GT Sport. For me it's worth it, even though it is over priced. But the bottom line is that it gives me great satisfaction when using it. Once GT Sport gets fleshed out with more content, I'm sure I'll be playing the game for a while. The 800$ Spent is already being put to good use.

That's really weird. Assume you've tried flashing the firmware? Do any other rims work on the base? Maybe there's some bad soldering going on inside the rim. They have a plug inside, but I think if it was unplugged the rim would be completely dead rather than having some buttons working.

Base started making this clicking noise turning at various points as well lol
Guessing something is loose and lightly brushing something as I turn, I can't feel it in the steering.

It seems my transducer doesn’t work anymore since the patch. Anyone else experiencing the same?

Edit: did some more testing on different cars, turning the wheel on and of but still no response from the transducer.

Last edited:
It seems my transducer doesn’t work anymore since the patch. Anyone else experiencing the same?

Edit: did some more testing on different cars, turning the wheel on and of but still no response from the transducer.

Everything working fine here. I didn't do any wheel updates btw. I use Macs.

Mine working fine too. Running latest firmware (v4 I think) though.

Thanks for the replies!

Guess it’s time for a call to TM after christmas. It’s weird because I know for sure it was working fine on thursday, I immediately felt it after the patch, but I guess it’s just bad luck.

The 3rd T-GT came and this is beyond a joke now. Astonishingly the paddles work fine but it's still probably 80% as coggy as the 2nd (not quite as much of a loud bassy vibration but I can still clearly feel it while driving at moderate speeds), but more importantly the pedals aren't working properly. The clutch and accelerator are just unreactive to input. They work but they have like 5cm of play either side before the sensor registers any movement. Anyone else seen that problem? Possible I could just tighten something? I'm now seriously considering throwing this idea of a T-GT out the window and either sticking to the working TS-PC I have and get a T300 for GT Sport or go to Fanatec. Otherwise I might be here sending and receiving wheels until next Christmas. Either I've won the anti-lottery or Thrustmaster uses the worst factory they could have found in China. I wish I'd just accepted the first one with the dodgey paddle now...
Get your money back and give fanatec a try. Create your own dead zone with the fanatec software. You can customize every aspect of the wheel on the fly. Whenever you change the stiffness of the peddles you can manually calibrate the peddle travel to match the stiffness, and then using the wheel you can adjust the brake force on the fly. The led's on the wheel will tell you when you have reached full travel and then you can adjust the brake force setting right on the wheel to increase or decrease the travel precisely. As a former T-GT owner I can say it is inferior to the csl in so many ways. No sense in having all that ffb if it's not smooth, but a lot of that may have something to do with the games. The ffb on the csl must be adjusted also for fidelity and smoothness witch you can do directly on the wheel or in game.

Hey guys,
i was wondering if we need to do an UPDATE on the wheel to play GT Sport on PS4.

I red on Thrusmaster website there is an update available but, is it just to play on PC ?

Also, my settings are actually 3 and 1 sensitivity and I like it. :)

The fit is okay on my Playseat Challenge.
I bought my chair 269.95$ CAN at Costco.ca btw. :D

Get your money back and give fanatec a try. Create your own dead zone with the fanatec software. You can customize every aspect of the wheel on the fly. Whenever you change the stiffness of the peddles you can manually calibrate the peddle travel to match the stiffness, and then using the wheel you can adjust the brake force on the fly. The led's on the wheel will tell you when you have reached full travel and then you can adjust the brake force setting right on the wheel to increase or decrease the travel precisely. As a former T-GT owner I can say it is inferior to the csl in so many ways. No sense in having all that ffb if it's not smooth, but a lot of that may have something to do with the games. The ffb on the csl must be adjusted also for fidelity and smoothness witch you can do directly on the wheel or in game.

Allthough for a lot of people a pro... it can be a con for some. Too many settings can frustrate some. It is one of the reasons I dumped Windows PC for Mac OS X. I am very tempted to go Fanatec, but knowing myself I will be tweaking the settings 50% of the time in stead of enjoying the game. That was one of the strong points of Thrustmaster and Logitech. Plug and playability is important for me even though Fanatec is a better product on paper. Thanks for the pics by the way! It really made me jealous! Going to wait till McLaren rim is released to decide if I’m going to sell my current setup.

Hey guys,
i was wondering if we need to do an UPDATE on the wheel to play GT Sport on PS4.

I red on Thrusmaster website there is an update available but, is it just to play on PC ?

Also, my settings are actually 3 and 1 sensitivity and I like it. :)

The fit is okay on my Playseat Challenge.
I bought my chair 269.95$ CAN at Costco.ca btw. :D
The firmware update is not required but recommended and is also for PS4 features and not PC only.
The recent firmware did fix an issue for me where the TH8a wouldn’t register in GT-sport. Fixed now. I use 5 and 8 settings

Last edited:
Allthough for a lot of people a pro... it can be a con for some. Too many settings can frustrate some. It is one of the reasons I dumped Windows PC for Mac OS X. I am very tempted to go Fanatec, but knowing myself I will be tweaking the settings 50% of the time in stead of enjoying the game. That was one of the strong points of Thrustmaster and Logitech. Plug and playability is important for me even though Fanatec is a better product on paper. Thanks for the pics by the way! It really made me jealous! Going to wait till McLaren rim is released to decide if I’m going to sell my current setup.

The firmware update is not required but recommended and is also for PS4 features and not PC only.
The recent firmware did fix an issue for me where the TH8a wouldn’t register in GT-sport. Fixed now.
That's not really how the settings work, once you've got it setup how you like you never need to change anything just like the others. Where it's really useful is where the game doesn't give enough options to adjust things how you want, I had 5 profiles I'd switch between, one for AC, one for Automobilsta and RRRE, one for PCars and then the other two with 450DOR and 360DOR for stuff like Codemasters games which didn't set it automatically.

UPDATE Re. Broken TG -

Thrustmaster sent a replacement Base and Rim. I fitted the new rim to the old base and for the moment all buttons and features now work.

Side note:
TM requested I send the broken rim and old base back. I left my wife to package this up and I think she mistook the T-GT for rubbish and had possibly posted TM the contents of our recycling bin. TM have emailed me today with pictures of the items my wife had sent, and have requested that a broken TGT be returned immediately otherwise they will bill me for the replacement base and rim. I have told them to please be patent as I am experiencing a high volume of complaints based on items that my family have posted over Christmas. I have also requested a short video of the issue so I can better establish the exact problem. I have given them my support telephone number and have advised them to try to call for at least 20 times before someone will pick up as our workers actually only work for roughly 10 mins per day.

Attachments

• tmemail.jpg
    tmemail.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
UPDATE Re. Broken TG -

Thrustmaster sent a replacement Base and Rim. I fitted the new rim to the old base and for the moment all buttons and features now work.

Side note:
TM requested I send the broken rim and old base back. I left my wife to package this up and I think she mistook the T-GT for rubbish and had possibly posted TM the contents of our recycling bin. TM have emailed me today with pictures of the items my wife had sent, and have requested that a broken TGT be returned immediately otherwise they will bill me for the replacement base and rim. I have told them to please be patent as I am experiencing a high volume of complaints based on items that my family have posted over Christmas. I have also requested a short video of the issue so I can better establish the exact problem. I have given them my support telephone number and have advised them to try to call for at least 20 times before someone will pick up as our workers actually only work for roughly 10 mins per day.
LMAO.

Finally had a look at the pedals. The cause is that these cogs don't link up properly. You can see the comparison between the faulty throttle (1st clip) and the brake (2nd clip) which works fine.

Doesn't look fixable to me, mounted at a bad angle or spaced too far or wrong size or something.

Basically what I said, before I got burnt by a certain few members, this is the best wheel for GT sport at the moment. But not necessarily the best choice for everyone, if you consider the price and the pedals you get in this package. If the same pedalset came with a loadcell brake it would have been a far better package then what it is at the moment.

Get it when you can get a good deal on it.

I have not watched that review and I'm still working on my review of the CSL Elite vs my experience with the T-GT I returned but as a preview my review will not agree with that claim in bold.

The recent firmware did fix an issue for me where the TH8a wouldn’t register in GT-sport. Fixed now. I use 5 and 8 settings

I'm a perfect example for ADHD, I get distracted by anything and too many options are almost always a bad thing for me as normally I'll keep tweaking for ever...

BUT

Not an issue with the CSL Elite. The options on the rim are similar to what you find in a PC driver normally. The options are straight forward and simple and I have not suffered option paralysis. I have a general preset for PC that gives me the best experience with most games. I have a different preset for GT Sport that gives me the best experience with GT Sport. I have another preset for Dirt Rally on PC that again I feel gives me the best experience for that game. PC runs on red mode. GT Sport runs on Purple mode, PC2 runs on blue mode but I use my main PC preset with blue mode on PC2 on the PS4. Things like brake sensitivity give you options but you'll discover the setting you like and stick to it, the only time you might consider changing it is when you play a game that reacts different and you want more or less sensitivity. Being able to change the degrees of rotation comes in handy when the game does not match the input for some reason or if you just want the steering to be more responsive. Other settings like Drift mode are very intuitive, I either set it as low as it will go without oscillation or choose to turn it off and never let go of the wheel because I prefer the feel. As long as you read the manual the settings are simple and as someone who always suffers from option paralysis I give it the tick of approval in this regard.

Last edited:
Back